Author Topic: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 |OT| Maximum weebage! Year of Nintendo continues!  (Read 19067 times)

kingv

Re: Xenoblade Chronicles 2 |OT| Maximum weebage! Year of Nintendo continues!
« Reply #180 on: December 31, 2017, 09:49:51 PM »
I have been playing strictly handheld and the resolution drops haven’t bothered me much. The screen is really crisp and the frame rate is mostly pretty stable.

It’s a good 👀 by game for a handheld, even if it can’t hold 720p

Rahxephon91

« Reply #181 on: December 31, 2017, 11:48:57 PM »
I surprisingly played a lot of this on handheld and while I guess it's no technical marvel, as someone who is only use to Vita and PSP games it seems to be an upgrade from anything on the Vita. It has a really aggressive sharpening filter and it's clear that the image quality isn't great, but I don't know it looked and ran fine. Compared to Vita stuff anyway.

kingv

« Reply #182 on: January 01, 2018, 01:12:14 AM »
I felt the same. People talk about the low resolution, but I didn’t notice it 99% of the time. The only time it became glaring obvious were certain scenes when it just took get quite bad, or directly after some of the cutscenes that hold 720p perfectly.

Most of the time it was a non factor. The game is plenty clear, IMO, and I never really felt like it looked muddy or blurry. But sometimes I think if you are a gamer past a certain age your perspext Be on good graphics is much different.

Like I basically think anything Xbox 360 or later has “good” graphics nowadays.

Boredfrom

« Reply #183 on: January 01, 2018, 06:39:57 AM »
Fuck me, but I actually liked all the initial mumbo jumbo of chapter 10
spoiler (click to show/hide)
They can totally make connection between the worlds of Xenoblade1/2 and Mira from X
[close]

Also, fuck Jin but 
Malos give him a hug before the end Chapter 9 actually won my over. I suppose that Klaus explaining that is just following programming with Elf Pope nihilism makes more easier to explain why he got along with Torna while still being a homicidal dickhead. God bless him.
[close]

I was afraid because chapter 9 started so lame and the rest of Torna where still lame as fuck.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #184 on: January 01, 2018, 04:22:15 PM »
Started on Chapter 5 and I'm 71 hours into the game with everyone at level 54.  I'm getting pretty tired of doing the side quests, especially since so many of them now want attributes that my blades don't have that will require lots of grindan to get.  Just not worth it anymore.  The Chapter 4 boss was peak weeb, complete with being able to see the pantsu of the robot maid. 

I still like the game.  71 hours seems like a lot but I put it in sleep mode one night and didn't realize that the timer kept going when you had in sleep mode.  Realistically I'm about 55 hours or so in.
🍆🍆

Boredfrom

« Reply #185 on: January 01, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
Honestly, at some points you need to say “fuck side quests” and get on with the main plot.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #186 on: January 01, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »
I did no side quests. Didn't make the game better for me, but you can easily do it.

Corporal

« Reply #187 on: January 01, 2018, 09:31:50 PM »
I cast "seal stench" on that maid battle bot as it laid on the ground with its panties exposed. I feel like I accomplished a great deed that day.
The cockpit scenes that lead up to that battle were amazing. We all need more giant battle bots with extensive internal cockpit plumbing for pilot lifting. That's the kinda weeb stuff that I am fully on board with. The two idiots that got smacked into a tiny star earlier before that area were well appreciated too. I look forward to them showing up later again.

Anyway. Haven't had much time recently, but I'm still -STILL- futzing around in chapter five. I've been doing any and all side quests I have come across. Some are ass, many are too fetchquesty, but I do enjoy the occasional peek at the lives of the citizens. It just seems rude to not help out, at least occasionally.

Mobile mode absolutely needs some sharpening filter tweaks though. I know I've whined about this before, but I don't mind the occasional drop in resolution, I can live with the framerate issues, but I wish they would stop fucking with the image quality to this freaking extent.
!list

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #188 on: January 02, 2018, 11:45:44 PM »
The sidequests get exponentially more obnoxious as you get further into the game.

On a positive note, I got Dahlia tonight :uguu
🍆🍆

Boredfrom

« Reply #189 on: January 06, 2018, 12:06:40 AM »
The sidequests get exponentially more obnoxious as you get further into the game.

