Author Topic: Cult Movie Thread (for movies too old or weird to go in the other thread)  (Read 19633 times)

team filler

• filler
  • filler
Re: Cult Movie Thread (for movies too old or weird to go in the other thread)
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2018, 08:25:32 PM »
I think I was made to watch that in school a few times. Imagine getting creamed by the whole gang  :smug

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2018, 08:27:39 PM »
Wow there’s a sequel.

Did they really force a lot of kids to gulp this shit in school when it came out? Any other Buttercreamers in here?
serge

Tasty

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2018, 10:37:16 PM »

Mega64 was once again way ahead of the curve.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2018, 10:39:04 PM »
I just watched a clip and they do indeed refer to themselves as the “buttercreamers.”

I hope the term comes from a tastefully filmed long shot circle jerk

Edit: wow that dudes full stache was made to tickle a shaft
:9

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2018, 10:56:40 PM »
I watched Cabin Boy recently. Still in love with that ocean swimming woman.
:9

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2018, 11:39:05 PM »
to me the warriors is one of the great examples of a film thats all style but still great

whole movie is dripping in sauce

Is there any movie that better portrays the darkness and grittiness of late-70s NYC?
dog

TVC15

« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2018, 01:19:11 AM »
to me the warriors is one of the great examples of a film thats all style but still great

whole movie is dripping in sauce

Is there any movie that better portrays the darkness and grittiness of late-70s NYC?

serge

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2018, 11:27:37 AM »
So Ichi the Killer got a 4K restoration, saw it at a midnight showing last night. Yes, about 15% of the audience walked out if you were wondering (jeepers, this movie is a bit much, no?). It still has a low grade look to it, but its aggresive gore doesn't seem always quite so nasty when you can clearly see the seams (sometimes actual ones) holding the effects together. Still though, I had never seen it theatrically before, and its still potent mix of very dark humor and depravity hasn't lost any of its punch. Just ask those guys who checked out before and after the refund window closed.

I'm a big Miike fan, but I haven't seen any of his older films in quite some time, I do think he's 'matured' over time. But he's also clearly mellowed out just a bit. I very much like the present day Miike, and he's absolutley a better director than the guy who made this film, but still, the audaciousness of it all is endearing, even as its repellent (on purpose tho).

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2018, 04:16:24 PM »
Wow there’s a sequel.

Did they really force a lot of kids to gulp this shit in school when it came out? Any other Buttercreamers in here?

Yep, I was also buttercreamed as a kid. :lol

Edit: I don't think I ever saw the original, I only remember seeing the one where the found some pirate treasure map or some shit.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 04:20:54 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »
Today for our podcast, we're watching and commenting on the 1980 classic Tanya's Island, which stars Vanity of Vanity 6 fame. Her characters goes to an island and apparently falls in love with some sort of ape or sasquatch.

yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2018, 02:14:52 PM »
The ape-suit was created by Rick Baker and Rob Bottin, with special effects contributions from Steve Johnson.

:gladbron
©@©™

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2018, 03:24:03 PM »
The greatest movie about degenerate gambling ever ...

Love this movie, dat Tilly  :drool

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2018, 11:54:21 PM »
I don't think you can really count it as a cult movie since it was the #2 movie at the US box office in 1997, but I put on Men in Black on Netflix and it's still great. CG effects are a bit dated now, but a lot of it really holds up. If you memory wiped everyone and released this today [with a few minor tweaks] most people wouldn't know. Well, actually people might be suspicious about the lack of overblown, CG-filled action scenes. It really is a fantastic movie, and it's a shame that the sequels ended up such a mess.
dog

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2018, 01:57:57 AM »
Final verdict on Tanya's Island: it's one of the top three weirdest things I've ever seen. But there's like, an uncomfortable amount of rape in the movie. Not that I'm sure what a comfortable amount of rape is. But this movie for sure goes beyond that. And yes: there's non-consensual sex involving Vanity and the Sasquatch.
yar

TVC15

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2018, 01:59:49 AM »
More uncomfortable rape than I Spit on Your Grave, the high water mark for too much rape in a movie?
serge

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2018, 07:51:19 AM »
I don't think you can really count it as a cult movie since it was the #2 movie at the US box office in 1997, but I put on Men in Black on Netflix and it's still great. CG effects are a bit dated now, but a lot of it really holds up. If you memory wiped everyone and released this today [with a few minor tweaks] most people wouldn't know. Well, actually people might be suspicious about the lack of overblown, CG-filled action scenes. It really is a fantastic movie, and it's a shame that the sequels ended up such a mess.

