Author Topic: Windjammers 2 Announced  (Read 1180 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Windjammers 2 Announced
« on: August 20, 2018, 01:22:20 PM »
Currently announced for Switch and PC.  Hope it's good...Dot Emu is making this themselves.

ど助平

Tasty

Re: Windjammers 2 Announced
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 02:50:36 PM »
What year will the Flash game aesthetic seem quaint and retro?

Cause it ain't now.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 02:55:01 PM »
What year will the Flash game aesthetic seem quaint and retro?

Cause it ain't now.

Would rather have 16-bit style sprites, yeah.  Or cel-shaded polys if they can't do that.

To me it looks like they're going for the "HD tracing" art style that games like Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix used.  Wouldn't be surprised to find that they just modified stuff from the original game and then drew new art on top of it.

There's also already Disc Jam, which is a 3D version of Windjammers that you can already get on pretty much every platform out there.  Still, hey, it's Windjammers and if they can do a good job with it, I'm there.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2018, 03:04:48 PM »
Yeah I think they're going for the HD tracing style but it's so budget (and the colors are so all over the place) it looks like upper-shelf Newgrounds work circa 2006.

Seems fun tho.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »
The gaudy insane colors are to go with the cheesy 90s aesthetic, so that part's OK. 
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2018, 04:04:47 PM »
Neat, but agree would rather cel-shaded or even sprites...this SFHD trace jank looks pretty gross at a glance.Hopefully turns out decent.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2018, 05:37:05 PM »
Looks pretty ugly, tbh. While I love the original, and own the PS4 remaster, I'm not quite sure what a sequel could really add... also if we're doing Neo Geo sequels, how about a HD 2D SamSho, a SamSho RPG English release, or a new Shock Troopers?
^_^