On a positive note, I got Dahlia tonight :uguu

Big deal, I got Perun.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #190 on: January 06, 2018, 12:25:35 PM »
I hate chapter 7
🍆🍆

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2018, 07:25:17 AM »
Despite getting a continuous flow of rare and sometimes legendary crystals, I haven’t received a non-story related rare blade in a while.  Just a bunch of toilet tier blades.  Hardly seems worth it to bond with any crystals.
🍆🍆

Boredfrom

« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2018, 11:29:07 AM »
Despite getting a continuous flow of rare and sometimes legendary crystals, I haven’t received a non-story related rare blade in a while.  Just a bunch of toilet tier blades.  Hardly seems worth it to bond with any crystals.

Is only "worth it" if you are a completionist, and some of the blade quests can be pretty awesome (Dagas being more gutsy than Mythra). But yeah, the gacha system is god awful.

I never got a rare blade from a Legendary Crystal.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2018, 12:59:34 PM »
The gatcha system would be way more tolerable if it let you burn more than one core at once in order to get a better chance at a rare blade.
dog

kingv

« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2018, 04:35:14 PM »
Agreed. I don’t like the Gacha system either. And the animation takes too damn longg

Corporal

« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2018, 05:10:12 PM »
You can skip almost all related animations by pressing + and then follow the onscreen prompt, IIRC.

I think the gacha system is fine. You send blades off to merc quests to gather idea fragments and kick them out when they're fully unlocked for the bonus items, then repeat until your idea thingamadingdongs are maxed out and you actually have a chance at getting rare blades.

It's a bit convoluted, admittedly, but rare blades are, well, rare. If it was just a useless label, then everyone would minmax the ever loving shit out of their parties and ignore the trash.

Granted, a "merge two low level blades to get a higher level blade, repeat until you get a rare blade" standard gacha mechanism would be less annoying. I guess they didn't want to be THAT obvious about their lead up to an eventual XBC3 gacha IAP system.
!list

kingv

« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2018, 12:00:50 AM »
Huh, I don’t really understand the merc system yet.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2018, 09:39:47 AM »

There's not much to it, you just send blades on missions and wait X minutes then collect the rewards. The more recommended skills you match up when picking blades for a mission, the shorter the amount of time it takes. Pink missions are one-time missions (they generally offer the best rewards) and blue ones can be repeated.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #198 on: January 10, 2018, 09:46:18 AM »
This and other Xenoblade games are dubbed "action RPGs," but is there any point to actually moving around during fights?  I notice I still get damage when doing so.
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2018, 10:59:29 AM »
This and other Xenoblade games are dubbed "action RPGs," but is there any point to actually moving around during fights?  I notice I still get damage when doing so.

Just for readjusting to do back/sideattacks.
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2018, 08:21:32 PM »

There's not much to it, you just send blades on missions and wait X minutes then collect the rewards. The more recommended skills you match up when picking blades for a mission, the shorter the amount of time it takes. Pink missions are one-time missions (they generally offer the best rewards) and blue ones can be repeated.

The other excuse to do Merc missions is that, as your blades get more skills, the character attached to that blade get more idea points. And, supposedly, with more idea points you get better chance to get a rare blade. Of course the gatcha is so fucked up that you can get a 1 crown common blade with a rare core while your idea Level is 9 in every category.

Corporal

« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2018, 11:28:18 PM »

And the rare hasty potion grab to force Nia to finally stop running around and start healing.

And randomly falling off cliffs and other hazards, which automatically cancels the fight and more often than not despawns the enemies.

And readjusting your position after a few chained attacks have moved you away from your initial place. Which feels a bit like busywork.

But yeah, most of the time you are just running after an enemy that switched aggro or repositioning yourself after someone moved around.

By the way, you also deal damage to your designated target, even at a considerable distance, when you trigger a blade combo. Which helps, sometimes, when some asshole enemy is running away to pull some more mobs into a fight.

!list

kingv

« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2018, 01:56:25 AM »

The other excuse to do Merc missions is that, as your blades get more skills, the character attached to that blade get more idea points. And, supposedly, with more idea points you get better chance to get a rare blade. Of course the gatcha is so fucked up that you can get a 1 crown common blade with a rare core while your idea Level is 9 in every category.

Where can you even check idea points?

