Author Topic: Adam Ruins Everything: Transracial man born white discovers that he is Filipino  (Read 5247 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
http://www.wtsp.com/news/transracial-man-born-white-feels-like-he-is-filipino/491290902

Ja Du, born a white male named Adam, now considers himself a Filipino. Turns out the purple ride he drives around in is called a Tuk Tuk, an Asian-derived vehicle used for public transit in the Philippines he says.

Ja Du is part of a small, but growing community of people who considers themselves transracial. It refers to someone born one race, but identifies with another.

Sound weird? Not to them. Ja Du says he grew up enjoying Filipino food, events and the overall culture.

“Whenever I’m around the music, around the food, I feel like I’m in my own skin,” he said.

“I’d watch the history channel sometimes for hours you know whenever it came to that and you know nothing else intrigued me more but things about Filipino culture.”
If you look on Facebook, where we found Ja Du, groups dubbed transracial are popping up with dozens of members.

Dr. Stacey Scheckner is a licensed psychologist with a B.A. from Washington University, plus M.A. and doctorate from Florida State. She hasn’t had a client who wanted to change their race but has worked with many clients wanting to change their body in some way.

Ja Du hasn’t told his family yet because he believes they will laugh at the notion of changing your ethnicity. The public was very critical of Dolezal and might be for him as well, but Scheckner believes everyone should be more understanding.

“If that’s who they are and they want to celebrate it and enjoy it, then you have to think what harm is it doing? All they want to do is throw themselves into that culture and celebrate it.”

“I think before we get offended, we need to take a step back and think about what is the harm.”
Many might question Ja Du’s intentions or say that he is a perfect case of cultural appropriation.

He knows this can be a problem, but says he’s not trying to take advantage of anything.

“I believe people will [take advantage] just like other people have taken advantage of their identity to get their way, but the difference between me and them is that I don’t want that. I think that we all have the freedoms to pursue happiness in our own ways,” he said.

That brings up another major change with Ja Du. He is also transsexual and is considering changing his gender as well. He has spoken to his mom and family about that.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
I am Japanese.
dog

benjipwns

I am Japanese.
they'll make a statue for you at your human's train stop

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
I was about to post a semi-detailed fantasy I had a week or two back about me and etiolate and a couple other posters here, but then I realized the fantasy was transspecies, not transracial. I’ll wait until an appropriate, related news story appears before I share.

And etiolate, no shade, you came across best of anyone included in it.
serge

Himu

OMG :stahp :stop

IYKYK

benjipwns

I'd watch the history channel sometimes for hours you know whenever it came to that and you know nothing else intrigued me more but things about Filipino culture.

agrajag

end this planet

hampster

I'd like an upgrade from Married with Children white to Friends white
Zzz

I hate this planet.

nudemacusers

everyone wants to be transblack, but nobody wants to be transblack

:dolezal
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

chronovore

• relapsed dev
I am Japanese.

No lie, I get Japanese people telling me that all the time. It used to bother me, but I take it as intended now: a compliment. :japancry

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
I am Japanese.

You're a goddamn golden retriever. You're transspecies.

Raist

kingv

I was about to post a semi-detailed fantasy I had a week or two back about me and etiolate and a couple other posters here, but then I realized the fantasy was transspecies, not transracial. I’ll wait until an appropriate, related news story appears before I share.

And etiolate, no shade, you came across best of anyone included in it.

The internet has those too. They’re called furries.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
©ZH

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Hey, this doesn't have an actual Adam Ruins Everything episode linked in here. FALSE NEWS. :maf

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
Did I miss it in the article, or has this loon never actually been to the Philippines?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Can I say I'm transracial so I can sing the n-word along with my favourite N.W.A. song?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Did I miss it in the article, or has this loon never actually been to the Philippines?

He drives around in a Tuk Tuk and watches the History Channel, isn't that enough?
dog

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior
Can I say I'm transracial so I can sing the n-word along with my favourite N.W.A. song?

Idunno, what does N.W.A. stand for again?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Ninjas with attitude. They were big Turtles fans.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
Not Without Au jus. Something to do with roast beef sandwiches.
©ZH

stufte

• Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior Senior

Ninja, pls.

chronovore

• relapsed dev

Ninja, pls.

I may adopt this phraseology.

OpinionatedCyborg

It makes sense. If he had visited the Philippines and still felt this way, he would truly be crazy.

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Ninja, pls.
Ninja is the n-word ICP fans use as a term of endearment or whatever for each other.
Hi

etiolate

He drives around in a Tuk Tuk and watches the History Channel, isn't that enough?

It also looks like he eats a lot of lumpia.

agrajag

this poor fuck doesn't know phillippines is not as much jollibee as it is duterte

VomKriege

• Do the moron
Why cannot the guy just claims to be "Filipino at heart" and leave it at that ?
:confused
ὕβρις

SmokyDave

See, I’m lazy as fuck, but I wish I could be arsed to do more xtreme shit. Maybe I’m trans-action.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
It also looks like he eats a lot of lumpia.

