Author Topic: Pokemon GO Fuck Yourself 2018  (Read 3654 times)

213372bu

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
Re: Pokemon GO Fuck Yourself 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2018, 02:53:21 PM »
In the cartoon Pikachu beat Onyx by activating the sprinklers, what kind of bullshit is this?

Tasty

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 02:57:40 PM »
Buying the Pokeball for Mew. No shame.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 03:03:17 PM »
Yeah I just wanted a remake of Yellow. Not this Go stuff. It's going to be a pass.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 03:21:48 PM »
There is a bundle live on bestbuy for 79/GCU.

preordered on a whim JIC this gets donkey and nephew wants lol

Baiano19

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 10:38:37 PM »
Remember when we where kids and we mocked people who enjoyed Pokemon because it was a a kids game? Now Nintendo does a Pokemon game for kids and Pokemon fans are pissed now.

The irony is impressive.

Now, if they charge 60 bucks for this thing. Lol

Tasty

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 12:09:10 AM »
Remember when we where kids and we mocked people who enjoyed Pokemon because it was a a kids game? Now Nintendo does a Pokemon game for kids and Pokemon fans are pissed now.

The irony is impressive.

Now, if they charge 60 bucks for this thing. Lol

$60 MSRP is confirmed.

$100 for a bundle with the game and Pokeball.

I think it's less annoyed about pandering to kids than pandering to casuals. It doesn't bother me since I see it for the spinoff it is but I'm also not a big fan of Pokemon Go's """simplified""" catching mechanics.

TakingBackSunday

• Banana Grabber
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 11:09:03 AM »
I think this looks cute  :-[
püp

kingv

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 02:07:20 PM »
I don’t quite understand this game.

It looks like it’s basically co op Pokémon go, but without the walking around.

Mechanically that seems almost too simple. Like there has to be something else to it?

But it still might be fun to co op with a kid.

Tasty

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 02:09:02 PM »

Mechanically that seems almost too simple. Like there has to be something else to it?

Actual trainer battles are untouched. Only catching Pokemon has been simplified (as far as we know.)

You'll still need to beat eight gyms and thwart Team Rocket.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2018, 12:55:22 PM »
Seems like an odd half measure, will pick up from the used bin someday prolly

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »
Seems like an odd half measure, will pick up from the used bin someday prolly

The main games usually sell around the 10-20 million mark, which are sales any other developer would kill for.

However: Pokemon Go was downloaded 500 million times in its first five months.

It makes sense to me they're trying to rope some of that audience in, either getting them back into the main series of games, or introducing them to people whose only Pokemon experience was Go.

Normally I'd be upset about this but the assurances made about the 2019 title have eased me a bit. Let's Go is a pseudo-mainline, pseudo-remake, pseudo-spinoff Pokemon game, and an appetizer for 2019's main course.

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 02:03:47 PM »
I'm glad we're finally out of the 3DS ghetto and I'm down for the 2019 title.

I'm not mad this game exists (as Tasty points out, it makes sense for them to at least attempt to chase the expanded Pokemon Go crowd) I just don't have any interest in simplified mechanics and trimmed down roster. 

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2018, 02:42:08 PM »
Yeah I didn’t mean to question the fact that they’re gonna make a shyyyyyt ton of money of it

team filler

• filler
  • filler
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 03:15:52 PM »
the pricing sucks if they're trying to attract the expanded audience

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 12:54:49 PM »

Actual trainer battles are untouched. Only catching Pokemon has been simplified (as far as we know.)

My main question is what happens to the leveling and grind/exp for leveling up and evolution, esp to people that are used to training on wild pokes
dur

Tasty

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2018, 02:11:47 PM »

My main question is what happens to the leveling and grind/exp for leveling up and evolution, esp to people that are used to training on wild pokes

Sounds like the expanded Exp. Share which debuted in I think Black and White is no longer a separate item and is just integrated into the mechanics. (AKA, your entire party gains experience from battles, and catching Pokemon rewards experience too.) Which should make the main campaign easy as sin, but Pokemon single-player hasn't been hard since Gen 2 and even that is sort of generous. (Fuck Whitney's Miltank though, for real.)

I would expect all mainline mechanics, except for wild Pokemon battles, to be the same. But I don't know for sure.

Tasty

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 01:04:26 PM »

kingv

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 07:35:27 PM »
My 7 year old wants a 3ds pokemans game for Christmas...

