Author Topic: Music Production & Theory  (Read 8068 times)

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
Music Production & Theory
« on: April 24, 2018, 12:50:25 PM »
This has been something I've dabbled with in the far flung past but I kinda want to get deeper into it lately.

Here's two embarrassing tracks I made 8 years ago on some crap trial version of FL studio.  :doge
https://soundcloud.com/atramental-ghost/dark-ether
https://soundcloud.com/atramental-ghost/sky-fortress

:picard

If anyone *cough* toku *cough* could show me some decent starting points and/or software for a noob that just wants to make some nice electronic beats and some textural drone tracks on my mac (or pc) laptop I would be very appreciative.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 07:07:45 AM by Atramental »

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Re: Music Production
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 01:16:22 PM »

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »
lol, yeah if you want lots of hits you can get your FF on, FrankJavCee has lots of tutorials on how to do various genres. There's a lot of good muso youtubers out there. As far as babby's first DAW goes uh, FL has a free version and you could probably get a fully featured 'free' version if you know where to look, lots of big shit people just use FL. Ableton Live has a 30 day trial version and if you're going to compose a bit by improvising while a beat plays that's probably the way to go. Of course if you want the full version of Ableton afterwards it costs as much as Pro Tools. :lol
Hi

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »
I want to get back into this. Used to mess around in FL cutting up samples posting on r/makinghiphop for other cacs to spit hot fire on.

Music Theory:
https://www.musictheory.net/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_c9BZzLwBRK4df4kteynpwAedXdw9rul

This may not apply to your needs but this channel was great for drum breaks and samples:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3wQ-wKmOpDtj9W0ymaQjpg/videos

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 04:28:43 PM »
lol, yeah if you want lots of hits you can get your FF on, FrankJavCee has lots of tutorials on how to do various genres. There's a lot of good muso youtubers out there. As far as babby's first DAW goes uh, FL has a free version and you could probably get a fully featured 'free' version if you know where to look, lots of big shit people just use FL. Ableton Live has a 30 day trial version and if you're going to compose a bit by improvising while a beat plays that's probably the way to go. Of course if you want the full version of Ableton afterwards it costs as much as Pro Tools. :lol
not if you know where to find it. Besides, it's good to get used to dropping dumb amounts of money on shit out of the gate when you're starting out. Makes it that much easier to transition from neophyte to bearded nerd with a room dedicated to their Eurorack setup and obscure analog ribbon synths that had a 500 unit production run in 1976

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 06:18:13 PM »

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 06:31:38 PM »
electronic music seems to be on it's way out.... hopefully

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2018, 06:40:44 PM »
:trigger

It's probably one of the most versatile and pervasive genres out there.  :doge

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2018, 07:07:23 PM »
do whatever you want play and have fun

ppl really like ableton
after that its probably fl studio and logic pro in terms of popularity
get a mini keyboard with/and pads
read/watch a lot
think about it a lot
have fun and play

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »
Ableton is cool if you can afford it. You can do whatever just on a comp, but the push pads make it more intuitive.

Lot of people recommend FL still to people just starting off.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2018, 08:26:47 PM »
Just buy an mpc60, a techniq 1200, and a Juno 106 and record into a Tascam portastudio. DAWs are for suckers

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »

Uhh, not really, no. Maybe in super mainstream pop culture terms - but even then, the pop producers and hiphop producers will bite from underground electronic music like they have been doing for years.
^_^

EVOL

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 09:49:17 PM »
If you have a Mac, Logic Pro is the best bang for the buck imo. The synths and plugins that come with it are worth the price alone. A lot of EDM producers seem to prefer Live, but I come from a more traditional singer-songwriter background so I liked Logic's workflow much more than Ableton's. I never fucked around with FL Studio so no experience there. The hip hop producers I know seem to like it though.

Here's some free plugins which are quite gud

OBxd synthesizer, a digital recreation of the Oberheim synths. The sound quality is pretty good, slap on some effects and it sounds really nice.
https://obxd.wordpress.com

iZotope Vinyl plugin. It's pretty handy for making digital plugin synths sound a bit more organic.
https://www.izotope.com/en/products/create-and-design/vinyl.html

And be replaced with what? It's certainly not guitar music, guitar sales have been on a steady decline lately. There's even talks of Gibson going under. Electronic music is here to stay.

