Author Topic: why is MGS 5 asking me to kidnap Africans for profit?  (Read 2605 times)

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
why is MGS 5 asking me to kidnap Africans for profit?
« on: December 03, 2017, 02:34:08 AM »
 :holeup :kobeyuck :mindblown :gurl :beli :comeon :snoop :goty :foxx :iface :cmonson

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
Re: why is MGS 5 asking me to kidnap Africans for profit?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 02:35:02 AM »
diamond 👏 dogs 👏 is 👏 not 👏 a 👏 worker 👏 cooperative 👏

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 02:42:18 AM »
Because it is an iconoclast, avant garde work on the nature of war from the guy who predicted in 2001 that the internet would be important. You will regret your words, deeds and smileys.

I mean it has Sacco and Vanzetti theme, what more so you want ? ::)
ὕβρις

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 02:58:23 AM »
respect the troops
pcp

Kara

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 03:05:17 AM »
The front in der Kulturkampf that formed around this game was about being horny online? I still can't wrap my head around this.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 03:25:20 AM »
The front in der Kulturkampf that formed around this game was about being horny online? I still can't wrap my head around this.

It depends who you talk too. I used to discuss with a couple of big Kojima fans and they bought hook, line and sinker that he is a visionary thinker and that MGSV, as per his usual hyperbolic pre-launch marketing, was gonna tackle taboo subjects in groundbreaking ways (also be a gaming revolution while we're at it) and they'll continue to bombard you with shallow walls of text to prove it (fyi, they clinged on "child soldiers" as the pittance for those grand claims), should you engage one despite MGS having a pretty childish and boilerplate understanding of War (basically bad things happen because of a secret cabal of bad people, mostly American by matter of coincidence, any political discourse being an empty front) while being enamored with an extravagant romantic version of the warrior's ethos.

Quiet being a flashpoint isn't that superficial when you consider that it's a pretty glaring example of Kojima gaslighting. As usual, he assured everyone there was some big deep meaning behind the character and that the critics would eat crow in shame when the game would release and provide context but to the surprise of no one it was all teenage fantasies on steroids. It's an apt symbol for his work in general.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:31:18 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 05:37:47 AM »
ya but you can have your helicopter play "The Internationale" or "Hymn of the Soviet Union" or "No Chance In Hell" or "Bustin" out of the speakers

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 06:08:22 AM »

It depends who you talk too. I used to discuss with a couple of big Kojima fans and they bought hook, line and sinker that he is a visionary thinker and that MGSV, as per his usual hyperbolic pre-launch marketing, was gonna tackle taboo subjects in groundbreaking ways (also be a gaming revolution while we're at it) and they'll continue to bombard you with shallow walls of text to prove it (fyi, they clinged on "child soldiers" as the pittance for those grand claims), should you engage one despite MGS having a pretty childish and boilerplate understanding of War (basically bad things happen because of a secret cabal of bad people, mostly American by matter of coincidence, any political discourse being an empty front) while being enamored with an extravagant romantic version of the warrior's ethos.

Quiet being a flashpoint isn't that superficial when you consider that it's a pretty glaring example of Kojima gaslighting. As usual, he assured everyone there was some big deep meaning behind the character and that the critics would eat crow in shame when the game would release and provide context but to the surprise of no one it was all teenage fantasies on steroids. It's an apt symbol for his work in general.
Kojima's an overrated wanker.
ya but you can have your helicopter play "The Internationale" or "Hymn of the Soviet Union" or "No Chance In Hell" or "Bustin" out of the speakers
This however, is an irrefutable counterpoint.
Hi

Himu

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »
MGS is best as a simple gi Joe story, story-wise.

Anyways, MGS games for story that aren't 1 and maybe 3? Lol *fans in front of noise to get rid of fart fumes*

Dat gameplay
IYKYK

Rahxephon91

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 07:40:50 AM »
Dat gameplay...............................surrounded by crap.

paprikastaude

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2017, 08:03:19 AM »
Dat gameplay...............................surrounded by crap.

That's all the other MGS games but V, considering that there's hardly any story interrupting the game after the intro (and almost none of Kojima's fetish for literal crap/feces) - Other than that you're Kurt Russel in cartoon cold war land, doing whatever badass thing the gameplay can get you.

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 08:23:55 AM »

How old were these fans? I do remember that I took the secret conspiracy shit in the MGS games a tad more serious as a teen. Playing MGS 2 and Deus Ex brought me straight to Illuminatus btw  :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 08:35:51 AM »
Perfectly formed adults.
ὕβρις

desert punk

• ENDUT! HOCH HECH!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 10:20:20 AM »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 11:42:19 AM »
Because they breathe through their skin. :wag
que

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »
Just play "Kids in America" on the helicopter. It makes it all fine.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 01:01:19 PM »
Would it be better if you were just kidnapping them for fun?
©@©™

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 07:00:33 PM »
As usual, he assured everyone there was some big deep meaning behind the character and that the critics would eat crow in shame when the game would release and provide context but to the surprise of no one it was all teenage fantasies on steroids.

Wait... you thought he was serious? :lol

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 07:19:55 PM »
As usual, he assured everyone there was some big deep meaning behind the character and that the critics would eat crow in shame when the game would release and provide context but to the surprise of no one it was all teenage fantasies on steroids.