Any ideas which one is the best to start on. She’s pretty good at reading, which makes me think she will be able to handle it, but obviously hasn’t really played any RPGs so I’m wondering if any is a particularly good babby mode game.

She says ultra moon is the one she wants but I know she doesn’t really know one from the next.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 07:41:49 PM »
My 7 year old wants a 3ds pokemans game for Christmas...

Any ideas which one is the best to start on. She’s pretty good at reading, which makes me think she will be able to handle it, but obviously hasn’t really played any RPGs so I’m wondering if any is a particularly good babby mode game.

She says ultra moon is the one she wants but I know she doesn’t really know one from the next.

If she's good at reading, she'll be fine. Get her Ultra Moon as that's the "latest" until Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee are out (but those are radically different from the "core" games).

(Image removed from quote.)

WTF. They're allowing you to build CP and candies via this to send back to Go? WTF, why isn't this in Go from the get-go?

Go REALLY needs some fucking gameplay that isn't "camp gyms, hooray!" gameplay.

Tasty

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 09:54:43 AM »
This is out today.

The reviews have made me both more and less hyped. The main game seems great and a lot of fun, but the amount of stuff they’ve removed and simplified… and I’m not a fan of the art style either, looks too blocky and clean. Sun/Moon had a much better art style.

Also, can we please move past Gen 1. Please. It’s been 20 years.

Tasty

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 09:58:53 AM »
Also no Pro Controller support is still bullshit.

kingv

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 11:00:07 AM »
No pro controller is a bad choice.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 11:29:51 AM »
I would have have been really down with this game if not for the Go stuff.

The nostalgia I have for first gen is pretty big, but man the Go stuff really kills any interest. Really disappointing.

Tasty

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2018, 11:36:06 AM »
The only Go stuff is the catching mechanic, which I agree is dumb but you can avoid ever touching it if you want.

Tasty

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 11:37:50 AM »

Blue - Silver - Sapphire - Pearl - White - White 2 - Y - Moon - UltraMoon - Eevee

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 01:11:54 PM »
Let me know what you think. I'm kinda on the fence for this one.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 02:24:02 PM »
Let me know what you think. I'm kinda on the fence for this one.

Will do. Pokemon without the competitive side isn't nearly as appealing to me so I'm looking forward to one-shotting the single player game or something. I'm expecting a fun but shallow experience.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 06:03:51 PM »
Yeah I'll be looking forward to your impressions. My fam are all big pokemon fans but we're also on the fence on this one.
que

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 06:08:34 PM »
Yeah I'll be looking forward to your impressions. My fam are all big pokemon fans but we're also on the fence on this one.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
©@©™

thisismyusername

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 06:55:43 PM »
Dunkey being on the winning team. :rejoice

Tasty

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »
I didn't. Gen 3 nearly lost me.

(I have played Red, Yellow, Gold, Platinum, and Alpha Sapphire, though, but excluded them from my list for brevity.)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:46:58 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 07:45:40 PM »
Also my Poke Ball Plus is on its way. My third-party Pokemon Go Plus (Gotcha) obviates the Pokemon Go benefits of the controller, and I'm not super happy that some in-game actions (such as accessing the options menu) are completely impossible with it, however... it fulfills too many childhood dreams not to splurge. And I had the credit on Amazon to fully cover it anyways.

I'm pissed the $20 officially-licensed HORI charging stand is out of stock everywhere though. :maf

Tasty

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2018, 07:47:38 PM »
Also having a Mew for the main campaign sounds bitching. 8)

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 10:15:29 PM »
I don’t have a switch yet (thanks target for cancelling my 150$ order)

But I like the grind. And this just seems like baby pokemon that I’m not really interested in
dur

Fifstar

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 10:59:13 PM »
German review sez this is an surprisingly good mixture between baby's first RPG and a trip down memory lane.  :yeshrug
Gulp

kingv

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 11:40:53 PM »
Played about 2 hours with my kid tonight. The co-op is really lame outside of the catching mini game and battle. You can run around but not interact with anything. As you can imagine, this makes playing with a 6 year old highly frustrating if she is the main player.

