Author Topic: INTO THE BREACH. from FTL peeps  (Read 2819 times)

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
INTO THE BREACH. from FTL peeps
« on: February 28, 2018, 09:11:39 AM »
http://store.steampowered.com/app/590380/Into_the_Breach/

i dunno what it's about or how to play or anything

but its from the FTL guys = autobuy

dur

Huff

Re: INTO THE BREACH. from FTL peeps
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »

dur

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
Turn based, random generated tilesets  :mouf
ὕβρις

archnemesis

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 09:18:52 AM »
I’ve only played it for 20 minutes but I’m pretty sure this will be near the top of my GOTY list.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 12:08:05 PM »
good game

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 05:36:43 PM »
Really fun. Tough as shit a lot of the time.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 07:52:25 PM »
Only have around 2 hours with it but I can already tell it's legit.

Can't wait to unlock new squads. The different ships in FTL really changed things up.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 08:19:21 PM »
could see this really taking off if they ever make a mobile version

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2018, 01:41:52 AM »
This will be great on Switch in a year.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 11:18:06 AM »
This game is really really good. When they announced it was a top down grid based strategy game, I was a little worried and curious about how removed it would feel from FTL, but there are so many similar aspects in both obvious and subtle ways. In a lot of ways it really does feel like a sequel, like they took elements from FTL and restructured them in a way that feels almost completely new, but not totally unfamiliar. Resource acquisition, progression from stage to stage, upgrades, equipment trade offs, crew skills - they're all here, and they're all similarly tied to one another the way they were in FTL, but it feels fresh.

There are a lot of little things that make the game less frustrating than FTL could occasionally be. For one quick example, each turn feels like a puzzle, and if/when you reach a turn where you can't mitigate each threat satisfactorily, you know it's a result of the actions you made in the preceding turns. Even just knowing that failure was preventable if you had thought it through a bit more is less frustrating than getting hit by an asteroid that destroys your o2 and the like.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 04:22:00 PM »
could see this really taking off if they ever make a mobile version

Yeah, I watched 30s of the video, then skipped to the end to see what platforms are planned.

I'd be there RIGHT DAMNED NOW if they had an iOS version. This kind of game is my jam.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 05:03:10 PM »
i keep abandoning timelines because I learn things the hard way on the fly lmao

last time i gave up on because i didn't think the fucking jet propulsion from the satellite launch would hurt one if my mechs and kill my star pilot but lol

i guess waypoint likes it too
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 06:06:29 PM by toku »

archnemesis

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 06:48:39 AM »
It took a few tries, but now I've finally beaten it once. I went into the final battle with a full power grid which helped a lot.

Has anyone unlocked new squads yet? Do you have any favorites? I have 8 medals to spend.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 12:44:37 AM »
I think I slightly prefer FTL over this but it's close. I only have 2 new squads unlocked so I need to get a few more before making any final judgements.

Overall this game is amazing and very addictive.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

kingv

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2018, 05:05:17 PM »
I ended up picking this up as part of the summer sale... and it’s pretty damn good.

It has that same “one more round” addictive nature as FTL. It really makes me wish there were a switch or iPad version.

I really like the rusty trombone mechs that leave electric smoke everywhere.  I also unlocked another group that uses electricity but they kind of suck.

Corporal

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »
I'm doing OK with the vanilla mechs, but the electro-fog mechs just don't want to work with me.

That said, I'm paralysed with fear that I'll do something dumb and kill off my two remaining mech pilots. So far I haven't come across any replacements, and I'm still very much not sure how the whole mech pilot permadeath mechanic works (and permadeath severely restricts my willingness to experiment and learn about the system :( ).
Related: I miss my arty pilot. RIP in pieces.

As an aside: Nudging those trihorn beetles so that they end up charging straight into a body of water is so damn addictive.
!list

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2018, 08:37:54 PM »
I got about 24 hours worth of playtime according to Steam. It's worth every penny.

kingv

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2018, 12:18:51 AM »
You only get to carry one surviving poly when you lose a round, but when you unlock a “special” pilot that has a unique perk they are always available. Just if you choose to swap over to them instead of importing from your last game, they will be unleveled.

So, IMO, the permadeath thing is not that big of a deal.

The smoke mechs are the ones I have had the most success with. Smoke cancels an alien attack, so it can be really useful.

Corporal

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 02:39:11 AM »
Daaaamn youuuuuu cloudfarting bastaaaaaarrrrrds. Once again foiled by my own electroclouds. What kinda mech poops out fog and then gets hindered by it? That's a design flaw, a design flaw!!! I demand a refund!!! I was sold a defective product!

Don't mind me, just venting. I was so close to getting a completely perfect island. SO CLOSE. Arrrrgh.

...anyway.

