Author Topic: Tech News, Rumors, & Reviews  (Read 2518 times)

Tasty

Tech News, Rumors, & Reviews
« on: May 31, 2018, 07:28:12 AM »
Just wanted a thread to gush and hype shit like the corporate manchild I am.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:57:27 PM by Tasty Meat »

zomgee

• We've *all*
Re: Tech News & Rumors
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 08:02:52 AM »
I heard that Mario 4 is hidden inside Mario 3. You just have to beat it on a certain day in less than 10 minutes.

Source: my uncle at Nintendo.
rub

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 08:05:43 AM »

ど助平

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 08:52:05 AM »
The internet is a series of tubes.
©ZH

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:04:24 AM »
ど助平

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 09:43:56 AM »
Do you think your obsession with plugging new things into your sockets is a metaphor for something else?

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 10:41:56 AM »
Just in time for Computex.

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 01:10:04 PM »
I bought some wireless waterproof earbuds

Does this go in this thread?

Tasty

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 03:31:37 PM »
I bought some wireless waterproof earbuds

Does this go in this thread?

Yes.

I caved and bought the Pixel Buds last week when they were $30 off. 😬

I already bought the first Google Assistant headphones (the Bose QuietComfort 35 II), but the over-ear design isn't so great for the summer outdoors. It's absolutely perfect for the office though, the noise cancellation is so good.

But I needed something cooler and in-ear for walking around the city so said "Fuck it." There's way better Bluetooth earbuds out there at cheaper prices, but I'm interested in trying out Google's experiment. Maybe I'll hate them and return them.

They did get a software update last week with a few new features, which surprised me since I don't generally think of headphones being able to get software updates, and it inspired a lot of confidence for the Pixel Buds' future in me.

Will post impressions when I get them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 03:51:19 PM »
I redid my PC setup.  Built a new desk using the popular "IKEA HAX DESK MOD!!!!" which is just 'gaming setup Youtuber-speak' for taking two Alex drawer units and putting a tabletop or kitchen counter on top of them.  I went for the latter and now have a much larger six-foot desk.  Then I got this huge LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide IPS Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate.

My review: It gud, it gud.  Upgraded from a 29" 60Hz monitor.  That extra 5" (insert joke here) really makes a huge difference.  Was trying to go for dual monitors on an arm, but it just didn't work out and this monitor is so large that it really doesn't matter.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:55:23 PM by bork »
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 03:55:19 PM »
I redid my PC setup.  Got a new desk and this huge LG 34UC79G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide IPS Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate.

(Image removed from quote.)

My review: It gud, it gud.  Upgraded from a 29" 60Hz monitor.  That extra 5" (insert joke here) really makes a huge difference.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2018, 03:59:54 PM »
Seriously, these "desk hacks" are all over the place.  I mean, it makes sense since it really doesn't cost much to put together and you get a shitload of space.  I was watching a bunch of setup videos to get ideas for redoing my game room and there was nothing sadder than hearing people go "yeah, it's the same IKEA hack that everyone else has-- BUT I HAD IT BEFORE IT GOT POPULAR!!!"  :doge

Mine looks like this dude's, but without the riser and drawer units on both sides.  I even put a light strip on the back so I can be all COOL WITH GLOWING COLORS AND SHIT SO HIGH TECH CHECK OUT MY ULTIMATE GAMING SETUP ON YOUTUBE BRUH :pimp

ど助平

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Tech News, Rumors, & Reviews
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2018, 04:04:09 PM »
I use my wifes old desk that you can adjust in height with a controller, so I switch positions often, sometimes low so I can put my feet on the desk etc

Tasty

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2018, 03:29:35 PM »
I got into the new YouTube Music!! So excited! 🤩

Coax

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
New vivo Nex ad. They seem to be the first to bring to market an under-screen fingerprint sensor, and additionally did away with any top notch (instead opting for a pop-out selfie camera).

Tasty

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 04:58:56 PM »
Pixel 3 :drool

Crash Dummy

• teleiophile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2018, 03:10:09 AM »
where?? i've been with apple since iphone 4 and currently have an x but it's getting stale and boring now so seriously tempted to jump over to botnet google after trying out a pixel 2 xl

Tasty

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2018, 03:21:23 AM »
where?? i've been with apple since iphone 4 and currently have an x but it's getting stale and boring now so seriously tempted to jump over to botnet google after trying out a pixel 2 xl

Will be released in October like usual. Hold onto your butt til then. ;)

Tasty

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 02:12:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/PhoneDesigner/status/1006343021649121281

:jawalrus Probably gonna go with the smaller non-XL this year though.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 11:18:24 AM by Tasty Meat »

nudemacusers

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 02:16:01 PM »
notch tho  :doge
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »
notch tho  :doge

I thought your sentiment would be "anyone who doesn't have an iPhone X is ghetto trash."

