Author Topic: Transhuman Annihilated by a Tasmanian  (Read 3414 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Transhuman Annihilated by a Tasmanian
« on: July 16, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
http://www.vulture.com/2018/07/bill-maher-hannah-gadsby-stand-up-comedy.html
Last weekend, as Hannah Gadsby’s Netflix phenomenon Nanette continued to rack up impassioned reviews and think pieces, Bill Maher aired a new HBO special, Live From Oklahoma. If you watch them back-to-back, they seem to be in conversation, or debate. They have core subjects in common, including the cultural and political status of the cisgender straight man in the era of Donald Trump and #MeToo. But just as importantly, they represent comedy’s past and its future. Maher is the past. Gadsby is the future.

Nanette is also a deconstruction of stand-up specials, as well as several generations’ worth of straight male–crafted opinions on what “good comedy” is and what “great art” is.

In Gadsby’s own words, “My show is not stand-up comedy because I got jack of an art form designed by men for men. Female artists often defy genre.”

One way Gadsby does that is by making comedy itself one of her main topics. Among other things, she argues that “jokes” are less useful for describing the totality of the human condition than “stories.” Jokes, she says, are incomplete thoughts expressed in two stages, the setup and punch line (or “a question” and “a surprise answer”). This structure ensures that jokes as a method of communication are always on some level “incomplete,” which means that by definition they can’t really challenge or change anything, and are therefore more conservative than progressive — reinforcing what we already believe rather than entertaining new information or unfamiliar philosophies.

benjipwns

Re: Transhuman Annihilated by a Tasmanian
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 03:19:32 PM »
suck it charity events for childrens hospitals

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
:snoop

benjipwns

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 07:07:53 PM »
“Let’s make art great again, guys,” Gadsby proclaims toward the end of Nanette, tweaking Trump subtly enough that it takes a second to register what she just did.
:rejoice

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 07:28:54 PM »
Everything is art except actual art which is something (pejorative) I could have done but didn't for some strange reason.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 07:38:51 PM »
i tried watching her netflix just now during dinner..... i turned it off. she's not every funny.

curly

• cultural maoist

benjipwns

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 07:57:38 PM »
i tried watching her netflix just now during dinner..... i turned it off. she's not every funny.
hmm, i'm not sure if i trust your review...the article makes it sound hilarious:
She wonders if participating in stand-up comedy as it’s usually defined (by men) is just enshrining negative emotions and reactionary thoughts. Here, again, she’s not so much rejecting an element in the basic toolkit — all stories employ tension to keep us excited or interested — as highlighting how it’s used to propagate ideas that don’t do people like her any favors. “Taking a joke,” from her perspective, is a nonphysical equivalent of taking a punch. The object of the joke is proving that she can withstand pain by laughing. This in turn reassures the joke-teller that it’s okay to say something that’s wounding, that punches down, that reminds particular groups of what society has decided is “their place.” This is how ideology reproduces itself.

To illustrate this idea, Gadsby tells a joke that both she and the audience agree is amusing: “What sort of comedian can’t even make the lesbians laugh? Every comedian ever.” When the room dies down, Gadsby describes that joke as “bulletproof” because it’s constructed in such a way that its target audience — lesbians — are all but required to laugh at it, in order to prove they aren’t humorless. Of course, that’s the entire point of telling that sort of joke: to get everyone to laugh together at the fact that lesbians are sourpusses who can’t take a joke. “We’ve got to laugh because if we don’t laugh, it proves the point,” she says.

We did laugh, though; Gadsby encouraged us and gave us permission. But thanks to her follow-up, which takes the joke apart like a sculptor dissembling an armature, we also understand the hidden intent of its construction. Which means next time, the laughter sticks in the throat. Or maybe it doesn’t. Either way, Gadsby got a laugh out of us, while also making us wonder why we laughed, and what larger social-conditioning role our laughter plays.

