Author Topic: Vampyr (Remember Me, Life is Strange Dev)  (Read 2524 times)

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
Vampyr (Remember Me, Life is Strange Dev)
« on: May 18, 2018, 01:13:18 PM »

Game has gone gold and is out next month. Might be a tough sell for $60 but looks to have high replayability.

Pacifist run  :hyper

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Re: Vampyr (Remember Me, Life is Strange Dev)
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 01:37:17 PM »
I am very excited about this one.

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 01:43:28 PM »
Yeah, game looks neat. Hopefully it turns out okay.

kingv

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 02:28:10 PM »
Combat looks... bad

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »
Combat looks... bad

"From the makers of Remember Me"
©@©™

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 02:47:17 PM »
Combat looks... bad

"From the makers of Remember Me"

"Games for people that hate gameplay but love feels"
yar

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 05:25:45 PM »
I like both, kinda depends on the game if it's good enough in other aspects to offset some of the lackluster parts. I loved DA:I even though it had crappy combat but Witcher 3 on the other hand could not distract me from that aspect. It's gets even more weird because i would still rank Witcher 3 as the better game even though i didn't like it nearly as much.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊

Let's Cyber

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 01:08:22 AM »
Review embargo is up 6pm EST on the 4th.

Probably going to pick this up unless there are some major technical or mechanical issues.

Coax

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2018, 02:54:34 AM »
Maybe it's a nitpick but you'd think they could have given a vampire a less goofy jogging gait.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »

Based on this review, it sounds like a great game.
:whew

Gonna get this sucker day 1.
OH!

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2018, 07:50:20 PM »
PC version is $37.50 on Green Man Gaming.
dog

Coax

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2018, 12:40:22 AM »
Devs held an AMA on Reddit.

- 15-30 hours playtime
- 4 endings
- No NG+
- Each of the 60 total unique NPCs to have their own 'stories, relationships and secrets'
- Can unlock all powers in one run, though there are two specialized branches that would require separate playthroughs to experience
- Patients' blood can be improved via different qualities of medicine, leading to higher XP when killed
- Alternatively can play a straight doctor role without feeding on anyone
- Said to be no DLC to be added, though it seems their pre-order DLC will be available for purchase after release
- No pre-load before launch
- No cosmetic character customization apart from the pre-order DLC.
- Ultra-wide (21:9) is supported on PC but cinematics and menus will be letterboxed.

Didn't respond to question about console performance or the very late review embargo. No GOG release.

4chan appears to have some impressions from early copies.

- The cost of skill unlocks later in the game rises, however you can respec at any time at no cost
- Skill tree 'barely affects the way you play'
- Weapon upgrades hard to come by
- Game limits NPCs you can kill via a 'mesmerize' system, a threshold that must be met in order to kill them. This skill is leveled by advancing the plot.
- Poster impressions: overall it's just 'fine', saw a 6/10 posted, combat is 'serviceable', 'meh-tier story'

Let's Cyber

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2018, 07:09:29 AM »
If you're worried about polish and super high production values, stay away. If you're ok with some eurojank, I think this is greater than the sum of its parts especially if you dig the setting.

This is much more of an adventure game/detective story than I thought, which I like. A lot of collecting information, discovering tidbits of backstory through dialogue and well, stalking. I'm trying to do a no-kill run (of the civilians, anyway. I've killed a few other things that randomly attacked while just navigating the world) and I haven't hit any walls yet preventing me from playing how I want. Curing people of illnesses improves not just their XP potential but also the district as a whole, so there is tangible incentive to helping folks out in your role as a doctor and not just murdering everything.

I've been trying to avoid combat as much as possible. It isn't great, don't buy this for the combat. Maybe it is more enjoyable with stronger powers unlocked but the basic mechanics are just okish and kinda jank. I almost wish it was cut from the game entirely. Theoretically, the game could mostly be conversations with XP going toward unlocking more dialogue options but I understand why they thought they'd need to put combat in there for a bigger audience.   