Corporal

« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2018, 08:16:47 AM »
Where can you even check idea points?
It's the "Thought Cloud" graph under Characters. Choose a driver then navigate to the appropriate sub-page by pressing L/R a couple of times.

Also important: get as much luck-boosting equipment as you can and put it on when drawing blades. It's supposed to help as well, IIRC.
!list

Boredfrom

« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2018, 07:05:46 PM »

There is enemies that do AoE attacks that can be avoided by position, not mention that many of the blade users enemies have counter attacks.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2018, 11:53:25 PM »
Beat the final boss, which was pretty easy.  The game clock shows 118 hours and 31 minutes :lol

There were about 15 side quests that I hadn't completed yet with a few more that I could have taken on.  As mentioned before, I got annoyed that it had been several chapters since getting a non-story rare blade.  It seemed like after Chapter 5 or 6 or whatever, I didn't get a single rare blade by bonding crystals.  It was pretty lame.

This game ticked off most of the JRPG checkboxes.  I see there is a season pass with DLC being released through next fall.  I might check it out a few months down the road and wrap the rest of the game up.

Overall I liked it although I spent a lot of time meandering around and grinding.  Solid 8.5/10 type of game.
🍆🍆

kingv

« Reply #206 on: January 18, 2018, 11:28:03 PM »
I’m about done with chapter 4 or 5, and I gotta day I really didn’t expect the one eyed monster joke.

That was pretty funny.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2018, 10:17:33 AM »
At the snow town in ch6, about how much longer is the game?
^_^

archie4208

« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2018, 11:09:28 AM »
[close]
chapters total.  Probably another 20-30 hours if you rush it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
Yeah, you're still pretty far from the ending, even if you just push ahead and skip most of the side stuff.
dog

Boredfrom

« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2018, 04:15:12 PM »
I finally got a new rare blade again after a week of using 300+ common cores and 100+ rare cores. This gatcha suck ass.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2018, 07:14:42 PM »
The last couple of chapters don't have much gameplay so if you skip through the scenes, you can finish them pretty quickly.  Chapter 7 is the shittiest chapter in the game in my opinion.
🍆🍆

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2018, 05:51:43 AM »
Holy shit the gacha is terrible. I've wasted so much time opening common crystals.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #213 on: January 21, 2018, 07:22:16 AM »
I wouldn't even bother with the common crystals.  They don't get you much money either if you decide to sell them so they just become a nuisance item to collect.
🍆🍆

Boredfrom

« Reply #214 on: January 21, 2018, 03:36:26 PM »
Common core crystals are useful early on,  before you start depleting the gatcha pool.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: January 27, 2018, 12:59:51 AM »
New patch coming in a few weeks:

A release window and details regarding Xenoblade Chronicles 2’s next patch have arrived. The 1.3.0 update will be released around the middle of February 2018. This patch will add the ability to begin a new game plus file and fix an issue with a certain Driver’s Blades disappearing after a certain point in the game due to a 1.2.0 patch problem.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2’s new game plus mode is being called “Advanced New Game.” The official website does not mention what will carry over in it.

The bug regarding the missing Blades is one that can occur in Chapter 7, then continue through the rest of the game. If a specific Driver has a Blade equipped, then that Blade can disappear from the Blade list due to certain action. It has not been accidentally released or deleted, but it no longer appears in the list. 1.3.0 will make sure this does not happen and the Blades all remain in the list.
dog

Rich!

« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2018, 04:22:12 PM »
Up to 90 hours now. Level 72/73 (apart from nia who is inexplicably level 79?!) Just spending time doing sidequests, and there's a shitload of them. I've only really followed the story up to the final boss, but I'm surprised by just how deep the other stuff is - there's so much to do with quests, affinity, dev levels, poppiswap, etc. I'll keep going until I beat all the superbosses, especially artifice ophion as I want in on that secret room!

I've completed Pyra and Mythra's affinity charts. Almost finished Azami's.

