Author Topic: Why’d everyone forget Batman Arkham Knight  (Read 3272 times)

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
Why’d everyone forget Batman Arkham Knight
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:08:27 PM »
Just got it on Steam (looks like they fixed the performance issues) and game is dope. Nicest graphics of the gen imo. Gotham is well detailed.

But no one ever brings it up. It was hyped like crazy too. What happened

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Why’d everyone forget Batman Arkham Knight
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 08:32:18 PM »
Shit performance at launch, Arkham game burnout, Batmobile was booty.
©@©™

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2018, 08:34:37 PM »
Is city still hot a garbage port?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2018, 08:59:32 PM »
Batmobile ruined the game. Also a reskin of Arkham City.
fat

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:08:00 PM »
Fuck the Batmobile and not in the Deviantart way

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 09:48:51 PM »
Arkham Asylum was an amazing game.  What happened after it is an example of why we can't have nice things.
🍆🍆

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 10:08:58 PM »
I’ll agree that the Batmobile is misplaced but I definitely had fun with it.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 11:37:00 PM »

Is it? I got it for cheap on Steam sales and haven't gotten around to it.

(The typical story for Steam users, amirite?)

I guess once I'm done with this Ghost Recon: Wildlands download and the Splinter Cell event, I'll have to crack that open and finish up Disgaea 2 and FF12 with it.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 11:47:00 PM »

Eh, it's not that bad.
dog

kingv

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 12:17:38 AM »
I they ever fix the rain in Arkham knight on PC? Last I played it it still didn’t interact correctly with Batman’s model and cape. Like he wouldn’t get wet as he was supposed to.

I enjoyed the game, but no bosses was lame as hell and the bat mobile sucked. Arkham origins stays the best Arkham hame.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 04:58:38 AM »
Tight level design out of the window for sprinkled garbage. Having to 100% the riddler garbage for the actual ending.

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2018, 05:03:28 AM »

I guess once I'm done with this Ghost Recon: Wildlands download and the Splinter Cell event, I'll have to crack that open and finish up Disgaea 2 and FF12 with it.

Maybe I am thinking of Knight?

Fifstar

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 07:32:21 AM »

What do you mean? Ran great on my old ass 6870. There might be some bug where it stutters for half a second when you're flying over the City even with beefy systems, but far far from an garbage port. Actually Asylum and City both stand among the better ports from last gen imo.
Gulp

paprikastaude

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 08:14:39 AM »
Even worse than the mobile was the dramatic increase in super generic repetitive fetch quests and the decrease of areas with actual interesting level design.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 09:29:09 AM »
Who needs tight level design when you can just Ubisoft it? :snore
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2018, 11:21:47 AM »
Arkham asylum had the best level design of the series. I love how it was basically Metroid batman.

IMO even city was pretty generic, open world wise.

I still enjoyed city and knight, but none of them beat asylum.

Also, knight had no bosses. Wtf were they thinking in a batman game to not have any bosses?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2018, 12:09:24 PM »

Maybe you're thinking of Arkham Origins?  That one had some nasty bugs initially.
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
I completely forget that Origins even existed.
dog

kingv

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2018, 12:29:40 PM »
Origins has the best story out of the Arkham games imo. And definitely 100% the best bosses.

I played it a number of years later and didn’t run into any of the nasty bugs, but apparently it’s still not 100% fixed. I think you can lose your save if you do certain things

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »
Origins has the best story out of the Arkham games imo. And definitely 100% the best bosses.

I played it a number of years later and didn’t run into any of the nasty bugs, but apparently it’s still not 100% fixed. I think you can lose your save if you do certain things

I got it at release, played for a few hours and got to a point where you had to disable a transmitter on a rooftop, which would then trigger an event on a large ship at the docks.  Saved the game and went back to it later...and the transmitter wouldn't disable, so I couldn't progress any further into the game.  Uninstalled it and didn't try the game again until a few months back when I got Origins on PS3 for like $10 new.  It's passable on PS3 but I decided to reinstall it on PC and see if maybe it won't be so shitty this time around.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2018, 01:14:31 PM »
Who needs tight level design when you can just Ubisoft it? :snore

Ironcially, some of the batmobile Riddler puzzles had the tighest design in the game.

Any other quest:

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 04:38:20 PM »

Maybe you're thinking of Arkham Origins?  That one had some nasty bugs initially.

I think it's Knight I remember a bunch of reviewers being salty about Ubi still not fixing performance issues and they had a lot of batmobile footage playing in the background iirc.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2018, 05:03:54 PM »
I loved Arkham Knight!
püp

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2018, 05:19:12 PM »

I think it's Knight I remember a bunch of reviewers being salty about Ubi still not fixing performance issues and they had a lot of batmobile footage playing in the background iirc.

Yeah, Knight was notoriously horrible to where WB actually issued REFUNDS and gave some DLC away for free for whoever kept the game. :doge

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »
Arkham asylum had the best level design of the series. I love how it was basically Metroid batman.

IMO even city was pretty generic, open world wise.

I still enjoyed city and knight, but none of them beat asylum.

Also, knight had no bosses. Wtf were they thinking in a batman game to not have any bosses?

Yeah, lost interest in the Batman games when they started going more and more the generic open world route instead of the interconnected, bespoke level design of Asylum.
^_^

Borealis

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2018, 05:24:43 AM »
Arkham's Asylum, City, and Origins are worth your time. As always, the Riddler collectables in all are just too bloody much even if they're tied to artwork and 3D models.

Asylum has great atmosphere, narrative, the free-flow combat. Well deserved status as a great superhero game adaption. But, the boss fights and their fixed camera angles are total anus.   

