Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 |OT| Maximum weebage! Year of Nintendo continues!  (Read 19068 times)

paprikastaude

Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or Sonic Forces?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2017, 12:26:59 PM »
Based on that character design I'd like to bestow upon the game, all the Game Awards! You deserve it Xenoblade 2.

10/10.     (Especially the Games for Impact one.)

Your joke falls flat, since it insinuates that Geoff Keighley's PR show would have any kind of meaning.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2017, 01:50:22 PM »
Just as much meaning as any other award show then.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2017, 04:28:12 PM »
So far I think its the worst xenoblade.
Yeah, I'm not too hot on it either right now.

This may be the jrpg that proves I'm too old for jrpgs.

Or maybe it's just shitty. A common defense is that "oh it's for Japanese teenage boys".

Yeah so where recent jrpgs like Persona 5, Final Fantasy XV, and and even Tales of Beseria and they weren't this shitty in art direction, character design(well maybe Beseria), and writing.

And man does the gameplay not feel as exciting as XCX. That felt much faster and not like you were simply standing around waiting for gauges to fill. The first two xenoblades had such a quick pace combined with quick cooldowns that they didn't put a spotlight on the automated attacks. Also since XCX was about synergy and using your moves(which you had more then 3) when your party needed, I felt more involved.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 04:32:57 PM by Rahxephon91 »

paprikastaude

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2017, 05:26:54 PM »
XB2 makes me want to give XCX a shot retroactively, which looked way more appealing, excluding the embarassing soundtrack. The problem with (J)RPGs is that they are too long for anything that isn't above average. I don't mind playing 6-7/10 games, but not when they are 100 hours long. I'd rather get through the 5 hours of Sonic Forces' weirdness than to bear anything XB2-related over dozens.  :doge  Also, the battle system of the series is shit, you basically played the first XB for the locations and soundtrack - the story was awfully cliched too, but at least the characters weren't blatant abominations.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2017, 08:15:38 PM »

Trails of Cold Steel 3 will change your mind. I'm so excited to play that. At least the english VA know how to scream
fat

Tasty

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2017, 10:41:59 PM »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2017, 10:57:50 PM »
XC2 is pretty much animu trash characters and story, but I still really like it anyway. Went and bought a Switch and a copy of my own so I wouldn't have to keep borrowing Joe's. Dunno yet how I'd stack it up against the previous two Xenoblade games, but I'm having fun with it regardless.

:yeshrug
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2017, 12:04:15 AM »
fat

Tasty

« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2017, 12:11:54 AM »
:lol

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2017, 12:17:06 AM »
Still not sure about how I feel about this game yet.  My biggest problem with it is the way the camera moves.  It's so blurry sometimes that it is hard to tell what the hell I'm looking at if I'm walking around and moving it.  The other is the combat system...not too big on "stand there and let them do shit on their own" games, but at least some control stuff opened up towards the end of the first chapter.

The english VA is so terrible. God damn

Aaaaiiyyyahhh

:trigger

Glad the first I thing was to download the Japanese VA pack.  But that creates some annoyances with either understanding the Japanese dialogue and not seeing it match up with the subs and/or the characters having different names.  Why is Homura called "Pyra" in the English version?  ???  (Yes, I know both names mean "flame," but why even change it at all?)
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2017, 01:02:12 AM »

Trails of Cold Steel 3 will change your mind. I'm so excited to play that. At least the english VA know how to scream
Eh.

Watching Falcom stories is basicly like watching paint dry. I can't get into the Cold Steel games.

Also yeah what's the point of having these Japanese audio tracks in games when the subs are only going to ever reflect the English dub. It's worse here because there's a bunch of U.K. English thrown in.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2017, 01:03:28 AM »
Maybe you should just leave
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2017, 01:04:29 AM »
Maybe Falcom games should get a budget.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2017, 01:15:44 AM »
Ur lost mate
fat

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2017, 02:23:32 AM »
Da fuck? Falcom games have lower budgets for a reason, breh. They don't have tons of money and they make games for portable systems or that were made like ten years ago for the price of a craft service table that are just now being fucking released in America or on PC.
reckt

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2017, 02:53:42 AM »
Apparently Tits McGee is not a super important character and you may not even encounter her, lol @ that design anyway.
Hi

Rahxephon91

« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2017, 02:56:20 AM »
Da fuck? Falcom games have lower budgets for a reason, breh. They don't have tons of money and they make games for portable systems or that were made like ten years ago for the price of a craft service table that are just now being fucking released in America or on PC.
I like Falcom games. Love Ys. I don't like when Ys has a story though.