That’s a specific kind of magic trick. Gadsby does variations of that trick throughout Nanette, always pulling us along to the next joke, the next deconstruction of a joke, the next touching or wrenching personal anecdote, pointing out at each stage how she’s shaped the material to elicit certain reactions, and how other comedians find their own ways of doing it, whether their larger goal is to stimulate the audience’s imagination, shut down dissent, or just hear themselves talk. How we tell jokes and stories, and whether we decide to tell a joke or a story, expresses who we are and what we believe. Nanette is an attempt to get people to take ownership of their choices and admit that they mean something and reveal something. It’s a reminder that there’s no such thing as “just a joke” or “just a story.”

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 11:22:32 PM »
She should have saved some time and instead of performing Nannette, written a Medium article or something

I'm sure Nannette is popular among comedians who are angry they are not getting recognition, and are convinced that the comedians who are better than them are cheating somehow.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 01:08:53 AM »
Finally TED talks have hit Netflix
:9

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2018, 01:46:31 AM »
Watching this instead of finishing a Blossom post I stopped working on early this morning.

Netflix thinks I'm going to love it even though I just watch cop shows on it. #BlueLivesMatter

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2018, 09:55:47 AM »
i watched it. it had some good laughs but she had some dumb disingenuous points too. overall it was a lot less preachy than i imagined but i wouldn't deem this thing the "future of standup". it was fine i guess but just stating a bunch of opinions without any intended jokes isn't the future, or even the present, of standup.

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2018, 10:36:58 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 03:07:39 PM »
i watched it. it had some good laughs but she had some dumb disingenuous points too. overall it was a lot less preachy than i imagined but i wouldn't deem this thing the "future of standup". it was fine i guess but just stating a bunch of opinions without any intended jokes isn't the future, or even the present, of standup.
of course you'd say that, trying to preserve your precious "status quo" of what comedy is or is not in order to silence progressive and challenging voices, you cis male scum piece of shit

and no, you do not have permission to laugh at this post

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2018, 03:22:56 PM »
:gloomy

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2018, 10:28:02 PM »
I liked it. If it hadn't been for you sarcastic cishet humor shamers whining about it, I'd not have even known it existed, so thanks.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 12:28:48 AM »
Thought it was moderately funny until the Ted talk broke out. Baldly stating things that are true isn't really interesting as entertainment or art.

benjipwns

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 12:36:20 AM »
shorter curly: "i hate things that make me think and challenge my preconceptions about the nature of the human condition rather than reinforcing my status quo dominance over the meaning of art and comedy and who is allowed to participate in it"

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 01:21:14 AM »
I think I am fine never watching this. In a few weeks it'll fade into obscurity (just like Hannah Gadsby) and it'll be like it never even happened

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2018, 02:09:04 AM »
so is this an actual standup routine or some kind of one woman show?

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2018, 09:03:27 AM »
so is this an actual standup routine or some kind of one woman show?
it's a one woman show everyone is calling standup for some reason. like i said above, it has some laughs but is mostly just stories and opinions given in a monologue. i enjoyed it even if i didn't agree with all of it.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 09:54:16 AM »
The Great Gadsby.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
it's a one woman show everyone is calling standup for some reason.

Haven't seen her sit down in the 15 minutes I watched so far. So, one could argue...

benjipwns

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 11:34:33 AM »
she might be funny, it might be worth watching, she might have some valid points :trumps

i was more struck by and thus making fun of the article's breathless hyperbole and nonsense, i'd actually kinda be disappointed to find out that's really how Gadsby views herself/her "art"/comedy rather than it being just her own spin on the genre

but this is the only impassioned review or think piece i've read about the phenomenon despite them racking up

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 07:22:39 AM »
I only made it halfway through. Nothing against it, it just wasn't as earth shattering as I had been led to believe so I stopped. Seemed like a typical comedy special from a smaller comedian. Probably has a bright future ahead of her and maybe I'll find more depth and reverence if revisit when there's more polish in the future specials.

kingv

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 10:28:30 AM »
Sounds really pretentious?

