Author Topic: ITT: Wrath plays through the OG Devil May Cry series and talks about it  (Read 6507 times)

Wrath2X

So, since I'm spending the summer in Saudi and I'm going to spend most of it playing videogames and writing, I might as well write about something I care about on here as well. With the announcement of Devil May Cry 5 I thought it would be a good idea to revisit the old series and put my thoughts down on each game, starting with the very first tomorrow.

Part of it is I kind of always despised how talk of the old series has centralized to two things: Dante's hair and the depth of the combat. The latter infuriates me mostly due to people acting like the games only work if you're one of those crazies who uploads insane stylish combo videos while ignoring that the games are very much newcomer friendly. When I find that while the combat is indeed fantastic, there's a lot to these games that are ignored.

I also won't be playing DmC because, to be frank, the only really interesting part of that game is the fact that it has the Devil May Cry name. It's just like any old meandering and boring Ninja Theory game, it might be their best game but I personally don't think that means much. And since there's probably no chance of that reboot ever being revisited, and the fact that Devil May Cry 5 is a continuation of the original series makes me mostly want to follow that path. Besides, if you want to see me bitch and moan I'll be playing DMC2 anyway :yuck

With that, guess we should start this thread off right:

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!
©@©™

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
I SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE TO FILL YOUR DARK SOUL WITH LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

I WANTED A MOUNTAIN DEW NOT SPRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITE!

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
Lady: Are you crying?
Dante: It's only the rain.
Lady: But the rain already stopped.

Dante: Devils never cry.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩

Let's Cyber

• Banned (duration pending)
Was DMC 1 Masami Ueda? I know he worked on the music for several of the RE titles and contributed to Bayonetta 1.

I'm a sucker for the pipe organ tbh.

paprikastaude

Bebpo

DMC1 was cool for everything you wrote.

Still, I'm one of those people that only cares about 3&4 because the mechanics at this point. Don't care about level design/story/etc..., just want good combo depth and challenging boss fights. Like 1 is nice as a Resident Evil action-adventure game, but doesn't really scratch that character action itch.

paprikastaude

I played 1 and 3 a couple of years back for the first time and thought the same about the first game, i.e. it's still good if you look at it as pseudo-Resident Evil or something along the lines of 3D Igavania. I'm not really al that fond where they went with the atmosphere since 4. The tower in 3 was still a good locale in that regard.

Bebpo

4 gets an insane pass from fans to be honest. Out of the three great games it has the worst setting, the worst overall cast of characters (all the new characters sans Nero were trash), it was clearly rushed, has the least amount of bosses while what was there is less interesting than the bosses in 3 and even 1 except for probably Credo, and is just all around a huge disappointment. It's still a good game, and probably has the best combat mechanics of the series and action games as a whole, but it came at the expense of everything else.

Glad I could give you this little preview of my DMC4 thoughts, couldn't find time to play DMC1 today but will surely get on that tomorrow.

I agree with everything you said, but I still like 4, /shrug

I also agree DMC1's fun as a resident evil/igavania/onimusha kinda action-adventure game.

Bebpo

Just depends on what you enjoy. I had the second most fun of all the games in the series playing it. When actually in the thick of the combat it's just so much fun with Nero's arm mechanic.

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
still the best 3d castlevania and I like lords of shadow

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
I've said unironically that dmc2 is one of the worst games capcom even put out, and I meant that shit. drag DMC all you want but it's a masterpiece compared to dmc2, the real shitstain on the series. any other trash game has some dink who defend it to the death, but i have literally never seen anyone even remotely come to this game's defense. it's just that bad.
pcp

Bebpo

Thanks for the writeup on DMC1 Wrath. I don't replay games so I haven't played DMC1 since it came out, but your writeup got me looking at the HD Collection. Maybe before DMC5 releases I'll replay 1/3/4. Fuck 2 though.

still the best 3d castlevania and I like lords of shadow

But...but...Lament of Innocence!