Thanks, kingv.
I really wish they explained the pilot aspect a bit better. The pilot system as a whole is covered rather lightly by the ingame info/tutorials. For example, there's genuinely unique pilots that you seem to encounter and permanently unlock in some fashion, and the named but randomized 'run of the mill' pilots that do not count as such (but can be brought over anyway, if you so choose). Or I'm doing something wrong. Or you need to beat the final fight with them to unlock them. Who knows. Not me, for sure.   ???
!list

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 11:25:35 AM »
hit new game
bottom left of the screen you should see "Pick Time Traveller"
If you've unlocked a few you can randomize or just pick te one you want

Corporal

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2018, 06:22:49 PM »
Thanks toku. I was just sperging out over the issue. Don't mind me.  :P

In a similar vein:
So I got to the final fight for the tenth time or so.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
But this time, things were different. You know the bomb they drop from above once your team starts whining about how they're all gonna die horribly? It hit and instakilled the biggest baddie in the room and left me to comfortably deal with the more common bugs. Awesome. Didn't even know it could do that.

...and to my own surprise I even survived that phase - and boy, did the endboss ever not materialize.

To elaborate: I was all fearful of a "super final deluxe hold onto your butts shit's serious now" fight phase where the wriggly tentacles from the walls and the ground-eating squiggles of doom merge with one of those psi bugs and you have to fight the entire room. Kinda like when the flagship in FTL goes into overdrive at the end.

Instead the phase I thought was the leadup to the big brain bug reveal was the last, and there was no big brain bug, only one big boom and a credit scroll. Awww. Kinda sad, I wanted it to go out all epic like.
[close]

Game's fun as fuck.
There's doubtlessly still a humongous amount of unlocks to be found. So content-wise I'm still at the beginning. But I feel like I've seen it all now, kind of. I even found a hidden FTL themed pilot (and about four other unique pilots). Nonetheless, like, that's it. Rest of it is rolling around in the mechanics, unlockables and hidden story snippets like a pig in filth. Oodles of fun, mind, but also a minor bummer since from now it will only be a variation of the theme.

Got to the end with the fire mech team after afew hours of casual gaming (and only with two cleared islands because I suck), and that is surprisingly quickly considering my complete lack of 1337 RTS/TBS skillz.

Obligatory complaint: I just can't handle the Steel Judoka team. And the Blitzkrieg whip mech is a miserable teamkilling bastard. Amazing damage throughput though. :lol
!list

kingv

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2018, 07:22:21 PM »
I like the judokas. It’s all about chucking Bek into the water.

The fire team and smoke team are probably my faves though. The teleported mech on the fire team is the secret mvp once you get the range upgrade. You can just teleport Bek straight into the water.

Corporal

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2018, 01:29:32 PM »
I like the judokas. It’s all about chucking Bek into the water.

The fire team and smoke team are probably my faves though. The teleported mech on the fire team is the secret mvp once you get the range upgrade. You can just teleport Bek straight into the water.
I got the chuck-fist as a random upgrade in a store for another team, and yes, it's oodles of fun to toss Veks into the line of fire of other Veks, on top of spawning points or onto hazards like mines. I just can't wrap my head around the team based on that.

Worst mech ever has got to be the suicide mech with three health that can only charge at enemies in a straight line, at the cost of one health while doing two damage. And the heinously expensive upgrade ups that to two damage suffered and three damage dealt. Like, what. It doesn't even have any other perks like armour or an immunity to netting or acid.

And fire > fog. Fog mechs aren't immune to fog, which is a major PITA. Meanwhile fire mechs are just hunkey dorey when the entire map is ablaze. I would almost call them overpowered. After all, you can even set buildings ablaze and they don't take damage from it. So you have free reign to burninate.
!list

Corporal

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 02:28:27 AM »
Doublepost, but who cares. I certainly don't. :smug

Man, scrolling through the cheevo list in gog galaxy makes one think.

Only a smidge above half of the players ever leave the first island or play for long enough to level the EXP-boost pilot to max, which is a trivial undertaking.
-but-
Nearly the same amount of players are determined enough to play until they're able to perfect the first island with the starting squad and roughly half unlock another mech squad which requires at least three achievements, meaning they must have played at least a bit more seriously - and nearly a third of all players manage to beat an island without taking building damage or amass nine or more stars, which isn't something trivial and indicates there's a skilled "hardcore" player base that's surprisingly big.

Plus, holy moly, I wasn't aware the FTL pilot was this rare. :-X

(...only 14% have the 12-tiles-on-fire-simultaneously cheevo. I'm such a big fan of the fire team that this actually hurts my heart. )
!list

Fifstar

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2018, 05:17:41 AM »
Really sucks that this game is only windows/ipad for now. Smartphones and switch should have been a priority for them. Bringing this game to Linux and Mac before also seems like a unfortunate decision, although I guess they only need to port the code and don't need to change the interface/graphics for those platforms.
Gulp

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2018, 07:32:17 AM »
Here's the link to the Steam achievement list: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/590380/achievements/

It gives a better idea, I assume, since the majority of sales on PC seem to come from their storefront.

