Author Topic: Bayonetta 3 (plus 1&2) Switch  (Read 4407 times)

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
Bayonetta 3 (plus 1&2) Switch
« on: December 07, 2017, 10:34:02 PM »

fat

Bebpo

Re: Bayonetta 3 (plus 1&2) Switch
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:35:46 PM »
WAT

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:36:57 PM »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:37:19 PM »
I didn't even like Bayo2 much compared to the excellent original (I beat #2 a couple of times and can't remember a single battle/boss/area past the intro on the jet, but it was a solid fun character action game),

But yeah Switch lineup is getting damn good.

Any chance Kamiya will direct this one?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:45:03 PM by Bebpo »

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 10:40:30 PM »
This is the one thing I wanted from this show and I still can't believe it

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 10:45:06 PM »
I missed out on Bayo 2 on the Wii U, so I'll definitely pick this up [along with another sequel].
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 10:58:37 PM »
Looks like this is going to be handled Resident Evil Revelations style- Bayo 2 is a cart and Bayo 1 will be download only.
ど助平

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 11:01:26 PM »

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 11:11:27 PM »
shit I was hoping for a port but goddamn
pcp

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 12:11:50 AM »
shit I was hoping for a port but goddamn

you get the ports as well though.

unless you mean to wiiU  :comeon

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 03:39:20 AM »
I didn't even like Bayo2 much compared to the excellent original (I beat #2 a couple of times and can't remember a single battle/boss/area past the intro on the jet, but it was a solid fun character action game),

I love both games, but Bayo 2 is my favorite.

The pacing is fantastic.  The game begs to be played in lengthy sessions. The scenarios and the music builds up throughout the campaign until it reaches intense heights. The music adds so much to the game. Admittedly, the last 20% of the game doesn’t live up to the rest, but that’s true of so many games.

Bayo 1, which I love, had more puzzle-ish sequences, which broke up the action a bit more. I like the immediate climax after climax feel of Bayo 2 better.

My biggest complaint with Bayo 2 would be that I wish it had more recognizably real world is environments. You spend a significant portion of the game in mystic animu kingdom. No biggie really.
serge

Corporal

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 07:21:01 AM »
That local multiplayer mode in 2 has me intrigued. Might bite just for that.

Good stuff, though. I mean, I'm not a huge Bayo fan. The first game was not really my cup of tea, and well, the second game was on WiiU. So I'm kinda looking forward to this. Finally getting to see what the hype was/is all about.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:17:34 AM by Corporal »
!list

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2017, 08:27:34 AM »
That local multiplayer mode in 2 has me intrigued. Might bite just for that.

It's a separate mode and not full-on levels.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2017, 08:50:55 AM »
Is it just a local version of the multiplayer in bayo 2? If so it’s not worth getting too excited for. It’s fun for an hour or two, but doesn’t have a ton of depth.

Corporal

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »
Well damn.

:yuck

Oh well. That dampens my enthusiasm a bit. Gonna wait for a deal or two on that unless I somehow get hypejacked again.
!list

Mr. Nobody

• Groovy.
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2017, 11:13:18 AM »
About to replay 1 and 2 off the strength of this announcement :rejoice

kingv

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2017, 11:17:31 AM »
Probably my two favorite campaigns of all time.

I wish they would port all of platinum to switch actually.

Bebpo

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2017, 11:41:06 AM »

I love both games, but Bayo 2 is my favorite.

The pacing is fantastic.  The game begs to be played in lengthy sessions. The scenarios and the music builds up throughout the campaign until it reaches intense heights. The music adds so much to the game. Admittedly, the last 20% of the game doesn’t live up to the rest, but that’s true of so many games.

Bayo 1, which I love, had more puzzle-ish sequences, which broke up the action a bit more. I like the immediate climax after climax feel of Bayo 2 better.

My biggest complaint with Bayo 2 would be that I wish it had more recognizably real world is environments. You spend a significant portion of the game in mystic animu kingdom. No biggie really.

Bayo 2 just felt more of the same, less striking scenarios, less challenging combat, story was zzz cutscene skipper, it was perfectly fine but to me lacked the charisma and combat perfect design (not too much depth, not too little, just the right enemies to work with it) and omg moments of a Kamiya game.

It was still good. But like the original was a 9.5/10 character action game to me, just behind DMC3 and NG Black. Bayo 2 was more like an 8.5/10 great play.

Hopefully Kamiya is back for 3, I mean original he was gonna do 2 himself but Sega said no and he moved on to W101 before it was greenlit. Now he’s free since dragon game got canned, so...

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »
My kids was asking a few weeks ago if they were working Bayonetta 3 and I was like "Don't get your hopes up."
Now this. Can't wait.

:rejoice

que

Tasty

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »
So this is basically a Nintendo IP now right? :lol

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2017, 12:57:45 PM »
I'm surprised that Nintendo is coming back to the Bayonetta well again, given that Bayo 2 apparently sold pretty poorly, but maybe they figure that was at least partially because it was on such an unpopular console?
dog

Corporal

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2017, 01:07:50 PM »
Yeah, being a WiiU exclusive certainly did it no favours.
So this is basically a Nintendo IP now right? :lol
I guess. After Nintendo more or less paid for Bayo2 I don't doubt they have the franchise in their claws now.
!list

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2017, 01:21:20 PM »
I'm surprised that Nintendo is coming back to the Bayonetta well again, given that Bayo 2 apparently sold pretty poorly, but maybe they figure that was at least partially because it was on such an unpopular console?

I'm gonna laugh if this bombs a third time. Didn't the first one kinda have tepid sales? I mean it was "successful" but airquotes there because we never really got solid numbers for it?

