`
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:34:49 AM by Borys »

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
Re: Suikoden II will be my 200th RPG...
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2018, 11:54:58 AM »

That being said:

- How the fuck is there no Y's game on this list :lol

- If you're looking for one starting with X that ISN'T the obvious Xenogears/Xenosaga:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xanadu_(video_game)

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 12:23:22 PM »
How the fuck you gonna be a Yuropeen and never beaten any Phantasy Star games? II and IV are some of the best rpgs from that era, hands down.

yar

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 02:49:31 PM »
201. Quest 64
202. Xenogears
203. Zwei!
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2018, 02:52:12 PM »
How the fuck you gonna be a Yuropeen and never beaten any Phantasy Star games? II and IV are some of the best rpgs from that era, hands down.

(Image removed from quote.)

Was Phantasy Star popular in Europe?

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »
That list is the kind of nerdy thing I'd like to compile but I'm way too lazy to do.

Raist

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2018, 03:02:46 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Was Phantasy Star popular in Europe?

Yep. Sega platforms were in general way more popular than in the US, too. Pretty sure the Megadrive outsold the SNES even.

Bebpo

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 03:47:37 PM »
Oh cool, yeah here in So Cal the genesis was pretty underrated. I never even owned one, just played at a friends and we'd just play like the Joe Montana football game and Sonic.

Never played Phantasy Stars or Shining Forces or anything because of that. I did try playing PS2 on the Sega Ages release but it felt realllly dated and couldn't get into it sadly  :'(

Raist

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2018, 03:55:54 PM »
Oh cool, yeah here in So Cal the genesis

No no, Megadrive.

I never even owned one, just played at a friends and we'd just play like the Joe Montana football.

Handegg.

:bolo

paprikastaude

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2018, 04:38:46 PM »
In Phantasy Star IV it's annoying that you need the manual/a guide to look up what each combat command does, but otherwise it's pretty good. Quick paced with good music and can be beat in like 20 hours max.

Either way, I also bought Suikoden II early this year but haven't gotten around to it yet. I finally don't have too many JRPGs I still want to play at this point when it comes to big hitters. Though every now and then there's still some somewhat intriguing title I find from the past. If only these games were shorter.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 04:43:56 PM by Spieler1 »

Svejk

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 08:46:30 PM »
Wish I could remember what all RPGs I played.   :doge (Or finished for that matter.) I know it all started with Phantasy Star 1 for me.

I actually played through Suikoden II about a year ago, since i never finished it back then.   IMO, that game has aged pretty well.  The intro still gives me goose bumps to this day.

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2018, 09:28:32 PM »
Oh cool, yeah here in So Cal the genesis was pretty underrated. I never even owned one, just played at a friends and we'd just play like the Joe Montana football game and Sonic.

Never played Phantasy Stars or Shining Forces or anything because of that. I did try playing PS2 on the Sega Ages release but it felt realllly dated and couldn't get into it sadly  :'(

yar

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2018, 10:46:58 PM »
I don’t think I’ve played 200 games yet finish yet rpg
dur

Himu

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »
borys i told you to play these games like ten years ago. just like how i told you to play megaten games but you didn't do that either!!

here are the benefits of suikoden:

-world spanning mythos that go from game to game. the GOAT in this regard as it shows more and more of the world each new entry.
-political story inspired by classic chinese folk novel
- hundreds of characters, V arguably has the best development in a game of its cast I have ever seen
- lots of character variety in terms of race, gender. It has among the strongest cast of female characters in an rpg. Suikoden III especially.
- epic stories of destiny and the trials of war
- amazing character art
- amazing music

Bad things about Suikoden:

- it will break your heart because it is dead
- it's generally story-based so the gameplay (like dungeon design) isn't the best, but it's besides the point.
- IV

Normally I would suggest starting with 1 as it makes playing II an even bigger revelation. It's harder to appreciate what goes into II in terms of world building, character building, et al without having playing I. That said, each game stands on its own. Suikoden II stands as the last great 2d jrpg. I guess you could say Valkyrie Profile but that's in its own league and hardly entirely 2d. Suikoden II stands as a swan song to a gone era. Enjoy it. It is in my top 10 and was my favorite game for several years.

Suikoden remains my favorite jrpg series. Enjoy :rejoice
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2018, 01:25:28 AM »
Doom RPG :confused

Calling Zelda games RPGs  :whatisthis

No Pokémon games  :nope

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 02:59:58 AM »
ANACHRONOX FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also u should play more Megaten, fucker

Human Snorenado

• Icon
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 03:06:53 AM »
Doom RPG :confused

Calling Zelda games RPGs  :whatisthis

No Pokémon games  :nope

Also, calling Castlevania games rpgs other than maaaaaaaybe Symphony of the Night?

Acting like "beating" a Diablo game is worthy of mention if you don't spend untold hours grinding the shit out of it after finishing the story???

:cmonson
yar

paprikastaude

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2018, 06:18:18 AM »
I want Doom RPG but it's only on iOS...

Either way, I also bought Suikoden II early this year but haven't gotten around to it yet. I finally don't have too many JRPGs I still want to play at this point when it comes to big hitters. Though every now and then there's still some somewhat intriguing title I find from the past. If only these games were shorter.

There's too many "classic" series I didn't even touch yet:

- Phantasy Star
- Xeno games
- Tales Of... games
- Kingdom Hearts (only played the GBA spin off)
- Persona (!!!)
- Shin Megami Tensei
- Fire Emblem
- Etrian Odyssey (would be RIGHT UP my alley)
- Valkyrie Profile
- etc.

