Author Topic: Shadow Of The Tomb Raider  (Read 6518 times)

chronovore

• relapsed dev

kingv

Re: Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2018, 12:32:44 AM »
Imo this game falls victim to the winter gaming glut.  I want to play it but have like 4 games in front of it.

Coax

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2018, 01:23:28 AM »
Why are journo's so down on this game. Did Square Enix forgot to wire the money or something?

Anyway, play Shadow of the Tomb Raider fuck the journo's.

So far easily the best in this trilogy and this is an awesome trilogy.

Watched Sterling's impressions and was ironically sold more on it despite him considering it the blandest of the three. Kept thinking, 'this looks a lot more like my kind of thing' throughout. The other two didn't interest me.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 05:52:45 PM by Coax »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2018, 11:39:55 AM »
Why are journo's so down on this game. Did Square Enix forgot to wire the money or something?

Anyway, play Shadow of the Tomb Raider fuck the journo's.

So far easily the best in this trilogy and this is an awesome trilogy.

Watched Sterling's impressions and was ironically sold more on it despite him considering it the blandest of the three. Kept thinking, 'this looks a lot more like my kind of thing' throughout. The other two didn't interest me.

Wouldn't get this if the other two didn't seem that interesting.
ど助平

Rahxephon91

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2018, 12:01:06 PM »
I’m surprised people are positive about this here.

So far I’ve found it yawn inducing. The lack of combat hurts, but what combat is here is awful. If you don’t stealth it you some really shitty gunplay matched with almost PS2 level ai that just slowly walks towards you. There’s not even that many puzzles. I feel all I do is walk forward and swim.

Svejk

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »
Messing with the photomode...  Tried to get some good psychopath Lara grabs, but that perfect shot won't allow camera positioning.   :-\

kingv

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2018, 05:06:38 PM »
Are those shots PC or Bone?

They look really nice.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2018, 05:15:07 PM »

They look really nice.

PS4.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2018, 06:17:25 PM »

They look really nice.
Thanks!  Yeah, like bork said, it's the base PS4.  The environments in this game easily rival ND, IMHO.

kingv

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2018, 06:24:36 PM »
I’m impressed with the lighting for base PS4.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2018, 06:43:52 PM »
This game is really impressive graphics wise. Looks so much better than Rise of the Tomb Raider.

They completely fixed the shimmering that game had and added in beautiful vegetation and high-res textures.
The texture work in this game is just  :mouf

Also using their snow tech for mud was a stroke of genius. Not to mention the water looks gorgeous in this game.
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2018, 07:22:16 PM »
That Eye of the Serpent mission. That’s what this game has been missing. What a well paced mission with plenty of plat forming, action, and set pieces. I wish the whole game was like this.

The outfit limitations in this games later half is stupid though.

Svejk

« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2018, 10:14:29 PM »
The outfit limitations in this games later half is stupid though.
I really hate that they do this.  For someone that changes outfits in games every 5-10 minutes, that shit kinda pisses me off. 

Svejk

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2018, 10:05:06 AM »
Just got to the oil refinery.  Had to stop myself last night, otherwise I would've easily stayed up till 3-4am...  shit seems to be really starting to ramp up.

More photomode messin'...
spoiler (click to show/hide)

[close]

Rahxephon91

« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2018, 09:55:11 PM »
Well I beat it and well I think it's the worst one of the three. It's not terrible or anything, but I just don't really know what they wanted to do with this game. I guess they wanted to tone down the action and add more exploration, but did they really? There's more tombs and stuff to find in the world sure and I guess you can turn off hints which makes everything more challenging. Yet honestly the the challenge tunes and world structure aren't much beyond what Rise did. So I don't really think they went beyond that game. Which kind of adds to the feeling of "yeah they just made another game". Now I like the challenge tombs in Rise and Shadow. They are amazing to look at, fun to complete, and thankfully pretty short. I mean in general this game is amazing looking with fantastic texture work and attention to detail.

That said I still found most of the game kind of boring. There is a lack of combat and well Rise and the Reboot had pretty fun combat. Here it feels honestly tacked on and lame when it happens. The gunplay never feels tight almost as if the aiming is pretty wonky, not responsive, never aiming where you want it it exactly. Enemies don't respond and feel like you've hit them. But it's also weird that there's an emphasis on not shooting and the game makes it clear. When it wants you to chose stealth during those combat sequences gunplay is'nt a fun choice. You die really quick and the enemy ai rather just charge you anyway. It dosen't work in these aim down the shoulder type shooters which need enemies to be positioned in front of you and when you need to retreat, you retreat to potions that can place the enemy in front of you. During these "please use stealth" parts the enemies come at you all over and it's annoying. The arenas don't feel built for shooting as they lack say the vertaicality of Uncharted 4/Legacy and the cover of a Gears like game. Yet the few times the game does say fuck stealth the game adheres to how you do these type of shooters.

I guess I just wanted more solid shooting and cool set pieces. I feel the other games had these in spades. While also having solid platforming and tombs. Which this game has, but dosen't have anything else to make up for what it dosen't.

And man is the story stupid. I don't really care about these native people where the important ones speak English. There poorly defined rebellion that seems to be basically be out in the open. I don't care about the Trinity leader who  I guess is only a Trinity leader on the weekends or something. The end of the world stakes and character stuff Lara goes through seems to sidetracked by some tribal conflict that is lame and dosen't at all mesh with the Trinity plot line at all.

It was ok, but I probably won't be replaying it like I have the others.

kingv

« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2018, 06:25:08 PM »
Seriously considering buying this bomba now that’s its $45 on Xbox live.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2018, 06:27:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure it will be even cheaper come black Friday.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »
Like with Deus Ex backseat developers are killing a cool franchise again.
This is pretty much all you could want from a Tomb Raider game.
🤴