At any point, does she do imitations of Mr T as a gay man?

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »
At the end she goes all #metoo, has a mental breakdown and talks about the 3 times she was raped.

Only part of the show that managed to make me laugh.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2018, 11:22:42 AM »

Goddamn this shit sucks  :fbm

:rejoice
🤴

benjipwns

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2018, 08:04:22 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/24/arts/hannah-gadsby-comedy-nanette.html
The Comedy-Destroying, Soul-Affirming Art of Hannah Gadsby

Perhaps you’ve heard: Hannah Gadsby is angry, and she is amazing.

Ms. Gadsby, an Australian comedian, is the creator of “Nanette,” a stage show turned Netflix special that is lacerating in its fury about how women and queer people like her, and anyone else who might behave or look “other,” get treated, dismissed and silenced. She is unflinching about the abuse that they — that she — endured, and the cultural norms that enabled it. She calls out men, powerful and otherwise.

In stark personal terms, she reveals her own gender and sexual trauma, and doesn’t invite people to laugh at it. “Nanette” is an international sensation, the most-talked-about, written-about, shared-about comedy act in years, exquisitely timed to the #MeToo era. And in its success Ms. Gadsby has perhaps pointed the art form of stand-up in an altogether new direction, even as she has repeatedly vowed, onstage, to quit the business.
The comedian Tig Notaro, who chronicled her cancer diagnosis in a special that also changed her life, said she was “utterly floored” by Ms. Gadsby’s hourlong show. “‘Nanette’ should be required viewing if you’re a human being,” she wrote in an email. “It really takes days to take in everything she presented, to fully comprehend it all.” Ms. Gadsby, she added, was disrupting comedy. “It’s going to be very interesting to see what comedians do post-‘Nanette,’” she wrote. It’s a dividing line. “She cleared the table for necessary regrowth.”
Ms. Gadsby received a diagnosis of *incoherent screeching* spectrum disorder and ADHD.
Sitting at the table, when she waded into a topic she didn’t expect to cover, she seemed a little bashful. But when she knew she had a good joke coming, she prefaced it with a small, sideways smile: Her mind was a half-step ahead of yours. She didn’t want to mention *incoherent screeching* in “Nanette,” she said. “But what I want to do is sort of go, do you know what? There’s value in the differently thinking.”
In her late 20s, on a whim, she entered an open mic competition sponsored by the Melbourne Comedy Festival. It was a weird decision, but she was making a lot of those back then. She was also technically homeless at the time, she said.

She knew she was funny. “It’s how I participated in life without participating,” she said. Her first time at the mic, she did a surreal bit about freezing her dead dog. (“I’ve always been very uplifting.”)

She made it to the state finals, and felt preternaturally comfortable onstage. “I’m frightened of smaller interactions, but I could talk to a large room almost immediately, which is, you know, a backward wiring,” she said.

In retrospect, her inability to engage with the world in standard fashion was related to her *incoherent screeching*. “I could never reconcile how I could be both childlike and really, really smart,” she said. “Like, I’ve got an incredibly high IQ, but I can’t read a bus timetable.”
Audiences are in tears, too. Josh Thomas, a young Australian star who hired Ms. Gadsby as a writer and performer on his TV series “Please Like Me,” about a young man coming out, thought that as a gay man with a supportive family himself, he had it easy.

“But then,” he wrote in an email, “I see storytelling like Hannah’s, where she rages about the homophobia in the world, and I cry and I realize that I grew up with so much shame.”