Haven't played it since it came out in what, 2005 or something? But I thought it was a good 3d castlevania.

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
i like lament is innocence too! it's totally a budget game game, but the gameplay is still very fun and challenging. I love the second quest hard mode in the game because it's one of those games where they completely change enemy placement and behaviors and its super challenging. very fun title.
pcp

kingv

Interested in your take on DMC 2. I know it’s widely derided, but I have never played it and am not sure why exactly.

kingv

I guess I should have read the earlier posts!

Strange to me how they can fuck that game up so badly. Making dmc2 seems like a straightforward sequel in 2003, when there really weren’t many similar games.

Tasty

DMC2 had the best Dante design tho.

:uguu

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
3s design would be solid if he had any kinda shirt on but I'm for #equality so its fine, let him free those abs for a game. Young dumb and you know

El Babua

Another thing DMC1 did damn well was the horror vibe. Going back to the castle at night was fucking scary for me back in the day with all the familiar areas you been to corrupted and the new, unsettling new enemies that inhabited it. Also, best boss fight in the game with Nero Angelo III

Positive Touch

• Woo Papa
finally picked up dmc4 special edition yesterday. I hate that vergil and Lady only have opening and ending cutscenes bc I'm a fuckin weeaboo, but it doesn't really matter bc god damn this game is fun. best part is that they adjusted the amount of points you get so they're not rationed out in tiny portions like the original. I'm in level 3 and I have like 1/3 of the damn moveset already. it's great
pcp

Bebpo

Just saw your DMC3 write up. I agree it’s got the best weapons in any action game. I actually play with trickster (never tried the others much) and my favorite weapon is Nevan, so it’s cool that it’s so open ended people can play it totally differently. I also agree it’s the best Dante, great Virgil, great Lady, great bosses.

I actually didn’t like playing as Dante in 4. I felt like just giving him everything at once was too much and didn’t feel tight combat, and like you said none of the bosses really fit him. Going from Nero to Dante was like going from slower, precise tight Nero combat (I like the arm + revving) to overpowered godman broken hack mode. I beat it on all the difficulties when it came out and I really soured on Dante’s half. I agree the bosses are not enough and most are just average outside the great Credo fight, the setting is meh and the antagonist and sexualization suck. Also lack of good weapons. All my fond memories of the game are playing as Nero fighting regular mobs in the mansion and normal areas.

The game reminds me of Bayonetta 1, and there’s a lot Bayonetta does better with better enemies/bosses/weapons, though I prefer the core combat of Nero over Bayo1’s combat. I feel Bayo’s combat is like DMC4’s Dante where it’s like here’s 20 moves and just do whatever you want and press A to dodge when enemies are gonna attack, the end. It feel so different from DMC3 Dante & DMC4 Nero where you’ve got to keep moving and working in dodging with your attacks by being mobile and there’s not just an easy press A to dodge as the only defense you need. I’d rank them DMC3 > Bayo1 > DMC4 fwiw. I didn’t like Bayo2 much, I felt like the new director just didn’t have the talent that Kamiya or Itsuno has for combat and like DMC4 the setting and characters were awful (kid was insanely bad). Hopefully 3 is a return to form. Would be nice if DMCV and Bayo 3 ended up being up there with those three. NG:B and NG2 is too, but NG plays so different from DMC/Bayo it’s tough to even compare them. Speaking of character action, the one other game people sometimes put up there is MGS Rising and it annoys the hell out of me. It’s an ok 4 hour game, but the combat is so fucking shallow compared to other character action games I was pretty disappointed. Like Bayo’s one button dodge, MG:R goes a step further with one button win parry & counter. I’m overstating it, and the boss fights were cool, but it almost could work as a mobile game. It’d be better as a brawler than a CA game imo.

Bebpo

NG2 is a lot like DMC4 where it’s got a lot of weak parts (and boy do those NG2 lows go lower than anything in DMC4), but the core combat is so good and satisfying it’s still a mostly great game to play.

thisismyusername

Every Wrath post

(Image removed from quote.)