I recently re-watched this, too. It's fantastic and stuff. I really miss "fun" Will Smith. Tommy Lee Jones is always great.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2018, 07:55:14 AM »
MIB3 is actually decent and it feels like a cohesive film (though it doesn't avoid certain tired tropes).

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Daddy issues and turns out the leads were related for decades.
[close]

The second one really felt lazy and a chore.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:02:01 AM by VomKriege »
ὕβρις

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2018, 07:33:52 PM »
MIB3 is actually decent and it feels like a cohesive film (though it doesn't avoid certain tired tropes).

[close]

Well, yeah, but even within the context of the film, isn't that relationship retconned into existence? Like, literally, not just filmically?

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2018, 08:56:44 PM »
Wow there’s a sequel.

It was one of the movies we got to watch when I was homeschooled. As in we could watch it during lunchtime since it was educational.

classic film
:rejoice

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2018, 07:24:36 AM »

This is a faerie tale about two con men. I'm watching it for the 4th or 5th time tonight. It's gold. I've come to the conclusion that the only people who don't like this movie are dead inside. Or at least have no poetry in their soul.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2018, 10:01:57 AM »
More uncomfortable rape than I Spit on Your Grave, the high water mark for too much rape in a movie?

Oh no, there's more and more graphic rape in ISoYG. Although I guess if you're specifically triggered by interspecies rape then Tanya's Island could be worse for you.
yar

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2018, 11:41:17 AM »

[close]

Well, yeah, but even within the context of the film, isn't that relationship retconned into existence? Like, literally, not just filmically?

I don't remember the details except there's time travel shenanigans but

IIRC the thing is that we learn that Will Smith character was predestined to become a MiB and look up K as a father figure.
It doesn't the first film or anything but it's kind of tired and I'm irked by Chosen One tropes so it's bumming though they did a decent job with it.
[close]
ὕβρις

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2018, 12:17:48 PM »
Love this movie, dat Tilly  :drool

That's what I love about the most about the movie.

Every single bit character is awesome. Hagrid (the ticket taker), his wife (Teri Garr), the young couple in the bar, the guard, the rich gambler and his gold-digging wife, etc etc.

TVC15

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2018, 01:05:48 PM »

This is a faerie tale about two con men. I'm watching it for the 4th or 5th time tonight. It's gold. I've come to the conclusion that the only people who don't like this movie are dead inside. Or at least have no poetry in their soul.

I absolutely do not like this movie. After the back to back flopzas of Brick and this, I had little faith for TLJ.
serge

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2018, 05:17:00 PM »

powerful scene

TVC15

serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »

powerful scene

"I want you to hate me!"
"Why???"
"BECAUSE I HATE MYSELF!"

:tocry
dog

TVC15

« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2018, 07:15:03 PM »
I can relate :(
serge

Corporal

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2018, 03:56:16 AM »
Is this the thread where I admit to watching way too much Rocky Horror Picture Show as a youngster? I think this qualifies as a cult movie. Even if it's one of the more vanilla picks, I guess. Errr, not considering the contents of the movie.

Here in Munich we have a cinema that has been showing that movie (including full fan participation) for more than 40 years now, every single Friday and Saturday at 11 in the evening, from 1977 onwards. I have only been there once a decade ago or so, it was madness. Pleasant overall, but crazy. Throwing rice, dancing, singing along, waving around glow sticks (no open fire allowed, sadly). I think I should give it another go one of these days. :lol

Also, as a German, I'm contractually obliged to watch Dinner for One at least once a year. But I guess that doesn't count as "movie". :shrug
!list

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2018, 04:25:52 AM »
Is this the thread where I admit to watching way too much Rocky Horror Picture Show as a youngster? I think this qualifies as a cult movie. Even if it's one of the more vanilla picks, I guess. Errr, not considering the contents of the movie.

Here in Munich we have a cinema that has been showing that movie (including full fan participation) for more than 40 years now, every single Friday and Saturday at 11 in the evening, from 1977 onwards. I have only been there once a decade ago or so, it was madness. Pleasant overall, but crazy. Throwing rice, dancing, singing along, waving around glow sticks (no open fire allowed, sadly). I think I should give it another go one of these days. :lol

(Image removed from quote.)

Also, as a German, I'm contractually obliged to watch Dinner for One at least once a year. But I guess that doesn't count as "movie". :shrug

Chronotrivia: my first ever date, a groups of hs friends went to this movie, so I invited a girl I liked.

It is not a good first date movie for a conservative girl.

