Author Topic: Who Is America? (Sacha Baron Cohen's New Show)  (Read 12755 times)

kingv

Re: Who Is America? (Sacha Baron Cohen's New Show)
« Reply #60 on: July 20, 2018, 11:54:40 AM »
and the old school camp as hell Republican couple were perfect. "dont judge honey" :lol
this sorta reminded me a bit of the scene in Borat where he attends that dinner and tries to do everything possible to make the people offended and utterly fails to where he basically has to bail out of the scene

i'm sure they talked horrible shit about him after he left, but i always thought that was one of the more effective parts of the movie even if maybe unintended or not what Cohen wanted...the frat brothers' scene was kinda similar in how much they accepted Borat

i mean, that's a lot of Cohen's stuff, seeing how far people will go with his absurd characters, but i like when it fails in, comedic terms, the opposite way into where the joke gets reversed onto him...like Bernie's thing was it failing to basically nowhere since Sanders basically wasn't even playing along

Cohen should have known that Bernie was just going to talk about The same things he always does no matter what you ask him.

Just like he mansplained to Queen all while being a Russian plant.

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #61 on: July 20, 2018, 01:52:14 PM »
prefer a solution like megalinks

RIP to r/megalinks.

Terrarium TV looks interesting; looks similar to some of those Kodi addons, e.g. Exodus.

It'll work with an NVIDIA Shield TV too, which I've been eyeing for a while.

Nathan Fielder as a consulting producer :mynicca

paprikastaude

« Reply #62 on: July 20, 2018, 01:58:20 PM »
https://deadline.com/2018/07/sacha-baron-cohen-who-is-america-ratings-low-debut-showtime-1202427802/

Just 327,000 sets of eyeballs tuned in to the premium cabler on Sunday night to see the Borat star spoof Senator Bernie Sanders, gun activists, Trent Lott, supporters of Donald Trump and more in the first episode of the series. Among the key demographic of adults 18-49, Who Is America? pulled in a low 0.1 rating. That put the secretive and controversial Who Is America? in the hinterland of the 70th highest-rated original show on cable on July 15.

The failing Sacha Baron Cohen :trumps

Commercially speaking, they need to get this out there, shit would probably fire in europe, china and canada right now.  LEL AMERICANS FUCK DOLPHINS??

It was actually reported on local news here on several channels when they've announced it. People that I talk to know it exists, but it's not on Netflix or anything (unlike other US TV shows that they pick up, something like Better Call Saul comes on Netflix weekly instead of TV over here). Dropped the ball.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #63 on: July 20, 2018, 02:46:56 PM »
prefer a solution like megalinks

RIP to r/megalinks.

Terrarium TV looks interesting; looks similar to some of those Kodi addons, e.g. Exodus.

(Image removed from quote.)

Nathan Fielder as a consulting producer :mynicca

Most of the megalinks people moved over to this forum https://forum.snahp.it which usually has shows within a day or two of them airing.

For this show I just started a Showtime trial and I'll pay for a month after it ends.

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2018, 11:36:11 PM »
Big Winners:

idiotic reality TV star

:jawalrus

Racist Georgia State Representative

:neogaf

Building a mosque in red neck town

:mynicca

Post credit sequence of State Rep yelling sand distinguished black fellow and biting a penis

:lawd

Great 30 minutes.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2018, 12:19:48 AM »
I don't think it failed when the stupidity of his characters is funny enough. You didn't get "exposure" out of every Borat and Bruno skit, plus Ali G was always just dumb and I think there was only two times people walked out of the interview.

Agreed. I saw Billy Wayne Ruddick and Dr SJW as intentionally reflexive characters that were more about lampooning the idiocy of the stereotypes they were conveying in the presence of those who we'd expect to hold those stereotypes. I imagine he intended those guests to be polite and play themselves without being over the top (otherwise he would've chosen other people) Bernie plays the paternalistic, patronising liberal elite contrasted with the old, white, wealthy, southern GOP stalwarts. Those skits didn't intend to expose their guests, but use them as a tool to expose the divide e.g. either side thinks the other is so ridiculous, they just swallow each characters absurdity.
◕‿◕

agrajag

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2018, 12:32:55 AM »
Yeah, I think people view Ali G with somewhat rose colored glasses. There were many brilliant segments and interviews, but there was also quite a bit of filler with Cohen's characters just doing dumb stuff. But the dumb stuff was still funny then and is still funny now, to me. It's still real to me, damnit!