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 02:25:39 AM »
Guys assimilate is literally distinguished mentally-challenged, you can take basically anything he says and assume either the opposite is true or that it's as coherent as anything you can come up with in your phone by just hitting random words in predictive text, there's no need to pay attention to or address anything he says earnestly

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »
Reaper's good too. It's high priority next purchase for me music wise. I do everything in Maschine right now. Technically it's not a DAW, just a sequencer. That, Serum (if you're gonna learn any wavetable synth...this is one, easy as hell to use but versatile and a the new/premium version of a limiter I've loved and used for years.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:01:46 PM by toku »

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 08:16:50 PM »
Yes, because if the music industry has shown us anything it's that it is willing to forego technology. :comeon
que

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 10:13:11 PM »
IMO 'creative' stuff like Ableton, FL, Bitwig etc is the way to go for someone starting out over Reaper, Cubase, Logic and the like. All of it's daunting as a beginner but I think having software that's intentionally build for experimentation and improvisation is a lot more 'encouraging' than traditional DAWs built for recording and editing. I remember starting out with FL and Cool Edit Pro (lol) and thinking back I don't even know if I would have bothered with CE if I wasn't recording into it. I'm glad I figured it out since once I moved to Ableton it helped a lot, but that side of things was always way more boring than actually composing in FL was.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 11:39:01 PM »
Once I've saved up a bit more disposable income (since tax season really cleaned me out...) I'm going to most likely buy FL Studio 12's Producer Edition and re-learn the ropes again with that.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 11:50:53 PM »
Utilize the trial and fuck with tutorials before dropping money. FL is actually pretty dope as it’s a legit current platform producers are using and free updates forever etc but see if you like it first.

Beezy

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 12:32:19 AM »
I've been saying I'd make time to learn how to use my Maschine and FL Studio better, but I haven't been able to so far because life. I'll watch this thread and aim to give it another shot once NBA playoffs are over.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 09:28:32 PM »
Another thing I was wondering about was great headphones for music production.

Someone recommended that I look into Shure headphones:
http://www.shure.com/americas/products/headphones

But I'm open to other options.

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 03:17:08 AM »

:nintendo

I suppose one goal I’m going to shoot for this year is make one decent track that’ll be nice to groove to.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2018, 12:29:07 PM »
Grab fl studio
grab some neutral sounding cans or get monitors
go on youtube and search "[type genre/beat you like and want to make] fl studio tutorial"
copy tutorial, learn the ins and outs so you can do it in your sleep
??? (make hundreds and thousands of this copy cat trash)
start adding more of yourself into it

congratulations! you now have another creative talent/hobby that will keep you awake at night but it will not make you happy

Fifstar

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
IMO 'creative' stuff like Ableton, FL, Bitwig etc is the way to go for someone starting out over Reaper, Cubase, Logic and the like. All of it's daunting as a beginner but I think having software that's intentionally build for experimentation and improvisation is a lot more 'encouraging' than traditional DAWs built for recording and editing. I remember starting out with FL and Cool Edit Pro (lol) and thinking back I don't even know if I would have bothered with CE if I wasn't recording into it. I'm glad I figured it out since once I moved to Ableton it helped a lot, but that side of things was always way more boring than actually composing in FL was.

Hm, I only used Ableton (somewhat extensively) so I can't talk about more linear focused DAW, but one problem I had with the loop based approach that it often led to myself to myself not finishing tracks or making to repetive stuff.
I would come up with some beats, some chords (I mainly made old school house or Nu Disco style stuff). It sounded somewhat nice after an hour of fiddling. Then I pasted that stuff into the arrangement view and tried to built a track around it. In most cases, it ended up as sounding incredibly repetetive - and that in genre that's knwon for being repetetive.
I believe, at least for some people, that the focus on loops leads to ideas that don't work for full tracks. A more linear focused DAW might help to come up with more fleshed out songs or more focus on a creative arrangement.
Or I just suck at making music, could also be ;)

On topic, I think I will buy the KORG Gadgets for the switch. Seems like a nice tool to come up with some sketches. And I also need to find my license number for Ableton again, maybe I get some time for making music this summer...

@Toku: Are the ATH-M50x comfortable? Sold my Yamaha HS80 so I need something to make music again.
Gulp

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2018, 03:29:32 PM »
not 100% sure as I actually own a much older model/style but the beauty of the m50s are the ear pads are easily replaceable and you have a ton of options:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006NH8768/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Shure-HPAEC940-Replacement-Velour-Headphones/dp/B005OM06RG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

and a ton more

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »

Hm, I only used Ableton (somewhat extensively) so I can't talk about more linear focused DAW, but one problem I had with the loop based approach that it often led to myself to myself not finishing tracks or making to repetive stuff.
I would come up with some beats, some chords (I mainly made old school house or Nu Disco style stuff). It sounded somewhat nice after an hour of fiddling. Then I pasted that stuff into the arrangement view and tried to built a track around it. In most cases, it ended up as sounding incredibly repetetive - and that in genre that's knwon for being repetetive.
I believe, at least for some people, that the focus on loops leads to ideas that don't work for full tracks. A more linear focused DAW might help to come up with more fleshed out songs or more focus on a creative arrangement.
Or I just suck at making music, could also be ;)

On topic, I think I will buy the KORG Gadgets for the switch. Seems like a nice tool to come up with some sketches. And I also need to find my license number for Ableton again, maybe I get some time for making music this summer...

