Author Topic: a remastered shadow of a colossus  (Read 3377 times)

paprikastaude

a remastered shadow of a colossus
« on: January 30, 2018, 08:52:24 AM »
So this is now coming out apparently.

I guess I might give this another chance in hopes of the controls/camera being adequate enough this time.

kingv

Re: a remastered shadow of a colossus
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 09:13:07 AM »
I loved it in 2005, but tried to play the remaster on ps3 and don’t think it has aged all that well. It just played sort of poorly. I wonder how much they reworked it for ps4.

I remember the ending sequence being awesome... and the frame rate terrible.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 09:15:02 AM »
They reworked the controls (but offer a classic option as well). It's also rock solid 60fps according to DF.

paprikastaude

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 09:22:56 AM »
They reworked the controls (but offer a classic option as well). It's also rock solid 60fps according to DF.

according to that review only on those expensive PS4s though.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 09:57:15 AM »
Ah. That's a shame.

kingv

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 11:14:44 AM »
I basically agree. It’s a game I really liked at the time, but don’t feel like it’s good enough to care about replaying.

And so many games have done big bosses now... and oftentimes better.

If I can’t drop kick a collossus through the moon after kicking it straight in the vagina with a demon foot made out of hair while dressed as princess peach, I don’t even get out of be anymore.

BobFromPikeCreek

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 11:18:35 AM »
As far as I remember the grip mechanic was fucked in the PS3 version because it wasn't adjusted to compensate for the bump in FPS. Wonder if they fixed that for this release.
zzzzz

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 11:30:04 AM »
They remade the game in their own engine, so presumably yes.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 12:27:57 PM »
dont see the appeal to this slog of a game
fat

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 12:40:42 PM »
Ugh easy allies
What

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 03:15:32 PM »
This is a remake, not a remaster OP.

you will feel ashamed of your words & deeds.

Bebpo

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 03:45:43 PM »
Yeah, this looks amazing. SoTC is like top10 games of all time for me and because it's super short & always awesome I don't mind replaying it every few years (you can beat it in like 1-2 sessions). I never replay games, but I went through it again on the PS3 remaster and will be glad to run through this one more time over a weekend with crazy modern graphics!

They picked a really good game to put this effort into too. I'm having a hard time thinking of another game that would still hold up incredibly well in 2018 with just a modern visual facelift. The minimalist approach to SoTC helps it stand the test of time imo. Less stuff to feel dated.

dont see the appeal to this slog of a game

:doge

Eh, not every game is for everyone.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 04:58:55 PM »
Only good Team Ico game!

Bebpo

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 05:13:40 PM »
I like Ico, but SoTC is better.

TLG...yeah  :-\

Let's Cyber

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
TLG...yeah!  :heart :heartbeat :heart :heartbeat
Fixed
spoiler (click to show/hide)
even though framerate is all over the place. Still a good game.
[close]

kingv

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2018, 09:32:41 PM »
only good thing about TLG is you can rub the luck dragon's asshole.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2018, 10:07:52 PM »
LUL

fat

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2018, 11:39:39 AM »
Only good Team Ico game!
I never thought I'd say the word, "Rax ain't wrong fellas"
que

fistfulofmetal

• RAPTOR
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2018, 11:45:44 AM »
seems like they did a lot of work gussying up the graphics but didn't spent a lot of time paying attention to the fine details in the original game so it ended up looking like more artificial
nat

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »
I loved it when it came out but was given the remaster for Xmas a few years back and played for all of 5 mins. Hopefully this one can give same feels as we had playing the first time to a new generation of people yet to play. Pretty sure I will get it on super sale  as I could see myself playing through this with my nephew or something.

Bebpo

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 01:42:34 AM »
Got this and did first 3 collosi, game is fucking amazing...oh, wait it's always been amazing ;)

Looks really nice, did first 2 collosi in 30fps cinematic mode and #3 in 60fps performance mode. Not a fan of how the game looks at 60fps, feels too much like a game vs cinematic piece of art. Sticking to 30fps all the way though I guess it'd be interesting to do 2 playthroughs, one in 30fps, one in 60fps to 2 very different experiences.

Anyhow, music sounds fucking stellar at 5.1, graphics/textures look great everywhere...

...but at the end of the day outside the coat of paint this is the exact same game as the PS2. I feel like I could play it in my sleep. There's nothing new unless you count staring at some pretty grass or cliff textures new. I mean I'm enjoying it because I could play SoTC PS2 any day of the week and still enjoy blowing through it, and it's nice that it exists for people who grew up after the PS2 era and/or new played the original. If I ever want to replay the game years from now not sure if I'd play this version or the PS3 remaster for the original art. Probably flip a coin or play both. It's no twin snakes bullshit where you wanna stick to the original necessarily.

Anyhow,  you probably know whether you want to play SoTC again, or for the first time at this point, so there it is.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 12:38:39 PM »
fat

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 12:41:18 PM »
That's gonna ruin a lot of Time Attack runs. Lots of boosting tricks rely on momentum.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 07:35:40 PM by Rufus »

Bebpo

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 07:26:53 PM »
"remaster" btw

https://twitter.com/NasterHH/status/961204176427634688

You already said you don't like SoTC, not sure what your point is. Yeah there's some glitches here and there apparently. Most games have some glitches. Plus Bluepoint will probably actually fix stuff like that since they seem to take pride in their work.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2018, 05:36:05 AM »
I don't have a 4K set but my buddy let me play a little at his place. This looks so good in 4k with HDR.

:lawd
That's gonna ruin a lot of Time Attack runs. Lots of boosting tricks rely on momentum.
The physics don't feel that much different. I could be wrong but it certainly feels like there is some original code in there somewhere.

Bebpo

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 02:57:09 PM »
I was wondering why the opening sounded face meltingly awesome. Thought it was just 5.1 sound at higher quality audio files.

Actually turns out the opening track and ending track are all new recordings with a full orchestra to create more epic and richer sound versions. No wonder the OP sounded incredible in game. The rest still sounds great because the OST is top notch.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 03:20:12 PM »
Maybe it's just my sound system, but I think the audio mixing sounds pretty bad. The music is so low in-game, I can hardly hear it.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 08:56:04 AM »
It's been nearly 13 years since the original came out and Ico is still the superior game.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »
I'd rather have a remastered Shadows of the Damned instead. A game about dick jokes and has a section where you walk over a giant naked woman'll surely do well in these modern times.

a slime appears

• retro king
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 09:07:55 AM »
It's been nearly 13 years since the original came out and it's still the only good Ueda game.

FTFY.

:snoop

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I do like SotC a lot though. The Last Guardian is complete and utter shit however.
[close]

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2018, 02:39:05 PM »
I own the ps2 version, ps3 HD version, and now the PS4 remake

Eventually playing this is on my to-do list
dur

Bebpo

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2018, 11:53:35 PM »
I have no idea how Bluepoint went from re-rendering PS2 games, to adding a few Gravity Rush 2-esque textures/models back into Gravity Rush 1, to suddenly making one of the best looking games on PS4. Sometimes running around the world I'm like goddamn this looks as good as God of War 4 probably gonna look.

Like they've always been a great talented bunch, but this is a graphical showcase. Team must have grown a lot over the years and props to Sony for bankrolling them on this.

paprikastaude

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2018, 09:40:30 AM »
I bit when I saw the remake for 20 bucks a few days ago. So far I gotta say I'm having much more fun than with the first remaster. The controls feel much more natural and responsive. It still has the annoying habit of the camera re-centering itself, but even that I feel isn't quite as stubborn as before. Finally I can join the hype train for this game  :rejoice