Even the part where he had a chance to talk to the future US President/The Most Powerful Man In The World Donald Trump, he wasted that opportunity pitching him his dumb ice cream gloves invention.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2018, 01:10:35 AM »
https://politics.myajc.com/blog/politics/georgia-lawmaker-uses-racial-slurs-drops-pants-humiliating-segment/vNIDCsPu8FgZx7uzmRkrQN/

Spencer told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution last week that the show’s producers “took advantage of my fears that I would be attacked by someone” to convince him to appear on the program.

“They exploited my state of mind for profit and notoriety,” said Spencer, who said he was denied the chance to have final approval over what will air.

:dead

You can't make this shit up. So good.

Freyj

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2018, 01:16:14 AM »
This thing is ruining careers weekly and it whips ass.

Don’t forget that he got Dick Cheney to
spoiler (click to show/hide)
sign a mother fucking water boarding jug
[close]

Stoney Mason

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2018, 01:18:54 AM »
He's so good at slipping in little jokes that are amazing. I love when he talks to Cheney and he asks him which is his favorite war, Iraq 1, Iraq 2, as if they are movies. His fanboy attitude towards cheney is so just sweet, yet diabolical at the same time at disarming Cheney.

agrajag

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2018, 02:06:56 AM »
Holy shit, I am watching the part where the GOP congressman (the burka ban guy) starts doing a racist Chinese impression completely unprovoked and I am dying laughing. How can anyone say this shit isn't funny?

edit: holy shit he starts screaming distinguished black fellow, wtf

edit 2: and now he's running backwards trying to touch him with his bare buttocks

:dead :dead :dead
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:11:43 AM by agrajag »

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2018, 02:12:55 AM »
Let the credits play out too.

warcock

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2018, 02:19:41 AM »
Holy shit, I am watching the part where the GOP congressman (the burka ban guy) starts doing a racist Chinese impression completely unprovoked and I am dying laughing. How can anyone say this shit isn't funny?

edit: holy shit he starts screaming distinguished black fellow, wtf

edit 2: and now he's running backwards trying to touch him with his bare buttocks

:dead :dead :dead

I am a minute in, and I CANNOT, but i mean CANNNOOOOTTTT believe Spencer hasn't been payed to play act his racist chinese impression. RED DRAGON. Like how. If this is real... ffs cohen...how is he not breaking out of character and laughing like how.

edit 1: Nah fuck this, this is staged. Nah... nope.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2018, 02:29:37 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/22/arts/television/jason-spencer-sacha-cohen.html

He called the stunt “deceptive and fraudulent behavior” and “exactly why President Donald Trump was elected.”

He'd fit in perfectly with certain posters on the bore.

agrajag

« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2018, 02:32:18 AM »
I'm not sure why I am still shocked by... things anymore at this point. But it's still shocking to me that people as cripplingly dumb as this Spencer fellow become elected officials in this country.

Oblivion

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2018, 02:48:49 AM »
I'm not sure why I am still shocked by... things anymore at this point. But it's still shocking to me that people as cripplingly dumb as this Spencer fellow become elected officials in this country.

To me, it's not the antics that were shocking, but the fact that these guys don't seem to do any background checks.

agrajag

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2018, 02:51:01 AM »
 :lol :lol :lol :lol

the "dick torture" bit. God, I don't know why I get such a kick out of this juvenile ass shit. Cohen is king.

agrajag

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2018, 02:53:32 AM »

To me, it's not the antics that were shocking, but the fact that these guys don't seem to do any background checks.

