Author Topic: Cryptards get out  (Read 7223 times)

kingv

Re: Cryptards get out
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2018, 12:19:14 PM »
You can get a 28” 4K free sync monitor for like $300.

I think it’s  the same technology as VESA adaptive-sync, part of the DisplayPort standards.

I would use it if either 1) Gwynn was affordable or 2) amd had good cards.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2018, 01:30:24 PM »
It's here. :heart
Have you installed the drivers yet
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2018, 01:43:01 PM »
AMD drivers have been fine for years. :comeon

OpenGL support still sucks, but that's only an issue for emulators and old Id games.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2018, 01:59:22 PM »

I always stay up to date with VC drivers. I'm sure the latest drivers are already installed. Don't know yet if I'll install the manufacturer software or not.
©ZH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #64 on: November 14, 2018, 02:38:07 PM »

I always stay up to date with VC drivers. I'm sure the latest drivers are already installed. Don't know yet if I'll install the manufacturer software or not.
In my experience it's best to do a clean install of Windows when you switch out graphics cards.
It always turns into a mess when you keep the software and only swap out the graphics card.

Manufacturer software depends on what sort of tools are included. Sometimes there's important stuff like something you need for audio drivers.
Stay far away from other 'tools'.
🤴

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2018, 02:48:46 PM »
Hard pass on re-doing windows. I'm going from one AMD card to another. Their drivers aren't segmented by series like they were many years ago. Just like nvidia. I'd bet the driver on the disc is old than the one installed. Not like I have a CD-ROM installed anyway. :yuck
©ZH

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
even light RTX features apparently tanks BFV performance down 50% on a 2080ti. stunningly shit on value the new geforce cards.

hate that i have to use cuda for work, nvidia are such dorks. feel like an appletard.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2018, 08:29:25 PM »

In my experience it's best to do a clean install of Windows when you switch out graphics cards.

:huh

no
◕‿◕

kingv

« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2018, 11:02:48 PM »
even light RTX features apparently tanks BFV performance down 50% on a 2080ti. stunningly shit on value the new geforce cards.

hate that i have to use cuda for work, nvidia are such dorks. feel like an appletard.

The 2000 series seems kind of shaky in general. Almost like it’s hust rebranded 1000 series. Of course AMD rebranded the 400 series into the 500 series, so fair is fair.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2018, 04:37:08 AM »
looks like bitcoin has taken a nosedive the last couple days. RIP Assi

Brehvolution

« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2018, 08:52:34 AM »

The 2000 series seems kind of shaky in general. Almost like it’s hust rebranded 1000 series. Of course AMD rebranded the 400 series into the 500 series, so fair is fair.

I noticed that with AMD when I was doing comparisons. Almost half the 580 variants were using 480 chips.

Witcher 3 on Ultra with Hairworks™ :lawd
Even Geralts soul patch flicks with the wind.  :aah

I'm gonna bite the bullet and double dip on BLOPS 4 now that I have this thing. COuld really use RDR2 on PC. :noah
©ZH

kingv

« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
Do you get pretty good performance with hairworks on the 580?

I remember it being pretty shaky at launch on a 970.

It was mostly higher than 30 but not stable. That’s where I feel like adaptive sync would really help. I always tend to just turn off anything that puts me below 60fps so I don’t have to deal with screen tearing or hitching, but with adaptive sync it’s probably bearable.

Hopefully they build support for it into the next generation of consoles.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2018, 10:42:14 AM »
whats the most cost effective graphics card at this point?

I've got some extra money laying around and debating about a card and doing a new build.
dur

Brehvolution

« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2018, 11:15:44 AM »
Do you get pretty good performance with hairworks on the 580?

I remember it being pretty shaky at launch on a 970.

It was mostly higher than 30 but not stable. That’s where I feel like adaptive sync would really help. I always tend to just turn off anything that puts me below 60fps so I don’t have to deal with screen tearing or hitching, but with adaptive sync it’s probably bearable.

Hopefully they build support for it into the next generation of consoles.

