Author Topic: Shadow Of The Tomb Raider  (Read 6468 times)

nachobro

• Live Más
Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
« on: April 29, 2018, 04:18:41 PM »

Does anyone else care about these new Tomb Raider games? They aren't especially deep but they are fun and I enjoy the skill tree and crafting stuff. The second was a big improvement over the first one so I'm looking forward to this game. Also they look really good on PC in ultrawide so that doesn't hurt.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 01:31:34 PM by bork »

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Sept 14
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 04:39:17 PM »
I basically treat them like Marvel movies. They're a decent single time popcorn flick kinda deal.

Rise of the Tomb Raider started annoying me with Patronizing Laura Kraft shouting what you have to do if you so much as stand still for a second. Let me play the damn game and shut the fuck up. It's why I enjoyed it less than the first one. The first one I found to be a more gameplay driven Uncharted game.

kingv

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 05:34:24 PM »
I liked both of the last ones well enough to beat them (and immediately trade them in).

The new one really needs to get the input lag fixed, however. That was a yuuuuge problem in rise on Xbox.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 06:02:01 PM »
During the expedition Lara makes a decision which sets off a Mayan apocalypse.
man, women amirite

Unlike the previous entries in the Tomb Raider reboot series which were primarily developed by Crystal Dynamics, Eidos Montréal assumed major development duties for Shadow of the Tomb Raider while Crystal Dynamics provided additional development.
I was wondering a bit about this since Crystal Dynamics is making Disney's Marvel's The Avengers and I assumed that had to be coming out around the films sometime.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 06:20:16 PM »
i really liked the last two games, but good god please put some challenge in this one. the others were so incredibly easy, even when you bumped up the difficulty and avoided upgrades. also let me turn off that shit that's like "HEY THERE'S A SECRET RIGHT OVER HERE!" that stuff is great for all the people that like more assistance in their games, but dammit i want to be catered to also.
pcp

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 07:07:16 PM »
I wan't to like them but they don't go that extra mile to do any of their aspects phenomenal aside from graphics. I still play them but it's like a popcorn flick only not as entertaining as Uncharted or TLOU while still having better gameplay. It's weird.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 07:08:19 PM »
Hopefully they continue the seconds trend of just giving you a giant place with a bunch of dungeons instead of focusing on being linear. Some of the best areas in Rise were all side quest collect shit related.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2018, 08:02:27 AM »

Does anyone else care about these new Tomb Raider games? They aren't especially deep but they are fun and I enjoy the skill tree and crafting stuff. The second was a big improvement over the first one so I'm looking forward to this game. Also they look really good on PC in ultrawide so that doesn't hurt.

I liked TOMB RAIDER, but didn’t yet pick up RISE OF and a, ambivalent about SHADOW OF until someone says it’s good.  EIDOS Montreal. They did the tacked on multi of the first game, which didn’t spin my prayer wheels.

Svejk

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2018, 08:44:39 AM »
I'll bite Day 1.  As long as CD still has a hand in it, it'll deliver the same as the prior 2 in alot of ways.  Eidos Montreal do a pretty good job with Deus Ex, IMO, so I got some optimism.  I just hope there's as many interchangeable outfits as Rise (20th Anniversary Ed) had.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2018, 09:12:00 AM »
I have it on my gamefly
fat

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2018, 09:43:57 AM »
I liked the first (reboot) Tomb Raider, I actually 100%'d it, but I never got around to playing Rise.
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 10:41:48 AM »
I hope Shadow goes in a more "supernatural" element that the original did. Rise was much too grounded in reality for me, and not as interesting.
fat

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 07:09:45 AM »
What? They're basically the same game. Asian sun god zombies got switched out for Christian god zombies.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 08:55:34 AM »
I don't think it is at all man, sorry. The entire climax was better than Rise's stupid big rugged mercenary fight too. Boring
fat

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2018, 01:49:21 PM »

Some excellent murdering going on here

Svejk

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2018, 02:09:24 PM »
I don't even care about the story.. the stealth, Rambo gameplay is insta-purchase for me.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2018, 05:02:15 PM »
I liked the other two post-reboot Tomb Raiders, so I'll get around to playing this eventually.
dog

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2018, 05:14:34 PM »
So, uh, raiding tombs still just a side-thing, or what?

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2018, 07:46:00 PM »
I'm in, but I still haven't played RoTR :shrug

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2018, 08:20:26 PM »
Never finished Rise but I enjoyed both games

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 01:49:54 PM »
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2018, 01:57:36 PM »
 :comeon

Svejk

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2018, 02:01:17 PM »
While everybody will be all up in Spider-man shootin' webs, I'll be raidin' all up in Lara's Tombs.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2018, 02:05:30 PM »
While everybody will be all up in Spider-man shootin' webs, I'll be raidin' all up in Lara's Tombs.
:exxy
ど助平

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »
- Destiny 2 Forsaken
- Tomb Raider
- Spider-Man
- Dragon Quest 11
- Valkyria Chronicles 4

That's gonna be a fat yikes from me dawg
fat

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Shadow Of The Tomb Raider
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2018, 01:32:56 PM »
It's out on early access (AKA if you gave them more $$ for the deluxe and higher-tier digital versions).  Just started playing and the first thing you get is a screen promoting how the team who made the game is very diverse and filled with diverse people and diversity and we want to promote diversity and welcome you to the diverse diversity of Tomb Raider.  Hoo-boy.