I kind of disagree. Even if you fail to do a background check, which granted is stupid not to, how do you not recognize how ridiculous these anti-terrorist strategies are on their face?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2018, 03:10:32 AM »

Kodi is nice but I get tired of dealing with the hassle of addons breaking and such. TV terrarium just grabs link so in that sense it breaks less than kodi add-ons tend to and its been actively supported for a good while now. There are competing apps that are decent to good like terrarium (showbox, teatv, morpheus tv etc, but none are the overall complete package imo like terrarium. At least for a free one. Although specifically for anime anyme is even better than terrarium.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 03:15:05 AM by Stoney Mason »

agrajag

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:05 AM »

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2018, 06:55:37 AM »
Turned it off during the conservative couple... Too much cringe and Jesus Christ if the interviewed are not in on it, you guys need a new revolution. #reeee

paprikastaude

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2018, 07:58:28 AM »
entire episode was hot fire, jesus christ I couldn't believe what was happening in the first skit. Fucking red dragon ho-chi-minh sushi and it only got worse with that horrid lardy :dead

It's been a little overshadowed, but the truthbrary was also amazing. Mannequins :dead

agrajag

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2018, 10:06:55 AM »
entire episode was hot fire, jesus christ I couldn't believe what was happening in the first skit. Fucking red dragon ho-chi-minh sushi and it only got worse with that horrid lardy :dead

It's been a little overshadowed, but the truthbrary was also amazing. Mannequins :dead

The second episode was exponentially better than the first. If this is a sign of things to come...

:whew

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »

:foodcourt
©@©™

paprikastaude

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »
censored on youtube  :foodcourt

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2018, 01:15:49 PM »
ISIS is kidnapping you

What will you do to get attention.

"Remove my clothes and scream"

:neogaf

🤴

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2018, 01:23:51 PM »
Nathan Fielder had a director credit on last night's episode, apparently. Can anyone tell which segment it was?
serge

kingv

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2018, 02:10:50 PM »
I need to watch this now that I have read a recap of episode 2.

That’s the Cohen I know and love. Read somewhere Trump might be on this again?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2018, 02:31:23 PM »
The mosque segment was one of the funniest thing I've seen in forever.

I couldn't stop laughing throughout the whole thing.

From the Clinton Foundation funding it. To the option A and B where B is just a larger version of A. To the townpeople trying to explain their racism to him as if he is confused. Just a gem of a piece.

agrajag

« Reply #90 on: July 23, 2018, 02:36:04 PM »

From the Clinton Foundation funding it. To the option A and B where B is just a larger version of A. To the townpeople trying to explain their racism to him as if he is confused. Just a gem of a piece.

Dude I lost my shit whem he said Clinton Foundation. From his delivery, to their reaction, their overt racism, it was a perfect storm. The one redneck trying to explain to him how they "tolerate" black people in their town.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #91 on: July 23, 2018, 02:40:23 PM »

Dude I lost my shit whem he said Clinton Foundation. From his delivery, to their reaction, their overt racism, it was a perfect storm. The one redneck trying to explain to him how they "tolerate" black people in their town.

When he said Clinton Foundation the audience erupted because their entire world view had just been validated. Like yep,  I always knew it! Makes sense kind of head nods.

That is the kind of thing is both funny and realer than traditional news can ever be. It was so delicious.

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #92 on: July 23, 2018, 02:45:17 PM »
Nathan Fielder had a director credit on last night's episode, apparently. Can anyone tell which segment it was?

Nobody knows which one, but if I had to guess it would be the Mosque town hall since he did a very similar thing in the last season of NFY where he had a fake GE town hall.

warcock

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »
Can red dragon be my tag?

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #94 on: July 23, 2018, 03:11:50 PM »
I don't like the characters as much as the Ali G era, but holy shit, the interviews/segments are insane.

curly

• cultural maoist

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2018, 10:42:55 AM »
Cohen's interview on WTF was fascinating.
©ZH

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2018, 11:14:48 AM »
He's so good at slipping in little jokes that are amazing. I love when he talks to Cheney and he asks him which is his favorite war, Iraq 1, Iraq 2, as if they are movies. His fanboy attitude towards cheney is so just sweet, yet diabolical at the same time at disarming Cheney.

and Cheney briefly senses something is kind of off about how the questioned is framed, says something like "i've never heard it put that way," and then immediately answers the question in earnest, bragging about deployment numbers and war toys :lol

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2018, 12:11:30 PM »
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1021533436677382144

Yeah I saw the smirk on his face lol

jesus christ this show is too good

the mosque bit

LOLLLLLLLL
What

agrajag

« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2018, 12:40:43 PM »
I may be jumping the gun a bit since we're only two episodes in, but this might be better than the Ali G show.

kingv

« Reply #103 on: July 25, 2018, 08:20:18 AM »
I watched the first 2 episodes (bless up mom for always getting the biggest cable package and using my first name and birthday as your password).