Hard to gauge the overall story right now but the dialogue is fine and the characters are mostly well written. The setting and atmosphere are awesome. Facial animations leave a lot to be desire but that is far from a game breaker. Overall I'm enjoying it a lot so far, warts and all.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 11:44:35 AM »
Oh I thought this was an rpg..
What

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »
I bought Remember Me when it was ~$20 and I enjoyed it, will probably do the same for Vampyr.
©@©™

kingv

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2018, 12:11:45 PM »
I feel like this one is going to drop in price quickly.

I almost bought it with GCU+$10 preorder,  but I’m already working on like three games with about 4 in the hopper.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2018, 04:20:07 PM »
I'm waiting on a price drop too, partly because I'm still going through AC:O.

Let's Cyber

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 09:03:26 PM »
I bought Remember Me when it was ~$20 and I enjoyed it, will probably do the same for Vampyr.
I'm waiting on a price drop too, partly because I'm still going through AC:O.
A good call. Plus they should have a few more patches out by the time it drops.

This is definitely worth playing.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 02:28:34 AM »
Vampyr's been pretty good so far, or at least I'm enjoying it. It's definitely got a bit of the ol' Eurojank, and it can be a fairly dry game, but I've always liked cool, gothic vampire mythos and this is pretty heavily steeped in that [it is World War 1-era London, after all]. Some mentioned earlier that it's a bit of an adventure game, and there is some of that, but it's more like Remember Me than Life is Strange, it's got questing, random enemy encounters, and RPG stats/levelling, but with more of a focus on doing investigative work and talking to people than most RPGs. It actually reminds me a bit of the Arkham Batman game, in a way, though with combat that isn't nearly as good. I mean, the combat is decent enough, and once you start unlocking more powers it does get better, but it's still pretty simple and almost all encounters have you using the same strategy. Wish they could have introduced some more variety there, but so far I'm haven't seen anything [bosses enemies are tougher and have a lot more HP, but have similar move sets to regular enemies of the same type].

So, yeah, it worth giving it a shot if you're into vampire stuff and the game isn't full price.
dog

Let's Cyber

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 01:48:33 PM »
Finished my first playthrough. Zero civilians killed. There is a neat story twist(s) which you shouldn't spoil if you haven't played yet. It certainly felt like I got the "good" ending.

You can level up powers without murder but you'll miss out on a lot of XP. There are a few really shitty civilians in the game which make it really tempting to kill but held off. Everyone will die on my next playthrough.  :doge

It has some cool concepts if you're willing to overlook the jank. I'd definitely recommend this on sale for $30 or less if you find the setting interesting.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 02:36:49 PM »
I ended up screwing over the docks district accidentally because I didn't do enough investigating. :-\
dog

Let's Cyber

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2018, 08:11:33 AM »
I ended up screwing over the docks district accidentally because I didn't do enough investigating. :-\
Were you not able to
spoiler (click to show/hide)
turn Sean Hampton?  I was curious what would happen if you just spared him and how that would affect the district.
[close]

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2018, 09:48:06 AM »
Were you not able to
turn Sean Hampton?  I was curious what would happen if you just spared him and how that would affect the district.
[close]

If you spare him, he turns into a feral skal and kills everyone living in the docks. :-\
[close]
dog

Let's Cyber

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2018, 07:11:59 PM »
Damn, that's a pretty steep penalty all things considered. I can't imagine losing one pillar is enough to "ruin" a playthrough, though

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2018, 06:39:54 AM »
So I read if you hook a keyboard up to your PS4, hover above a skill and hold P on your keyboard you will get infinite XP.

Lol
What

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2018, 09:34:07 AM »
Damn, that's a pretty steep penalty all things considered. I can't imagine losing one pillar is enough to "ruin" a playthrough, though

Turns out that not everyone died. A few people went missing [they became enemies that you can encounter and fight] and the district's health went way down, but I managed to get things stabilized.
[close]
dog

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2018, 07:53:15 PM »
Liking this, but I can see the shitty combat getting me to quit the game during a tricky boss fight or something. They really did a shitty job in basically all aspects of combat.
serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2018, 09:59:58 PM »
It's got some RPG elements [combat, exp, quests, and such], but a lot of the game is talking to people and investigating.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2018, 01:40:09 AM »
It's not really worth full price [$50 or $60 or whatever it's going for], but if there's a sell for $30 or less you should definitely give it a shot.
dog