Still missing a few blades - kasandra, kosmos, herald, newt, adernine and perceval. A few of those I can get tonight, but fuck knows when I'll ever see kos mos

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2018, 07:46:57 PM »
Up to chapter 9 and some of the battles are getting pretty frustrating (not to mention the skill checks too)...at level 66 now... so I'll go back and catch up on sidequests and blade quests for a bit... I think I'm missing like 10 gatcha blades.
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #218 on: January 29, 2018, 08:19:52 PM »
Up to chapter 9 and some of the battles are getting pretty frustrating (not to mention the skill checks too)...at level 66 now... so I'll go back and catch up on sidequests and blade quests for a bit... I think I'm missing like 10 gatcha blades.

At that point in the game, I just started running away from every battle that wasn’t scripted. A lot of those enemies are harder than any story battle.
©@©™

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2018, 12:30:26 AM »
 Up to chapter 7 and losing any interest in keeping playing :(

There's so many little things about this game I find annoying

Tokyosandblaster

« Reply #220 on: February 01, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »
As a big fan of the first game, how likely am I going to enjoy the rest of the game? I'm on chapter 3. I like the characters for the most part. The story is pretty good. Battle system is decent, although I miss being able to move and do damage. How important is the gacha blade game going forward? As of right now, I'd like to stick with my default 3 person party and their default blades. I had to switch the new dude out with the fucking ponpon that's a tank. Should I continue?

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #221 on: February 01, 2018, 12:02:22 PM »
The game is good.  Keep playing.
🍆🍆

Rahxephon91

« Reply #222 on: February 01, 2018, 12:59:07 PM »
I'd say stop because the game is a peice of shit but since you already like the awful characters and story.....

Also you get a new tank and no you can't just use the default Blades. Until then you have to use the tank given to you and don't worry about Vandham.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:05:39 PM by Rahxephon91 »

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #223 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:25 AM »
I need to get to level 5 affinity quickly for 2 of my blades to unlock their quests... any easy way to grind affinity?
^_^

Boredfrom

« Reply #224 on: February 17, 2018, 03:00:38 PM »
I need to get to level 5 affinity quickly for 2 of my blades to unlock their quests... any easy way to grind affinity?

Pouch items.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #225 on: February 26, 2018, 04:46:01 PM »
Finished it after 80-90 hours (In game timer was fucked). Did not enjoy it in the end and won't be playing new game plus.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2018, 11:09:11 PM »
They datamined the rare blade drops, KOS-MOS is of course the lowest:

https://nintendoeverything.com/fans-datamine-xenoblade-chronicles-2-rare-blade-drop-rates/
^_^

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: February 27, 2018, 10:13:14 AM »
Looks like my save was in Column 3.
©@©™

Boredfrom

« Reply #228 on: February 28, 2018, 12:54:03 PM »
They datamined the rare blade drops, KOS-MOS is of course the lowest:

https://nintendoeverything.com/fans-datamine-xenoblade-chronicles-2-rare-blade-drop-rates/

lol, the system is fucked up.

Also, Agate was my first rare blade, so lol.

Bebpo

« Reply #229 on: March 04, 2018, 12:31:13 AM »
New patch out makes pulls much quicker. Can skip all the animations, but of course it's iffy implemented so you have to choose to skip before you even pull, so if you do get a unique you miss their introduction movie. And there's still a bunch of button presses every time you pull. Why does it have to ask you if you want to equip after every pull? If they're going to force you to make a choice after each pull, why not add a "equip yes/no/trash" option. The whole limited selection, gotta keep trashing pulls system is so stupid.

I'm still missing like 10+ uniques, pulled 8 epics, 20 rares, 30 commons tonight after this patch and got...1 unique :\

I'm at the

tree
[close]

Every time I sit down to play it after a long amount of time it goes like this:

-Oh hey, this is pretty and sounds good
-Oh hey, this combat is fun
-Oh hey, my AI teammates never do anything intelligent so I can't pull off driver combos because stupid ass eye patch man with his lightning pal won't UPPER the goddamn grounded enemy.
-Oh hey, enemy mobs pulling from everywhere, so much HP on little mobs even with lvl.3 blade combos, this is tedious as shit
-Oh hey, just died because pulled too many mobs on accident and couldn't run in time, time to go through a section again and fight everything that gets pulled again
-Oh hey, got a new blade, let's look at its tree, oh that's ton of grinding for a little content
-Oh hey, ran into another field check, time to switch in a bunch of useless blades for the check after slowly searching through list for the correct field skills, then do the check for something super minor, then remember to set everyone's blades back in
-Oh hey, merc missions came back, time to send them back out again for the 10,000 time

