Author Topic: Metal Gear Survive is pretty good y'all  (Read 3137 times)

213372bu

Metal Gear Survive is pretty good y'all
« on: February 26, 2018, 10:56:30 PM »
 As someone who saw the shitty reviews, never watched any gameplay besides some Dunkey/Jim Sterling clips, and was absolutely cold on this until release, I was shocked by how much I ended up liking this game as an impulse buy a few days ago.

I know some other people were on the fence here or whatever, so I thought I might do some small advocating, as this game is a bit of a surprise for being a budget title. This is probably going to sound a bit shilly/apologetic/ :doge, but I'm not sure how else to recommend a game when there's a lot of fuckery around it. I also don't know how the fuck I'm going to structure this thread, so it's probably going to be a bit messy.

Lazy Asset Flip  :zzz

Before I bought the game, something I had issues with right away was how basic and lazy the game looked. The map looked recycled, enemies were all samey and can get abused by items/environment etc. But it turns out there's more variety and new shit than I had anticipated.

The first "map" of the game looks it'd take up the entirety of your playthrough, and walking around a rocky desert with basic ass enemies looks like it's going to be a trash fire. But as I played through this section I saw that most of the copy+pasted sections of the map were actually just setups for digging sections, and that a majority of the game's map offered a lot more in terms of ruins, dungeons, and assets.

The game does a shit job of leading you into believing your time in the game is just a basic survival game, but as you go on to what you think is the "ending of the game" (depending on how thorough you are) you start seeing the horizon. After you enter your first dungeon you see a weird "bomber" enemy, thought honestly it seems a bit uninspired, it just blows up if you stand near it for an extended period of time. But upon leaving you get to see this absolutely massive creature, designed by the dude who did the Silent Hill monsters, whose massive size is enough to stretch seemingly infinitely, killing any mobs its leg steps on, (even when they are 400+ meters away.)

Moving on to Africa, the game opens up since abusing the environment becomes impossible due to the huge variety of enemies they throw at you. There's some Skull-esque enemies, drone-like bugs, spiders, a mortar-shotgun hybrid that fucks your shit up from afar, and more. All have pretty cool designs by Ito.

The traps, weapons, and survival elements of the game are insanely unique and have a meaty amount of depth. The basebuilding is great and the crew managment is a small step up from TPP.There was a clear effort into making things fun and varied. By no means did the devs sleep on any of these features.
Progression Problems

A lot of this comes at the caveat of progression. The game tutorializes you a lot, but they kind of let you fuck around too early where you can be doing basic bitch stuff for hours on end without having vital upgrades/weapons and going through missions that opens up the game's loop more.

A lot of the issues highlighted in the Dunkey/Jim videos I saw become instantly trivialized only a few missions in, and they're really quick and natural to progress through.

It really is on the game for not making as much clear, or available early on though. I guess it makes the survival elements harsh in the beginning and let's you feel some sense of big progression, but it can also totally turn people off like me who normally put off story missions until later.
Mulitplayer

Not much to say, the multiplayer here is really fun and great. There's a problem with certain players not loading into a lobby after joining, causing a missing member in a game sometimes, but it's pretty infrequent from what I've seen.

Like the other parts of the game, focusing too hard on this is meaningless when a lot of the more open/fun/varied shit comes in when you've unlocked stuff through your single player campaign, or reach certain player levels for harder missions and more open maps. You have to hit level 25, which takes a while to get to, just to progress past noob missions that don't give out much interesting besides loads of Kuban energy for leveling.
I liked MGS V, should I buy it?

This game may have some control similarities, but the gameplay loop is totally different. There's less infiltration in this game than V, and "sneaking" around enemies isn't nearly as involved. Any sneaking elements are to hide+run from enemies or for backstabbing foes. Other than that, enemies have semi-random placements, don't have an involved movement pattern etc. This game is definitely a "survival" game first, the only change to that is when you get to have at it against huge hordes after big points of base progression. Though needing to keep your life/stamina/injuries managed, the hordes serve as a "score attack" that instantly give you huge amounts of Kuban for kills.

There's a lot of "mainlining" when it comes to the controls though, and a lot of the more advanced/complex bits that made MGS:V's controls pretty much perfect become either obsolete or are removed wholesale. The game still feels pretty good though.

Should I buy it?

Honestly, even at launch price ($40) I'd say this game is worth a solid buy, wouldn't have normally wrote all this shit otherwise despite some minor complaints. It has a lot of content, even more than some meaty modern PC expansions like XCOM, and I think it provides a lot in terms of unique enemies, a fun gameplay loop, and some involved thought put into weapons and "gadgets".

