Author Topic: The Other Forums Thread for 90's Kids ONLY  (Read 2174504 times)

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #15780 on: February 13, 2018, 05:27:44 PM »
Hope I'm not stepping bounds (i'm white) but I think its fine and is important for young kids to develop. I will visit my parents on Halloween sometimes and I've seen boys as Elsa.

(he's white)

nudemacusers

Re: The Other Forums Gentlemen's Thread for Refined Discussion of Uncouth Behavior
« Reply #15781 on: February 13, 2018, 05:30:12 PM »
Why can’t you fuckers be normal?
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #15782 on: February 13, 2018, 05:31:28 PM »
Etiolate, you are kind of contradicting your point given how much you are obsessing about Black Panther and representation.

People can identify with any fictional character whatever race or not is involved, that is true. But there is nothing really wrong in looking up a fictional hero because “he looks like me”.

There is the one thing wrong I keep pointing to: It's pretty shallow and reflects a shallow understanding of your self.

That doesn't mean there can't be power fantasy or liking a character that is pure escapism from your life. That's fine. The discussion was that because he's black he now represents that for black kids. That's just dumb in a very shallow way.

Honestly, it just sounds like you've never been a minority for an extended period of time.

I kinda agree with Etiolate. I personally would rather focus on my capabilities as a individual to outplay the somewhat rigged game as opposed to investing in some dumbass manufactured spectacle that will probably mean nothing for me down the line. Being a minority myself(though not in US), this hype seems like escapism to me. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not real and only worth some shits and giggles.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15783 on: February 13, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »
I don't see what the fuzz is all about.
Black Panther looks like a good movie, unlike the Ghostbusters movie. Black folks seem thrilled that they got a cool movie with black actors.

There's nothing wrong with fandom for a good movie. The Ghostbusters thing was much more disturbing, because the movie was shit and people pretended it was not.
🤴

etiolate

« Reply #15784 on: February 13, 2018, 05:34:06 PM »

Are you saying I don't blend in well with most people?

How dare you deny my glorious white privilege.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
serge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15786 on: February 13, 2018, 05:36:55 PM »
etiolate why do you frame everything as if someone has to have a literal "thought"?

"Gee he's black, therefore I relate!" is not the entire story;  media does affect people.  It's why propaganda exists and is effective as hell.  So a black kid growing up in a culture where there are little to no black heroes, or black anything besides sterotypes in media has an effect.  Just like even though you don't have literal thoughts like "Iron Man is white, he's like me!" you are still affected by the fact you grow up in a culture with an endless array of white representation.
Mr T. from the A-Team was my hero as a kid as much as Terminator, Pikachu and Goku.

Adults are going in way to deep on this.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #15787 on: February 13, 2018, 05:38:07 PM »
What kind of underwear do you think Black Panther wears? His panther suit is pretty tight, so I don't think it would be boxers because that would get all bunched up. I don't think he would be going commando either because all that texture on his suit would chafe, and we would definitely see an imprint of his big black dick. I would guess he wears a thong, so he doesn't get visible underwear lines.

Tom Holland confirmed he had to wear a thong when portraying Spider-Man, fwiw.

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
« Reply #15788 on: February 13, 2018, 05:38:15 PM »
 :kobeyuck

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #15789 on: February 13, 2018, 05:41:08 PM »
What kind of underwear do you think Black Panther wears? His panther suit is pretty tight, so I don't think it would be boxers because that would get all bunched up. I don't think he would be going commando either because all that texture on his suit would chafe, and we would definitely see an imprint of his big black dick. I would guess he wears a thong, so he doesn't get visible underwear lines.
Can you (or TVC) do some speculating on what the Emperor might be wearing or not on his big day? Also what he may have wore or not that night after the party.

whew look at all those medals he's got (from himself naturally), must be heavy but he seems okay with carrying around heavy things :uguu

TVC15

« Reply #15790 on: February 13, 2018, 05:45:30 PM »
Can you (or TVC) do some speculating on what the Emperor might be wearing or not on his big day? Also what he may have wore or not that night after the party.
(Image removed from quote.)

whew look at all those medals he's got (from himself naturally), must be heavy but he seems okay with carrying around heavy things :uguu

Black people are the best drag queens. I suspect even non-drag queen black folks can perform a decent tuck.
serge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #15791 on: February 13, 2018, 05:45:56 PM »

:beli

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #15792 on: February 13, 2018, 05:55:13 PM »
Black Panther looks like a good movie, unlike the Ghostbusters movie. Black folks seem thrilled that they got a cool movie with black actors.