But the core game is pretty good. It’s basically Pokémon go mechanics in rpg form. Shits real easy tho

Tasty

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2018, 09:58:07 AM »
Max text speed + “set” option + skip animations = this game is breezing by fast as fuck for me haha. The relative lack of handholding in Gen 1 compared to later entries is really apparent too.

Tasty

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2018, 10:01:02 AM »
Also one-handed Joy-Con use (the only way to play this in TV mode) is weird as fuck and I don't like it and I want my Poke Ball Plus to get here.

(But what I really want is Pro Controller support patched in. Handheld mode let's you disable motion controls and use the stick to aim!! WTF)

Tasty

« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Freyj

« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 12:41:46 PM »
This is great.

:piss wild pokemon battles :piss2

:bow visible wild pokemon :bow2

Tasty

« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 12:58:53 PM »
I do have to say I've warmed to the new catching mechanics astonishingly well... thought I'd hate them, but I'm actively looking for Pokemon I haven't caught in the overworld yet, and the catch streak mechanic is genius (though building on prior work from Gens 6 and 7.)

Not having to spam Repel in caves is great too.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2018, 01:19:47 PM »
That.. doesn’t sound bad

Tasty

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2018, 01:32:13 PM »
I think most of my early thoughts are likely going to be positive since I had low expectations, and my more specific criticisms are going to take longer to form... but who knows.

I do know for sure that I don't like the art style, and in fact I find the game visually tiring to look at. It's too colorful and bright and clean. My theory is they gave this to the Game Freak B team while team A does the 2019 game. These graphics, while technically better, just feel like a step back from Sun/Moon's direction, and the simplifying of mechanics, slashing the roster of Pokemon from 800+ to 151, etc. are convincing me more and more.

This looks like what someone who was a kid playing Yellow back in the day expects "Kanto in HD" to look like, and there's probably a lot of younger guys like that working on this game. I theorize the more senior people have been on the 2019 game for a few years now.

Probably talking out of my ass. I need to compare the staff credits for the games to be sure and I don't feel like doing that right now...

Rahxephon91

« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2018, 01:28:01 AM »
I got the game purely for nostalgia. Chose the Evee edition because I already played Yellow and Evee is a bit cuter to me. It is pretty fun. But I do think the Go elements will become just as tedious as actual wild battles.

Tasty

« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2018, 11:55:30 AM »
Taking a break from the series can be pretty healthy.

I put a lot of time into Y but yeah, it was pretty bland. Kinda like Let's Go in a sense. Maybe these days GF needs a warm-up game on new systems or something.

Moon was absolutely fantastic, but I wasn't pleased with the (rumored) split of Stars into UltraSun and UltraMoon. Too much milkage.

thisismyusername

« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
I haven't gotten around to Ultra Moon, because Moon was such a railroad. You think Persona 5 is bad? Enjoy hours of boring story monologing just to get all the gym badges and end-game.

Tasty

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2018, 08:07:35 PM »
Probably the most valid critique of the game, but Pokemon games have always been more or less linear; there are branches in RBY, GSC, and DPPt, but they're mostly the exception. In fact I don't think you've been able to do any gyms out of order during the main campaign since RBY (GSC's postgame obviously let you do Gyms 9-16 in almost any order.)

Moon otherwise was so fresh and polished that I really enjoyed the overall experience.

Edit- Apparently RSE let you do some gyms out of order, but this was removed in the remakes.

So technically the last games to let you do so were HeartGold/SoulSilver...  think. :thinking
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:12:24 PM by Tasty Meat »

Tasty

« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2018, 08:10:02 PM »
I would like to see a fully "open" Pokemon game someday though. It'd be really neat to see.

Tasty

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2018, 08:11:16 PM »
Triple post.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2018, 04:01:21 AM »
Still liking this, but you know I gotta go level my team. It would be easier if I could just fight wild Pokemon...

I'm mostly complaining now because I've run out of berries and was playing this with motion controls which don't seem great for quick grinding.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2018, 05:53:12 AM »
I would like to see a fully "open" Pokemon game someday though. It'd be really neat to see.

Pokemon: Breath of the Wild.

Tasty

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2018, 08:19:00 AM »

Pokemon: Breath of the Wild.

Could you imagine though?

Probably gonna be a gen or two before Gamefreak realizes the second analogue stick exists. 🙄

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »
GameFreak

Expectation: Open World Pokemon GaaS

Reality: GameFreak discovers the Lens Flare and implements it poorly
🤴