“Nanette,” he added, “made me question if I could have made more space for people that are different, as well as empowering me to stop people from taking space away from me because I’m different. I feel like it’s permanently changed my point of view.”
“I think that the magic trick of the show is that it is funny, and then it turns funny inside out,” said Mike Birbiglia, the comedian and filmmaker. Of Ms. Gadsby’s skill and polish behind the mic, he said, “You can tell right away, yeah, this is someone who kills all the time, and then is choosing to do something different.”
Comedians from Kumail Nanjiani to Kathy Griffin have tweeted their awe at what Ms. Gadsby accomplished. “It’ll change your life,” Ms. Griffin wrote.
But some comedy purists have taken issue with the idea that “Nanette” is stand-up at all, though it’s billed that way online. Not enough jokes, they say. Mr. Birbiglia, who also made his name with solo stage shows that delved into personal issues, said the show was part of a larger movement in comedy — reflected in the work of Ms. Notaro and others — to reach higher. “It just makes you think, let’s go one step deeper. That’s what it did for me and a lot of comedians,” he said.
In the show, she excoriates Bill Cosby, convicted of sexual assault, and Harvey Weinstein, who is accused of it. Sitting at the dining table, we talked about Louis C.K., whose comedy she didn’t particularly care for even before he admitted to masturbating in front of colleagues. The success of “Nanette,” she said, proved to her there was “a huge thirst for other voices.”
Besides writing a book based on “Nanette,” Ms. Gadsby doesn’t know what she will do next. She’s not eager to get back onstage again. I asked if she was still angry. “Yeah,” she said softly. “My life shouldn’t have been as hard as it was.” But the low self-esteem that plagued her, that she broke down nightly, has been boosted a bit by the glow of “Nanette.” That’s not to say she thinks anyone who’s suffered, survived in silence, should go perform what happened to them.

“Part of what undoes shame is to be heard, to be seen,” she said. “I did that on a grand scale. I don’t want people to look at me and go, see, queer people, this is how it’s done. It’s like, no, this is how it shouldn’t have to be done.

“But it’s important that we start to think about ways that we can hold these stories, or provide a framework for people to not hold all this burden.”

She mentioned Louis C.K. again, and the possibility that he might mount a comeback. “I don’t want to stop him,” she said. “It’s worth just to see, if he does have an audience.”

There were 18 seconds left on my interview tape: I didn’t expect it to take a turn. Ms. Gadsby, of course, had other ideas. “If he does have an audience, then I won’t be quitting stand-up,” Ms. Gadsby said, and laughed. “Quote me on that: If Louis C.K. finds his audience, I will definitely not quit stand-up. Because my work here is not done.

“Say that I said it with a cheeky smile,” she added, and left the table.
LOUIS C.K. ON NOTICE

benjipwns

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »
Aten
Everyone laughed when Hannah said she would become a comedian one day, well, no one is laughing now!

benjipwns

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »
Loring Park Crows
Times Pick
My wife and I were working our way through various stand-up bits on Netflix, and just randomly picked Nanette. Wow, it was spectacular. I can't comprehend how anyone could not be moved.

It's profound and I spent a lot of time reflecting on my own life and that of my three young children.

The humanity, intellect, and wisdom is undeniable.

I can't believe anyone could find anything to criticize, but go ahead and pout if you must.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2018, 08:12:11 PM »
If I wanted a sense of the profound I'd go finger fuck a tree on mescaline

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2018, 07:11:15 AM »
http://junkee.com/hannah-gadsby-isnt-quitting-comedy/169325

Remember that time Gadsby said she'd quit comedy, but didn't. And said she'd released a comedy special, but hadn't?

benjipwns

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2018, 07:26:06 AM »
Since Nanette blew up, Gadsby has switched between chatting to media and slamming shitty comedians on Twitter.
let us know when she gets to you

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2018, 08:05:59 AM »
Twitter?

:snob

I only post my thoughts on the most exclusive video-game forums

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »
This is the trend now. Same thing that happened with Caitlin Jenner and more recent that little boy drag queen.

It's like this shit is championed now. If you're a female acting like a female that's oppressive patriarchy bullshit. But if you're a trans or a gay boy acting like a female it's marvelous!