@Toku: Are the ATH-M50x comfortable? Sold my Yamaha HS80 so I need something to make music again.

Loop Hell is definitely a bitch, but to be honest I don't really feel confident judging wether one DAW or another makes it easier to fall into that hole. My entry into DAWs was initially just to track stuff from my MPC, so for the first year or so that I used ableton, I didn't even know how session view worked lol. I do like how easy ableton makes it to add loops to your library, so if I'm sitting on something I like but don't really know how to move forward I can just throw it in a folder with other loops in the same key and pull it out to see if it fits with something I'm working on later.

That phenomenon is really uniquely unpleasant though. I think the closest thing to it is when you have to read something over and over out loud, and after a while the words coming out of your mouth are totally divorced from any meaning. Just the other day I was cleaning up a really quick vocal hit, and after a while I honestly thought the sample playback rate had changed because I started thinking the pitch had changed. Played back the full sample from the record and nope, my brain had just flatlined after listening to it over and over
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:14:53 AM by seagrams hotsauce »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 12:41:37 PM »
the only way out of loop hell is to embrace it
what are most songs if not loops circling different loops
if you can get a great loop going you have a whole song already, take away elements, add some more, fuck it up for a breakdown then bring it back
I doubt most of you here are interested in purely linear songs and songwriting and if you are what are you doing at the bore you should be paying attention to your music theory lessons and classical training

EVOL

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2018, 01:47:58 AM »
That phenomenon is really uniquely unpleasant though. I think the closest thing to it is when you have to read something over and over out loud, and after a while the words coming out of your mouth are totally divorced from any meaning. Just the other day I was cleaning up a really quick vocal hit, and after a while I honestly thought the sample playback rate had changed because I started thinking the pitch had changed. Played back the full sample from the record and nope, my brain had just flatlined after listening to it over and over

William Basinski made a whole career over exploring this phenomenon, check out The Disintegration Loops

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 11:00:16 PM »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2018, 11:26:24 PM »
yeah, don't worry about that for now, or ever

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2018, 12:29:54 AM »
lol yeah uh worry about learning an entirely new UI and putting a couple sounds together first fam

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
Re: Music Production & Theory
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2018, 05:33:19 PM »
don't listen to them, I wanna see you go full microtonaltard  8)
QED

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2018, 06:02:06 PM »
I'm rather... "spectrumy" when it comes to colors and fonts.

I can only imagine how I would be with microtones.  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Anyways, these next couple of days (or weeks, if I'm being honest) I'm going to try and reverse engineer a Carpenter Brut track.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 06:07:24 PM by Atramental »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2018, 06:48:23 PM »
what does that mean

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2018, 08:00:29 PM »
In this context I believe he's out to transcribe a tune and then emulate the sounds of it as closely as possible with the gear/plugins on hand.
Hi

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2018, 12:25:51 AM »
If that's the case I implore you not to do that atra. That's an ambitious task for seasoned nerds. You should learn to walk before you sign up for a marathon

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2018, 05:49:55 AM »
btw whatever happened to ur bandcam

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2018, 12:50:04 PM »
btw whatever happened to ur bandcam

I still have it but i gotta redo graphics

EVOL

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2018, 03:37:22 AM »
Just uploaded a new track, I finished it in a day a few weeks ago. I just sat on my ass to find out if I could do anything to make it better but I just ended up keeping it exactly as it was in the end.

https://soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow/slow-motion

I thought up the dopest bass line while I was sitting in traffic, and when I got to my destination I forgot it  :(

Always record musical ideas with your cellphone. I got a lot of ideas through just random shit that pops in my head.

https://metapop.com/pages/promos/native-sessions-bars?p=1

quickie but might enter it lol, kinda might be too industrialy tho

I really liked the hi hats and the main synth motif, awesome. Kinda wish it was a bit longer though

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2018, 01:02:14 PM »
Just uploaded a new track, I finished it in a day a few weeks ago. I just sat on my ass to find out if I could do anything to make it better but I just ended up keeping it exactly as it was in the end.

https://soundcloud.com/kkamaguicrow/slow-motion

I thought up the dopest bass line while I was sitting in traffic, and when I got to my destination I forgot it  :(

Always record musical ideas with your cellphone. I got a lot of ideas through just random shit that pops in my head.

https://metapop.com/pages/promos/native-sessions-bars?p=1

quickie but might enter it lol, kinda might be too industrialy tho

I really liked the hi hats and the main synth motif, awesome. Kinda wish it was a bit longer though

holy shit this was you dude? haha I was like who is this korean dude following me, this is really fucking good I almost sent an email seeing if you wanted to collab haha. Really good shit dude. Amazing atmosphere. I'm a big triphop/90s era dj krush kondo style shit and this immediately reminded me of that stuff. You're stuff is great!