Each of those series has like 4 - 5 titles and each of those titles is like 40 - 100 hours long. Jesus, I would have to quit my job & family to beat them now :(

@Himuro,
I've finished Suikoden 1. It was indeed great!!!

Get on SMT. In Europe I didn't take notice of it until some years ago either and now it's already my favorite JRPG series with like 8 games finished (hough some were junk like some PS2 spinoffs). And some games like Strange Journey are like Etrian Odyssey "classic" dungeon crawling except without the pedo feel, so it's the better choice.

Himu

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2018, 08:45:37 AM »
I highly suggest you get into SMT, Borys. It's an old school dungeon crawler series inspired by Wizardry.

Suikoden 1 was great to you? You should love II then. It improves on everything in established in 1. Do you have your save file for 1 still?
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2018, 08:49:32 AM »
You can start with SMT1 on your iphone if you have it.

And then you can branch out and play Nocturne or something later. All later SMT games did was remove the first perso perspective but the formula is still there. I wouldn't start on SMTV because they may or may not try to appeal to the Persona babies.

SMT1 is short as shit.

Then when you're done with Suikoden II you can maybe play Nocturne eventually. A good place to start with modern SMT games is 3Nocturne and Digital Devil Saga. DDS has no demon capturing motif of traditional SMT but it's got the dungeon crawling down to a tee and might have some of the best dungeons in the franchise. It's helpful that DDS has one of the coolest stories in a ps2 rpg. As for Persona I prefer 3 but others prefer 4. I think 3 is the better game and a better introduction to the franchise but whatever floats your boat.

You can't go wrong with either four of those games as intro to SMT.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:00:23 AM by Cindi Mayweather »
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2018, 10:47:39 AM »
Why is SMT1 only untranslated on android  :snoop

I know peopled liked DDS, but I consider both of them the worst games I ever finished. I only kept going because I had them digital and was interested in the story, but the gameplay without the actual series' main hook was incredibly dull and annoying. Nocturne is legit though, as most other entries.

Himu

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2018, 10:53:02 AM »
The dungeons tho.

Power plant in DDS2.
The castle in DDS1.

The final dungeon in DDS1. It's best to just see it as a spin off that it is. Like an SMT version of FFX, which is what it is.

And DDS worse than Raidou 1?!

I really disagree but eh, opinions. I think both DDS games are great but it's best to not go in expecting traditional SMT. Which is exactly why it wouldn't be a bad first SMT for Borys. Borys loves dungeon crawlers and DDS is dungeon crawler as fuck. It'll show the series flow of dungeon crawling and help him get used to spells and weaknesses and elements and all that. Combined they're same length as Nocturne too. And if he likes that he can go on to Nocturne.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2018, 11:09:13 AM »
I remember liking the aesthetics of the dungeons... but I was mostly irritated by what felt like a NES-tier random encounter rate mixed with battles that last way longer than in most other iterations. For a long time you also can't really customize your characters, because you level so slowly especially in DDS1. I know that I'm in the minority, though I still wouldn't recommend these games as a starting point for the series in particular, since they lack one of its core components.

Himu

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2018, 11:12:03 AM »
The random battle rate is about as common as in 3's. :yeshrug But I getchu
IYKYK

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »
201. Quest 64
202. Xenogears
203. Zwei!

I could "link" Zelda under "Z" ;) but Zwei! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwei:_The_Arges_Adventure ???) sounds fun enough. Thanks for the tip Joe.

I'm actually playing the sequel (even though it was released in America first), The Ilvard Insurrection. It's a decent game with some great dialogue, but when it comes to Falcom action RPGs, Ys and Xanadu Next are better bets (and not too long either!)

Borys, I definitely recommend some of the Wild Arms series, the Phantasy Star series, Lufia 2, Live A Live, and some of the SaGa games...
^_^

Himu

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2018, 01:53:31 PM »
Xenogears is still great. Replayed it a few years back.
IYKYK

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2018, 02:25:03 PM »
Borys seems to always be one step ahead of me.

"Hrmm...I think I'll play breath of fire after I'm done with Shining force"
<Borys is playing breath of fire>
"After that I think I'll play Suikoden 1 and 2"
<Borys makes a thread about playing Suikoden 2"
que

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2018, 07:13:36 AM »
Still make sure you play Suikoden II though :)
^_^

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »
False advertising, lock this shit thread.
©@©™

Raist

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2018, 02:53:39 PM »
False advertising, lock this shit thread.

More like, ban him.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2018, 04:08:47 PM »
Borys is a gaming beast
What

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2018, 07:11:53 PM »
Xenogears would be great...if you could just speed up the text. There's absolutely no reason it should be anywhere close to that close.
que

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Re: Transistor was actually my 200th RPG... (Suikoden 2 next)
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 04:54:50 PM »
How do you remember what you finished 30 years ago stary

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
I need to go through the RPGs I've beaten one of these days, don't think it's quite up there with Borys but it's up there...
^_^

Himu

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2018, 12:54:26 AM »
I'm at a point where if I think of Suikoden I can't help but cry.

:tocry
IYKYK

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2018, 01:35:19 AM »
Breath of Fire IV is a must not just because it's good, but because of it's GOAT status for jrpg spritework. So purty.
◕‿◕