Author Topic: Tea  (Read 2263 times)

nudemacusers

Tea
« on: August 09, 2018, 12:35:12 AM »
Let’s talk about it

Picked up some Malawi antler tea today; yes, im steeping twigs:

It’s pretty good, not as smooth as my silver tips, but goes in woodier direction with sweet floral hints and a mild peach flavor. Steps real quick (1 minute tops) else you get an excessive amount of the dry bitterness from the wood; like chewing those flavored roots you find at import stores. Good for 3-4 rounds tho.

Rating: Ultimately, while good and interesting, I’d rather pay a premium and get silver tips.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
Re: Tea
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
Drinking some gyokuro I picked up from the NY Coffee and Tea Festival earlier this year. I'm open to all types of tea but I think masala chai, oolong, and genmaicha are faves, and pu-erh is my least fave. Nudemac, where do you get your tea from?
^_^

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 02:08:35 PM »
as expressed before, im lucky i live in the only spot on earth rooibos tea grows

Himu

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 02:44:02 PM »
Tea is bae if bae were a drink
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 04:36:38 PM »

took this photo a few days ago to show my moss plant to a friend but it has some brewed tea and my setup on display so whatev

the tea is a first flush darjeeling from namring upper which cost maybe way too much but is supposedly the champagne among all darjeeling teas this year. that said, it's a complex tea with lots of layers so it's only natural i somewhat struggle brewing it but regardless of whether it's perfectly brewed or not, its flavor palette gradually unravels (mango, grapes, nutty) as it cools down revealing the vast depth of this tea. it's very rewarding though not an everyday type drink

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 05:20:08 PM »
less so on the price and more so in the sense that it requires your full attention

Himu

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
So I flip between bags and loose leaf. I greatly prefer leaf but bags are so much cheaper. I haven’t bought loose leaf in a few years. Should buy some green tea leaves tomorrow when I get the chance.

I also need a new kettle. I bought an electric kettle but the water didn’t taste as good as stove top boiled water and there was stuff forming at the bottom of the kettle even cleaning. So I’ve been using a stove top kettle. I hate it because it takes forever to heat up, though. But I’m so skeptical about e kettles after my last one.

Also want to buy matcha powder. I’ve had matcha in bag form and in mochi ice cream but never in powder form.
IYKYK

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 05:28:55 PM »
i could drink green tea all day

Himu

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 05:29:54 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BTM800XL-One-Touch-Tea-Maker/dp/B003LNOPSG/ref=sr_1_6?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1533849996&sr=1-6&keywords=breville+electric+kettle

I have this thing and it's pretty amazing;  no babysitting just enter a temperature and how long the tea should steep and it heats the water then dips the tea for you using the basket which is on an electronic arm.

Thank you God!!! :rejoice
IYKYK

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 05:31:04 PM »
I can't believe I used to think nudemac was a sophisticated dude. He's eating sticks lol

Himu

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 05:32:35 PM »
Wait, that thing is 200?!
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 05:38:53 PM »

Himu

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »
Wait, that thing is 200?!

I know right?  Almost too cheap for me to have on my counter but I just tell people it was $500.

:snob

Jesus wish I had that lifestyle
IYKYK

nudemacusers

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 11:17:08 AM »

Delicious :lawd
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

G The Resurrected

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 10:40:44 PM »
So I'm a coffee nut, but lately I haven't been getting my fix from my espresso. I started exploring some of the teas the missus had in the house and found myself becoming addicted to some afternoon tea. She had a lot of different Lupicia teas and I'm really digging their Honey Dew melon and Momo oolong. I've got this great electric kettle from Fellow that has a timer built in and  syncs with an app to get the perfect cup of coffee or in this case tea. That with the quick release teavana contraption we have and you end up with god tier tea! I'm looking at getting some other teas but so far I'm sold.

nudemacusers

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 11:47:56 AM »

Sri Lanka silver needle to warm me up for brunch :lawd
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »
Store brand black tea. Throw milk and sugar in that shit.

Got all y'all outclassed.