Some fun with breaks:
https://soundcloud.com/wldmarks/rise-mecha-lord/s-Wh0Cm

EVOL

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2018, 09:05:59 PM »
holy shit this was you dude? haha I was like who is this korean dude following me, this is really fucking good I almost sent an email seeing if you wanted to collab haha. Really good shit dude. Amazing atmosphere. I'm a big triphop/90s era dj krush kondo style shit and this immediately reminded me of that stuff. You're stuff is great!

Some fun with breaks:
https://soundcloud.com/wldmarks/rise-mecha-lord/s-Wh0Cm

Thanks man, still up to that collab offer if you're up to it lol

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2018, 12:25:42 AM »
def. still interested! feel free to email me (its on my sc)
Idk how you work but I'm sure we'll figure something out
bless

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2018, 07:08:27 AM »
How's it going here lately

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2018, 04:40:14 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/wldmarks/kuze/s-jhdcm
made this last year but i keep coming back to it and fucking with it
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 04:45:45 PM by toku »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 04:45:02 PM »
i was actually gonna ask you about that. How often do you end up going back and working on older things? I probably have 300 various drafts of shit I've worked on and the amount I've gone back to work on is depressingly low. Sometimes I'll pull loops out of them for other projects, but I've probably only actually done real revisions on a dozen of them or so. Tough to get back in the headspace sometimes.

Shit knocks btw. Atmospheric. Low end pulls through really nicely too

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2018, 04:48:40 PM »
i was actually gonna ask you about that. How often do you end up going back and working on older things? I probably have 300 various drafts of shit I've worked on and the amount I've gone back to work on is depressingly low. Sometimes I'll pull loops out of them for other projects, but I've probably only actually done real revisions on a dozen of them or so. Tough to get back in the headspace sometimes.

Shit knocks btw. Atmospheric. Low end pulls through really nicely too

good to sketch and have sketches to pull on but I think the most important is finishing the tracks, even if its really rough. I'm more likely to go back if i think its "complete" I guess compositionally? Basically for me I like to go back and put up windows and window dresssing, not having to finish a whole house.

and sometimes i dream of pop stardom
heres something i would put under a sketch. Didn't go into it trying to make a new track, I just wanted to get some slapper beat going just to say/see if i could do it.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:18:41 PM by toku »

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2018, 05:14:28 PM »
I do try to commit to finishing things, and I can get it done easily when it's something I'm really interested in, but I was feeling a little guilty for having so many things that I have no real desire to return to. I've never thought forcing myself to work on stuff was a good idea though, so I don't beat myself up about it too much. A lot of them don't have a clear direction as an actual track, but have something i wanted to see if I could do, like you said. Often times going back I can figure out what the idea I was going for was and try to apply it to something I'm doing more recently, so I've kind of tried to stop looking at those languishing files so much as abandoned projects as small exercises along the way to the better material.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2018, 05:21:40 PM »
the work is all there is

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2018, 06:28:53 AM »
r u and EVOL doing shit 2gether

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2018, 12:07:42 PM »

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2018, 07:26:31 PM »

Rahxephon91

« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2018, 07:55:56 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/jaybainesmusic/leblanc-sessions

Stuff from my friend who is into music production.

EVOL

« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »
r u and EVOL doing shit 2gether

havent heard from him
https://soundcloud.com/wldmarks/21st/s-pC6t5

Been a bit busy, I had exams, been attempting and failing to finish some of my own shit and been preparing for a live gig.

Still up for a collab, just need a bit more time till my time gets freed up

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2018, 07:06:12 AM »
any of you nerds watch pensados place? it's really fascinating watching a veteran engineer chop it up with his contemporaries from a a bunch of different genres. as an old school roc stan i really enjoyed the mike dean and young guru episodes, but his random loosies on various vsts and techniques are also great

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2018, 01:46:42 AM »

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2018, 01:38:57 PM »
Was listening to some Turkish music and it was actually kind of distressing to hear sounds I've never heard before. Didn't like it at all. Then I looked into it some more and it's because babies develop the full range of notes they hear really early, just like phonemes (and it's for the same reason). I thought that was interesting.
每天生气

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2018, 04:08:19 PM »
Was listening to some Turkish music and it was actually kind of distressing to hear sounds I've never heard before. Didn't like it at all. Then I looked into it some more and it's because babies develop the full range of notes they hear really early, just like phonemes (and it's for the same reason). I thought that was interesting.
Turkish classical music, I assume?

Try this: