Author Topic: Cult Movie Thread (for movies too old or weird to go in the other thread)  (Read 20226 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
The other movie thread makes me uncomfortable, because all the normies are talking about The Post or Thor 3. Less Thor, more Yor.

I watched this with Reb Brown's audio commentary. It wasn't particularly insightful, mostly just Reb chuckling at things on-screen or talking about how cold it was, but he's a likable guy and he still seems to enjoy the movie. He talks about how he enjoys meeting Yor fans at cons, and signing autographs "Yor's Truly"  :heart

I also watched The Godmonster of Indian Flats on Amazon Prime, what a magical film. The titular godmonster only really does anything in the last 5 minutes of the movie, the rest of it is small town politics, old west cosplay, a black guy nearly getting lynched, a full-fledged church funeral for a dog, an immaculate sheep birth (you might call it "the lamb of God" woaaaaaah religious symbolism :doge ) a mad scientist, and a mayor laughing manically while yelling "RUN THEM DOWN! KILL THEM! MAKE THEM PAY! MAKE THEM ALL PAY!"
©@©™

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
Is this a cult movie? I watch it like every year.

每天生气

Tasty

Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead is a classic.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Is this where I discuss Hentai Kamen I & II?

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Is this where I discuss Hentai Kamen I & II?

Absolutely  :marimo
©@©™

Tasty

I just watched Human Traffick last night. Good-ass movie.

Kurt Russell

woke

Tuckers Law

Just want to say this threads an awesome idea and convinced me I shouldn't just lurk these forums.

Blood and Donuts is a movie I saw on late night television years ago, and from the first minute I could not stop watching, it was so weird!  It's basically about a vampire who won't kill humans, and got pissed off when we landed on the moon so he self-exiled for a couple decades by sleeping in a large duffel bag.

It's all available to watch on YouTube, which is good since it seems impossible to find a new DVD of it anywhere.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

female robocop spin-offs an underrated genre sub-genre

Tuckers Law

female robocop spin-offs an underrated genre sub-genre
Amazing, it even has Richard Grieco, so you know it's quality.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
Re: Cult Movie Thread (for movies too old or weird to go in the other thread)
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 02:20:57 PM »
I watched nudemacuser approved Delirium on Amazon Prime. Can confirm that it has lots of 80's boobs. Unfortunately, even though Serena Grandi is hot as hell, they couldn't even be bothered to dub in a decent scream for her, so I will have to deduct points for that. 8.8/10
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:25:09 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 02:38:23 PM »

Tokyo Tribe gets delisted off of American Netflix at the end of the month, there's still time to watch the greatest Japanese rap, battles movie of all time.

Its gaudy enough to satisfy Trump (blinged guns, chandilier headlights), has tons of juvenile humor, gratuitious nudity and martial arts, and mostly lousy hip-hop. I kinda loved this film. The villian's master plan is so stupid its amazing. Like many other films by Sion Sono, its ostentatious and self-indulgent on purpose, god bless him for it.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 04:09:40 PM »
We watched this for bad movie night like a decade ago and it’s better than most of the best picture nominees this year. Unfortunately I can’t find anything on Youtube about it.

Kracker Jack’d
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0445025/

Description: “A whiteboy gets mudholed & plots revenge on the brothas at a house party in the Dirty South!”

A murdered dude gets a blow job from a chickenhead so good that it brings him back to life. It makes that staring into the fireplace bit from Call Me by Your Name look like a pile of puke and piss. Must see. Find it.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 04:19:08 PM »

albert pyun is an awful awful filmmaker but I'll be damned if certain shots from this and Nemesis don't flash in front of my head/eyes at randoms times to this day.

Don't let your kids watch trash, it will never leave them brehs. Hard to get Van Damme holding his family over a well by barbwire barehanded out of your head when you're like 6 lol.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 07:24:16 PM »
We watched this for bad movie night like a decade ago and it’s better than most of the best picture nominees this year. Unfortunately I can’t find anything on Youtube about it.

Kracker Jack’d
http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0445025/

Description: “A whiteboy gets mudholed & plots revenge on the brothas at a house party in the Dirty South!”

A murdered dude gets a blow job from a chickenhead so good that it brings him back to life. It makes that staring into the fireplace bit from Call Me by Your Name look like a pile of puke and piss. Must see. Find it.

I googled this and one of the top hits was a thread on Stormfront with wypipo getting mad that this movie was allowed in Blockbuster and demanding that Mel Gibson fund a Turner Diaries movie. :lol
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 07:27:11 PM »

:rejoice

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 07:33:49 PM »
I unironically and unapologetically love The Last Starfighter.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 07:42:24 PM »
Dagon flubs its second half by tossing out the mystery and suspense in favor of gore, but it's still a pretty decent movie overall. One of the best Lovecraft adaptations.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:50:03 PM by Great Rumbler »
dog

TVC15

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »
Kracker Jack’d is also like camcorder quality. Really, I want someone here to see it so I’m not alone.
serge

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
I watched Next of Kin, whose plot can be summed up thusly: "Only Dalton from Roadhouse and Qui-Gon Jin along with an army of hillbillies can get vengeance for their dead brother Hudson from Aliens and fight back against Papa John's Mafia, led by Derek Zoolander and The Man They Call Jayne."

Also, Helen Hunt is in it.
yar

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 07:54:10 PM »
Also, if you've never seen it, I can't recommend Hard Ticket to Hawaii enough.

Not only does it have the actual line of dialog "Let's get in the jacuzzi, I do my best thinking in there" from one soon to be topless playmate to another, it has...

A "contaminated" snake exploding out of a toilet

A man being killed with a razor frisbee

And the single greatest action sequence ever committed to film or video or whatever

yar

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 07:57:47 PM »
Also, if you've never seen it, I can't recommend Hard Ticket to Hawaii enough.

I bought the Guns, Girls, and G-Strings: Andy Sidaris Collection on DVD years ago. Best $5 you can spend. :lawd

©@©™

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 05:47:55 AM »
Two things about Dagon.

#1 I'm convinced that Resident Evil 4 took a shitload of inspiration from it. A guy who's a dead ringer for the Shopkeeper can even be briefly glimpsed at one point.

#2 ... (spoilers for Dagon, Shadow Over Insmouth, and The Shape of Water)
spoiler (click to show/hide)
is the ending for The Shape of Water Del Toro's most blatent Lovecraft reference ever? I would say so. I'm not being critical, but as soon as I saw the 'scars' on the protagionist I knew where things would eventually head. Knowing Del Toro this must be a delberate homage.
[close]

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 06:50:05 AM »
People into horror should check out Dagon. It's a surprisingly great The Shadow Over Innsmouth adaptation. Rumbler or Joe turned me on to it a year or two back.

Yuzna produced, Gordon directed, guaranteed cheesy gold:

Is this a cult movie? I watch it like every year.

(Image removed from quote.)

That movie is awesome. Has the loveliest, simple, wonderful philosophical treasure there, right in Danny Aiello's lines.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 07:06:31 AM »
Thread reminds me I should dig out my copy of Class of 1984.

Not sure if it's right for this thread but has anyone seen Brittania Hospital?

shosta

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 04:31:20 AM »
I love recommendations so I watched this tonight. Had a blast. Great satire, even if I'm not British and can't appreciate it fully. Seeing Mark Hamill was a nice surpise. Favorite scene was definitely the union negotiation after a surge of victims came in. The resolution of the lunch strike was good, too. The escalation of all these conflicts in the last third of the film was great. What a ride.
每天生气

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »

This production is by Danny Elfman's brother, Richard Elfman. He hired Danny's band when it was called "Mystic Knights of the Oingo Boingo, and was more about cabaret than ska/new-wave. It has problematic elements in the current era, but it's a hypnotic, dreamlike movie that I've enjoyed for many years.

TVC15

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 09:08:37 PM »
Forbidden Zone is a treasure and you’d have to be a Resetera tool to find its “problematic” elements problematic.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 09:13:21 PM »
I don’t even like Oingo Boingo or Elfman that much outside of the movie. It’s just a really well done weirdo movie.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 09:31:50 PM »
The first time I saw Forbidden Zone was at 2am on a worn out VHS while I was procrastinating finishing a paper that was due at 8. I was only gonna watch a few minutes of it, but then I was like woah fuck that paper, this shit is wild.
©@©™

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 12:06:48 AM »
Forbidden Zone is a treasure and you’d have to be a Resetera tool to find its “problematic” elements problematic.

Enh, there's some minstrel stuff in there, plenty of pseudo-antisemetic jokes, even if you leave aside the social-studies-warrior concerns about cultural appropriation of a ginger performing Minnie the Moocher, kidnapping, rape, objectification of women, zero positive female roles, failing the Bechdel Test, etc.

tl;dr — yes, it's a fucking treasure.

TVC15

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2018, 12:14:35 AM »

Enh, there's some minstrel stuff in there, plenty of pseudo-antisemetic jokes, even if you leave aside the social-studies-warrior concerns about cultural appropriation of a ginger performing Minnie the Moocher, kidnapping, rape, objectification of women, zero positive female roles, failing the Bechdel Test, etc.

But a lot of the problematic stuff is fine since it’s stylistically riffing on 30s cartoons, a la Cuphead (which is definitely problematic by Resetti standards), and it was never intended for mass audiences that would poo poo this sort of thing. It needs to be viewed in the context of cults 70s shit like th best John Waters flicks.

And PLEASE someone start a discussion on Resetera about how problematic John Waters movies are. I would die. I would send a link to the thread to John Waters and he would love it.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2018, 12:27:41 AM »
This is the best possible way to spend 4 minutes and 11 seconds.

serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2018, 02:07:56 AM »

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2018, 02:16:39 AM »

TVC15

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2018, 02:20:36 AM »

A late night Sci-fi Channel favorite.
serge

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2018, 03:00:48 AM »
Freaked Trailer
I like that very silly movie a great deal. This was also our first clue that Keanu was a total mensch, as he has a substantial uncredited (so not to outshine Alex Winter's only starring vehicle) supporting role.

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2018, 03:03:38 AM »
That's the full movie, not a trailer. You stupid fucking bitch

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2018, 03:04:34 AM »

A late night Sci-fi Channel favorite.
there is a light and it never goes out
5 months ago
I'd be scared to teach a bunch of 25 year old seniors too.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2018, 04:39:52 AM »
Thread reminds me I should dig out my copy of Class of 1984.

Go straight to the sequel with cyborg-teachers like Pam Grier.
ὕβρις

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 09:31:43 AM »

But a lot of the problematic stuff is fine since it’s stylistically riffing on 30s cartoons, a la Cuphead (which is definitely problematic by Resetti standards), and it was never intended for mass audiences that would poo poo this sort of thing. It needs to be viewed in the context of cults 70s shit like th best John Waters flicks.

And PLEASE someone start a discussion on Resetera about how problematic John Waters movies are. I would die. I would send a link to the thread to John Waters and he would love it.

Here's your chance for a double triggering, someone just needs to make a thread about this RLM review of Pink Flamingos.

©@©™

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2018, 02:21:15 PM »
The greatest movie about degenerate gambling ever ...

HyperZoneWasAwesome

• HastilyChosenUsername
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2018, 01:37:55 AM »
Posted here instead of the sticked thread because Scorched Earth is essentially an accidental throwback to the VHS era of cheap, crappy movies that attempt to ride the coattails of 'real' films. Its grubby, visibly cheap, action poor, and extremely derivitive(it practically writes its own MST3K episode, in another era it would be). I found it a fascinating watch all the same. I actually (humble brag) saw it theatrically today, at a seemingly not well attended, not exactly top of the line theater in a distant suburb of St. Paul, one of only ten theaters doing so on the whole continent. Of course it screened to an audience of one. Its aestethic screams 'Canadian Backlot' or 'SyFy Channel Original Film', and you dont often get the chance to see that kind of film on a big screen.

I actually like Gina Carano, yes, as an actor. Yeah, her dialog is terrible (everyone's is), but she's winningly sincere in material that doesn't deserve it, and she aint worse than Seagal, Norris, or early to cocaine era Van Damme. Shame that this is seemingly the best vehicle she can get right now. Oh well, at least its better than the latter day Seagal movies (aint that faint praise).

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2018, 01:51:59 AM »

melinda clark

:noah

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2018, 03:35:23 AM »

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2018, 03:57:11 AM »

melinda clark

:noah

Japanese VHS covers for that movie were disturbingly erotic.  :doge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2018, 10:39:20 AM »
This movie's not good, but like what if it is?

Nintendo levels of Whimsy :noah
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2018, 09:37:38 PM »

Kurt Russell

« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2018, 06:13:32 AM »
Cinemageddon's movie of the month is The Baby Juice Express.

A middle class London lad’s gangster fantasies go awry when his dodgy uncle puts them into debt to a real life crime boss. Still pulling strings from behind bars, the kingpin’s only desire is to conceive an heir by smuggling his sperm to his wife on the outside. There’s only one way the boys know how to raise the money fast... hijack the ‘baby juice express’. But kidnapping ‘baby juice’ turns out to be fraught with even more peril than the bumbling wannabes could possibly have imagined in this cheeky spin on the gangster genre.

woke

shosta

« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2018, 06:27:13 AM »
Going to rewatch this soon.

每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2018, 02:41:43 PM »
Going to rewatch this soon.

(Image removed from quote.)

Made by the same dude that directed this classic. This is so bad it’s good quality, so watch plz.

(also features Dennis Hopper)
serge

Tasty

« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
How have I never heard of that before, holy shit. :lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2018, 03:03:15 PM »
truly retched piece of cinema the guy who played tank in the matrix but didn't do the sequels because he wanted too much money is also in it

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »
I watched The Warriors on Hulu last night, and it was the theatrical cut without all the goofy comic book crap. When the Paramount logo fades out and it goes straight to the Wonder Wheel...  :lawd :lawd
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2018, 04:28:03 PM »
I watched The Warriors on Hulu last night, and it was the theatrical cut without all the goofy comic book crap. When the Paramount logo fades out and it goes straight to the Wonder Wheel...  :lawd :lawd

I so love this movie. I remember being so shocked and hyped when the PS2 game was announced. Such a random game to make.
serge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2018, 05:28:15 PM »
to me the warriors is one of the great examples of a film thats all style but still great

whole movie is dripping in sauce

Phoenix Dark

• I got no game it's just some bitches understand my story
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »

TVC15

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2018, 07:55:58 PM »

This looks like the least heterosexual movie of all time, dude.
serge

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2018, 07:58:03 PM »
nothing gay about getting buttcreamed every now and then
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:42:38 PM by filler »

TVC15

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2018, 08:04:29 PM »
I just watched a clip and they do indeed refer to themselves as the “buttercreamers.”
serge