EVOL

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 03:26:59 AM »
I just make some Moroccan mint tea. Best of both worlds, mint and green  :lawd

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 08:46:13 PM »

today's tea: bai shu raw pu erh in mao cha form, aged for three years and counting

it's been interesting seeing how this tea matured through the years. three years ago it was the embodiment of freshness, with a strong floral aroma that smelled of freshly bloomed flowers with a hint of sweetness that made you delay brewing the 2nd cup to savor every last bit of it. the body was overly astringent, overpowering the subtle sweetness and fruity flavors of the leaves. however, astringency is typically what you want out of a very young pu erh. i had never tasted a more fresh leaf but i def prefered the aroma over the tea itself

today that floral aroma doesn't fill the room as it once used to. in its place has developed a smell with more depth and roundness. these qualities are also being exhibited in the body, with the slight hints of sweetness being more pronounced but still exhibiting that astringent quality you associate with younger pu erhs. in other words, it's much smoother. the latter is most likely because i didn't properly age mao cha but then again, it's fucking mao cha. you let that shit age in either a tea container or a nitrogen sealed bag.

i prefer the body of the drink after it has aged but overall prefer the aroma of the leaf at its youngest

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2018, 04:43:24 PM »

today's tea: yunnan purple beauty green tea

the tea leaves were processed as a green tea yet the taste is more reminiscent of rock oolongs (dan cong/wu yi). it's a very warm and malty tasting tea with a hint of sweetness and bitterness that becomes more pronounced with longer steep times.

it produces a grey/purple liquor that is more grey/translucent with shorter steep times and more purple with longer steep times.

overall, a fantastic and very unique tea, especially at its price point.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
i drink lots of trash cheap black teas and you can't shame me out of it

i'll claim it helps pay for and improves the experience of actual good teas

agrajag

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 05:36:07 PM »
i drink lots of trash cheap black teas and you can't shame me out of it

i'll claim it helps pay for and improves the experience of actual good teas

You and me both. Tbh, where I'm from black tea is the only kind of tea, so it still feels weird to me seeing people calling other things tea.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 05:48:09 PM »
neither of those two teas cost me more than $30 combined?

and i guess if using a oneplus6 makes me a 1%er...

:success
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:53:06 PM by TEEEPO »

nudemacusers

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 05:57:35 PM »
teeepo where the fuck do you get the money for this shit :lol

and the fancy pics to boot wtf? fucking 1%er ITT
tea isn't that expensive for the amount you get IMO, outside of the rare pu'er stuff that is like $1000+/oz. the silver tips I posted earlier is about $200/pound which sounds insane but that is also a fuckload of tea. It takes me a solid month to go through an oz.

but then you have stuff like this which just seems wack to me:
https://www.mariagefreres.com/UK/2-the-blanc-sacre-harvested-with-golden-scisors-TJ3001.html
A secret estate in Ceylon, nestling between sun and moon, is where Mariage Frères has now revived a ancient Chinese tradition.

Women wearing fine gloves collect the sole pekoe (bud) of the imperial harvest with golden scissors, taking care not to harm the shoots.
At no moment do the hands of the pickers—or of the planter—touch these leaves. The gloves prevent this risk, leaving the tea immaculate.
Pure of any taint, this white tea is low in theine and naturally contains more antioxidants than any other green tea.
I like a lot of Mariages blends but ~4tsp for $80 is stupid.

also the 1st flush I posted is amazing. I think once my genmaicha and misc greens run out i'll try some senchas I haven't messed w yet, prob gyokuro.

﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »
now gyokuru, that shit is expensive and even more so given the water/tea ratio

nudemacusers

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2018, 06:04:19 PM »
yeah i keep waffling.  :lol
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2018, 06:21:22 AM »
lapsang is the one. bonfire in a cup.

nudemacusers

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2018, 08:45:17 AM »
I just can't get into lapsang. :( Instead of drinking my tin I've just used it in caramel and bbq sauce (which works amazingly btw0.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2018, 07:41:26 PM »
i like the sound of lapsang caramel. i dont fuck with tea thats too fancy. we have a store called t leaf and an organics store that does loose leaf lapsang and some green teas i get occasionally. lapsang is my jam. often mix it with some earl grey. i imagine im a philistine doing this, but idgaf.
◕‿◕

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2018, 10:15:14 PM »
there is no tea that is as dividing as lapsang. i've had a tin of some for well over a decade that i haven't attempted to brew since i took two sips immediately following its arrival in the mail. i've used it in place of liquid smoke a few times and as a rub for lamb. roasted/smoke teas gradually lose their smokiness when aged but even so, i'm not tempted to give it another shot. to each their own

the lapsang china exports is heavily smoked for western tastebuds (not to mention the good majority of it is old unsold tea) compared to the lapsang intended for the chinese market, which is either lightly smoked or not smoked at all. i'd be curious to try the unsmoked lapsang but with the existence of jin jun mei, a highly coveted tea (and one of the most expensive per ounce) that is made from the same tea bushes as real lapsang from the wuyi region, why bother? and for the lightly smoked version, i'd like to see the flavors unravel after multiple brews but finding it outside of china is rather difficult, if not, next to impossible. most lapsang is exported, leaving very little for the chinese

for fans of lapsang, you should give some roasted wuyi oolongs a try

and it's common to use lapsang in mixes, e.g. russian caravan.

