Author Topic: Link to the Past: The Witcher 3  (Read 15314 times)

Coax

Re: Link to the Past: The Witcher 3
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2018, 01:39:52 PM »

Think I ultimately enjoyed it more than HoS though I did love No Man's Land for its vibe. Should be interesting hearing impressions :)

Svejk

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »
https://twitter.com/witchergame/status/973937807373819907

:thinking
Fuckin wut   :mouf

Edit:  more like fuckin duh... forgot about Soul Calibur 6  :doge
spoiler (click to show/hide)
:goty2
[close]
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:22:11 PM by Svejk »

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2018, 10:50:35 PM »
Yeah, apparently that's a thing. Though I'm pretty sure they said they're not working on anything Witcher related right now, so the best we'd get besides that is a Switch port or something

Anyway. Started Blood and Wine and I'm really liking it so far. Expected it to be similar to Hearts of Stone but got an entirely new area and a dozen new quests. Plot's fun so far, I really like the Duchess and Geralt running around after the gold fish and the unicorn had me in tears

This is place is so pretty too, I love it already.

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2018, 11:08:31 PM »
This quest with the statue :dead

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2018, 09:47:30 AM »
ど助平

Coax

« Reply #126 on: March 15, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »
Finally we get good combat :doge

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #127 on: March 15, 2018, 05:52:37 PM »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2018, 06:51:08 PM »

Witcher is getting a Nenodroid figure
:uguu
ど助平

« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2018, 02:27:46 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Witcher is getting a Nenodroid figure
:uguu

When's Ciri?

« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2018, 06:30:45 PM »
Finished Blood and Wine. This was my favorite part from the game

I think I ran around Toussaint exploring more than I did the entire rest of the game. Honestly love this place, in no small part due to how good it looks

Anarietta and Regis quickly joined my favorite characters too. And I love vampire drama so this expansion was entertaining through and through (except for maybe the Unseen Elder quest, which wasn't nearly as fun as the other option). Even the issues I had with the regular game seemed to not matter as much here

Also, that soundtrack

Overall, the entire thing is just amazing

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2018, 07:25:45 PM »
Finished Blood and Wine. This was my favorite part from the game

I think I ran around Toussaint exploring more than I did the entire rest of the game. Honestly love this place, in no small part due to how good it looks

Anarietta and Regis quickly joined my favorite characters too. And I love vampire drama so this expansion was entertaining through and through (except for maybe the Unseen Elder quest, which wasn't nearly as fun as the other option). Even the issues I had with the regular game seemed to not matter as much here

Also, that soundtrack

Overall, the entire thing is just amazing

Regis is the best character in the books, bar none. So the fact that CDProject Red
revived him despite him being melted into Goo protecting Yennifer and Geralt when the big-bad sorcerer on the final assault of a tower to protect Ciri happened
[close]
did that made me extremely happy. I didn't like the Vampire look (not a fan of the Buffy-style), but the final battle was extremely nice. Especially given that
Rigis sides with Geralt when Geralt says "I'm not going to protect him over the city, sorry." Which basically makes Rigis exiled in the Vampire community and hunted
[close]
. If there's a Witcher 4, I hope we get some closure on that through Ciri.

Svejk

« Reply #132 on: March 21, 2018, 08:16:42 PM »
Retiring at my decked out vineyard with Yennifer at my side, ending the game this way couldn't have been more sublime. 
 :delicious

Not sure why,  but i loved the Repunzel bit.  Lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #133 on: March 21, 2018, 09:13:09 PM »
I didn't do that quest until my second run of the ending missions. I loved how CD Project fit the Witcher universe by corrupting that fairy-tale land. The Little Matchbox Girl selling cigarettes. :lol :lol :lol

« Reply #134 on: March 21, 2018, 10:18:00 PM »
Geralt blowing the Three Little Pig's house with Aard and joking about it :dead

Good thing I was pissing myself laughing in that quest too, otherwise I wouldn't have gone after the Match Girl before completing it and would've missed the best ending

Regis is the best character in the books, bar none. So the fact that CDProject Red
revived him despite him being melted into Goo protecting Yennifer and Geralt when the big-bad sorcerer on the final assault of a tower to protect Ciri happened
[close]
did that made me extremely happy. I didn't like the Vampire look (not a fan of the Buffy-style), but the final battle was extremely nice. Especially given that
Rigis sides with Geralt when Geralt says "I'm not going to protect him over the city, sorry." Which basically makes Rigis exiled in the Vampire community and hunted
[close]

I'll be honest, when I started this I planned on playing this game and getting on with it, but I really feel like getting to the books and the other two games now

But yeah, hopefully there'll be a follow up in some way. Wasn't there a TV show being worked on or something?

Svejk

« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2018, 10:51:41 PM »
Yeah, Nutflix is making a live action series.. fingers crossed like a mofo that it'll be good.

thisismyusername

« Reply #136 on: March 27, 2018, 11:08:06 PM »
Geralt blowing the Three Little Pig's house with Aard and joking about it :dead

Good thing I was pissing myself laughing in that quest too, otherwise I wouldn't have gone after the Match Girl before completing it and would've missed the best ending

[close]
[close]

I'll be honest, when I started this I planned on playing this game and getting on with it, but I really feel like getting to the books and the other two games now

But yeah, hopefully there'll be a follow up in some way. Wasn't there a TV show being worked on or something?

TV show will probably be shit like the Polish movie. So far CD Project is the only one that seems to get Sapkowitz's style/world, despite how much of a crying bitch he is over how the game series eclipsed his novels.