Now if you're unfunny comedian but LESBIAN wow it's breaking new ground. It's revolutionary!

Hollywood and the media are fucking warped.

benjipwns

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2018, 08:27:04 PM »
This is the trend now. Same thing that happened with Caitlin Jenner and more recent that little boy drag queen.

It's like this shit is championed now. If you're a female acting like a female that's oppressive patriarchy bullshit. But if you're a trans or a gay boy acting like a female it's marvelous!

Now if you're unfunny comedian but LESBIAN wow it's breaking new ground. It's revolutionary!

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2018, 09:07:02 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Well Boy G

if you're going to mock me at least give me evidence of me being wrong. Or do you think Caitlin Jenner rightfully deserved to be "woman of the year" after getting breasts 6 months prior but still having a penis? Or athlete of the year despite not competing in anything for over 2 decades lol  All the while killing a mother in a traffic accident a few weeks before hand because the sicko was on her phone or whatever.

No one gave a fuck about Bruce during the Kardashians, he was a punching bag, But then? Toast of hollywood. lol sick fucks

See, shit like this makes me think a lot of you are totally brain fucked.

benjipwns

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2018, 09:10:36 PM »
if you're going to mock me at least give me evidence of me being wrong. Or do you think Caitlin Jenner rightfully deserved to be "woman of the year" after getting breasts 6 months prior but still having a penis? Or athlete of the year despite not competing in anything for over 2 decades lol  All the while killing a mother in a traffic accident a few weeks before hand because the sicko was on her phone or whatever.

No one gave a fuck about Bruce during the Kardashians, he was a punching bag, But then? Toast of hollywood. lol sick fucks

:neogaf

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2018, 09:15:06 PM »

:neogaf

:huh

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2018, 09:41:00 PM »

who fucking cares

benjipwns

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2018, 09:44:06 PM »
I forget who posted this (or where) but it essentially challenges a lot of Gadsby's innovative groundbreaking reframing of stand up comedy as not having jokes but being stories and so removing all humor and just talking about all the terrible things that have happened in your life while everyone shuts up with their ignorant unapproved laughter and LISTENS.

:joker TOOL OF THE STATUS QUO :joker

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2018, 09:56:31 PM »

who fucking cares
Curly so edgy

:pimp

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2018, 10:19:20 PM »
imagine being such a sadsack that you care about Caitlyn Jenner winning some award

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2018, 10:37:23 PM »
imagine being such a sadsack that you care about Caitlyn Jenner winning some award
why make everything into 'caring' ?

fuckin autisties

benjipwns

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2018, 11:05:32 PM »
you're the one who rolled up in a thread not involving her to bitch about her and some award she won from media wankery as if it meant something :lol

Coax

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2018, 01:58:42 AM »
He was a punching bag... but then? Toast of hollywood

Or do you think Caitlin Jenner rightfully deserved to be "woman of the year" after getting breasts 6 months... Or athlete of the year despite not competing in anything for over 2 decades lol

https://youtu.be/Zere8WRepGo?t=1062

:doge

benjipwns

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2018, 02:19:09 AM »
Joe and Assy can calm down, she didn't win Athlete of the Year, that was Stephen Curry and Ronda Rousey. She won the Arther Ashe Courage Award at the ESPY's, an award that also includes Nelson Mandela and Eunice Shriver among the luminaries. The latter winning eight years after she died.

BlueTsunami

• The Muffin Man
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2018, 06:36:07 AM »
I forget who posted this (or where) but it essentially challenges a lot of Gadsby's innovative groundbreaking reframing of stand up comedy as not having jokes but being stories and so removing all humor and just talking about all the terrible things that have happened in your life while everyone shuts up with their ignorant unapproved laughter and LISTENS.

:joker TOOL OF THE STATUS QUO :joker

Yeah she's awesome and proves you can still be self depricative and profound. She went through some horrible shit snd came out the other end with a story to tell framed in an amusing light. Comedy!