Author Topic: Outcast: Second Chance (remake of 1999 classic)  (Read 749 times)

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
Outcast: Second Chance (remake of 1999 classic)
« on: November 25, 2017, 09:42:01 AM »

A straight remake of the 1999 action-adventure classic Outcast: Shiny new graphics but otherwise it's pretty much the same game. Reviews are veering a bit on the mediocre side though. The graphical overhaul gets points, the fiddly, imprecise controls and fetch quests not so much. I don't really remember these criticisms. Fiddly gameplay was the norm back in the day anyway and I don't recall the quests as boring. Though I guess I used to have more patience for these things when I was younger.

Anyway the original was my favorite game during that timeframe. Gods know how many times I've played it. After Starcraft a year or two before, this was the second game I really nerded out on. I annoyed so many people with talking about it constantly. Shit, I even wore the fucking t-shirt that came with the box to school :lol  The negative backlash I received back then convinced me to curb my nerdist tendencies in public from then on tho.

There's a lot of nostalgia there but I ain't too sure that I still have the patience for the same archaic gameplay. So I think I'm gonna wait for a price drop. 35 bucks is not too cheap for a remake (though there's a minor sale on Steam going on until next week).

a slime appears

• retro king
Re: Outcast: Second Chance (remake of 1999 classic)
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 10:02:05 AM »
I wish the best for them but one of the core gimmicks of the original game was utilizing voxel technology to generate a vast and natural landscape so it's a bit odd to not see it here. Kind of sad they didn't explore what a modern voxel engine could do for the game.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
That trailer... Yeesh. At least Cutter's run cycle doesn't look like he's ice skating any more.

Anyway, nice timing on the thread. This version coming out inspired me to finally finish the original. Specifically the 1.1 update they put out a couple years back and gave away to owners of the original GOG release. Third time's the charm, I guess (owned it on disc, too).

Finished it Thursday, but couldn't think of anything to say. ...Still don't have anything to add besides that it is a janky but loveable game. :B

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 01:07:59 PM »
OMG I remember working for PC Gamer magazine when this came out, and I got some marketing material saying that "Cutter Slade is the kind of hero that men want to be...and women just want."

DURHURHURHURHURHURHUR