Do read the novels if you're enjoying the world, they're decent (and basically the first part of the whole Ciri arc, outside the two short-story collections).

The first game's aged like milk, though. YMMV and I slogged through it, but the combat/etc. is dated, mostly because of the Bioware/Auora engine.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #137 on: March 27, 2018, 11:13:14 PM »
The Witcher 1 does some pretty good things with worldbuilding, quests, and characters, but the graphics and gameplay were pretty meh [at best] even back when it first came out.
dog

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2018, 11:17:29 AM »
©ZH

etiolate

« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
bless her

thisismyusername

« Reply #140 on: April 03, 2018, 10:38:59 AM »
I’m partway into the novels. They’re awesome.

Sapkowski’s world building shits on most fantasy authors from great heights.

I'm not sure if you're trolling but  :foodcourt I mean I enjoy the novels. But I dunno if I'd put them on the level of Tolkien.

Raist

« Reply #141 on: April 03, 2018, 01:55:53 PM »
The Witcher is a 100% rip off of Elric. Minus the whole royalty thing.

Elric is totes a ripoff of Turin Turambar tho
[close]

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #142 on: April 03, 2018, 02:50:07 PM »
Is there an Elric game? :hyper
©ZH

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #143 on: April 03, 2018, 04:59:30 PM »
As far as Elric rip offs go, I'll take Geralt over Drizzt any day.

What about Raistlin, though?
dog

Raist

« Reply #144 on: April 04, 2018, 01:02:14 AM »
As far as Elric rip offs go, I'll take Geralt over Drizzt any day.

What about Raistlin, though?

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #145 on: April 04, 2018, 11:10:54 PM »

thisismyusername

« Reply #146 on: April 05, 2018, 12:12:03 AM »
Ok, I can agree with that.

@Toku:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 12:16:55 AM by thisismyusername »

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #147 on: April 05, 2018, 09:44:57 PM »
Fuck yeah my waiting finally paid off and the complete edition is $20 on Xbox

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #148 on: April 05, 2018, 11:12:28 PM »
Amazing game. You enjoy it Catscatscats. Bless up.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #149 on: April 08, 2018, 11:36:31 AM »
Game is lit so far. Kinda finding durability annoying tho

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2018, 11:50:14 AM »
I’m playing on story and sword, which seems fine, I’ve managed to get myself killed a few times picking fights I probably shouldn’t’ve :lol

About to start the bloody baron quest, hope y’all didn’t over hype it

thisismyusername

« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2018, 11:51:10 AM »
Game is lit so far. Kinda finding durability annoying tho

It's not *that* bad. Swords can last a pretty good while before the damage debuff, which if you're not playing Deathmarch! should be easy to clean up. (If playing Deathmarch do a ton of Gwent)

Svejk

« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2018, 01:04:56 PM »

About to start the bloody baron quest, hope y’all didn’t over hype it
Take your time with it and don't be afraid to vear off to side quests too in the process. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
Yeah I actually ended up doing towerful of mice, this game is so good. I don’t think I’ve played anything with such great story telling

kingv

« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2018, 02:10:24 PM »
Yeah, even a few years later several of the quests are pretty vivid to me.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2018, 03:34:12 PM »
Just realized bombs replenish, game changing :lol

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2018, 11:58:26 PM »
Honestly, if you've played something like any Souls game (including Demon's) even for just 5mins I don't get how you could think that TW3's combat gameplay is anything else than a hot pond of steamy liquid shit. To put it mildly.

The COMBAT could be considered shitty, GAMEPLAY encompasses a lot more than combat.

The entire Souls franchise is built solely around combat, and honestly? Souls combat isn't nearly good or in depth enough to make up for how fucking shallow everything else is.

The only game in the franchise that has fun mage builds also gets shit on exponentially. The entire Souls franchise feels like Mosuo games.

lmao i've never seen souls game related to musou before (i can't stand musou games), i realise the schtick prob gets a bit tired, and the fan-base is pretentious (i have played a little Bloodborne, before that only DaSo and Demon's Souls, so it's been a  while and i can't comment on criticism of the later games); but when Souls first started being thrown around as a great game there was a lot more to why people liked it than it simply having great combat. the story is intentionally light and enigmatic - this is not a shallow decision, but one of the strongest design aspects of the game when coupled with it's clawing atmosphere. less is more in this case, and the level design allows for some of the most genuine adventure and puzzle solving found in any rpg. it was something i hadn't felt when playing a game for a long time; a few games i have had that feeling with were Ultima VII, Doom, BoFIII, getting really far in nethack, MTG, MGS,  civ II, SC2k, Syndicate Wars, CoD4, FFXII etc. but it wasn't my ignorance/inexperience, it was genuinely fresh and unique in a way no-one had been willing to risk with a modern 3d rpg (i know, king's field and shadow tower. haven't actually played 'em. i would like to play shadow tower some time). 

sorry to reply to such an old comment, it was just such a strange hot take i couldn't help myself. i agree the two games are barely comparable aside from very surface level elements. both are also almost the sole two series that have kept me mildly interested in modern RPGs, and are the pinnacle of what im looking for from their respective niches. whenever i read tru gam3rs saying X is bad because souls combat is so much better i really want to murder them in the digital realm, but i also understand the fervent love of the games.
◕‿◕

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #157 on: April 09, 2018, 01:26:14 AM »
I don’t find the combat that bad, it’s was a bit clunky to get used to but I’m pretty used to the stick and move of it already