I don't know, it might not sound like a huge "sell" when I bring up issues like progression, but honestly just minding that you need to do early story missions before you can fully fuck around is all you need. I've been totally into this game and pretty much everything it has to offer since I bought it a few days ago. There's a lot of clear work that was put into this game despite some budgetary constraints in cutscenes, but that's to be expected of a $40 title. From what I've heard from REEE, a sizable amount of members that worked on MGS1-V worked on this game, and while it doesn't have that Kojima attention to detail or story,  there's a lot of work put into areas of the game that normally would be half-assed or shallow.

If you still aren't sure I'd suggest renting or at least getting a copy when it goes on a sale. Otherwise, I could answer Q's y'all have as the sole dumbass to have bought this game. :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Metal Gear Survive is pretty good y'all
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 11:52:03 PM »
 :nope

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 11:54:57 PM »
Yeah fuck you lmao.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 12:08:36 AM »
I can see why the weirdness and quirkiness and harshness could be appealing, but its lacking in gameplay variety, moreso than MGS V. What MGS V made up with that lack of variety is how polished it was in every sense. AI, friendly AI, combat, sneaking, movement speed, like its fined tuned and feels excellent.

Metal Gear Survive looks like a grindy action RPG with the same skeleton but no fine tuning. I think Kojima himself wanted zombies in MGS for multiple iterations or had the desire to. Sneaking around zombies in a espionage environment would be neat.

There are better survival exploration games out there. There are better grindy RPGs out there. I can see the appeal, but its lacking in any strong structure of anything. Middling in everything it does.

OH!

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 12:10:34 AM »
I played the beta. The Fox Engine is still good, but the actual gameplay loop in co-op was pretty boring. "Be a drill bitch to get S-ranks on Normal/Hard and get better equipment to grind matrials to use/repair, rinse-repeat."

Too many subsystems and bullshit. Plus, #FucKonami. They aren't getting a dime from me anywhere.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 12:42:48 AM »
I haven't bought the game but definitely considering it. I liked the beta, I like the core MGSV controls and the horror aspects have me very interested.
Metal Gear Survive looks like a grindy action RPG with the same skeleton but no fine tuning. I think Kojima himself wanted zombies in MGS for multiple iterations or had the desire to. Sneaking around zombies in a espionage environment would be neat.
From what I've seen of the late game single player, it can be a lot more like a stealth game than the trailers put on. The playthrough I'm watching is 95% bow and sneaking kills. You get extra XP for stealth killing and extracting zombies rather than just harvesting so there is incentive to playing it like MGS and not just an action game. The late game enemies are very strong and/or fast and you're much better off moving through the overworld methodically because it only takes one screw up to get swarmed. Grinding and crazy action stuff is mostly on the multiplayer side and specific single player missions.  Maybe 213372bu could confirm or deny if that sounds accurate.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 02:09:25 AM »
Yup, better than monster hunter too
fat

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 03:50:13 AM »
Did you take the opportunity to give your character a silly Metal Gear style name? I would have named my character something stupid like Glitter Marmot or Cuck Bear or something.
WDW

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 07:33:18 AM »
Too many subsystems and bullshit. Plus, #FucKonami. They aren't getting a dime from me anywhere.

The microtransaction bullshit like having to pay for extra save slots is ridiculous.  #FucKonami continues.
ど助平

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 10:34:49 AM »
Absolutely no interest in this but the monsters look fucking sick

thisismyusername

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 10:48:20 AM »
The grind is a lot different in the main game, in fact the entire game is single player based and the MP mode is the very least of what's there.

Even the survival elements aren't too harsh after about the seventh mission, which basically just has you opening up teleporters for the map later. :doge

I dunno, the game is genuinely fun IMO and it lacks a lot of jank from other survival games. 

For $40 it comes off as a decent expansion, and not necessarily in a "decent ps2 AA game" kind of way.

I mean, I'll believe you. But the fact that you have to repair equipment, cook things, etc. is just tedious micromanaging for the sake of micromanaging. There has to be a way better way of doing a "survival" game than "grab this shit, craft this, craft that, WATCH YOUR STAMINA! WATCH YOUR THIRST!" etc.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 02:06:42 PM »
I mean, I'll believe you. But the fact that you have to repair equipment, cook things, etc. is just tedious micromanaging for the sake of micromanaging. There has to be a way better way of doing a "survival" game than "grab this shit, craft this, craft that, WATCH YOUR STAMINA! WATCH YOUR THIRST!" etc.
To be fair, this is a critique of the genre as a whole. Survival games aren't for everybody.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »
The Long Dark is the best survival game out right now. Its one of the most depressing games Ive ever played, made me question and come to terms with life and death. Something no videogame has really done.