G The Resurrected

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2018, 11:24:50 PM »
I nominate TEEEPO to be renamed STEEEPO!

I’m enjoying this oolong milk tea tonight with a shot of espresso on top.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 05:29:12 PM »

today's tea: gong ting ripe pu-erh in tangerine

ripe pu-erh's flavors don't inspire me much with their one dimensional smoky earth palates but this is has been one of my go to's for years, especially during the colder months where the combination of the dried citrus results in a very smooth and easy drink.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2018, 09:33:01 PM »
I'm bumping this because I want to start drinking more tea and have little or no idea where to start so I just got a big variety box: https://www.amazon.com/Twinings-Bags-Sampler-Assortment-Variety/dp/B075F9Y19M/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1535938347&sr=8-3&keywords=tea+variety+box

Hopefully after I work my way through that box I'll have an idea of what tastes better than others.
🍆🍆

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2018, 12:18:01 AM »
Twinings is pretty decent all things considered for grocery store box tea. I'd say it'll work decently just for discovering flavors. Then once you find stuff you really like, you can start mainlining the cheapo stuff, while looking into the fancy gay crap above to see how good it can really taste.

Looking at that picture, you are going to have some you dump instantly though. :lol

nudemacusers

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
Drinking some gyokuro I picked up from the NY Coffee and Tea Festival earlier this year. I'm open to all types of tea but I think masala chai, oolong, and genmaicha are faves, and pu-erh is my least fave. Nudemac, where do you get your tea from?
whoa thought I replied to this :(

I get most of it from harney & sons; good selection of obscure stuff mixed with the usual suspects, plus I get 20% off every order so that's nice... Otherwise I've nabbed some misc things from bellocq, fortnum & mason, mark t wendell, mariages freres, and others... but 90% is harney for the reasons above.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

nudemacusers

« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2018, 08:41:01 PM »
I'm bumping this because I want to start drinking more tea and have little or no idea where to start so I just got a big variety box: https://www.amazon.com/Twinings-Bags-Sampler-Assortment-Variety/dp/B075F9Y19M/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1535938347&sr=8-3&keywords=tea+variety+box

Hopefully after I work my way through that box I'll have an idea of what tastes better than others.
lady grey is pretty nice actually; twinings is good stuff. but IMO if you find you like earl grey, you should hit up taylors of harrogate, it's a very assertive and balanced take on the blend.

and yeah, you'll probably hate some of them. such is the nature of things. like I'm sure it's not bad, but why bother with decaf irish breakfast? half the appeal is the roasted flavor and the heart palpitations hitting in unison. :lol

edit: latest order:

Japanese Sencha - Loose / 8 oz. Tin
Orange Pekoe (Ceylon & India) - Loose / 8 oz. Tin
Hao Ya 'A' - Loose / 4 oz. Tin

curious about the last, the rest are known quantities. I pussed out of getting gyokuro :( Maybe next time.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2018, 09:46:29 PM »
Then once you find stuff you really like, you can start mainlining the cheapo stuff, while looking into the fancy gay crap above to see how good it can really taste.

:jeanluc

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2018, 09:51:09 PM »
i just received my new batch of tea from taiwan sourcing

1x Songboling Organic Taiwan Sourcing "Emerald Isle" Green Tea - 25 grams / 2018 Spring
  1x Competition Grade Classical Oriental Beauty Oolong Tea - Summer 2017 - 25 grams
  1x Dong Ding Competition Grade "Emperor" Roasted Oolong Tea - 25 grams / Winter 2017
  1x Certified Organic Cape Jasmine Taiwan Oolong Tea - 50 grams / Spring 2018
  1x Nanou Organic "Pacific Bud" Roasted Tie Guan Yin Oolong Tea - Spring 2018 - 25 grams
  1x Mingjian Organic #18 "Red Lion" Black Tea - 25 grams / Winter 2017
  1x Gaofeng Organic "Citrus Noon" Oolong Tea - 75 grams / Spring 2018 / Run Dry

this thread is about to get even more gay  :delicious

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2018, 01:14:20 AM »
dude from the tea store gave me a bunch of Dong Ding Oolong when i bought some Lapsang earlier. Haven't tried it yet.

Also got some Oriental Beauty Oolong (i think, forget exact name, threw away the bag), a Pu-erh (would make an interesting addition to a 'buch i think, also enjoyed the flavour).

They had these wild matcha brewing setups i was pretty tempted by. Haven't been drinking or smoking for nearly a month now, replacing my cool habits with ocd weeb shit liek brewing fancy teas :doge  :snoop
◕‿◕

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2018, 05:52:06 AM »
Found a ton of tea shops in Kyoto and went pretty ham. Almost as bad as I did in Akihabara...
^_^