Wait... you thought he was serious? :lol

Of course not. Some people absolutely did though.
ὕβρις

Bebpo

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 01:03:36 AM »

Game is worth it for introducing me to this.

...and Kids in America. Kojima has good taste in western music which is funny because he has terrible taste in western films.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 03:06:28 AM »

...and Kids in America. Kojima has good taste in western music which is funny because he has terrible taste in western films.

... you didn't know that song? D:

Also, please none of this Midge Ure or Nirvana nonsense, go for the original.

Bebpo

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 03:11:51 AM »
They're both great. The Ure version works better for MGSV because the psychedelic 60s vibe.

Kurt Russell

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 05:06:33 AM »
Other than that you're Kurt Russel in cartoon cold war land, doing whatever badass thing the gameplay can get you.

11/10 GOTY  :delicious
woke

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 01:02:32 PM »
The man who sold the world might just be the perfect song.

(and yeah, the Midge Ure isn't as good as the original and the Nirvana cover? GTFO!)
que

Himu

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 03:37:49 PM »
Bebpo never heard Kids In America before MGSV?!
IYKYK

zomgee

• We've *all*
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 11:44:34 PM »

... you didn't know that song? D:

Also, please none of this Midge Ure or Nirvana nonsense, go for the original.

I thought it was a bit of a nod that they played a popular song, but by the artist you didn't expect.

GET IT!?!?
rub

Kara

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2017, 01:09:21 AM »

I don't think it's superficial, I just can't believe that it didn't seem to register at all on the cultural radar that this is a game where you can waylay Africans and present them with the choice of a short and violent life of unfree labor enriching an American or indefinite imprisonment (or other pleasant hospitality).

After reading this I realized I hadn't even considered the fact that the game goads you into sizing up which Africans you should waylay based on constructed systems. Will I be able to research some phrenology calipers if I level up my R&D platform high enough?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 01:13:39 AM by Kara »

bluemax

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2017, 02:14:07 AM »
First this board teaches me Kojima is a woman hater: http://ettugamer.com/tag/hideo-kojima/ and now he's a colonialist too? And all this time I thought he was just a shitty game director.
NO

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 09:36:20 AM »
First this board teaches me Kojima is a woman hater: http://ettugamer.com/tag/hideo-kojima/ and now he's a colonialist too? And all this time I thought he was just a shitty game director.

I mean, I don't know Kojima as a person and AFAIK his personal mindset is fairly undocumented but it's not hard to imagine that he'd be the poster boy of the fact that the absence of ill-intent is not the absence of harm (without being too aggrandizing). Besides it's not like Japan is unfamiliar with militarism, imperialism and colonialism and it's not exactly clear to say the least they came to grips with it as a society. There's many examples of a form of military fetichism permeating pop culture to some extent.

I don't think it's superficial, I just can't believe that it didn't seem to register at all on the cultural radar that this is a game where you can waylay Africans and present them with the choice of a short and violent life of unfree labor enriching an American or indefinite imprisonment (or other pleasant hospitality).

After reading this I realized I hadn't even considered the fact that the game goads you into sizing up which Africans you should waylay based on constructed systems. Will I be able to research some phrenology calipers if I level up my R&D platform high enough?

I'm guessing you refer to the mechanic of abducting enemy soldiers to man up your super cool, justice minded, mercenary outfit. Don't worry ! You could do the same to Latin Americans in Peace Walker. I don't know if you're familiar with that but Big Dick mercenary's outfit in this one was called Militaires Sans Frontières:lol
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 09:45:26 AM »

Just what you'd expect from the master.
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 10:00:16 AM »
Though in fairness to Kojima, there's some real musing on the cost of violence in his game and parts where he did try to incorporate it into mechanics. That's probably a lot more than a lot of games can say.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 11:04:18 AM »
I'm guessing you refer to the mechanic of abducting enemy soldiers to man up your super cool, justice minded, mercenary outfit. Don't worry ! You could do the same to Latin Americans in Peace Walker.

You mainly kidnapped members of Peace Sentinel in that game and Peace Sentinel was an organization which was predominantly comprised of U.S. nationals fighting off the books for the U.S. in one of the many dirty wars waged by the U.S.

You forgot the basics of CQC Metal Gear's rich and incisive lore. :ufup

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 11:54:46 AM »
Is it any better though ? Monika blowing Hot Goldman.
ὕβρις

Kara

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 11:43:21 PM »
If you're asking me if it's better to kidnap and profit off the unfree labor of members of the American military-surveillance apparatus unofficially operating in a peaceful Latin American country as part of a murderous and ecocidal scheme to use nuclear weapons than it is to do the same off of Africans in Africa my answer is an enthusiastic yes.

Not only is it better, it's fucking rad as hell.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2017, 12:14:44 AM »
Monika blowing Hot Goldman is what my phone understood when I typed Kojima blowing Hot Coldman.
ὕβρις

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2017, 12:34:01 AM »
It's a shame you can't kill them a la Fallout classic. Being able to shoot the little shit Eli would've saved Venom and company a lot of grief in the long-run.

kingv

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2017, 11:23:25 AM »
Yet another reason 2d fallout is better than 3d