Author Topic: Cryptards get out  (Read 7229 times)

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
Cryptards get out
« on: January 14, 2018, 02:04:54 AM »
I feel like i should be able to get a government bond for a GPU because i'm going to be using it for something other than smashing crypto rocks as part of a glorified pyramid scheme.

my girlfriend had some bloke asking her for advice when she went to pick up the takeaway the other day. no doubt the has he's already plunged his second mortgage in buying a rack of £200 GPUs for £500 each.

had my eye on a nice WQHD monitor and a beefy card or two to drive it, using it to render at home instead of having to use the nodes in the office,  but fuck that for a game of soldiers. you're paying twice as much for a 2016 card as it used to cost a few months after launch.

you just know nvidia have had their eye on mooks dropping a grand on a new phone and want in on that action, and now that cryptards have opened that door it's never going to shut.

RANT

Akala

• Easy Victor
Re: Cryptards get out
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 04:24:23 AM »
It's fucking ridiculous.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 05:41:56 AM »
LOL at this sad nocoiner
🍆🍆

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 06:28:14 AM »
Yeah buttcoin is fucking stupid, is there even an actual ROI for it vs the cost of having a bunch of rigs running? :doge
Hi

kingv

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 10:01:18 AM »
From what I’ve read GPU mining is not even profitable anymore.

But yeah, I was going to upgrade a few months back but couldn’t stomach the idea that a GTX 1070 was actually MORE expensive now than at launch.

I had not looked at prices since before Xmas and holy shit! That’s insane. The current situation has to be hurting the entire pc gaming industry. Amazon doesn’t have a 1070 available for less than $700!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 10:06:11 AM by kingv »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »
It wasn't, now it is again. It depends on the coin and the algorithm used.

Freyj

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 12:53:00 PM »
PoS coins now

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:25:15 PM »
i remember feeling really poor during the first few waves of bitcoin mining hysteria. being stuck with a 460 didn't feel good man

but this time around, having a 1070 in my rig never felt better :smug

nudemacusers

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 08:51:04 AM »
lmao the piddly 1050ti I bought last spring is now twice the price wtf. 1080’s are a grand... guess I’ll skip an upgrade next month.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 01:08:56 PM »
I paid about $450 for a 1070 about 18 months ago, now it's going for over $1000. :neogaf
dog

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 01:13:51 PM »
Your pain is my gain. :money

spoiler (click to show/hide)
now I understand what rich republicans feel like  :doge
[close]

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 01:30:36 PM »
Glad I bought my 1070 last year. Jesus.
zzzzz

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 01:58:31 PM »
I paid about $450 for a 1070 about 18 months ago, now it's going for over $1000. :neogaf

Yeah, apparently even the 1060 (which is a budget card IIRC) is going for more than what I paid for it like two years ago. It's crazy.

kingv

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 02:14:16 PM »
I wonder what the heck Nvidia and AMD will do.

This is honestly not a good problem to have.

In the short term, it had increased demand because of people’s dumb get rich quick schemes, but at the same time, it’s risky to increase production, because by the time you cAtch up with demand the bubble might burst leaving you holding the bag.

But at the same time, the people buying your cards are largely not buying them to play games with, so you’re not really building brand loyalty, and potentially you’re losing a lot of future customers who would upgrade or build a PC but instead will his say fuck it and get a PS4 pro or X1X instead.

It probably works better for AMD, because their cards are not all that competitive right now, so it gives them some breathing room to figure out how to make GPUs that don’t suck.

Lastly, they will have to roll over these sales numbers next year, and that will be hard as shit if the crypto market crashes in the next year, or really even if it just sort of flatlines. At some point the hashes will become harder, on average, and gpu mining will become unprofitable, unless you believe that there will
Be a steady stream of viable new currencies for the foreseeable future.