Honestly, I prefer Sigma 2 over Black, if only for balance reasons. Exploding Shiruken spam in NG2 base is why I only ever played it once after seeing the first boss and going "Yeah, fuck that shit" post-Warrior run.

I did the original NG (non-Black) to Master Ninja. Which just speaks volumes about the state of NG2.

(Also I'm an idiot and own the Velveta ports of the Sigmas and OMG they run so bad.)

Honestly for me, the top 3 would be:

1. Ninja Gaiden: Black
2. Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening: Special Edition
3. Metal Gear Solid: Revengence.

I know #3 is weird, but the "cuhrazy" game genre doesn't really have too many entries, and God of War is :trash combat.

kingv

Revengeance is a dope game and there’s no shame in giving it such a high rank.

I’d probably put Bayonetta 2 above it, but it’s still awesome.

Bebpo

Eh, I like MGS (a lot), I like Character Action genre (a lot), I like Platinum games (some), but I just did not like Rising. Played it a couple times and while I enjoyed it more on the 2nd time on the harder difficulty parrying everything, it still just felt way too shallow. The opening scene with the Ray, the one boss fight on the oil rig or something with the tentacle girl and the final boss were the best parts. I remember some shit parts too like the sewers, and the game is just way too short that it felt closer to a vertical slice for a real full game down the line than an actual full satisfying game.

For what it's worth I think I would've liked an MG Rising 2 that had a full 2-3 year development cycle and budget as I fully get that most of my issues with MG:R come from the game being made in under a year on a budget rush job and that's why it feels like a budget rush job title. Too bad the sequel didn't happen.

I think the thing with Platinum is I'm pretty mixed on them as action developers. A lot of people think they're the next coming of jesus. But to me they're no Clover or Treasure. Some of their stuff with combat depth like Vanquish and Bayonetta are excellent, but they also make shallow combat that I don't really enjoy like Madword, Anarchy Reigns and MG:R. I feel like they're a real mixed bag studio depending on whose the director. Was a shame Mikami didn't stick around, probably could've done a better Evil Within 1 there. And without Mikami whose an A++ game designer/director, all they've got is Kamiya as a A++ game designer/director, and all the other games are by...other people, some who are not that great.

kingv

I still think Platinum far and away has more good than bad games. Out of their “bad” games there’s only maybe 2-4 that I think are truly garbage (TMNT and Star Fox are the only two I would say are truly shit). Korra is low budget but plays fine.

I think the biggest thing I can think of with them is that they basically are a gig developer, and some of their games are effectively phoned in for a paycheck. That said, they do reuse their combat systems over and over again. Like Transformers is good because it is Bayonetta with transforming attacks instead of wicked weaves. So of course it plays well.

Two things I’d like to see Platinum tackle would be:

1) a game with swery.
2) a game that is basically like a Hul or Prototype type of open world game.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Honestly, I've only played the first 2 DMC games. How is the HD collection or should I just get #3 on PS2?
^_^

Beezy

God Hand was so dumb, yet so great. :lol

Bebpo

I loved godhand. It’s budget but otherwise dope. I remember some great boss fights. Mikami god game.

paprikastaude

God Hand is the GOAT. 10 hour+ beat'em'up that doesn't stop introducing new challenges and surprises. Plus music from Masafumi Takada (Suda games, Danganronpa).

Beezy

Didn't God Hand also make you face more difficult enemies if you were playing well?

kingv

I’ve always wanted to play god hand, but I’m also pretty sure it has never been ported to anything outside of PS2.

El Babua

I think you can get it as a download on PS3, maybe 4 as well

kingv

Thinking about this thread (and finishing up a few other games) spurred me to finally play DMC3. As a big fan of Bayonetta, I’ve always wanted to give it a good playthrough, but the state of the ports and the lack of backward compatibility in the 360 version left me no great options until the PS4X1 ports. I’ve played through dmc4 and DMC remake, but none of the ps2 games.