Tasty

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »

Probably a combo of that + being friends with the people at Platinum and wanting to help them out. Plus they probably want to have a "prestige" title.

Rich!

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
Yeah Bayo is a ninty franchise now

which is good for me, because Nintendo consoles are the only guaranteed purchases I'll make. I may need to buy another pair of joycons after the thrashing they'll get playing three rounds of bayonetta though

I'm also of the opinion that 1 was better than 2. Mostly because I fucking hated loki, that little cunt

But bayo 1 had those stupid as fuck PRESS X OR DIIIIEEE qte moments. I actually think B3 could be the best, especially if Kamiya is directing again

kingv

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2017, 06:45:05 PM »
I think the estimates I saw for bayo 2 were in the half a million range, which is probably pretty good for a Wii U game that’s not Mario or Smash.

I wonder if it’s more about tge Bayonetta 2 customers buy a lot of games in general and Nintendo wants them on their platform. I know I bought a U most for Bayo 2 but once I bought it I bought another 10-12 games.

I like both games a lot, but edge out bayo 2 a bit, even if Bayo 1 may have had better elements, like the final boss and some of the other giant bosses.

IMO the harrier parts kind of sucked in 1, and I’m glad to see 2 reign that in. 1 also had one or two levels that I just sort of thought were too unforgiving. Particularly the one where you have to jump car to car.

kingv

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2017, 06:47:30 PM »
Also 2 has a better soundtrack. Moon river just sounds muddy to me.

paprikastaude

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »
Bayonetta was the closest Kamiya ever got to making a bad game (though W101 also had some questionable design choices). The battle system was there, but the level/game design was surprisingly trash. Not only the QTEs were terrible, but almost all of the genre switching was horrendous, sometimes you'd receive stark strikes in the same second a cutscene ends, and there were many equal low-key shenigans. Getting the majority of stone statues on your first Bayonetta walkthrough isn't because of poor battle skills, but only because you will die through arbitrary bs. Thankfully the second game removed all that shit mercilessly.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:26:10 PM by Spieler1 »

kingv

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2017, 11:03:05 PM »
I still like it better than W101.

I don’t really get the love for that game entirely. I liked it ok, but the shit kind of dragged out too long and the battle system just wasn’t that fun. Much preferred bayonetta 1.

I agree that 2 is way better for the same reasons though.

Bebpo

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2017, 01:04:41 AM »
Bayonetta was the closest Kamiya ever got to making a bad game (though W101 also had some questionable design choices). The battle system was there, but the level/game design was surprisingly trash. Not only the QTEs were terrible, but almost all of the genre switching was horrendous, sometimes you'd receive stark strikes in the same second a cutscene ends, and there were many equal low-key shenigans. Getting the majority of stone statues on your first Bayonetta walkthrough isn't because of poor battle skills, but only because you will die through arbitrary bs. Thankfully the second game removed all that shit mercilessly.

See, I agree with you. The non-traditional combat sections were garbage and the QTEs were dumb. B2 fixes this.

But at the end of the day all I care about is the traditional combat sections and in Bayo1 on hard those were incredibly satsfying from start to finish. The combat was perfect and the enemies were perfect challenges. I never felt that way about the Bayo2 combat and enemies. The combat felt a little too loose, you had too much to use instead of a more focused tighter movelist, and the enemies felt boring/annoying/gimmicky. I was just never engaged in the battles like I was in Bayo 1. And for a character action game I pretty much ignore all flaws beyond central combat encounters. Like I think DMC4 Nero half is fucking A+++ and so DMC4 is top-tier, objectively it has a ton of copy-paste and Dante is OP and there are other problems that none of that bothers me because playing as Nero against Nero's enemies/bosses feels so good and is up there with the best character action game.

For me it's like DMC3 > NG Black > Bayo 1 > DMC4 > NG2 > Bayo 2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> MG:R (aka, an entire game of press toward and nothing else)> DMC1 (barely a character action game, but I respect it for creating the genre) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DMC2

kingv

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2017, 10:16:49 AM »
I’m just excited to get so much character action-ness in one year. Even if 3 of the games I’m excited about are just ports.

paprikastaude

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
I’m just excited to get so much character action-ness in one year. Even if 3 of the games I’m excited about are just ports.

Bayonetta 3 doesn't look like a 2018 game, so right now it's just the DMC ports though?

Team Ninja needs to make a Nioh spinoff with NG gameplay.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2017, 01:03:07 PM »
MG:R (aka, an entire game of press toward and nothing else)

Metal Gear Rising is a 3D Sonic game?  It all makes sense now!
:ohhh
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2017, 01:29:45 PM »

Bayonetta 3 doesn't look like a 2018 game, so right now it's just the DMC ports though?

Team Ninja needs to make a Nioh spinoff with NG gameplay.

Nintendo seems to announce late, so there’s a chance Bayo 3 is still 2018, but who knows.

Bayo 1+2 are february though, which is basically the only reason I even still have my Wii U. I still might hold onto it though. Wii U strikes me as one of those systems that will be strangely expensive in 10 years, since it sold so poorly.

And I have never beaten dmc3 (even though I own it on like three platforms)

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »
My kids was asking a few weeks ago if they were working Bayonetta 3 and I was like "Don't get your hopes up."
Now this. Can't wait.

I don't know whether or not to be more weirded out that your kids play a sexy game like Bayonetta or that I've let my son play violent games like R6 Siege and COD.

kingv

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
My kid was Bayonetta for Halloween.

His friends thought he was super cool.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 09:46:08 PM »
Now this. Can't wait.

I don't know whether or not to be more weirded out that your kids play a sexy game like Bayonetta or that I've let my son play violent games like R6 Siege and COD.
Eh, you're never too young for fine, fine action games.
que