That just seems to defy logic, considering that nobody actually uses crypto currency to do anything other than to sell it each other on Coinbase’s internal ledger, because the transaction costs are too high.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 05:59:51 AM »
nVIDIA has long pushed Compute, i know some statistical modeling now uses compute rather than staying on CPUs like meteorology and stuff

it was their GPU's dominating stuff like Folding@Home for years, that's fallen off but they still do the most work by far per client

unless you're using something built for it most of the compute units will just sit idle on a gaming card

the obvious "solution" to me would be a card with roughly the same number of CUs, but take the VRAM off to some extent? maybe they can even use one of the lower model cores i don't know how much that would effect the mining compared to having the CUs?

gamers would never want the card, but anyone just doing compute might prefer it, especially if you could run a bunch of them together

actually, i think that's what Telsa sorta is but those cost like $4000+ (or $500,000 on eBay "IDEAL FOR MINING" lol)

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 06:55:42 AM »
lmao the piddly 1050ti I bought last spring is now twice the price wtf. 1080’s are a grand... guess I’ll skip an upgrade next month.

Lol can I sell my 1050ti with a profit now?  :lol

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2018, 08:10:16 AM »
If electricity in Denmark is as expensive as here in Germany, then probably not.

Oh, also AMD's Vega architecture is pretty beefy on the compute side. In ways that are not at all useful for gaming. Hm. :doge

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2018, 08:38:35 AM »
apparently it's all gone south since i made this thread.

remember to thank me when you can get a 1080ti for half the RRP off ebay.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2018, 09:02:55 AM »
That might be semi-console related in terms of the servers. Especially Microsoft's cloud.

Amazon's cloud is shifting over to using Tesla's and that's the way they're differentiating the tiers they offer, everything has the same Xeon's, etc. It's just they add more Tesla's to it. I guess internally they've already made the switch.

They even seem to suggest that you should just emulate most CPU functions on the Tesla's and that working through the multiple Tesla's using NVLink creates an insane amount of bandwidth to where you only go back out to the Xeon at the end and start.

I have no idea what Azure uses hardware wise.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2018, 10:49:11 AM »
I think part of the driver licensing agreement is that you can't use GeForce cards in data centers, only Tesla/Quadros. I don't know how much higher-spec and more reliable the Tesla/Quadro boards are, though.

Nothing's stopping you from writing your own drivers, however!

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2018, 07:47:41 PM »
hopefully i'll be able to buy a 1080ti on the cheap

i did skimp out on the engagement ring afterall

Shuri

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2018, 08:02:14 PM »
Dudes at work were talking about selling their gpus on ebay today  :lol

Bebpo

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 08:06:13 PM »
I have an extra 980 that was a total mistake since hardly anything ever supported SLI. It's dusty and I've got no packaging. You think with this crypto phase I could still sell it for a decent penny?

Also I fear the day my other 980 bites the dust or can't run a modern PC game I wanna play well enough since getting a new card is obviously now and forever all kinds of fucked. Almost feel like I should just try to pre-order day 1 new Nvidia card every 2-3 years to get it at retail before it sells out and becomes 2-4x the price second hand.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 11:35:22 PM »
CONSOLE GAMING WINS AGAIN

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 07:09:42 AM »
crypto is more interesting than i gave it credit for. it's a great example of how a 100% free and unregulated market becomes a hopelessly manipulated and artificial one.

the main exchange and ad-hoc currency is run by the same shady camen island operation that explicitly says the fake money it gives you for coins is worth dick, which they can print it at will. whales jumt pump and dump whatever worthless shitcoin they think they can have an influence over at will, setting massive artificial buy/sell walls and front running the shit out of anything they can.

it's like an A-Z of illegal trading practices with the smartest neets acknowledging it and learning which whales to follow and when.

kingv

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 09:06:59 PM »
I wonder if Volta is also semi-imminent to the point where Nvidia is not churning out as many cards.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2018, 05:21:53 AM »
I wonder if Volta is also semi-imminent to the point where Nvidia is not churning out as many cards.
Also
https://twitter.com/jwangARK/status/954429531678543872?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

(The chart is stupid, yes. :doge )

kingv

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2018, 09:59:10 AM »
The more that real industry seems to actually align around crypto, the more I worry about a crash.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »
The more that real industry seems to actually align around crypto, the more I worry about a crash.

How i feel too. None of this seems sustainable.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/01/cryptocurrency-boom-creates-insane-global-graphics-card-shortage/

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 05:22:35 AM »
I made this thread and GPU mining has been on a steady downtrend since. barely profitable at this point and whole farms are shutting down.

you're welcome.

kingv

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 08:10:26 AM »
But a GTX 1070 is still $600

:goty2

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 09:48:49 AM »
Hopefully, we will be able to get used 1080 for less than $300 once this downward trend starts picking up.
©ZH

archie4208

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 10:13:59 AM »
But a GTX 1070 is still $600

:goty2
The 1100 series is being announced today which possibly means Nvidia has stopped production of the last gen cards.  Lord knows how much a 1180 will cost.

kingv

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 10:40:27 AM »
Possibly, but Rx580s are still
Like $400 when they should be like $250, so I don’t have a ton of hope that the 1100 series is going to be reasonably priced, or available at msrp.

