Author Topic: CLIFFY B FAILED TO MAKE PUBG HIS BITCH! (Up: SHUTS IT DOWN™!!!)  (Read 12043 times)

seagrams hotsauce

Re: CLIFFY B IS ABOUT TO MAKE PUBG HIS BITCH!
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2018, 02:21:19 AM »
I mean he has (or had?) "fuck you" money from investing his Epic money into Occulus. So surely he can pay them. But the problem is: The brand/development house is known as the "Lawbreakers studio" and since that was a laughing stock, it's hard on morale to stay with a company that doesn't seem to be finding massive success that Cliffy wants them to do ("Million Dollar I.P.").
I think they really jumped the gun here. It feels incredibly rough and there's nothing that really separates it from Fortnite or PUBG. The art direction is probably the biggest distinction, and large parts of the game are still just grayboxed, so it's not like that's even fully implemented. They should have put it out when it was in better shape and waited a while til the stench of Lawbreakers failure wasn't still hanging in the air.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2018, 03:01:52 AM »
The question is, after two "flops" (well, this one is holding some players. :doge ) why would MS poach him/grab him? His name is basically Box Office Poison at this point.

Who else is wiling to start up a project funded by MS? Who else seems to need it? Aside from that MS needs something and CliffyB worked out for them before.

I can see it happening.

Sure MS needs something, but they are not showing any willingness to make something. Just close more shit down.

I think MS is done making games.

It would take them 3-5 years to put anything out anyway if they start work today, but they have no one left to make games.

Only way MS is getting exclusives is by buying the rights, they will not develop big games anymore on their own.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »
I tried to install it earlier because I love Steam F2P everything but especially disasters and it crashed Steam when I clicked "next" so instead I played ALLIANCE OF VALIANT ARMS in "protest" because you can get a TF2 knife from playing one match.

And that game is pretty awesome at being just terrible, and the UI, oh god it's a disaster area. Especially figuring out, well, actually, literally everything pretty much. I had a bit too much fun playing the one mindless mode where you just gun down everyone because the map is like two hallways. And it adds like 20 bots to the game who are just cannon fodder. So it was worth it. To get that TF2 knife I guess? Also you get an achievement for creating a character, which is required to get past the first menu.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
And like everyone playing it is Korean or... Russian.
:putin
[close]
[close]

CliffyB's Jazz Jackrabbit Clicker would have been money af, he's missing on the real gravy train. Thick, sweaty fur gravy. :lawd
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2018, 11:25:22 PM »
Those dudes probably haven't been paid in months.

We're talking about guys who had money enough from all the Call of Dutys they worked on to buy houses in NC when they moved out there to work for CliffyB.

Also from experience, people don't work for very long once you stop paying them.
NO

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2018, 12:19:12 AM »
I tried to install it earlier because I love Steam F2P everything but especially disasters and it crashed Steam when I clicked "next" so instead I played ALLIANCE OF VALIANT ARMS in "protest" because you can get a TF2 knife from playing one match.

And that game is pretty awesome at being just terrible, and the UI, oh god it's a disaster area. Especially figuring out, well, actually, literally everything pretty much. I had a bit too much fun playing the one mindless mode where you just gun down everyone because the map is like two hallways. And it adds like 20 bots to the game who are just cannon fodder. So it was worth it. To get that TF2 knife I guess? Also you get an achievement for creating a character, which is required to get past the first menu.

And like everyone playing it is Korean or... Russian.
:putin
[close]
[close]

CliffyB's Jazz Jackrabbit Clicker would have been money af, he's missing on the real gravy train. Thick, sweaty fur gravy. :lawd

Can't. Epic owns Jazz.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2018, 12:29:38 AM »
I would give this a try, but my heart can only take so much.

thisismyusername

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 12:42:16 AM »
I would give this a try, but my heart can only take so much.

You're learning, finally.  ;) :-*

Seriously, though: If it doesn't die out before it reaches the end of Early Access: Wait until Early Access is finished or at least the map is finished (and they get anti-cheat in). It's SUPER early and really not recommended right now.

Also the game is having like 1-3,000 players daily now. So... who knows if it'll bleed out before the end of the month/next month. But it seems to be holding more players than Lawbreakers.

thisismyusername

« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2018, 06:06:57 PM »
https://archive.li/2ugnD

"Radical Heights hits radical lows, 82 per cent players leave"

Oh no!

Lack of anti-cheat is making it bleed whatever playerbase it was holding onto.
[close]

Switters

« Reply #68 on: May 02, 2018, 02:59:23 PM »
Dude small has hit radical lows

:goty
troll

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2018, 03:41:00 PM »
That was quick

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2018, 04:53:53 PM »
Yeah, Radical Heights is pretty much dead.
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2018, 06:19:17 PM »

879 players currently in-game.

:violin Stick a fork in it, it's done within a month. :violin

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2018, 06:35:04 PM »
Cliffy B: "Stop stealing my players EPIC!"

"If Epic games doesn't stop stealing my players, they will never get to see the amazing features we have planned!"
🤴

thisismyusername

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2018, 10:08:27 PM »
I mean the only thing it has going for it is the game-show trapings in the BR genre. Otherwise everything else about it (save the BMX stuff) is weak as hell. They really need to put anti-cheat in pronto, but given how slow they've been, I kinda doubt that'll happen before the game craters into the ground never to recover.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2018, 09:04:38 AM »

879 players currently in-game.

:violin Stick a fork in it, it's done within a month. :violin

XXXXtreme player loss!
©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2018, 02:29:33 PM »
The dream is dead
🤴

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2018, 03:14:13 PM »
Radical Heights is dead? :(

What a bummer. Hope to see him land on his feet.
What

thisismyusername

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2018, 04:29:25 PM »
The dream is dead
(Image removed from quote.)