And it just locked up when I tried to go into photo mode.  Off to a great start!
:neogaf
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
It wasn't locking up. Just trying to avert the male gaze.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2018, 02:04:31 PM »
It wasn't locking up. Just trying to avert the male gaze.

LOL.  I tried it on my laptop and realized that I didn't update the Geforce drivers the other day, so here's hoping that's why.  This was right at the start of the game when Lara is in a literally painful spot and I wanted to see if the photo mode will actually let you make her smile anywhere.  :lol
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »
Nope- locked up again when I tried photo mode.  OK, will not try it in this part of the game.
:badass
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »
Works fine after that first real-time segment.  You can pick from a small variety of facial expressions.  It's goofy as fuck.  :lol
ど助平

eleuin

• perennial loser

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »
Last one was more exciting then UC4 so yeah

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2018, 03:19:52 PM »
Thinking about picking this up for the Xbone X. Really liked the other 2 in this trilogy.
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2018, 03:26:21 PM »
Is the Day 1 patch applied already for early access?   My shits pre-loaded and so ready to go come Friday evening.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2018, 05:09:06 PM »
Is the Day 1 patch applied already for early access?   My shits pre-loaded and so ready to go come Friday evening.

I guess?  Dunno.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2018, 08:30:46 AM »
Is it me, or is there currently no option to purchase the season pass alone on the PS store?  :wtf

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2018, 08:31:15 AM »
The first thing you see when playing:

The funny thing is...it's hard to say that they went full SJW here, because Lara has noticeably enlarged...assets in this latest game.   :lol
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2018, 08:34:14 AM »
So... the Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the shade her massive tits throw?

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2018, 09:11:19 AM »
Initial story spoiler-musings:

Lara goes tomb-raiding in Mexico, chasing after the Trinity group again.  Pretty much follows the end of Rise Of The Tomb Raider.
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shortly after you start playing, you end up in a tomb/temple underground and Lara finds an ornate dagger.  She seems to know that she shouldn't pick it up, but does so anyway.  :lol ::) :lol  Cue cliche temple starts breaking apart and you gotta get the fuck out segment.

Then once you fight some bad guys, the Trinity group leader pops up and takes the dagger.  He knows what it is and says it's actually a key and that a box it opens is needed.  Couldn't tell if that meant that the box was in the now-destroyed temple or somewhere else, but he says that without the box, a literal apocalypse will happen, and then a massive flood comes and destroys the town, killing tons of people including children.

So after what should be several years of experience from the previous two games, Lara acted like a careless moron and killed a bunch of people, with the implication that even worse shit is going to happen.  She doesn't even offer to try and help anyone and just wants to move on to the next location in Peru.  It's Jonah who says he's not going to go anywhere until he helps people first.  So maybe this is the SJW stuff coming into play.  If they wanted to make her unlikable, then they just succeeded.   Even though the Trinity boss wants to use the dagger to remake the world (in his image) and is clearly an evil dick -he has archaeologists working for him shot after getting what he wants- at least he didn't cause mass destruction that caused the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands of people.   :lol #trinitywasright
[close]

:dead
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2018, 09:18:20 AM »
The game's photo mode is fucked up and will let you make Lara look like a total psychopath as she smiles standing in front of dead bodies or even while in the midst of killing someone.  :lol

So... the Shadow of the Tomb Raider is the shade her massive tits throw?

Or her rear  :doge  There are some real-time cut scenes that you just can't take any other way than "LOOK AT HER ASS!!!"
 :birb
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 09:32:07 AM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »
Also had some weird monitor issues when playing on my desktop last night.  Colors, especially blacks, were washed out and the brightness was too high even when turning it down.  Apparently there's some weird stuff that happens if you use exclusive full-screen, so will try turning that off.

Is it me, or is there currently no option to purchase the season pass alone on the PS store?  :wtf

Probably because the game isn't (officially) out yet.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2018, 10:10:33 AM »
Getting huge "Uncharted Raider" vibes from this game.  Way more than the other titles, probably because of the setting and story segments where you're forced to just walk through crowds or areas while Lara is talking to someone.
ど助平

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2018, 10:18:44 AM »
Just got a 1070 so this should be looking extra good this weekend  :mynicca

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2018, 10:22:06 AM »
Just got a 1070 so this should be looking extra good this weekend  :mynicca

That's what I'm using it runs nicely!  Better than Rise did at very high/ultra settings.  Am also impressed how well it runs on my laptop (1060).
ど助平

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »
The first thing you see when playing:

(Image removed from quote.)