So far so good, but I just started a fresh game. We will see what happens when I get to the cities. I'm more impressed by the shadows right now. I had them turned off on my old cards.
©ZH

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2018, 11:26:20 AM »

I've got some extra money laying around and debating about a card and doing a new build.
Depends on your budget and region.
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2018, 11:28:01 AM »

First table
https://www.anandtech.com/show/12050/best-video-cards

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2018, 12:05:12 PM »

Depends on your budget and region.

Wow so useful thanks
dur

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #77 on: November 15, 2018, 01:02:26 PM »
What I mean is, if you're in the US there's a newly launched Radeon RX590 for $279 which comes with free copies of Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry 5 and another game.
But the same card will cost you $349 - $399 in Europe bare bones.

The 1070 listed in Rufus' chart for $479 will cost you $550 in Europe.
🤴

Brehvolution

« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2018, 01:47:07 PM »
"$500 is the new $300"

©ZH

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2018, 02:05:18 PM »
:trumps

I've got 300€ earmarked for a new card, but I'm not entirely happy with any of the current offerings in that range . Mostly because of how old the chips are. I'll be riding it out until the 2060 or Navi.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2018, 02:16:00 PM »

I've got 300€ earmarked for a new card, but I'm not entirely happy with any of the current offerings in that range . Mostly because of how old the chips are. I'll be riding it out until the 2060 or Navi.
2060 would be your best best at 300 but my feeling is it'll be at least 350/379 once it drops.
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2018, 02:22:10 PM »
Likely. Maybe I'll be desperate enough to pay that much. Maybe. Until then, I've got plenty of old games to play. :hmph
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 02:26:44 PM by Rufus »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2018, 09:55:08 AM »
Like, honestly tho... if you're not playing at 4k AMD cards are fine. They're just ass for the high end. For budget and mid-range their sheer horsepower is fine; as far as driver support goes I just upgraded two months ago from an ancient Radeon 290x to a Nvidia 1080ti and never had issues with driver support on games. *shrugs*
yar

kingv

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »

I was the same about a year ago even. I decided to trade up to pro and an X instead.

The GPU industry is in a really sorry state for what I would call “enthusiast mainstream”, I.e. people that want a fast’ish card at a decent value.

Like you 300 today basically gets you 10-20% higher performance with more VRAM from a $300 card from like 4-5 years ago. It’s Moore’s cumstain.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2018, 01:13:15 PM »
Yep, your best bet right now is an Xbox One X.
I keep getting surprised by how great a kit of hardware it is. Even with that terrible notebook CPU on board.
🤴

kingv

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2018, 02:26:53 PM »
I can feel the netbook cpu sometimes. Where it’s the most noticeable to me is Roblox (my kid loves it).

It runs a lot faster on My PC, even though it’s a 970 with a 4 year old i5 and has less RAM.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #86 on: November 18, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
Amazon is selling an RX 580 for 200€. Tempting. Sorely tempting. It's a Powercolour (the heatsink seems shit?) and it's a US import, so warranty might be fucky.

Hm. Hmhmhm.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2018, 10:01:57 AM »
I missed out on the 1080ti deals earlier in the year and wasn't really ready to upgrade quite yet. Just picked up RX2080 at high end of budget and only feel somewhat ripped off.

I was honestly planning on riding my 970 a bit longer as seems fine, should have splurged on CPU/MOBO as mine is kind of ancient and guessing it would bottleneck (6 yrs, 3770k).

I usually go overboard so comps last longer, kind of unsure what way to go. Ryzen 2700x seems like it's probably fine for a while, and way cheaper than 9900k...or could save a bit and go 8700k which is same socket for now as the i9, could theoretically upgrade down the road but no guarantees and I am pretty lazy.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #88 on: November 21, 2018, 02:03:20 PM »
I missed out on the 1080ti deals earlier in the year and wasn't really ready to upgrade quite yet. Just picked up RX2080 at high end of budget and only feel somewhat ripped off.

I was honestly planning on riding my 970 a bit longer as seems fine, should have splurged on CPU/MOBO as mine is kind of ancient and guessing it would bottleneck (6 yrs, 3770k).

I usually go overboard so comps last longer, kind of unsure what way to go. Ryzen 2700x seems like it's probably fine for a while, and way cheaper than 9900k...or could save a bit and go 8700k which is same socket for now as the i9, could theoretically upgrade down the road but no guarantees and I am pretty lazy.
Ryzen is a terrible CPU. My bro is working on an UE4 game and most of their time debugging is spend on users complaining about framerates on Ryzen.
Just Google Ryzen + Fortnite and even then you'll find threads detailing the fucked up framerate which is all over the place and Fortnite isn't even a demanding game.
🤴

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2018, 04:00:11 PM »
over course of day I have narrowed it down to i7 9700k or i9 9900k. It seems like not many people air cool any more, and no one is recommending it for the i9 as while its a beast it's an unoptimized POS that runs hot. liquid cooling has gotten a lot easier than the old days but it wasn't really in budget. It would make it look way better though...hmm.

Also everything is LED and glowy these days, I am digging it.  :doge

kingv

« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2018, 04:27:38 PM »
Liquid cooling just seems like one more fucking thing to worry about. All I need is my cooler springing a leak and ruining my pc.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #91 on: November 21, 2018, 04:54:49 PM »
Get a reputable (read: cooler master or NZXT) AIO cooler if you want to water cool. I have an 8700k and air cool it and it's just fine, for the record (I haven't overclocked it, tho)
yar

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #92 on: November 21, 2018, 05:28:08 PM »
Liquid cooling just seems like one more fucking thing to worry about. All I need is my cooler springing a leak and ruining my pc.

That's what I am worried about, although seems things have come a long way since the old days (aside from the crazies that do custom units).  :lol

Still, worried about like the tubing corroding through or pump going out or some other noise.

Get a reputable (read: cooler master or NZXT) AIO cooler if you want to water cool. I have an 8700k and air cool it and it's just fine, for the record (I haven't overclocked it, tho)

I was looking at a corsair but thanks for the other suggestions, will check em.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #93 on: November 21, 2018, 06:21:28 PM »
Do share pictures of that beast when it is completed  :whew
🤴

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #94 on: November 21, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »

That's what I am worried about, although seems things have come a long way since the old days (aside from the crazies that do custom units).  :lol

Still, worried about like the tubing corroding through or pump going out or some other noise.

I was looking at a corsair but thanks for the other suggestions, will check em.

Corsair is actually fine too

yar

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #95 on: November 21, 2018, 07:44:12 PM »

Not that you were asking me, but I don't think I ever posted pics of mine, which *WAS* mostly top of the line 2 1/2 months ago :P

yar

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2018, 11:25:26 PM »
chooo. that's actually a good looking heatsink.  :playa

I ended up with a Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML360R...I am hoping all this RGB shit plays nice together or it's gonna look like a unicorn exploded.  :supergay

Tomorrow will dictate if I go for 4 sticks of glowy RAM, kind of want but I am over budget.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »

Not that you were asking me, but I don't think I ever posted pics of mine, which *WAS* mostly top of the line 2 1/2 months ago :P

(Image removed from quote.)
:whew :whoo
🤴

naff

« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2018, 08:25:21 PM »
RX Vega 64s starting to tank in the secondary market here now too :rejoice

Some nearing 1070 prices. One sold for ~450usd the other day, another for 500. 2nd hand 1070s go for ~350.
◕‿◕

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2018, 01:17:23 PM »

Round 1 done, looks pretty good and seems to work. Few mishaps with build (case dims said 360 radiator would fit. that was a LIE) but overall not too bad. Cable management sucks, talking to a friend apparently super recommended to get the custom power cables...will probably get some as need to transfer over storage HDD eventually and I have no room for it. :lol

Aside from cabling, pretty much done, although will be running 1080p for a few as went slightly over budget.  :checkit

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2018, 01:27:31 PM »
Very nice  :)
🤴

naff

« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2018, 09:37:44 PM »
disabling/removing all non power or error indication LEDs on all your electronics :rejoice
◕‿◕

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
Hi

kingv

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2019, 12:47:41 PM »