Author Topic: What do recent events at NeoGAF mean for the development of Dudebro II?  (Read 1419 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
I'm glad you asked!

ABOUT DUDEBRO™ II AND NEOGAF

As is well known, the idea for Dudebro™ II came into existence late 2009 when a thread on the gaming forum NeoGAF took an unexpected turn, and a unique set of circumstances led a surprisingly large number of gamers to come together and share the fun and excitement of putting their creativity into making a video game. Since then, Dudebro™ II and its development team underwent many changes, but it has always been widely known as “the NeoGAF game”, and all of its trailers started with a “NeoGAF presents” disclaimer.

The recent news surrounding NeoGAF and its staff have left the Dudebro™ II team members incredulous and confused. We have no certain information about what may have happened, but we can say for sure that the recent allegations go opposite to the spirit that has permeated our work from the very beginning. Dudebro™ II, at its heart, has always been the group effort of a community of video game fans, with the intent to make fun of their own hobby and its culture in a positive way.

The parties involved in the recent news have never been part of the project or been involved in its direction. Any of their actions, real or alleged, are solely their own. We unequivocally reject any such behavior, and our full sympathy and support go to the victims of these difficult situations.

For this reason, we have decided to remove all references to NeoGAF from the game and all the related material we control, and to form a new team (to be announced at a later date) to take over its development with no relation to the name of Grimoire Assembly Forge, while still carrying on the spirit Dudebro™ II originated from.

Since this is not a planned change, it may require some time to go fully into effect. For any inquiries, please contact us.

So, in case you were worried about how this would effect the future of Dudebro™ — My Shit Is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It’s Straight-Up Dawg Time, please put your mind at ease.
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
Re: What do recent events at NeoGAF mean for the development of Dudebro II?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »
TL;DR: It'll still never come out

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 04:17:19 PM »
wrong forum, mods please move so that Borian gamers will know about this important, breaking gaming newz
©@©™

samfish

• Cereal mispeller
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
It’s adorable that they’re still pretending this is a thing 8 years later.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 05:00:50 PM »
the last update on their site before this was 2 years before announcing that a level of the game was finished.....in super mario maker  :neogaf

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 05:15:43 PM »
Should have gotten this up on Kickstarter before GAF exploded, they definitely missed out there.
dog

Diunx

• Humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 08:34:20 PM »
 :iface What is this nerd shit on my superdeep borehole?
Drunk

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 08:51:52 PM »
The genesis of the Dudebro project actually started in a thread for Imagine: Babyz Fashion

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18783883&postcount=13
Well, I guess pedophiles play games too. Thanks for the warning.

It's like poetry...  :neogaf
©@©™

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
The fact that they actually got press release news posted on gaming sites tells you how low the bar is for those sites.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2017, 09:33:45 AM »
No one would distribute something with such a stupid name anyway.
©ZH

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 10:11:14 AM »
No one is distributing this anyway. People make games like this over a weekend at a game jam and release them on a download site, which is more than this thing will ever get :lol

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »
The opening line is one of the cringiest things I've read in a while, but I guess that's to be expected for a game with a title like that.

As is well known,

:smug

the idea for Dudebro™ II came into existence late 2009 when a thread on the gaming forum NeoGAF took an unexpected turn

:omg

and a unique set of circumstances led a surprisingly large number of gamers

:smug

to come together and share the fun and excitement of putting their creativity into making a video game

...and 8 years later still have not a goddamn thing to show about it. Get fucked and give up you losers. :ufup

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 10:42:59 AM »
...and 8 years later still have not a goddamn thing to show about it. Get fucked and give up you losers. :ufup
^FAKE NEWS: There are two Mario Maker levels based on the idea of this game that will never exist.

Tasty

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 10:44:45 AM »
FAKE NEWS: There are two Mario Maker levels based on the idea of this game that will never exist.

My statement will become true when Nintendo shuts down the Wii U's online, though. It's like all those awesome WarioWare DIY stages Jarosh made.