A couple of thoughts a few missions in (just beat the giant electric centipede thing).

- I forgot how ugly PS2 games really are. In retrospect the 360 is a huuggge jump over the PS2. 360 games to new are still largely acceptably decent looking. The textures in this game are terrible. They look like what I remember the N64 looking like (which means the N64 is lextra double plus terrible).
- you can see the influence on Bayonetta really strongly. Bayonetta is far more refined in its way, but man even a lot of the design elements are very similar.
- the combat system to me is strange. Only having one attack button just played weird to me at first,  but after watching a few videos on the combat I realize that a lot of the depth is hidden. This is also true in games like Bayonetta but it’s more pronounced here. A lot of the depth seems to revolve around how you can cancel out of one move into another move. Like, shoot the shotgun, weapon switch, shoot the pistols, the weapon switch back to shoot another shotgun blast far quicker than you could by just shooting the shotgun twice in a row.
- the graphics hamper it at times. Like I found it hard to read some of the attacks. The fixed perspective doesn’t help. Cerberus especially was a confusing fight. I felt like I was really wrestling with the camera and controls, because I couldn’t always figure out what he was doing.

Overall I like it but you can definitely see its age.

kingv

I’ve been using swordmaster too. I played Jester for the first two missions, but pretty quickly realized that an extra dodge didn’t seem too useful, though it sounds like it has other stuff as it levels up.

I actually had more issues with the first boss than Cerberus. I managed to stun lock him on the second try and took him down to about half health with little effort. Then I just grounded out the rest.

The first boss was difficult because the dodges are weird with the camera perspective. The grim reaper boss would come out of his teleport with a move, and when I’d go to dodge Dante would do that jump backwards move instead of roll dodge and get tagged.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Doing the normal jump Dante has gives you the most invincibility frames, its better to jump to avoid damage then using the dodge.
OH!

kingv

I’ve start d using just a hop to dodge and it seems to work ok.

I’ll say I really struggled with th warrior trial part though. I almost dropped it to easy, but perserved and was able to finish it... Artemis seems not so great though.

kingv

What would happen is I would do that, then wreck shop, and the last wave would drop right as the wheels stopped spinning. The red fast grim reapers are tough on devil trigger.

So anyway, I eventually just went for broke and spun the switches up again on the third wave and best it.

The game is fairly aggressive at lessening Agro for off-screen enemies... ninja Gaiden II could have learnt from that.

kingv

I just beat Nevan. She probably gave me the toughest time of an of the bosses so far. You really have to know when to be locked on and when not to.

She probably would have been easier with Jester style thogh

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
I just beat Nevan. She probably gave me the toughest time of an of the bosses so far. You really have to know when to be locked on and when not to.

She probably would have been easier with Jester style thogh

still remember the first time i beat her, took me something 12 tries but on the 12th I did it flawlessly. No damage. Felt so good, even better than the first time I beat those twin fucks.

Tasty

https://platinumparagon.wordpress.com/2018/03/12/why-devil-may-cry-3-was-harder-in-america/amp/

Fascinating article you chaps might appreciate. I love stuff like this.

kingv

Interesting to find out that the original version was way harder. I bet a lot of people really hated it at that difficulty.

I think the normal difficulty here is good to just play through without too much try hard but also not being a complete cakewalk. I’ve certainly died several times on some bosses or hard encounters, but after trying them 3 or 4 times can usually just rock through it.

Also interesting that they appear to have recorded several FMV scenes in the original game but set them up to look exactly like in-game graphics. It’s really apparent in the HD version where some of the cutscenes are suddenly unaliased 480P. I wonder if people that played it originally thought those scenes were in-engine.

It’s a hell of a good game, and if I didn’t have a backlog to burn through I’d probably play through it on hard too. I think I want to hit another character action game next.

DMC IV? (Are any of the special edition characters worth playing through the game with?)
Hellblade?
DMC 1?
DMC?
Marlowe Briggs?

