Author Topic: Anyone know anything about soundbars?  (Read 714 times)

Bebpo

Anyone know anything about soundbars?
« on: May 15, 2018, 07:19:23 PM »
I'm trying to setup a tv setup in my living room which has never had a tv. It's not going to be what I use for myself (I've got a separate home theater mancave). It's just for when people are over, so quality is pretty expendable.
I'm planning on getting a cheap projector because I have a big white wall (and can put a cheap screen on if I need to) for 100-200" screen. Will run HDMI from PS3 or PS4 to it for video.

For audio I was looking into getting a cheap 5.1 setup w/receiver, but that's still gonna cost like $500-1k.
So I start seeing these soundbar things. Looks like they have optical/hdmi/rca in.

If I get like a $100 soundbar can I run straight from PS3/PS4 audio-out without a receiver and blast frontal stereo audio out? Because that seems like a really cheap way (and without a ton of wiring) to take care of the audio while the projector takes care of the video and then I'm done and can have a movie streaming/bd/game player thing for the living room when people are over like once a month.

I mean I can always upgrade later. For now I just want something good enough. Would a soundbar work for that?

G The Resurrected

Re: Anyone know anything about soundbars?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:29:56 PM »
Since you are on a budget I'm gonna suggest Vizio. They aren't the best, but they are for the price. For your needs it's a one and done VIZIO SmartCast SB3651-E6 5.1. You get all the functionality of 5.1 with not much cost and it sounds surprisingly good. If that's too much for you then check out the VIZIO SmartCast SB3821-D6 38" 2.1. A soundbar isn't a replacement for a proper system, but what it offers is a nice inbetween. You get the benefit of better sound and in this case you get some new tech with smart casting ability so you can play audio through the device without the tv on.

Another one if you want something a bit bigger sounding: VIZIO 40" 3.1ch Sound Bar System SmartCast (SB4031-D5)

I replaced my 1200 watt 7.1 sound system with a Vizio and have been really happy. I'm waiting on their Atmos solutions to start coming out later this year.

This is what I currently have and the price on the refurb is reasonable. (Get your ass a square trade warranty from Amazon)
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=27741&gclid=CjwKCAjwiurXBRAnEiwAk2GFZnEiJY1ZkD6KxfRbV4BeJ4uChhoUHgBZQw2slAhpVdr_-CIPw864bBoCSGUQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 07:35:04 PM by G The Resurrected »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 08:00:17 PM »
I use both 2.0 and 2.1 soundbars for my TVs and they work great.  Wouldn't bother going with a 5.1 if you're planning on getting something much better later on.  You can find some pretty good deals at Costco and on Amazon- I got a Vizio 2.1 sound bar with subwoofer for less than $150 at Costco and Amazon's own branded 2.1 soundbar with a built-in subwoofer is like $95 right now.  If you want to go 2.0 it's like sixty bucks.  The Vizio is definitely better and I think worth the extra $50 over the Amazon model.
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:14:32 PM »
Thanks, I did a bunch of research and went for the Yamaha YAS-107 for $180. I liked the HDMI inputs and lack of a subwoofer (I don't really like subs and I was reading that with budget soundbars/sub setups sometimes you get less than clear dialogue because it mixes with the sub range). Can get something better later on.

Or if this sucks I can just return it because got it on amazon.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »
I bought a cheapo soundbar from amazon (the amazon brand for like $65) It's not great but certainly good enough if you're not using it for any audiophile type stuff.
que