There's nothing wrong with fandom for a good movie. The Ghostbusters thing was much more disturbing, because the movie was shit and people pretended it was not.

That's not really what the discussion is about though. Certain people started melting down after I made fun of this post and specifically this sentence:

Releasing Black Panther in the middle of Black History month was a great move because it not only gives the black community something to bond over, but something to be proud of.

I don't really have a problem with a black kid saying, "cool, a black superhero!" but there's a loooooooooong way to go between that and the aforementioned identity politics delusions sprinkled with a heavy dose of corporate marketing excretion.

benjipwns

« Reply #15793 on: February 13, 2018, 05:57:59 PM »
how come nobody ever discusses the real problem is that Wakanda's "secret technology" and "high living standards for the elite" are being funded by the king's selling off conflict minerals from a meteor (that causes high rates of cell mutation) to Western nations for their use almost exclusively in weaponry (and a shield for this one dope who fell out of a plane in the 1940's)

what kind of message does that send to our children?

and why wasn't Lord of War praised for showing the story of a second generation immigrant small businessman who makes his family wealthy by selling excess goods from one market to people in need in other markets?

Nola

« Reply #15794 on: February 13, 2018, 06:04:06 PM »
I am anti-nonsense and anti-bullshit.

And pretty anti-thebore because of the true vile nature of people here.

I don't have a political tribe, because that ends up with you defending bullshit and nonsense. People here think I'm conservative or whatever because they haven't ran into certain ideas of information before. Though it may be that anyone who disagrees with them has to be right wing. A lot of people here are only a feather's throw away from REEEEEEEEEEEset.

I don't visit the US politics thread often here because it's basically 90% r/politics with liberal distinguished mentally-challenged fellows pointlessly reeeeeeeeeing about Trump and like members of a cult expecting the Russian conspiracy second coming any time now but from the little I've read you seemed like the opposite side of the same shitty coin. Then again you might act as the contrarian there which would be partly justified given the level of distinguished mentally-challenged exhibited in that thread so I'll refrain from judgment.
http://www.thebore.com/forum/index.php?topic=45412.0

Just saying. Perhaps you all have more in common with the depressed, absolutist "reeeeee" caricature you all are constantly framing and using to gobble people up into when you get into intellectual conflict with them? Including with one another?

Boredfrom

« Reply #15795 on: February 13, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »
You guys understand that Resetera is this shallow and they regurgitate corporate press realeses so they are hyperbolic even by video game forum standards?

FUME5

« Reply #15796 on: February 13, 2018, 06:15:37 PM »
I understand why it feels good to be rapresented (I'm a minority myself), but maybe because I'm withe and European, but I can't understand why modern-day black Americans care about their African ancestry? Like, no more White Americans don't care about their European ancestry.  Like, I get that in many cases for their ancestors coming to America wasn't a conscious choice, but you have a culture nowadays, it's the American one.

So why do you have the username of a Malaysian guy?

etiolate

« Reply #15797 on: February 13, 2018, 06:17:47 PM »
how come nobody ever discusses the real problem is that Wakanda's "secret technology" and "high living standards for the elite" are being funded by the king's selling off conflict minerals from a meteor (that causes high rates of cell mutation) to Western nations for their use almost exclusively in weaponry (and a shield for this one dope who fell out of a plane in the 1940's)

and why wasn't Lord of War praised for showing the story of a second generation immigrant small businessman who makes his family wealthy by selling excess goods from one market to people in need in other markets?

You're skipping the part where Wakanda supports a registry program for other people's citizens.

nudemacusers

« Reply #15798 on: February 13, 2018, 06:19:27 PM »

:beli
Do you have an issue with a luxury perforated lambskin men’s undergarment? And are you implying the genesis of self-actualization and expression through the lens of body aesthetics is not a noble pursuit, but instead aberrant and without integrity?
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

TVC15

serge

benjipwns

« Reply #15800 on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:54 PM »
my favorite part is that Marvel writers spread the vibranium so much over the years* that they had to create a bunch of non-Wakandian sources for it because T'Challa wouldn't have provided it under his previously stated ethical code, which also would remove the resource monopoly they held and likely tanked the Wakandian economy leaving the technology as their only export and reducing its value, wait no, my actual favorite part is the whole thing where Cap's shield had fucking cancer (the real Super C) that could spread to other vibranium (i'm so glad this is on the wikipedia page so not just the other nerds know i'm not making up this storyline) which probably would have likely also been hard on the Wakandian economy

also the country hasn't been "secret" since the 1960's, none of its continued status in the comics makes sense anymore, though in the Marvel Universe i'd say hardly in comparison to every single facet of Latveria from its origin to modern day and probably beyond

but hold up the main thing is i gotta complain about how this comic book film adaptation** isn't presenting an accurate portrayal of modern African political history by adapting this part straight (but time-shifted like the rest of the MCU)