Also, the non-XL Pixel 3 will not have a notch (the face will resemble the Pixel 2 XL, actually.)

nudemacusers

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2018, 05:41:33 PM »
But I don’t have an iPhone X, and I am clearly not ghetto trash.  :doge

spoiler (click to show/hide)
i never buy rev a Apple save the iPad pro but that’s just a fat iPad
[close]
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Tasty

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2018, 05:46:49 PM »
But I don’t have an iPhone X, and I am clearly not ghetto trash.  :doge

i never buy rev a Apple save the iPad pro but that’s just a fat iPad
[close]

There's now a non-zero percent chance you're ghetto trash now. Sorry. Jobs is rolling in his grave because of you mac.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 10:07:22 AM »
iPhone X puts the X in sex. :drool
©ZH

Tasty

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 10:13:17 AM »

And the iPhone SE puts the SE in sex? :lol

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 10:15:26 AM »
iphone is cold busted. Unless Apple delivers dah goodz this year I’m going to Android
...for a year until I realize I don’t like Android and then return to Apple for my next phone.
[close]
serge

Brehvolution

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 10:42:59 AM »

And the iPhone SE puts the SE in sex? :lol

No, the SE is for the poor'se.
©ZH

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »
:bow iPhone SE :bow2

Tasty

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 01:39:44 PM »
Pixel 3 SE is probably coming next summer. 8)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2018, 09:20:28 AM »
Thoughts on the announced Surface Go?  It seems way underpowered and still too expensive for what they're offering.  For the base model starting at $399, you get:

Windows 10 in S mode
eMMC drive: 64GB
Intel® Pentium® Gold Processor 4415Y (a dual-core Kaby Lake chip that is almost two years old and worse than the Core M series)
4GB Of RAM
Intel HD Graphics 615
1800 x 1200 (217 PPI) resolution

And then you're gonna need to throw in another $100 for the type cover.  $500 for that?  Buy a fuckin' Chromebook or cheap Windows laptop.  :doge  For $600 I got my wife a really nice laptop with an actual SSD and way better processor earlier this year.

I get the feeling the public at large is going to feel like :no1curr
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 09:57:07 AM »
It's a nice idea, but I paid like $600-800 for my Surface 3 about 3 years ago and it's been doing me fine. Why they don't just make the Surface 3 a low-price option with the same specs it already had (and maybe a larger drive) I'll never understand.

Windows 10 S-mode just kills it from the get-go. Even in Education people are going to need legacy apps.

Honestly, the Surface is a nice piece of hardware, but MS completely bungles it. Just like the Original X-box was a nice piece of hardware (and hell, the 360 was a nice piece of hardware reliability issues aside), but their actual price-point and support/etc. leaves a lot to be desired.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 10:08:23 AM »
I think they said you can turn off the S-Mode.

But yeah, just get the prices down on one of these models and it will seem a lot more attractive.  I liked the Surface Pro 4 I had, but ultimately sold it off because it was just too heavy and clunky to use as a tablet, so I always used it as a laptop and decided to get rid of it and get a more powerful regular laptop instead.  Then I got a sub-$100 Kindle Fire HD to use for reading and comics.  Much better for handheld tablet use.

That said, the Surface hardware is pretty nice.  If I weren't all about dat gaming, I think a Surface Pro and dock would be all I'd need at home.
ど助平

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 10:18:49 AM »
Yeah, you can turn off S-mode for free supposedly. Which begs the question of "why did you enable it/make it in the first place?" :doge

I like mine for eBook reading and I use it for support in the field. The type-cover on the Surface 3 is alright, and I like being able to detatch the keyboard and flip it around to show output for something to someone else. But like you, I use mine more as a "laptop" than a tablet. The only time I use tablet mode is on reading comics digitally or if I'm wanting bigger print in the Kindle app.

Tasty

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 11:14:42 AM »
I actually think it's a pretty compelling product. Cost-wise, first party hardware like Macbooks, Surfaces, and Pixelbooks will always be more expensive. You're paying for the privilege of going first-party, which ostensibly means the tightest software/hardware connection.

For a $400 laptop, the only thing that really hurts the Surface Go is the RAM. Chromebooks can get away with 4 GB because they're running a browser. Not sure if Windows 10 can compete there.

Coax

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 04:40:13 AM »
This looks like the only decent folding phone/tablet I've seen so far.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2019, 05:16:28 AM »
This shit is going to get dead pixels so fast.