Edit: bosses that gave me the most trouble btw so far were Nevan and Beowulf. Nevan I think is legitimately tough, but Beowulf I felt was kind of cheesy when he gets on all fours. I really struggled with avoiding his charges because he’d come in from off camera.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 11:40:54 PM by kingv »

thisismyusername

Ninja Gaiden Black.

This, but if you need to continue the DMC series: 4: SE is alright. The new characters aren't amazing but playing as Virgil with the motivation system makes for a new twist over the Devil Bringer (Nero) and Dante switching system.

Himu

Been thinking of doing this. Haven't played the games in over 10 years. DMC was a big part of my gaming life at one point. I think NG is the better series but nothing was like the time I rented DMC1 after reading the EGM review, my friend bringing over his ps2, and us marveling at juggling a marionette. To us, that was when the ps2 generation officially started. Not Onimusha, ZOE, but Devil fucking May Cry. What a game.

Seeing a brand new genre come to life before your eyes was amazing. No one ever came close to DMC besides NG and arguably ps2 Shinobi and Otogi. That high of playing DMC the first time has been something I've chased in games ever since. The only games to remotely come close were DMC3, NGB, and NG2. :bow
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 11:08:31 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

Himu

https://platinumparagon.wordpress.com/2018/03/12/why-devil-may-cry-3-was-harder-in-america/amp/

Already knew about it. Normal was Japanese hard and hard was Japanese DMD. I remember because normal mode had reviewers and scrubs going insane about how much harder it was. This was typified by chapter 4-6 during the Agni and Rudra section. There was a lonnnnng section without a single save point and you had to survive the boss fight against Angi and Rudra. DMC3 was a game  you cut your teeth on.

Then God of War came out a few weeks later and it was complete shit in comparison.

Probably the first time I ever felt betrayed by reviewers lmao. Fuck God of War.
IYKYK

Himu

iirc DMC3 had much lower reviews than DMC1 despite being better because of the increased difficulty.

TLDR: Reviewers are shooked ones.
IYKYK

kingv

Ninja Gaiden Black.

Oh yeah, I hadn’t considered thugs. I beat Ninja Gaiden when it first came out, but don’t think I ever went back to beat Black.

It sounds like it is harder than the original. I’m not sure I can stomach a harder Alma.-\

Himu

Alma isn't so bad. Black is much better.

Also play NG2 360 (not ps3). It has the best combat this genre has to offer.
IYKYK

kingv

I’ve beaten NG2 on the 360 when it came out. I remember liking it quite a bit, except for the worm boss, and the off-screen projectiles.

Agreed re: god of war being shit.

I feel like the only God of War game that was any good was GoW3. I felt like it was the only one that knew what it was. A big budget motion picture of a game, with lots of spectacle but not much depth. The first one was overrated. It’s not terrible, but this genre needs more than 3 boss fights.

The newest God Of War might be the most overrated of all. It had a few good points, but I was ready for it to end by the halfway point. The combat wasn’t that great or fun, imo.

Edit: pretty sure next game is going to be Hellblade... most because I just recently bought it in the Xbox sale.

Himu

The latest God of War even more overrated than the original? I can't imagine.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
In a better world we got a NG2 Black that was just Itagaki spending an extra year or two on what we got and knocking off major issues like frame rate etc. I adore the game as is but I know it's a deeply flawed work. NGB a classic though ofc

Himu

In a better world we got a NG2 Black that was just Itagaki spending an extra year or two on what we got and knocking off major issues like frame rate etc. I adore the game as is but I know it's a deeply flawed work. NGB a classic though ofc

NG2 fixed the Itagaki way would have made 2 better than Black. It was undercooked in some areas but where it shined, it decimated the rest of the genre.
IYKYK

kingv

I finished upDMC 3 and can see why it’s so well-liked. It definitely shares DNA with a lot of Platinum’s games. Bayonetta is extremely derivative of it, actually. So I’m now even more hyped about the idea of Bayonetta x DMC crossover. Bayo and Dante would be great fools for each other.