Crypto has killed my interest in PX gaming. I was planning on upgrading to 1100 series, but I just upgraded my consoles instead.

kingv

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 01:52:51 PM »
We’re never getting GTX 11 series. If you want to upgrade, you will pay $600 for a $330 GPU and like it!

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2018, 05:10:28 AM »
Ok 1080s are "back down" to around $500, bless up
yar

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2018, 01:13:56 AM »
im still on an R9 280x  :'(
◕‿◕

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2018, 05:33:01 AM »
Still a very capable card. Around 1050ti level, better in compute heavy titles. Nowhere near as efficient though.

I wish mine hadn't died. ;_;

kingv

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2018, 10:22:53 AM »
I’m still rocking my 970.

Frankly, it’s still pretty ok and I can still usually hit 1080p60 if I sacrifice graphics enough.

I’ll be interested in upgrading once I can get 4k60 for like under $400.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2018, 11:24:56 AM »
still on a 960 here...def. upgrading soon though haha

kingv

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2018, 12:56:26 PM »
I didn’t upgrade to a 1070 because I thought the prices were too high at launch for what you got. Performance for dollar seemed to be about the same or only a little higher than a 970 because of the big price jump. Though, I don’t expect the prices to drop much in the next gen.

Coax

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2018, 01:43:55 PM »
By the time there's some demanding game I'm interested in (eg Cyberpunk) I'll be considering new cards, though atm I'm okay-ish with 900 series.

Main downside to Maxwell is the lack of native 4K HEVC HDR decoding, so if a Blu-Ray is too demanding at times it's pretty much unwatchable. That said so many are upscales that for the most part it hasn't been too much of an issue.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2018, 01:44:38 PM »
im still on an R9 280x  :'(

Me too, my dude. Me too...

:fbm
yar

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2018, 12:54:00 PM »
My old R9 270 4GB died and got warranty replaced with a R9 390 8GB.  :cody :mouf

I just need it to live forever.  :brazilcry
©ZH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2018, 02:37:40 PM »
GTX980 Ti going strong.

My friends made fun of me because it was so expensive.

Who's laughing now bois.  :lol
🤴

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2018, 08:34:48 PM »
mining isn't profitable anymore even if you live in a cave in latvia.

we were on the right side of history.

Brehvolution

©ZH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 01:57:01 PM »
wow someone who still buys AMD graphics cards. I've found a unicorn.
🤴

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2018, 02:58:12 PM »
How many bitcoins per second can that farm?
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2018, 06:17:30 PM »

They’re for those of us that can’t afford Nvidia.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2018, 06:28:48 PM »
🤴

kingv

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2018, 08:57:50 PM »
Maybe he wants Adaptive Sync?

I’ll probably go red with my next video card. I have a 970 now though, and it seems like we have at least another gen before it makes sense to upgrade it at current prices.

thisismyusername

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2018, 09:18:02 PM »
The only reason to go #TeamRed over #TeamGreen is if you're hopping on the Linux train. :doge

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2018, 09:32:49 AM »
Cheap adaptive sync. With Nvidia, you pay a hefty premium for a G-Sync monitor, which soft-locks you into buying more Nvidia cards in the future.

Otherwise... Yeah. Nvidia has the lead in both grunt and efficiency right now.

Brehvolution

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2018, 10:01:39 AM »
It's the best value for my money.

The 1060 doesn't come in an 8GB version.

Are you trying to video card shame me?  :hmph
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »

They’re for those of us that can’t afford Nvidia.

Honestly, it was this review that sold me.

You can't do better than 5 stars.
©ZH

Brehvolution

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2018, 11:11:39 AM »
It's here. :heart
©ZH

thisismyusername

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:27 AM »
Cheap adaptive sync.

People actually use that?  :doge Even though AMD's is "open standard" I don't think any monitor comes with either of them for cheap years later to where most folks don't give a damn.