I was coming in with:

CLIFFY B FAILED TO MAKE PUBG HIS BITCH.

SHUT IT DOWN™

Damn you for bumping this before I could.  :'( How do I edit thread titles!?

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2018, 04:30:57 PM »
I'm bummed out by this. Cliffy is an A-OK dude in the Book of Sho Nuff

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2018, 04:42:11 PM »

He tried to argue once that Saints Row should tone it down and be more like Heat or Collateral, so I've disliked him ever since.
dog

thisismyusername

« Reply #80 on: May 14, 2018, 04:47:53 PM »

I mean, I don't hate him or anything and wish him the best. But he completely missed the mark with these two games and this last one (which this thread is/was about) screamed "last-gasp/death-rattle of Boss Key."

Also: http://www.gamesradar.com/pc-gaming-in-disarray-says-cliffy-b/

"I think the PC is just in disarray... What's driving the PC right now is Sims-type games and WoW and a lot of stuff that's in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That's the direction PC is evolving into. So for me, the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we're doing. It's important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we're at."

Karma coming back to bite him in the ass with the PC gaming resurgance and him not lighting fire.

thisismyusername

« Reply #81 on: May 14, 2018, 04:53:32 PM »
HAHAHAHA, OH WOW. This train doesn't stop:

https://twitter.com/Supernintendo/status/996096496708784128

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #82 on: May 14, 2018, 04:57:03 PM »
Oh god, ouch

seagrams hotsauce

Re: CLIFFY B FAILED TO MAKE PUBG HIS BITCH! (Up: SHUTS IT DOWN™!!!)
« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2018, 05:18:32 PM »
Oh my god, imagine being one of the guys who Epic tried to steal from BK right now. Two weeks ago you had a chance to working on ripping off Worldstar videos for Fortnite emotes, and today you find out you're getting shitcanned via twitter. God damn dude!

thisismyusername

« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2018, 05:19:31 PM »
The worst part is, if that allegation of the employees not knowing until Cliff tweeted about the shutdown is true: Cliffy will never work in the industry again, I feel. That's like... massive bridge-burning.

paprikastaude

« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2018, 05:31:23 PM »
Well, that escalated quickly.

Purple Filth

• This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win—and it can—then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace
« Reply #86 on: May 14, 2018, 05:36:36 PM »
The worst part is, if that allegation of the employees not knowing until Cliff tweeted about the shutdown is true: Cliffy will never work in the industry again, I feel. That's like... massive bridge-burning.

Apparently they learnt about it in a surprise meeting on the day which i guess is way better according to idiots in the era thread  ::)

https://twitter.com/ron_lajoie/status/996104258260029442

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:42:55 PM by Purple Filth »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2018, 05:37:29 PM »
Someone floated the idea that Microsoft may have wanted to work with Cliff again (to bolster their first party efforts) and needed him to decide just before an E3 announcement.
But I'm also in the camp that says Cliff burned too many bridges to be hired anytime soon if ever.
🤴

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2018, 06:17:22 PM »
It's def not as bad in a professional sense, but I doubt cliffy b is gonna wash the stench of failure away any time soon after a 1-2 like this. That's two brutal failures in a very short window, gonna look like shit on his linkedin

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2018, 07:31:51 PM »

Apparently they learnt about it in a surprise meeting on the day which i guess is way better according to idiots in the era thread  ::)

https://twitter.com/ron_lajoie/status/996104258260029442

They were given XXXXtreme Early Notice
©@©™

bluemax

« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2018, 12:27:10 AM »

I mean, I don't hate him or anything and wish him the best. But he completely missed the mark with these two games and this last one (which this thread is/was about) screamed "last-gasp/death-rattle of Boss Key."

Also: http://www.gamesradar.com/pc-gaming-in-disarray-says-cliffy-b/

"I think the PC is just in disarray... What's driving the PC right now is Sims-type games and WoW and a lot of stuff that's in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That's the direction PC is evolving into. So for me, the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we're doing. It's important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we're at."

Karma coming back to bite him in the ass with the PC gaming resurgance and him not lighting fire.

Felt like CliffyB was too stuck in the mindset of a lot of 90s game dev people who think they have a grasp on what the market is on PC but are completely ignorant of the current landscape. See also Roberts, Chris (who at least found a more fanatical group of whales).

Eh, its kinda par for the course in this industry to be honest. There are always signs that something like this could happen, but there's usually never a good way to find out.
NO

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2018, 03:08:06 AM »
Wow at least I got to experience this masterpiece briefly.

We will never forget Radical Heights.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2018, 04:30:28 AM »
And by most accounts many of the Epic guys are pretty conservative financially and so did not do an id flame out with their money. He indicated that Boss Key was going to be him spending some of it on vanity projects that he hoped would make money but it was okay if there were flops.
Guess Cliffy B was more conservative than I thought!

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2018, 04:31:37 AM »
Oh my god, imagine being one of the guys who Epic tried to steal from BK right now. Two weeks ago you had a chance to working on ripping off Worldstar videos for Fortnite emotes
What if Epic actually did successfully poach one of them...

Cliffy B. :ohhh

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2018, 04:36:22 AM »
Isn't it the second or third time that CliffyB "retires", now?

Cerveza mas fina

• filler
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2018, 06:05:10 AM »
He will blame it on gamers no doubt

thisismyusername

« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2018, 11:03:40 AM »
Isn't it the second or third time that CliffyB "retires", now?

Second, yeah. He left Epic after Gears 3 and got "fuck you" money through Occulus. He should just stay home with his #ImWithHer wife and be a family (to dogs) man. :doge