I think it might be less funny than Ali G show, but not necessarily worse. It’s just way more cringe. Like you’re literally embarrassed for the people. It’s incredibly shocking actually how stupid some people are that are in positions of power.

I think I like the Trump voter the best followed by the Israeli guy.

A few thoughts on skits:
- Bernie came out mostly looking just confused
- I always thought Matt Gaetz was one of the dumber Congressmen, but he’s at least smart enough not to get tricked into making that dumb video.
- the Republican dinner party was max cringe, and the husband seems to be very clearly gay.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #104 on: July 25, 2018, 08:41:09 AM »
Who says conversion therapy doesn't work?

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: July 25, 2018, 08:56:52 AM »
Who wouldnt be gay if ur waking up next to that
What

nudemacusers

« Reply #106 on: July 25, 2018, 10:11:03 AM »
Amazing that at no point the dude thought ‘maybe pulling my pants down and ramming my ass into a NOT mossad agent might look bad’!??!??

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*

nudemacusers

« Reply #108 on: July 25, 2018, 10:36:54 AM »
Impressed that he couldn’t hide until January and reap some sweet bennies in the process.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

kingv

« Reply #109 on: July 25, 2018, 11:12:22 AM »
“I will turn you into a homosexual! USA!”

paprikastaude

« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2018, 11:41:25 AM »
I will infect you with the pheromone blink 182, motherfucker

On a more serious note, I'm glad that it's safe to go to Sierra Leone now. Thanks Borat :rejoice

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2018, 12:26:57 PM »
Yup that place is totally ebola free right now
What

kingv

« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2018, 12:41:30 PM »
I really like how he reverses himself to tell the truth in certain instances, but he does it so slyly that the marks don’t catch on.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #113 on: July 25, 2018, 04:48:15 PM »
First person to step down in the wake of Cohen:
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/georgia-lawmaker-resign-racial-slurs-sacha-baron-cohen/story?id=56802041
"Rep. Jason Spencer has written to Speaker Ralston to announce his resignation from the Georgia House of Representatives effective July 31," a spokesperson for the Georgia House of Representatives told ABC News in a statement Tuesday.

I hope this isn't the last resignation from this program.

naff

« Reply #114 on: July 25, 2018, 06:33:58 PM »
That Olympios piece was pretty fucked. Not a fan
◕‿◕

naff

« Reply #115 on: July 25, 2018, 06:59:15 PM »
Would be less gross if she was someone with any clout, but it was just satire of some rich guy manipulating a young woman tryna milk her 15 minutes of fame? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Missed out on more opportunities to make some points about his character vs. just poking fun at the despo young reality tv wannabe starlet. Surprisingly tone deaf of SBC.

The rest was gold. Haven't been more impressed and confused with an SBC segment than when he got Spencer running backwards with his pants down yelling USA as a counter terrorist measure. I can't.
◕‿◕

Stoney Mason

« Reply #116 on: July 25, 2018, 07:33:14 PM »
Don't agree at all about the idiotic bachelor contestant. She has a brain. She can choose not to participate like everybody else on the show.

Which is the crux of all of this show imo. You don't have to engage in poor behavior because somebody enables you to engage in poor behavior.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2018, 07:40:36 PM »
In an interview, she tried to claim that she felt like her life was in danger. Kind of a pathetic way to weasle out of what she consented to saying.
每天生气

Stoney Mason

« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2018, 07:44:27 PM »
In an interview, she tried to claim that she felt like her life was in danger. Kind of a pathetic way to weasle out of what she consented to saying.

They all have ridiculous excuses as to why they all did what they did. I've seen a number of interviews from the people. Instead of just admitting you know it was a stupid thing I said, and I did, and I apologize and I'll learn from it, there is always an excuse based around the fact we all know. They got tricked.

No duh. We know they got tricked. We know they were lied to. That is the whole point.  (Not aimed at you of course. Aimed at the excuses they toss out)

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #119 on: July 25, 2018, 08:35:56 PM »
I'm sure he's using whatever pressure tactics he can get away with to get the best result. Which in the case of a C-list reality tv star is probably a lot.