I just can't get into the Cold Steel games because well anime high school stuff is just no, but also because their cut scenes because of budget, tech level, and well writing are so stilted to watch. Long, drawn out, and poorly animated. I'd take the talking heads and 2d abstraction of the Trails games.

StealthFan

• Swings Both Ways
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2017, 03:08:15 AM »
Yeah Ys VIII...was...uh. What about the Vita one? That looks cool. Should I try that. I know it has story but is it fun?
reckt

archnemesis

« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2017, 03:13:12 AM »
Yeah Ys VIII...was...uh. What about the Vita one? That looks cool. Should I try that. I know it has story but is it fun?
Ys Seven is a good game, although it would be better with fewer conversations. Same goes for Celceta.

In fact, all the Ys games for Vita are well worth playing.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2017, 03:19:32 AM »
Memories of Celceta and VII are really good.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Rahxephon91

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2017, 11:46:27 AM »
I don't think the game looks good graphically either way you slice it.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2017, 11:51:12 AM »
Xenoblade 2's combat gets better once you get more character and unlock juggles.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2017, 12:35:34 PM »
I still have no clue what consumables do, though. +12% synergy, is that good, is that a lot? Who knows. I just try random things in my pouches to find what my blades like, and then keep using that and hope for the best.
©@©™

Corporal

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2017, 09:16:48 AM »
Seeing as the game has caused me to drop off the net for a while, I dare say I'm able to enjoy it immensely despite its many faults - some of them glaring, others more mildly inconvenient, but it all falls to the wayside when I'm just running around through beautiful vistas battling exotic animals to damn good music. Loving the art style of the environments and the effing huge cities. Since it's my first Xenogears title, the fighting system still feels fresh and enjoyable. There's so much useless stuff to do, I am still happily stuck on chapter three despite having poured every single waking hour that was not otherwise essential into this game. Why progress when you're having the time of your life.

Mobile mode sharpening filter is bad though. The mobile mode framerate problems and resolution variance gives me headaches for sure, but the sharpening filter gots to go. Eugh.
!list

Fifstar

« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2017, 09:25:33 AM »
I don't think the game looks good graphically either way you slice it.

I saw the first picture and assumed that was the undocked one, than saw the second pic :holeup
Gulp

Rahxephon91

« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2017, 04:34:02 PM »
I kind of think this game is bad.

Like I don't understand why the game basicly goes into slow motion when combat starts. I feels like your character is treading through water. It's so aggravating. When you you fight scouts, is basicly is free money from them to run around because you can't possibly keep up them.

Which leaves me to say the man does battle itself feel slow. I guess you can't move and attack because now abilities are tied to active combat instead of simple cooldowns like the other two. But Jesus does that mean I'm wasting time moving and positioning my self for attacks and going to get potions. It also feels super slow to do so and maybe to make for that effect the made the pace of battle feel like a slog itself. In fact because of these changes it highlights the slowness and boredom of auto battle. A problem the others did not have because you were often moving around because of the emphasis on toppling and because you didn't have 3 whole moves you had to watch to see if the where ready. Like wow is that a step down from XCX where you had plenty of moves and because of the battle yells and topple system where you always involved and using different things.

The whole arts combo thing is a nice idea. Kind of like the Yells in X where you followed up attacks based on what your team is doing, but here it's crappy. It's not tied to battle pace at all and just combos, but instead now you have to pay attention to what you're doing, what your party member has avaliable to do, what Level thier attack is, what the gauge on the enemy is at. Because you don't want to use a level 3 when another character hasn't gotten there's to even level 2. And if you do use it and you kill the enemy, it doesn't carry over to the next enemy which is incredibly dumb. So you are just sitting there paying attention to very little sub systems instead of the original idea of toppling.