*they same thing they did to also once rare, near impossible to replicate, adamantium :doge
**from the same shared film universe where the entire history of the American government post-war was exposed as a self-defeating Hydra plot
spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: A Link To The Past on NeoGAF.com
Also, the person who made this gif:

Was either having a laugh, doesn't understand genre, or is a DC fan. Just because a film has some superhero shenanigans doesn't change the fact that much of the movie absolutely does fit that genre mold.
the twist in the political thriller i'm writing is that the President was a DC Fan the entire time!
[close]
[close]

TVC15

« Reply #15801 on: February 13, 2018, 06:27:49 PM »
my favorite part is that Marvel writers spread the vibranium so much over the years* that they had to create a bunch of non-Wakandian sources for it because T'Challa wouldn't have provided it under his previously stated ethical code, which also would remove the resource monopoly they held and likely tanked the Wakandian economy leaving the technology as their only export and reducing its value, wait no, my actual favorite part is the whole thing where Cap's shield had fucking cancer (the real Super C) that could spread to other vibranium (i'm so glad this is on the wikipedia page so not just the other nerds know i'm not making up this storyline) which probably would have likely also been hard on the Wakandian economy

also the country hasn't been "secret" since the 1960's, none of its continued status in the comics makes sense anymore, though in the Marvel Universe i'd say hardly in comparison to every single facet of Latveria from its origin to modern day and probably beyond

but hold up the main thing is i gotta complain about how this comic book film adaptation** isn't presenting an accurate portrayal of modern African political history by adapting this part straight (but time-shifted like the rest of the MCU)

*they same thing they did to also once rare, near impossible to replicate, adamantium :doge
**from the same shared film universe where the entire history of the American government post-war was exposed as a self-defeating Hydra plot

Quote from: A Link To The Past on NeoGAF.com
Also, the person who made this gif:

Was either having a laugh, doesn't understand genre, or is a DC fan. Just because a film has some superhero shenanigans doesn't change the fact that much of the movie absolutely does fit that genre mold.
the twist in the political thriller i'm writing is that the President was a DC Fan the entire time!
[close]
[close]

:nerds
serge

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15802 on: February 13, 2018, 06:29:12 PM »

That's not really what the discussion is about though. Certain people started melting down after I made fun of this post and specifically this sentence:

Releasing Black Panther in the middle of Black History month was a great move because it not only gives the black community something to bond over, but something to be proud of.

I don't really have a problem with a black kid saying, "cool, a black superhero!" but there's a loooooooooong way to go between that and the aforementioned identity politics delusions sprinkled with a heavy dose of corporate marketing excretion.
If that's how they feel, I don't really see the problem with it. I find this much less disturbing than trying to turn radical post-modern ideals into policy and laws. The hoopla about Black Panther will last until the movie is out of the cinema's.
You're free to either watch the movie or not.

Risky move for Disney/Marvel though. They've now thrown themselves into that arena. If they mess up say a black or female portrayal in another movie or one of their actors or producers turns out to be racist as shit they're going to be cheeseburger sharked rather quick.
🤴

nudemacusers

« Reply #15803 on: February 13, 2018, 06:32:56 PM »
http://reddit.com/r/morbidquestions/comments/7xctpu/is_having_pictures_of_my_butthole_on_my_phone_for/
I’d like to imagine this is actually a 45yo married overweight company polo wearing minivan driving tech nerd whose only sexual release is in specifically pretending to be a 16 hemorrhoid sufferer who carries a pictures of his anus on his phone for doctors and must also ask strangers about it online.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #15804 on: February 13, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »
No they're not you dweeb, they're Disney. They could remake Song of the South tomorrow and it would turn a profit if they throw some dumb space lizard with a lazer sword in it

Boredfrom

« Reply #15805 on: February 13, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
No they're not you dweeb, they're Disney. They could remake Song of the South tomorrow and it would turn a profit if they throw some dumb space lizard with a lazer sword in it

Wha...

benjipwns

« Reply #15806 on: February 13, 2018, 06:37:10 PM »
I have a call for you from a Robert...EEegar?