Like, there is a lot I really like about XB2, big environments, awesome towns, great music, solid battle system, solid story/characters.

but

This is like one of the most tedious games ever to actually play because of all the sub-system bullshit. I'm a huge Takahashi fan and enjoyed everything he's directed immensely until Xenoblade X. That was the first game of his I thought was kinda bad and a mess, mostly because of lack of an actual plot/characters and the mechs breaking the traversal and mech combat being kinda shitty. Xenoblade 2 is kinda continuing the trend of great game somewhere in there but a mess. The plot/characters are back in, but now there's a ton of annoyances that weren't in XBX /sigh

Will finish the story up at some point (might just use the new easy mode, tested it and all it seems to do is cut enemy HP by a ton) but even though there was a ton of content with all these blade quests, I can't see myself sticking with the game because of the grind you have to do for them.

It's weird because I felt like XB1 got it right the first time outside the 9,000 filler sidequests if you wanted to build the cities up, but that was all optional. I thought the combat worked in XB1 and I liked how you could assign a teammates move to your command bar so you had some control over what they execute. I much preferred the story/characters/world of that one too. I feel like the sense of mysterious exploration in XB1 isn't quite matched in XB2 and there's no moments like the marsh at night, or the city in the ocean, etc... XB1 felt like a single player MMO with a good story along the lines of FFXII. XBX/XB2 haven't really felt like that to me.

Bebpo

« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2019, 07:53:09 PM »
So now that I finished this I looked up to see how many blades I'm missing from random pulls. Looks like even though I'm missing like 10-15 blades, only about 4 are left from random pulls which probably explains why when I pulled 18 epic core crystals and 10 rare core crystals last night all I got was T.Elos. The rest are all from sidequests.

Man I didn't even get Poppi's 3rd form and was wondering why little noppon guy only had 2 blades even in the end.

Probably should've done more sidequests. I mean I put like 100 hours into the game doing tons of exploration but I thought the sidequests all kinda sucked (like the original) and didn't bother with them.

Before I move to Torna, will maybe try to grab some of the quest/dlc item ones and try out the battle arena. Although I dunno what the point is, you get a new blade and without grinding or using it for hours upon hours all you get to do is watch it do a few moves special moves and you're over it in 5 mins. Locking each special blades unique quest or quests behind hours of grinding each of them was the dumbest thing ever. I enjoyed the blade quests I did with the blades I used, but for the majority of blades I never unlocked them far enough to get to their quests :| And no way I'm grinding new blades at this point after I've beat it just to do a little ok sidequest that develops their character a tiny bit.

Blades really were a mistake. Don't like them in the story, don't care for them in the gameplay. Blah.

Also can we talk about the ending?

I'm fine with all the connections to Xenoblade 1 except the whole PORTAL-HALF MAN is half of the badguy/boss/god in XB1 who is completely whole and this totally feels like a dumbass retcon that makes no sense because how does the XB2 half a man pee if half his dick's in a portal? Like thousands of years he only has one leg to move around and one arm and makes a full universe out of it? Just seems so dumb to me I can't wrap my head around half-portal man or take it seriously /shrug

Couldn't they have just done the split person without literally splitting him? Like just half his soul or something is over in XB1. The portal thing is just duuuuumb.
[close]

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2019, 09:56:40 PM »
I’ve also been debating about getting 100% on XC2 but some of the side quests are painful.  XC2 is a 200+ hour game I’d say.  I bought the season pass but haven’t done much with it.  Maybe I’ll revisit it someday.
🍆🍆

Bebpo

« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2019, 03:39:11 AM »
Messed around with the challenge arena, was ok but not really my thing at this point. Tried to get Poppi's 3rd form but every step is grinding/farming. This whole game is nothing but grind after grind. I just don't find it fun to play. Gonna call it quits and just move to Torna. Hopefully Torna is a lot more streamlined and less of a grind.

bluemax

« Reply #233 on: February 02, 2019, 02:05:04 AM »
I've done so many sidequests that I just put the game on auto battle all the time. Also I think having bought Torna and all the DLC bonuses it grants probably trivalized the game a bit. The only times I've struggled were when I thought I had to do a few boss fights with only 2 characters (because the UI is balls across the board in this game).
NO