City's more open-world environment hurts the narrative pacing and quest design, but the improvements to Batman's gameplay abilities and free-flow combat are welcome. Plus, the boss fights are much better. Also, playing as the Catwoman and Robins felt great in terms of their unique combat abilities + movement flow etc.

Origins is lacking some polish, but the characters designs, narratives, and boss fights make up for that. Fuck publishers wanting to squeeze in tack-on multiplayer that's been shut down, however.

As for Knight, FUCK THAT: Batmobile overuse was just one of multiple bullshits it pulled (dealing with
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Deathstroke
[close]
of all villains, should never have ended like that). The narrative pacing and twists were total bunk, integrated even worse with gameplay too (nice drill boss sequence Rocksteady :yuck). Worst of all, the Arkham Knight himself.. ::)

Gotham's layout didn't even feel like Gotham, not to mention the drastically reduced interior segments. Rocksteady took heaps of open-world design cues from Ubisoft (e.g. destroying bases/towers, unlocking island access) and somehow made them worse. Finally, the full ending tied to 100% Riddler collectables was the icing on a "go fuck yourself" cake.

Don't forget, the follow-up side narratives to plot points in City like Azreal and Hush were hot garbo :maf

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2018, 06:31:42 AM »

City was treated like Knight at launch, a crapped out port from the consoles was dumped onto PC with a bunch of nvidia exclusive features stuck on and the game was never truly optimized. (Actually, Asylum was the same way, people forget because the game had smaller maps with few controlled spots for gliding. There's also loads hidden all over the place with door animations or Batman kicking through something, it's most noticeable once you start back-tracking for the endgame.)

They did patch it up better than they did Knight though which Rocksteady completely just left in Dave Lang's hands (even though Iron Galaxy already had crapped out the Origins PC port), so it was eventually playable on common hardware of the time with PhysX and such off (8800GT-ish was fine I think?) and at this point standard gaming hardware should do fine with the GOTY.

If you don't have it on a SSD it'll hitch, pause and UE3 texture pop-in if you move through the world too fast though. Might even on a SSD. It's really not a cared for UE3 engine like say Gearbox did with Borderlands 2.

Origins was buggy, but Montreal actually patched it a few times including the busted missions (and Splash Damage futilely tried to fix the PC multiplayer* despite WB not paying them to), but they were still dealing with Rocksteady's cobbled together engine so you'll always load doing the fast-travels and they tried to hide some of the seams by putting blocks in your path so you can't skip through the load chunks like you could by going at odd angles in City. A lot of the collision and animation bugs are actually also present in Asylum and City, but people overlooked them because they were the first games. Origins' combat is slightly off too, which probably makes it more noticeable coming from the earlier games.

And the world is empty as fuck since it's much larger.

Far and away the best story and bosses though, and the interiors are alright, they main problem is they "had" to top City like Knight so the extra sized city isn't really as great as Asylum's tighter go-everywhere design.

It's kinda crazy that the 500 person studio hasn't really done anything (we know of) in five years except some DLC missions for Knight. I always assumed they were doing the rumored Suicide Squad spin-off game, especially since Origins has an after credit setup for it, they had job openings talking about more 3D action games set in the DC universe**, and the schedule seemed like it lined up for them to put it out near the movie.

*It would crash the game for everyone if the matchmaking failed for any single player connected. IIRC, SD indicated it was something they literally couldn't fix and they would have been better off not using the engine they were given, just the assets. So they "patched" it to extend the time before it failed to like an hour or something so if you got the black screen you could back out and try again. Needless to say the multiplayer was not populated for very long. (Although I liked parts of the "concept" since it was asymmetric (with Batman hounding both teams) and the regular shooting was Splash Damage quality enough. They should explore the idea in Dirty Bomb somehow.)
**Infact one is still listed:
WB Games Montréal seeks a Senior Systemic Gameplay Programmer to work on its open-world AAA title based on one of DC Universe’s most popular IPs. This person will focus on the systemic ecosystem of the game, including gameplay, missions, and encounters.

kingv

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2018, 08:17:53 AM »
Arkham knight came out in 2015, so I expect rocksteady will have something to tease at e3 this year.

Also amazing was how trash that season pass was for $50. I got it for $19 and still felt ripped off.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2018, 12:23:44 PM »
Feel like it was forgotten because it was pretty meh to bad. I really disliked the story. Sure the stories in all of them are nothing great. Here though they really took their shit seriously and the constant mystery of the who the Arkham Knight was, was lame. People guessed who it was quickly and then rocksteady was like all no it's not Drake. Then like an hour into the game it's like "remember drake?". So lame and of course despite the Joker being dead, the game couldn't really drop him and shift to Scarecrow who not only had an amazing design, but also voice. Of course he is dispatched so quickly.

So the story was lame.

But the boss battles were lame in that they were tank battles. A Deathstroke tank battle wtf?

The Arkham Knight battle was just a hard stealth situation.

The set pieces were just kind of meh.

It also felt like it was built around the batmobile to the expense of everything else. Felt like there were few brawls, good puzzles, and whatever through out the main story.

And the side quests felt very underdeveloped compared to the others.

But man was it a great looking game with some wild as fuck presentation work.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2018, 12:53:50 PM »
Origins is the only one I havent played because no kevin conroy.. maybe i should change that
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2018, 01:52:04 PM »
Origins is easily the weakest of the 4 Arkham games.
dog

paprikastaude

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2018, 04:13:25 AM »
Origins has the least awful story, best bosses and art direction. Level design isn't too hot though (the open world in particular is unnecessary and puzzles become braindead by the end).

bluemax

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2018, 11:36:14 PM »
Origins had a weird relationship between Batman and Alfred but otherwise it was okay I guess.

I bought the port of the DS/PSP one or whatever on PC and that's the only one I haven't finished.
NO