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #15807 on: February 13, 2018, 06:39:16 PM »
I love NYT threads.
Called to cancel...they offered me 2 free months and a lower rate. I'll stick for now because the actual paper is great, but the editorial section needs to fuck off already.
a deal he couldn't refuse :lawd
每天生气

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #15808 on: February 13, 2018, 06:40:41 PM »
I love NYT threads.
Called to cancel...they offered me 2 free months and a lower rate. I'll stick for now because the actual paper is great, but the editorial section needs to fuck off already.
Which is to say, "Virtue signalling is important to me. Unless it's going to cost me money."
que

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15809 on: February 13, 2018, 06:43:01 PM »
I love NYT threads.

So his/her principles cost exactly $32 and $6 less a month from $15.99 thereafter
:9

benjipwns

« Reply #15810 on: February 13, 2018, 06:43:36 PM »
I love NYT threads.
bummer, he's gotta remember to call in two months again now

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #15811 on: February 13, 2018, 06:46:10 PM »
I love NYT threads.
*1 week later*

NYT Editorial: You won't believe what these Nazi's think about Fidget Spinners"

REEEEEEEE
🤴

Optimus

• Lieutenant colonel, 26th Hate Machine battalion
« Reply #15812 on: February 13, 2018, 06:53:16 PM »

If that's how they feel, I don't really see the problem with it. I find this much less disturbing than trying to turn radical post-modern ideals into policy and laws. The hoopla about Black Panther will last until the movie is out of the cinema's.
You're free to either watch the movie or not.

Risky move for Disney/Marvel though. They've now thrown themselves into that arena. If they mess up say a black or female portrayal in another movie or one of their actors or producers turns out to be racist as shit they're going to be cheeseburger sharked rather quick.

Haha, no it isn't, this shit has been focus tested by a million different groups and and has been approved by another million marketing departments. It's why Disney products are so predictable, vanilla and boring.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15813 on: February 13, 2018, 06:54:18 PM »

I'm closing this thread

I'm stickying this thread

And in exactly 12 hours I am going to run through with a fucking lawnmower on some accounts

Pray to whatever deities you prefer
©@©™

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15814 on: February 13, 2018, 06:54:26 PM »

Is this spoilers? Does the villain eat a bunch of metal and become a giant lizard or some shit

TVC15

« Reply #15815 on: February 13, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »

I'm closing this thread

And in exactly 12 hours I am going to run through with a fucking lawnmower on some accounts

preemptive #FreeEtiolate
serge

FUME5

« Reply #15816 on: February 13, 2018, 07:08:04 PM »

I'm closing this thread

I can add a ban from a Bish impersonator to the list.

TVC15

« Reply #15817 on: February 13, 2018, 07:10:47 PM »

I'm closing this thread

I can add a ban from a Bish impersonator to the list.

I thought it was a Sweet Nicole impersonation?
serge

etiolate

« Reply #15818 on: February 13, 2018, 07:12:04 PM »
My money is on Sweet Nicole

bishopface is highly offensive

etiolate

« Reply #15820 on: February 13, 2018, 07:16:55 PM »
oh that thread will be good

Boredfrom

« Reply #15821 on: February 13, 2018, 07:19:20 PM »
oh that thread will be good

Well, everyone is calling out the article and that drawing.

etiolate

« Reply #15822 on: February 13, 2018, 07:20:59 PM »
Yeah, it's pretty sane so far.

FUME5

« Reply #15823 on: February 13, 2018, 07:27:02 PM »

I thought it was a Sweet Nicole impersonation?

Haven't been banned from Reset, had about 8 or so temps from Gaf luminaries such as Opiate, Besada, Bish and DuckRoll.

I don't talk shit on trans issues so I don't see why she'd come at me.

benjipwns

« Reply #15824 on: February 13, 2018, 07:27:31 PM »
Is this spoilers? Does the villain eat a bunch of metal and become a giant lizard or some shit
i doubt it? in the comics it was how they explained how a bunch of the Wakandian characters were seemingly all superpowered at one point, "they're all mutants! from the space meteor!"

like there weren't literally millions of them running around the rest of the planet, or that the comics didn't focus on superheroes over normies in general

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #15825 on: February 13, 2018, 07:29:01 PM »
I'm going to the theatre today, do I watch Black Panther or Sweet Country?

One is about race relations and the inextricable sanctity of human life, and the other is about a king who beats people up.

Or Shape of Water which is about having sex with fish people.

i doubt it? in the comics it was how they explained how a bunch of the Wakandian characters were seemingly all superpowered at one point, "they're all mutants! from the space meteor!"

If I ever find a crashed meteor I am rubbing my entire body on that shit.

etiolate

« Reply #15826 on: February 13, 2018, 07:32:50 PM »
I'm going to the theatre today, do I watch Black Panther or Sweet Country?

One is about race relations and the inextricable sanctity of human life, and the other is about a king who beats people up.

