Author Topic: In Appreciation of Physical Media (Books, Movies, CDs, Vinyl, Vidya WDYB Thread)  (Read 2361 times)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Now that streaming has taken over as the preferred way to consume movies, Blu-Rays can finally return to their rightful place as a boutique industry like LDs and the early days of DVDs. No longer must we suffer the microaggressions of seeing our grandparents owning the Benjamin Button: Criterion Collection DVD.

Possess physical items, brehs. #everystagecapitalism :rejoice :preach :snob :expert

©@©™

Tasty

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Tasty

Executing Order 66
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 03:11:37 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I got the UHD Nolan Collection. Feels like owning a piece of history.
🤴

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Change thread title to the "Novice Hoarding Disorder Club"

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
I feel like at this point, I have to be getting close to Intermediate level.
©@©™

jakefromstatefarm

i covet books and have spent way too much expendable income (and even some unexpendable income :kobeyuck ) on them. Get your digital utopian :piss takes out the way, nothing makes me feel more :snob than pretending to own an enlightenment salon.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 05:32:31 PM by jakefromstatefarm »

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Only upside of physical media is you can sell it

Which is what I do with all games

Books are for giving away

Blu rays lol

Coax

Outside of expensive and exclusive services that cater to home theater-philes like Kaleidescape (or if you're in cinema projection and walk off with the DCPs) Ultra HD Blu-Rays will still remain the primary source for high bitrate, high fidelity films at native res. UHD reaching consumer level was the best thing to happen to video releases in years.

Gimme that image quality

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 08:01:35 PM by Coax »

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
yar

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
I picked up a copy of Metamodern Sounds in Country Music by Sturgill Simpson while I was on vacation. First time I've seen a copy of the record out in the wild. Picked up a copy for myself and one for a friend. I haven't had a chance to spin it just yet.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
If I'm paying full price for something, I'd rather have the physical copy.
🍆🍆

Rahxephon91

I prefer Blu ray/UHD Blus for movies as I just think they look the best. And if I'm going to watch a movie I want it to look as good as I can get.

I love UHD Blu rays. The format has been fantastic for me with the movies looking better than I could ever imagine. Though regular Blus can still look impressive. In general the blu ray format has kind of been the ultimate movie format. I love it. A good transfer is as close to an actual film print as I can get.

https://i.imgur.com/PAtLjEX.jpg
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:34:50 AM by Rahxephon91 »

Himu

physical <3
IYKYK

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️

Got this HR Giger book a couple of weeks ago at a used book sale.

Also:

And I found this book of Edward Gorey stories when I was up in Asheville recently.

nudemacusers

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Atramental

• 🧘‍♂️

Oh, and I also got two Wes Anderson movies on Blu-ray.

Eventually I want to have them all on hand next time I have another "indie/hipster" girl over at my place to watch a movie.  :doge

jorma

i'll go back to physical when i can download a car from pirate bay, until then i'm so over it.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
Went ahead and got myself the ultimate absurdity. A vinyl made out of plants and wood

What an album. Also did get that 1/4 limited VHS from Tommy Wiseau in there, a test press of their older release, and two very limited editions of The Armed - Only Love (Editions you can actually play, without plants on them)

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 09:13:11 AM by Mr Gilhaney »

Coax

Speaking of Big Ls

Best transfer of it yet. UHD Blu-Ray delivers :win

Maiden Voyage

• Junior
I picked up the new Colter Wall LP last week. Went looking for Dose Your Dreams by Fucked Up too but had no luck.

Maiden Voyage

• Junior

Picked these two up. DYD would cause some nasty skating so I had to rebalance my tonearm. :P

Overall, I think the Parquet Courts album sounds better/clearer/higher quality. It might just be because FU mastered with more layering or something similar. It fucking bangs on my stereo system, tho.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 09:04:40 PM by Maiden Voyage »

Coax

Alien 40th Anniversary (both cuts), The Shining (US cut) and Apocalypse Now 40th Anniversary steelbook (all three cuts) with limited edition cover art by Laurent Durieux. First time watching all three.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
©@©™

Potato

• Senior's Member
Spent Christmas packing away all my DVDs/Blu Rays and almost all my physical games.

I went digital with a Kindle way back with the Kindle keyboard 3G even though I love physical books. I buy my kids hard copy books, because I think kids should learn to love books and love to hold them.

I have started collecting a little vinyl because who can resist that large format cover art. I only buy certain artists on vinyl though or some classics that I want to have available. All my old CDs are in storage outside of a few that I like to have on hand.
Spud

Rman

I'm back to physical--mostly books and magazines. 

Games, TV, and movies I prefer digital.

Mostly because I want a reprieve from the internet and smartphones. It's nice to get away from screens.

Coax

I'm back to physical--mostly books and magazines. Games, TV, and movies I prefer digital.

Definitely favor physical for most books. For music and films my preference is really just down to which medium offers the best quality for the most part. They'll all end up on a drive for playback convenience. Thankfully in the last decade there's been an increase in online stores selling lossless music, so I tend to check online first, otherwise I'll buy CDs and rip.

Films OTOH haven't really seen that so far wrt to disc-equivalent quality (the sole exceptions would be the hardware DRM'd Kaleidescape service and very indie releases) so I stick with physical. The physical artwork for particular releases can be a factor though, like the Apocalypse Now steelbook above.