The thought of "this is the room Im gonna die in" or "Ive made some wrong choices that cant be fixed" will pop up often. Dying in your sleep, you get the message "you haved faded into the long dark", that shit stuck hard.

Don't Starve seems very cartoony and light hearted in comparison

OH!

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 03:29:42 PM »
How much money did Konami give you for making this thread?
🍆🍆

thisismyusername

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 05:08:32 PM »
To be fair, this is a critique of the genre as a whole. Survival games aren't for everybody.

I mean, sure. But generally other survival games make it feel less tedious than Survive has tried to do. There's literally menus and menus and various things in the base menu to craft things over/with. It's just... ugh. I guess "information overload" would be the word.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 05:56:39 PM »
The number of menus looks overwhelming I agree, but I think there is a trade off. I'm playing Subnautica right now and the amount of inventory management you need to do is insane. Just keeping stuff organized is half the battle.

It looks like in MGSurvive, your materials are sent straight to your inventory when you get back to base. Having a lot of menus was the trade off for not needing to manage and store your materials yourself.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 06:31:59 PM »
Any game selling you extra character slots for $10 a pop (among other similarly insane shit) is a big fat LOL FUCK OFF in my books.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 03:54:44 AM »
Starts at 26:30, for anyone who, like me, can't take 1.5h of MEGA64 brahs rambling.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 05:35:46 PM »
Quote from: REEEEEEEEE
The PlayStation 4 version only made it as far as number 13 in the individual formats chart and accounted for 68% of all sales, a legacy of the franchise still being closely associated with the PlayStation brand. The Xbox One version only got as high as 33.

UK FIRST WEEK SALES

Survive sold 85% less copies in its debut week than Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Survive sold 5% as much as MGS5 during the same period.

STEAM

This shocking performance was pointed out by GFK Chart-Track, and analyst Daniel Ahmad. Though digital performance could be better, Metal Gear Survive hasn’t been doing well in concurrent player numbers on Steam, landing well outside the top 50, which typically reflects poor launch sales.

ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 05:39:16 PM »
Quote from: REEEEEEEEE
The PlayStation 4 version only made it as far as number 13 in the individual formats chart and accounted for 68% of all sales, a legacy of the franchise still being closely associated with the PlayStation brand. The Xbox One version only got as high as 33.

UK FIRST WEEK SALES

Survive sold 85% less copies in its debut week than Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Survive sold 5% as much as MGS5 during the same period.

STEAM

This shocking performance was pointed out by GFK Chart-Track, and analyst Daniel Ahmad. Though digital performance could be better, Metal Gear Survive hasn’t been doing well in concurrent player numbers on Steam, landing well outside the top 50, which typically reflects poor launch sales.

:miyamoto Konami.

#FucKonami

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 06:43:27 AM »
It's pretty good at sucking ass.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 03:38:08 AM »
Nice to see a good game finally on top again.
©@©™

Coax

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 10:55:45 PM »
Resurvive mod.

No fog, no music, no radio chatter, more map revealed.

also

https://gfycat.com/SlimyHospitableCony

:leon
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 11:36:54 PM by Coax »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 08:16:28 AM »
Already down to under $20 on Amazon.
ど助平

Coax

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 08:33:27 AM »
In the meantime discovered some of the filetypes used by the game.

:ryker

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 10:47:27 AM »
.\'fa-gē\?

:snob

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 11:30:56 AM »
I don't want any fago! you're the fago! I want my Moutain Dew!
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »
Official game of the Juggalos confirmed
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 05:15:17 PM »
In the meantime discovered some of the filetypes used by the game.

(Image removed from quote.)

:ryker

Now you have me curious if those file-types are used in the Phantom Pain.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2018, 09:38:44 AM »
15 bucks already  :lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2018, 10:28:32 AM »
http://variety.com/2018/gaming/news/konami-silent-metal-gear-survive-1202807407/

Steam:
>Peak players yesterday 237

Where were you when 21337 became the new Toku? :-*

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2018, 10:43:39 AM »
No its not
What

Let's Cyber

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2018, 11:48:56 AM »
I got this on sale and put about 35ish hours into it over a few weeks.

It wasn't really the open world horror game I was looking for. There were some cool moments exploring some ruins infested with spiders but things became predictable after a while. I wish they would have dropped the bosses into the overworld to just roam around. Fighting Bigmouth was fun and challenging but it was too little too late.  It also didn't have the deep home base sim elements I wanted were either. Didn't do much multiplayer once I realized how much of a grind it was. I did get some dumb MGS3 skins during and MP event.

The bow feels really good and the core gameplay from MGSV still holds up. It's a shame Konami is sitting on some good devs that are destined to waste away on retreads and trash games from now on.