The funny thing is...it's hard to say that they went full SJW here, because Lara has noticeably enlarged...assets in this latest game.   :lol

Ubisoft has been doing this for a while.
©@©™

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »
ezio don't got dem lara tiddies tho

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 10:38:09 AM »
ezio don't got dem lara tiddies tho

Cleopatra tho, what a slut. :noah
©@©™

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2018, 11:03:22 AM »
Those mud textures are... something else.

Are we talking about Lara's panties?
 :hitler
OH!

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2018, 05:19:17 PM »
Holy fuck this game is intense.
Intro is already harder than Rise of the Shoot Raider (which was also a fun game btw)
Feels less 'automatic' in terms of movement.

It looks so freaking good in 4K

Wow  :doge
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2018, 10:54:39 AM »
This shits good.  I'm findin' and raidin' tombs and crypts every 20 minutes it seems.  Only got to the first populated hub (Kuwaq?), but I'm enjoying the hell out this.  Eidos Montreal has done a fantastic job.   The music is great, the environments look beautiful, lush and dense and the gameplay is as solid as prior installments. 

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2018, 12:51:13 PM »
This shits good.  I'm findin' and raidin' tombs and crypts every 20 minutes it seems.  Only got to the first populated hub (Kuwaq?), but I'm enjoying the hell out this.  Eidos Montreal has done a fantastic job.   The music is great, the environments look beautiful, lush and dense and the gameplay is as solid as prior installments.

I didn't get a chance to play it much over the weekend.
:stahp

It made me shelve Spider-Man pretty much immediately, which I figured would happen.
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2018, 01:37:08 PM »

It made me shelve Spider-Man pretty much immediately, which I figured would happen.
A little unrelated, but I like how Steam shows more detailed game stats.  I was peeking at your progress for Shadow and it shows how many of whatever has been collected/viewed/achieved.   Wish Sony had more of that other than just trophies. 

Anywho,  One thing for sure... there's been alot less combat so far.  I know they went for more exploration and stealth this go round, but I wonder if it's gonna ramp up some... I'm upgrading weapons... but barely have had a chance to use them.   Still loving it, it just feels different, but old school too.  There's been some weird texture issues from time to time though.  Her wet, shininess looked way too glossed at one point, and another time, one of here shirt tops were completely blacked out.  Weird.. 

Now I have to wait till Friday to play again though.  :-\ 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 01:45:35 PM by Svejk »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2018, 01:57:47 PM »

A little unrelated, but I like how Steam shows more detailed game stats.  I was peeking at your progress for Shadow and it shows how many of whatever has been collected/viewed/achieved.   Wish Sony had more of that other than just trophies. 

Anywho,  One thing for sure... there's been alot less combat so far.  I know they went for more exploration and stealth this go round, but I wonder if it's gonna ramp up some... I'm upgrading weapons... but barely have had a chance to use them.   Still loving it, it just feels different, but old school too.  There's been some weird texture issues from time to time though.  Her wet, shininess looked way too glossed at one point, and another time, one of here shirt tops were completely blacked out.  Weird.. 

Now I have to wait till Friday to play again though.  :-\

I had some issues with the overall display being too "light" (had to turn off exclusive full screen which may or may not have been the problem) and also had Lara's face and hair appear kind of messed up during one session.  It seemed fatter than normal, she had glassy, grey eyes with no pupils, and gray/black hair.  Looked like an anime character.  :lol
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 02:05:39 PM by bork »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2018, 02:20:10 PM »
and also had Lara's face and hair appear kind of messed up during one session.  It seemed fatter than normal, she had glassy, grey eyes with no pupils, and gray/black hair.  Looked like an anime character.  :lol
Yes!  That's exactly what it looked like!  :lol  It happened during the cut scene after the jaguar fight. 

Rahxephon91

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2018, 05:24:04 PM »
Man is this game boring.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2018, 07:03:31 PM »
Had to write a quote and proposal today and could not play  :fbm

Anyhow, based on my recommendations two more people bought it.

I couldn't save Deus Ex. But I will save Tomb Raider and you better help  :ufup
🤴

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #56 on: September 22, 2018, 11:57:24 AM »
Finally got around playing in the Jungle in Peru and finding the first real Tombs and Crypts.

This game looks astonishing. Hits the right tone and controls like a dream without being too easy and 'automatic' like the previous one.  :aah
🤴

Svejk

« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2018, 12:37:33 PM »
This game is awesome.. dabbling in more combat and bigger, more complex puzzles.  I haven't even gotten to paititi (large central village).  What's weird,  i played for about 8 hours last weekend,  it says i was at 20% complete.  I played for 4-5 hours last night, now at 23%.   :yeshrug   Anybody whoever liked TR at some point in their lives should play this installment.

Svejk

« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2018, 12:32:51 PM »
Holy monkey, is Paititi fucking huge!  :o  It's not Novigrad scale insanity, but a shit ton to explore.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #59 on: September 23, 2018, 05:38:33 PM »
Why are journo's so down on this game. Did Square Enix forgot to wire the money or something?

Anyway, play Shadow of the Tomb Raider fuck the journo's.

So far easily the best in this trilogy and this is an awesome trilogy.
🤴