And Jesus Christ is the voice acting amazingly awful. Now I know why they mostly showed the trailers in Japanese. They must have been embarrassed.

And man are these characters obnoxious or just plain not funny. I don't find the robot girls quick delivery talking cute. I don't find cat girl to be beyond anything but anime stereotype girl. Pyra is just boring. Tora, well his race sucks in all these games. Why they force this type of humour down are throats idk.

People are saying it looks ugly in portable mode. Honestly it looks ugly regardless. Full of muddy looking textures. The image quality sucks even in console mode.

The map is awful and everything is so tideous. This game is such a drop in quality after two great games it's so sad.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2017, 04:49:08 PM »
You get Topple in Chapter 3.
©@©™

Corporal

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2017, 06:07:52 PM »
The Animu is strong with the game, yes, but hey, it's a Japanese game, a coming of age story, with artwork like that, so of course it will be packed to the point of breaking with shounen tropes. It's not like this is a new issue either. That's just how these things go. The Japanese are anything if not predictable in these situations. Sit back, relax and treat it as a kiddo show like Pokemon or whatever, only with a guest appearance of Tifa. At least the main guy isn't a total and utter twat. Normally, that's kind of a requirement. And I dunno, I'm loving the environments. Chapter three has treated me well so far.

On potions, way I see it: You only need to run after the potions if your healer doesn't do their job, or if your party members somehow can't get to them instead. They will disengage and grab what the party needs whenever they're not getting aggro.

Like Demi said, topple etc only gets unlocked during chapter three. Which is also when you enter a new area and learn how to break orbs, which in turn allows you to do some ridiculous damage. Plus some mildly interesting story stuff. Takes a while to get the game going, no doubt. Then again, they utterly botch the teaching via meaningful tutorials, so barely anyone who isn't determined to get to the bottom of the interlocked systems will ever bother to learn "proper" combat - so it's kinda worst of both worlds, late unlock and little to no explanation.

It's pretty clear that this game was rushed IMHO. Doubt they will address many issues, but hopefully there will be a few QOL improvements in a patch down the line.
!list

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2017, 08:31:36 PM »
Xenoblade 2 made me straight :(
serge

archie4208

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2017, 12:29:50 PM »
This game is pure anime garbage.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
and I kind of like it
[close]

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2017, 06:21:09 PM »
When I'm done with Mario, should I play Xenoblade 2 or Disgaea 5 first?  The Metacritic scores are very similar for both the review scores and the user scores.
🍆🍆

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2017, 06:54:59 PM »
Well, have you played previous Xenoblade or Disgaea games? Which did you like more? If neither...uh...Xenoblade, I guess?
dog

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »
I haven't played the games from either series before
🍆🍆

Rahxephon91

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »
Why start now!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2017, 10:45:26 PM »
I feel like in the latter half of chapter 3 and into chapter 4 the game really stats to open up. You've got more places to explore, the chapter 3 titan is a really beautiful location, combat finally starts to get good [more options in fights, better strategy, feels like a fast pace even if it actually isn't], and the story finally gets moving. I'm still tempted to put it slightly below the other two Xenoblades, but it's really close, only thing that really holds it back is some derpy character designs and shonen-esque story that ticks off all the requisite boxes.
dog

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2017, 11:53:29 PM »
I'd rather play Disgaea 5
fat

Corporal

« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2017, 04:25:44 AM »
Halfway through chapter four now.

The tropes, they sting and burn. And the dub. Shit's hilarious.

I also got a new blade from the gacha. It's a cinnamon-skinned gal with incredibly wobbly breasts that wears a miniskirt that exposes her panties. She also likes to kneel, apparently, because that's her idle animation. And some of her attack moves have her swing around her spear like a pole dancer.

I am so, so glad that I'm outside of my formative years. If I played this game as a youngster, I'd probably get fucked up proper.

Regarding XBC2 and Disgaea 5: these are two incredibly different game types. One is a static SRPG, and the other an ARPG. Both are fun, both are very weeaboo. Disgaea is more polished though. Focuses on grinding a bit too much for my liking, but YMMV. It really depends on your preferences.