Guys, guys... I think I might be Filipino.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Actually this is nothing new; anime fans have been doing this for decades!   :doge

No, really- when I was a senior in high school in 1998-1999, someone told me that there was a girl name "Michi" who was all into anime.  He tells me that Michi is Japanese and she had the dude give me her website.  I go home and look at the site, and see that it is a poorly-made fansite for a Sailor Moon character named "Michiru Kaiou."  This character has green hair.   

The next day in school, my classmate tells me that Michi is sitting at a table across the room at lunch.  I look over and don't see any Asians sitting there, but there is a blue-eyed, blonde haired white girl with a bad green hair dye job sitting there looking stupid.  And that of course, was "Michi."  She was "Japanese."
:neogaf

She was telling everyone that she was a quarter Japanese or some bullshit...because she liked a fucking cartoon character.  I told my classmate how full of shit she was and that she appeared to have dyed her hair because of this character and he laughed pretty hard.  Never heard him talk about her again and I never talked to this girl since she was an underclassman and I didn't have any classes with her, but I'd occasionally run into her or be around and hear her gushing about anime.  Every time she would see me, her face would turn red and she'd stop talking about it, lol.  I worked at a video game store at the time and had encountered plenty of otaku-types, but this was the first time I'd ever seen a weeb in the wild, so the memory still stands out.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:07:14 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Why cannot the guy just claims to be "Filipino at heart" and leave it at that ?
:confused
It doesn't put you on the TeeVee.

benjipwns

Ninja, pls.
Hero, pls.

(in the U.K.)

kingv

Ninja, pls.

This ninja!

I think we also need a term to chastise people for being bad or dishonorable ninjas....

Might I recommend “Kun”?

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator

Ninja, pls.
Hero, pls.

(in the U.K.)

cigarette, pls

(also in the U.K.)
©@©™

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
Transracial is so 2016, it's all about transagism now.

https://tinyurl.com/ya8mgzq3

Link is tiny because the real one keeps getting my post deleted. News source is CBC.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
Actually this is nothing new; anime fans have been doing this for decades!   :doge

No, really- when I was a senior in high school in 1998-1999, someone told me that there was a girl name "Michi" who was all into anime.  He tells me that Michi is Japanese and she had the dude give me her website.  I go home and look at the site, and see that it is a poorly-made fansite for a Sailor Moon character named "Michiru Kaiou."  This character has green hair.   

The next day in school, my classmate tells me that Michi is sitting at a table across the room at lunch.  I look over and don't see any Asians sitting there, but there is a blue-eyed, blonde haired white girl with a bad green hair dye job sitting there looking stupid.  And that of course, was "Michi."  She was "Japanese."

She was telling everyone that she was a quarter Japanese or some bullshit...because she liked a fucking cartoon character.  I told my classmate how full of shit she was and that she appeared to have dyed her hair because of this character and he laughed pretty hard.  Never heard him talk about her again and I never talked to this girl since she was an underclassman and I didn't have any classes with her, but I'd occasionally run into her or be around and hear her gushing about anime.  Every time she would see me, her face would turn red and she'd stop talking about it, lol.  I worked at a video game store at the time and had encountered plenty of otaku-types, but this was the first time I'd ever seen a weeb in the wild, so the memory still stands out.

To be fair, DNA is weird. Who knows if she was telling the truth? And what would it matter? I've got friends (you, too) who have kids who are 1/4 Vietnamese or ½ Asian via China/Philippines/Japan who are blonde and fair skinned. It happens.

It's disappointing that we geeks and nerds, who were bullied most of our lives, seem to look for reasons to take apart people who are close to what we are, the things which interest us, the values we hold.

PS: probably should have taken this to the drunk thread. I had a lovely Chilean red and some bourbon, and am feeling nothing but love. Mostly tough love, but still love.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator

To be fair, DNA is weird. Who knows if she was telling the truth? And what would it matter? I've got friends (you, too) who have kids who are 1/4 Vietnamese or ½ Asian via China/Philippines/Japan who are blonde and fair skinned. It happens.

It's disappointing that we geeks and nerds, who were bullied most of our lives, seem to look for reasons to take apart people who are close to what we are, the things which interest us, the values we hold.

PS: probably should have taken this to the drunk thread. I had a lovely Chilean red and some bourbon, and am feeling nothing but love. Mostly tough love, but still love.

Nah, she was whiter than sour cream.  This was 100%, grade-A 'weeb'.  Someone obsessed with anime to the point of wanting to be the character she was a fan of (hence the name she gave herself and the green hair).

I wasn't always so against such crazy otaku types...it was working retail and having to deal with their insanity that made me bitter.  :doge
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 10:56:16 AM by Dosukebe »
ど助平

Raist

Aren't half of americans "X% Irish" or something? Especially on St Paddy's day.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
stost origin story  :lol

Tripon

• Teach by day, Sleep by night

EchoRin

• Hey, it's that dog.
I got you Tripon

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
no dox me pls
©@©™

Cauliflower Of Love

• I found my bearings, they were in the race