In the end, she turned born-again, and I am a GGG boy toy and phag-hag, so it clearly left its mark on us.

:-*
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:01:37 PM by chronovore »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2018, 04:26:43 AM »

I absolutely do not like this movie. After the back to back flopzas of Brick and this, I had little faith for TLJ.

Any particular reason you dislike it so much?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
TVC, we watching Hellraiser: Judgement this weekend?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hellraiser_judgment_2018

57% at Rotten Tomatoes (after 7 reviews), highest score since the original. :omg

it's a better than average Hellraiser sequel.

At the end of the dayHellraiser: Judgment, while not perfect nor as good as the classic Hellraiser films, delivers a rather striking vision that feels as new as it does familiar.

Overall, the lack of resources soak the screen, but it adds to the film's grotesque charm.

a must-rent for Hellraiser fans

The imagery is creepy and the pacing is brisk

It's a mixed bag, with the stuff I enjoyed ultimately outweighed by the stuff I did not. But it comes so close to breaking even.

conversations about Charles Dickens and alcoholism reign supreme

This sounds like the Black Panther of Hellraiser sequels. :rejoice
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #92 on: February 24, 2018, 06:58:25 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #93 on: February 24, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »

Hadn't seen this since it first came out. I've read the book twice, and had forgotten that it diverges strongly from the book in the third act. I guess they didn't have it in the budget to destroy Las Vegas. The switch-up in the plot doesn't serve the movie's story well, and it confused my brother-in-law, who is sharp as a tack. The rest of it is quite good though.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2018, 04:00:44 PM »

This movie jump started my youthful fascination with Sherilynn Fenn, more specifically her breasts.
yar

Tasty

« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2018, 04:04:18 PM »
Hellraiser is utter trash so 57%, if accurate, would be a vast improvement for the series.

TVC15

« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2018, 04:04:24 PM »

This movie jump started my youthful fascination with Sherilynn Fenn, more specifically her breasts.

I got to hug her.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #97 on: February 24, 2018, 04:10:13 PM »
someone on here was talking about mia krishner recently so i gotta track this down:

imo, canadians are really good at this sorta stuff, low stakes, goofy on paper shit that always seem to make work to a good degree

TVC15

« Reply #98 on: February 24, 2018, 04:29:08 PM »
Hellraiser is utter trash so 57%, if accurate, would be a vast improvement for the series.

It really is trash. Easily the worst of the "major" horror series. Those ones in the middle that were retooled last second to add one scene of Pinhead are the best ones in the series by far.

Two rebuttals that need little explanation.

1. Amityville - No good movies. One batshit entry that is kinda watchable.
2. Children of the Corn - No good movies. None remotely close to being worth watching.

serge

TVC15

« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2018, 04:59:28 PM »
I’m not sure I’d consider many/most Hellraiser movies slasher flicks, although I’ll give you that Pinhead has reached horror icon status.

Unfortunately, I’m not willing to rewatch all the shitty sequels to confirm that most of them aren’t slashers.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »
I still maintain the first two, especially the first, are pretty great. Three is entertaining. The MMO one is a good lolwatch. The last one, previous to the new one, is a good for a giggle for Chubby Pinhead, and iirc I think there’s a bad found footage element, although my memory may be bad and it might just be that shittily filmed. That was a quick cheapie to keep the righta.
serge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #101 on: February 24, 2018, 05:58:59 PM »
um excuse me stro

the cult movie thread is not the place to label these movies trash. we all know some of them are trash, that's not the point!
每天生气

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »
um excuse me stro

the cult movie thread is not the place to label these movies trash. we all know some of them are trash, that's not the point!

:like

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »
A house or corn aren't on the list with Freddy, Michael, Jason, Pinhead, ya know?

Ugh all those white males  :holeup

Candyman, tho  :lawd
©@©™

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2018, 09:34:07 PM »

No specifics but I remember that one to be a decent watch despite the goofy premise.
ὕβρις

TVC15

« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2018, 12:28:57 AM »
Okay, Hellraiser: Judgment time. Anyone up to sorta do a simultaneous watch?
serge

shosta

« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2018, 12:30:29 AM »
yeah let's do it :)
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2018, 12:34:57 AM »
Starting in 5 minutes-ish.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2018, 02:46:11 AM »
That was pretty bad. Probably in the top 50% of Hellraiser sequels.