All those levels, lost like tears in rain.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
all that hard work down the (shower) drain :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 11:00:56 AM »
Videogame archivists in tears  :'(
©@©™

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 02:21:40 PM »
I want to see this come out in another couple years when everything it satirizes is even less relevant than they already became

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
YOU HATERS AND DOUBTERS ARE LONG AGO DEBUNKED BY FACTS:

Quote from: Jon St John Himself
I'm having fun at RoFCon and so pleased to have run into Robert to discuss the future of DUDEBRO! Not familiar? It's a way cool side scroller where weapons include a dolphin that fires from its blowhole, and a cat that fires a rainbow out its ass! Sounds nuts, right? It is!!

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Tyler Malka
1 year ago
Who would have thought something which has the involvement of neogaf users would end up being a failure?
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2017, 02:36:55 PM »
Broforce did beat us to the market (not hard to do, when you only have a bunch of people working part-time...), but I believe it's different enough to leave plenty of burgers on the table for both.

They may both be 2D sidescrollers with a "bros gone to war" theme, but this is where the similarities pretty much end. Likewise, CoD may share the same genre and theme as CounterStrike or ArmA, but we all know that's not enough to lump them all together, as they have very distinct gameplay styles and are aimed at different audiences.

I admit I haven't played Broforce yet (in fact, I've tried to avoid most media from the game to prevent being influenced unconsciously), so please feel free to correct me if I say anything inaccurate, but I believe it's way more focused on shooting/explosions and co-op/multiplayer, with most of the humor being the cameos and references to action movies. Dudebro, on the other hand, is more geared towards single player (but not only that!), with well-defined level design that requires skillful use of the tools at your disposal to traverse, and a style of humor that's more akin to Naked Gun or Edgar Wright than Scary Movie (genre parody, rather than specific references).

So, ideally, both games would complement each other rather nicely.

Tasty

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 02:56:26 PM »
:dead Gimme more benji

benjipwns

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 03:22:01 PM »
the video is from 2012, the gifs are from 2015 when he was last promoting the game in the GAF thread http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=165196395#post165196395

New website update: after last year's "Things You Didn't Know About Dudebro II", enter "Things You Didn't Know 2: Electric Brogaloo":

Progress has been steady for the past few months, and the game is getting more and more polished.
After gathering some feedback, Dudebro’s walking speed has been increased, making him more agile and responsive.
Remember the “significant, yet still incomplete, visual feature” supposedly not in the reveal trailer? It’s fully working now, and will be revealed soon.
One of the new weapons is officially fucking awesome. Everyone loved it during playtesting. Scientists confirmed it as “made of awesomantium”. There is no way around it. Wikipedia is getting updated as we speak.
Habemus Chicken’s peculiar first name was chosen after a misunderstanding on NeoGAF.
The Dude Squad spelled backwards is Dauqs Edud.
The game features a number of “Brotips” etched on wooden signs. Dudebro bothers to stop and read them because of the pics of naked ladies all around the text.
Dudebro was originally going to star in a new Old Spice commercial, but shit got fucked up and he went on a mission instead.
Long before getting his scars from a kitten, General Lee used to like cats. But that wasn’t considered manly enough, so he underwent surgery and now he hates them.
A post-release DLC scheme with payment in beer/junk food has been considered for more than thirty-six seconds.
Just like with the first list, some of these facts are completely false and made up on the spot. Okay, I admit it. We enjoy doing it.
As shown by this post, sequels are often more polished than the original but tend to become predictable after a while.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 03:46:55 PM »
I want to see this come out in another couple years when everything it satirizes is even less relevant than they already became

Tony Stark would have been able to build this game in a cave. With a box of scraps!
©@©™

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 05:50:58 PM »
lol neogaf. even the channer fuckheads were able to finish a shitty indie game.
Hi

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 07:37:02 PM »
For this reason, we have decided to remove all references to NeoGAF from the game and all the related material we control, and to form a new team (to be announced at a later date) to take over its development with no relation to the name of Grimoire Assembly Forge, while still carrying on the spirit Dudebro™ II originated from.

Something about the wording of this makes me think they've done a whole lot of nothing in regard to development.
野球

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 07:39:34 PM »
lol neogaf. even the channer fuckheads were able to finish a shitty indie game.

And what a game it was. :rejoice
©@©™

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 04:06:14 AM »
Emi is best girl. :uguu

SHE TASTES LIKE BACON
Hi