The game does have some spots that are sort of rough around the edges or seem weirdly balanced, mostly because of frustrating camera issues. The main spots for me were the Arkham fight and Beowulf fights.

Beowulf I eventually got the hang of navigating the camera when he was on all fours, but Arkham was just really difficult to read for me. He basically takes up the whole screen when your wailing on him  and it’s hard to read what his movements to know when to dodge. I eventually used healing items once I could get to the part where Virgil consistently joins.

On a side note, how bad is Ninja Gaiden 3? Beat 1 and 2 but never played 3.

Himu

Bayonetta never clicked with me the way DMC and NG did. It’s ok. :yeshrug
IYKYK

kingv

Huh, I really prefer Bayonetta.

I think DMC is really great, but Bayo to me seems like a refinement of it. One thing that really felt off to me in DMC 3 in comparison was that there were a lot more moves that couldn’t be cancelled out of or flowed into something else.

Like the Jester dodge is basically Bayonettas dodge, but the way it’s done in DMC is like it frame locks you in, and you can’t Jester dodge into a combo really. Bayo you can dodge mid-combo and continue the combo from where you left off after the dodge. The execution barrier on it is high, but you can do it, and it looks cool.

I really like the aesthetics of both, but I also prefer Bayonetta somewhat, particularly the music. IMO the Jazz-pop music that they use for the battle themes is really unique for video game music. DMC 3’s is good too, but imo, the aesthetic is basically Iron Maiden album cover by Japanese people. Still somewhat unique to that series.... but not AS unique. Plenty of games have metal for the music.

That said Bayonettas themes of heaven and hell are really derivative of DMC too.

paprikastaude

NG2 has the best battle system, I don't care for which version it is or even Razor's Edge - it's a blast either way. But it sucks that there's no definite version/game for it. Itagaki also directed the DS spinoff and it's funny because it's really good. I don't know how they made the combat system work with a stylus, but they did. Kind of a shame that Itagaki is a weirdo who sabotaged himself into oblivion.

God of War 1 I liked similar to DMC1 (both LTTP) as an action adventure instead of for in-depth combat (because it isn't there). God of War 2 focused much more on the combat instead of being ancient Tomb Raider and felt immediately inferior.

Tasty

Re: ITT: Wrath plays through the OG Devil May Cry series and talks about it
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2018, 02:26:04 PM »

Already knew about it. Normal was Japanese hard and hard was Japanese DMD. I remember because normal mode had reviewers and scrubs going insane about how much harder it was. This was typified by chapter 4-6 during the Agni and Rudra section. There was a lonnnnng section without a single save point and you had to survive the boss fight against Angi and Rudra. DMC3 was a game  you cut your teeth on.

Then God of War came out a few weeks later and it was complete shit in comparison.

Probably the first time I ever felt betrayed by reviewers lmao. Fuck God of War.

What was interesting to me is that Europe had Japan's difficulty because of European previews, but they wanted to keep the western difficulty hard for American journalists who savaged DMC2 for its easiness. So they walked back the Euro version while keeping the American version hard.

I always knew that Japan was easier, but not Europe, and there was apparently talk that it was a bug or something, which the article scientifically disproves.

kingv

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2018, 09:39:27 PM »
I’ve started playing DMC 4: SE and don’t really understand the mechanics of Nero.

I mean, I can beat most of the encounters but I don’t really get how to string together long combos or use that Sword revving thing properly (or what it does).

Any tips?

thisismyusername

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2018, 09:47:03 PM »
I’ve started playing DMC 4: SE and don’t really understand the mechanics of Nero.

I mean, I can beat most of the encounters but I don’t really get how to string together long combos or use that Sword revving thing properly (or what it does).

Any tips?

Don't worry about exceed. It's a hassle. If you're going to do combos, you want to throw them into the air, grab them. Or do the reverse while in the air. Basically do what you do with Dante, but with the arm.

To actually explain the exceed mechanic: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/938686-devil-may-cry-4/40998291