Or Shape of Water which is about having sex with fish people.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/a-dildo-maker-has-finally-determined-what-the-shape-of-1822835489

benjipwns

« Reply #15827 on: February 13, 2018, 07:52:45 PM »
If I ever find a crashed meteor I am rubbing my entire body on that shit.

etiolate

« Reply #15829 on: February 13, 2018, 08:06:40 PM »
Spoiler: White dudes don't look at super heroes and think that dude looks like me. 

Super late on this but they absolutely do. Just look at how many dudes get upset when a woman takes over as Thor or a black dude takes over as Spider-Man.

Because that's a separate issue. It's not that they can longer identify, but that it's lazy ideological writing. Make your own damned hero. The entire problem with that sort of thing is the idea underneath it all that they're "fixing" the character. Female Thor wasn't bad cuz they gender swapped, but because it was fucking cringe writing.

Or put another way: the problem with that approach was it DID see the character as defined by X race and Y gender, so they thought swapping those meant they could write a dipshit story around those group identities.

Example A:

When you think that a super hero is their race and gender then this is the trash you produce.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 08:10:54 PM by etiolate »

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #15830 on: February 13, 2018, 08:11:03 PM »
Any posts in this thread longer than 2 sentences should be skipped

Unless it’s a benji post. Then it should be skipped regardless of length
dur

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #15831 on: February 13, 2018, 08:14:39 PM »

Benji: My dissertation focused on intra/extraforum relations and how they relate to the culture of each community

Staples Manager: ...I just need you to spin this sales sign.

:9

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #15832 on: February 13, 2018, 08:18:05 PM »

dur

benjipwns

« Reply #15833 on: February 13, 2018, 08:21:01 PM »

Benji: My dissertation focused on intra/extraforum relations and how they relate to the culture of each community

Staples Manager: ...I just need you to spin this sales sign.

oh good i've read some studies about the optimum way to spin these arrow signs

now the funny part is that also reminds me of this always sunny episode...

Uncle

• Have You Ever
« Reply #15834 on: February 13, 2018, 08:33:38 PM »
Uncle

Dennis

« Reply #15835 on: February 13, 2018, 08:37:07 PM »
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/revisiting-when-the-left-turns-on-its-own-from-back-in-june-2017-and-healing-neogaf-off-topic-in-2018.1460712/page-14#post-253184925

Oh oh oh so he calls out blame space by name and say he misses him?

What about Dennis? Not even a shoutout for saving PC gaming in 2009-2010? That was a rough patch but I got us through it and now PC gaming is thriving.

wsippel

« Reply #15836 on: February 13, 2018, 08:40:14 PM »

Because that's a separate issue. It's not that they can longer identify, but that it's lazy ideological writing. Make your own damned hero. The entire problem with that sort of thing is the idea underneath it all that they're "fixing" the character. Female Thor wasn't bad cuz they gender swapped, but because it was fucking cringe writing.

Or put another way: the problem with that approach was it DID see the character as defined by X race and Y gender, so they thought swapping those meant they could write a dipshit story around those group identities.

Example A:

When you think that a super hero is their race and gender then this is the trash you produce.

Yeah, that's garbage. Fun fact though: There's a graphic novel about a gipsy "super hero" called, well, "Gipsy" (the first issue was published in the US in Heavy Metal decades ago). And it's great. What's especially great about it is that Gipsy being a gipsy isn't really defining the character nor the story, but it comes up. And I always loved the way it dealt with stereotypes, because it challenges or ridicules some, but acknowledges others. But the point is: The whole story was designed around the character, it all has a purpose. It isn't a dumb race, gender or orientation swap of an established character trying to push an agenda with all the subtlety of a sledge hammer. And the character turned out far more interesting, likeable and deep than most American super heroes, even tough the there've only ever been five or six books.

FStop7

« Reply #15837 on: February 13, 2018, 08:42:48 PM »
Punished Dennis

nudemacusers

« Reply #15838 on: February 13, 2018, 08:44:23 PM »
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/revisiting-when-the-left-turns-on-its-own-from-back-in-june-2017-and-healing-neogaf-off-topic-in-2018.1460712/page-14#post-253184925

What about Dennis? Not even a shoutout for saving PC gaming in 2009-2010? That was a rough patch but I got us through it and now PC gaming is thriving.
All the great fashion threads and advice over the years and I don’t even get a line.  :(
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

FUME5

« Reply #15839 on: February 13, 2018, 09:01:17 PM »

All the great fashion threads and advice over the years and I don’t even get a line.  :(

New news new threads can't touch me mods!

*gets touched*

Getting banned over a sweater...