I got 38/55 myself. I will probably revisit the title at some point in the future.

Huff

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2018, 09:01:50 AM »
switch being a priority lulz  :lol
dur

Fifstar

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
You realize that for numerous big profile indie games the switch version quickly became the best selling version or even outsold all other versions combined (that's including steam)? Even old ass ports sold decent in lots of cases.
For being the follow up to Faster than light this game failed to gather attention, being on switch would definitely have helped with that.
Gulp

Corporal

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2018, 10:20:49 PM »
I'm still miffed that they patched that ITB ad banner into the FTL main menu. I mean, I don't mind a tongue in cheek wink to the successor or a "hay guyse we do other gaems" popup that shows like once, or is sitting in a submenu or shows up after the credits. Kinda annoying to have it in your face like that.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 10:27:22 PM by Corporal »
!list

kingv

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2018, 11:07:30 PM »
Switch is the best platform for indies, except for some of the ports are so bad.

Typically, I still buy them there though. Sort of annoyed I have this on PC instead. I’m getting off a flight now and it would have been great to play into the breach a few rounds.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2018, 11:33:15 PM »
iOS port would be my idea situation. This kind of game is great with touchscreens, I don't own a Switch, and I want to play on-the-go.

kingv

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2018, 01:53:36 AM »
It would be great on an iPad too. I agree.

I have put a ton of hours into FTL on the iPad.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2019, 09:44:06 PM »
Was watching NorthernLion play this to get a better feel of the game : I love it already... But man I started yelling at my screen because of some of the obvious misplays. Had to stop.
ὕβρις

Himu

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2019, 09:47:31 PM »
Looks great
IYKYK

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2019, 07:22:13 AM »
Would the game really work on phones ? I'd think you still need some screen real estate...

Anyway the video footage had me over the moon. It's everything I would have expected from the FTL peeps and there's a definite lineage despite the game being its own thing. Small scale tactical/strategy games are really the only thing I manage to care for anymore truly.

I would imagine the game runs fine on puny configs, can anyone confirm ?
ὕβρις

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2019, 08:05:28 AM »
It runs great on switch, cant imagine it to run bad on anything

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2019, 09:17:01 AM »
Christ, bring it to iOS already!

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 11:26:40 AM »
Would the game really work on phones ? I'd think you still need some screen real estate...

Anyway the video footage had me over the moon. It's everything I would have expected from the FTL peeps and there's a definite lineage despite the game being its own thing. Small scale tactical/strategy games are really the only thing I manage to care for anymore truly.

I would imagine the game runs fine on puny configs, can anyone confirm ?

Processor: 1.7+ GHz or better
Memory: 1 GB RAM
Graphics: Must support OpenGL 2.1 or higher. Intel HD 3000 or better.
Storage: 200 MB available space

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2019, 12:01:14 PM »
Things take time and planning

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2019, 12:34:50 PM »
I see Subset is based in Shanghai, I guess they're Chinese ? Not a lot of coverage of who they are (compared to, say, Klei) maybe that's why.

Talented guys  :jawalrus
ὕβρις

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2019, 02:48:56 PM »
The relative lack of coverage (though it looks normal to me?) might be due to FTL starting out on Kickstarter and Indie devs being notoriously bad at marketing. Into The Breach however got a lot of natural attention due to FTL's success.

Their Presskit isn't linked on the main site itself, but it showed up on Google.
http://subsetgames.com/presskit/index.php
Says they're "Based in N/A" ... Hm. :I

Justin Ma lists his location on Twitter as Seattle, WA. Matthew Davis doesn't sound Chinese, so I'm gonna assume they're both from North America. :hmph

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2019, 06:12:04 PM »

kingv

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2019, 07:00:04 PM »
I believe I read that the two live in different places and work remotely.

At some point I thought I had read that they never met in person until wel into FTLs development (maybe even after release).

VomKriege

• Do the moron
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2019, 11:52:00 AM »
The relative lack of coverage (though it looks normal to me?) might be due to FTL starting out on Kickstarter and Indie devs being notoriously bad at marketing. Into The Breach however got a lot of natural attention due to FTL's success.

Their Presskit isn't linked on the main site itself, but it showed up on Google.
http://subsetgames.com/presskit/index.php
Says they're "Based in N/A" ... Hm. :I

Justin Ma lists his location on Twitter as Seattle, WA. Matthew Davis doesn't sound Chinese, so I'm gonna assume they're both from North America. :hmph

Yeah I dunno, I didn't look very hard into it, it's just that over the years I've heard the guys from Mode 7 or Klei (plus all the people that are/were at Firaxis at one point and made indie games) and I thought to myself I've never seen Subset covered like that but I surely missed it.
ὕβρις