Edit: don't forget that you can give the initial few stages of Disgaea a try by downloading the demo. Do that, then decide.
!list

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2017, 04:36:09 AM »
Disgaea games are great. You can break them in the most ridiculous ways. Literally 5D Chess.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2017, 02:10:51 PM »
Yeah this is the game that really proves to me that I don't understand jrpg fandom. I don't quite understand how everyone is so positive.

The cast is great!
The writing is really good!
The battle system is amazing!
Pyra is a really good character!
The voice acting is good.

I just don't get it.

I laughed out loud honestly when Pyra changed into Mythra and the voice actress had to sell her character being tough and more stern.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 02:42:38 PM by Rahxephon91 »

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
fat

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2017, 04:03:01 PM »
playing any jrpg with english voice acting is an insta-fail
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2017, 04:10:12 PM »
Is it any less annoying in Japanese?

Rahxephon91

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2017, 04:13:17 PM »
Final Fantasy XII.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2017, 04:22:54 PM »
:| ok that's the ONE exception
pcp

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
Look who I got last night. Bonus: she has a Southern accent. I'm so straight right now.

serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2017, 04:47:37 PM »
Dammit, I've just got a loli and some weird crystal girl. Give KOS-MOS, you piece of garbage game. ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
©@©™

Corporal

« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2017, 06:24:24 PM »
Am not happy with my newest addition to the team.

Why would I want a pole-dancer in a miniskirt that's so short it hides nothing at all. And her tits jiggle as if they had a life of their own. And there's that thing where she kneels in front of the main character during her idle animation.

I could stomach all of that, if it weren't for the fact that I still can't figure out how to unlock more of her skills. The description is incredibly vague, and I get the feeling like I need to progress near the endgame to use her to her full potential.

Just arrived at the inn with the HOT SPRINGS in chapter four. Yes, hot springs. I... know what to expect. I dread it, but it will almost assuredly happen, otherwise the game wouldn't have been so up incredibly subtle about disclosing info about it.

....I do like her tan, though. I'm a sucker for that. Mixed bloods best bloods. </uncomfortable TMI disclosure>
!list

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2017, 07:53:07 PM »

DQ8 and original Xenoblade were pretty good. RPGs + British accents go well together.
^_^

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2017, 08:54:44 PM »
dq8 was good, but i switched xeno to jp. skipped over the 3ds version too because it only had english and i need to retain my weeb credibility
pcp

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2017, 09:00:05 PM »
XC2 has a pretty dope soundtrack:

:whew
dog

Corporal

« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2017, 07:43:16 AM »
Yeah, it's one of the main reasons I'm addicted to the game as much as I am right now. The music and the vistas blend together into such an atmospheric package, it keeps drawing me back.

....Cringed through the inevitable hot springs scene. Cripes. They even stick the fucking robot in there for no reason at all. Never change, Japan. :lol
!list

Rich!

« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2017, 01:54:37 PM »
I'm on chapter 4 of Xenoblade 2. About 32 hours played so far.

It's a fantastic game. Especially with the english dub. Fucking manc, welsh and scottish accents all over the place! Incredible. I love it. I usually hate english dubs (eg. danganronpa) as it's always the samey shitty US accent, but this is damn good.

And the blade designs? Dude, I purposely have the blades with the biggest tits in my roster for a reason. What kind of man doesn't love exposed ass and massive boobs? fuck

Sonic Forces is fucking shit. Don't buy it.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2017, 05:35:27 PM »
i'm so mad that people keep hiring tim rodgers
pcp

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »
He's weird, but I like his videos (liked his writing on Actionbutton, too).

He did turn me off of the Actionbutton podcast though.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2017, 10:37:13 PM »
ど助平

archie4208

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2017, 10:56:11 PM »
Just had Xenoblade crash on me after not saving for about an hour.

Cool.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: December 11, 2017, 09:03:01 AM »
I’ve had two crashes, both times when fast-traveling to Torigoth.
©@©™

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2017, 01:57:02 PM »
I had a soft-crash while going through menus. Just showed a blank menu screen and none of the buttons did anything, but I could still move between the Switch home menu and the game screen.
dog