It felt like it’s heart was in the right place, and despite its very low budget nature, I thought early scenes were promising. Things immediately went downhill once this became, like, a Se7en-inspired serial killer/police procedural type of thing. The screenwriter’s idea of how police/detectives work indicates that he probably hasn’t even seen an episode of Law and Order. The twist is super easy to call very early, even though there are some attempts at misdirection. This detectives aspect of the movie takes up most of the running time.

Pinhead and his cohorts, including entities from two different factions, generally speak in a properly sanctimonious and overwrought way. Their last big scene is, well, pretty dumb. I’m not sure the idea of these factions fits with the first couple movies, let alone all the shitty sequels. For one, I’m pretty sure I’ve never heard Pinhead describe himself as “evil” before.

I read that unlike many of the sequels, this was originally written as a Hellraiser movie and not a retrofitted (Cloverfielded) script. I’m . . . not sure I buy that. Pinhead barely appears and the story of the detectives eats the majority of the movie.

Still, better than Call Me By Your Name.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2018, 05:38:37 AM »
um excuse me stro

:whatsthedeal

Stro is my beau. He can shit on me all he wants. He’s a doll.
serge

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2018, 06:00:44 AM »
Re: Children of the Corn and Hellraiser.

Something they've got much in common is a shitload of crappy Weinstien-produced sequels. The 90's/00's direct-to-VHS/DVD market were chock full of these shoddily, nakedly profiteering films that traded on the name/goodwill of an earlier and more successful film. That the trend has even continued to today (well, at least just for Hellraiser I suppose)is sort of amazing. Much like the career of Steven Seagal, the amount of indifferently produced dreck now greatly outnumber the whatever it was that elevated they're profile in the first place.

Children of the Corn 4 (terrible) at least is sorta notable for having a very early leading role for a poorly accent concealing Naomi Watts.

shosta

« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2018, 06:08:15 AM »
tvc, you're always sucking up to everyone except the one person who loves you (me)
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2018, 09:20:53 PM »
tvc, you're always sucking up to everyone except the one person who loves you (me)

I need to believe you can dominate me. Or pathetic enough for me to want to see you in agony.

Sorry you aren't getting sucked bro

I’d be doing the servicing.

Anyway, what with the retrofitted “sequels,” I guess Hellraiser was the original Cloverfield. Except better.

serge

TVC15

« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2018, 09:34:31 PM »
There is nothing remotely close to being as good as 10 Cloverfield Lane in the Hellraiser canon.

10CL is great. We’ll see if I still think it’s a classic in a few years. I’m not sure I’d put it on the same level as The first Hellraiser just yet.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: February 25, 2018, 09:35:51 PM »
I thought the real twist of the movie

wasn't that the cop was also the Preceptor, but that the Preceptor's murders were sanctioned by God to spread fear.
[close]

Like you said, it doesn't exactly fit in with the established Hellraiser mythology, but lol established Hellraiser mythology. Clive Barker already shit all over that his own self, so whatever.

The writer/director/star of the movie is a SFX guy, and it definitely shows. It feels like the guy came up with a couple of cool scenes that he knew he could film on minuscule budget, and then wrote a movie around them. Still basically better than any other Hellraiser DTV sequel based on that alone.

I give this movie out of 5
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #115 on: February 25, 2018, 09:51:25 PM »
There is nothing remotely close to being as good as 10 Cloverfield Lane in the Hellraiser canon.

10CL is great. We’ll see if I still think it’s a classic in a few years. I’m not sure I’d put it on the same level as The first Hellraiser just yet.

:donot

I know you're a deviant and probably have a very specific fetish for being ripped apart by demons while a pasty Englishman talks overwrought trash in Shakespearean prose, but Hellraiser 1 is fucking trash.

The horribly overwrought dialogue is one of my favorite things about the movie.

10CL, for me, I really hate the ending and it’s the first thing I think of when the movie comes to mind.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #116 on: February 25, 2018, 10:16:16 PM »
Btw my favorite cult movie is Hudson Hawk.

You could be swinging on a star

:smug

Jesus, dude. Maybe I don’t want you to hellraise my asshole.
serge

shosta

« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2018, 12:30:48 AM »
I need to believe you can dominate me. Or pathetic enough for me to want to see you in agony.
How about the fact that I didn't actually watch the hellraiser movie and you were alone the whole time? That dominating enough?
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2018, 12:37:38 AM »
How about the fact that I didn't actually watch the hellraiser movie and you were alone the whole time? That dominating enough?

That just makes me think less of you :( I reloaded several times during the movie to see if you commented on something :( I was counting on you. I don’t know if I can trust you now.
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2018, 12:39:54 AM »
next time watch with me, bb