Author Topic: Guacamelee 2 Thread - Wooo it's out  (Read 910 times)

Bebpo

Guacamelee 2 Thread - Wooo it's out
« on: August 22, 2018, 02:34:58 AM »
Started playing Guacamelee 2. Feels a lot like the first game so far at the first temple. Which is ok because the first game is still good stuff. Definitely enjoying the platforming challenges in the game with mixing up the dodges and super moves. Hope the game kinda differentiates itself from the first a bit and isn't just the first game but with some new abilities and 4p because that's kinda what it looks like.

Art design and music are good as always. Lotta meme jokes and stuff, which will annoy stuff but I like the humor.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Guacamelee 2 Thread - Wooo it's out
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 07:47:19 AM »
Can you choose your skin like in the first game?

Hoping for Steam Workshop support on this one, too- The original has skins for characters like Samus Aran and Bayonetta.  :)
ど助平

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:50:57 AM »
The first one also had Cormano from Sunset Riders as a skin. If that's in again I'll have to get it.

Bebpo

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 02:16:18 PM »
There’s definitely costumers.

Honestly, I wish I had local friends to play this with. I could see this being a lot of fun with 4p almost like a Guardian Heroes brawler for the combat challenges.

Bebpo

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 08:12:01 PM »
Ok, beat the first temple. This is pretty great. They give you a shitload of abilities by the end of the first dungeon so it's not like a slow ramp up. By the end of the dungeon there are some balls hard platforming sections already and this is just the first dungeon. I already have a death count a lot higher than I would've expected in this game. The first dungeon felt like the kind of challenge I'd expect from the 2nd to last dungeon based on the original game, so this could be a pretty challenging title to 100%

I also don't remember if the first game had instant kill bullets, but by the first dungeon you already have dodgeable projectiles, purple non-dodgeable ones that knock back, red ones that instant death, + the usual color-coded enemies, plane changing between land of dead/alive, and a few other neat things. So there's plenty there to make the platforming sections interesting challenges already and I expect it'll just get more and more complex and challenging.

The grappling hook, which is new I believe is a little dicey. It works ok but instead of being able to hold and position you can only trigger it off grapple points and it's based on distance/angle you trigger from for where you'll go. It works but it's a little trickery.

One reason I really liked the original Guacamelee and played through it twice and 100%'d it was that it combines the combat of close to a character action game (reminds me of DmC with the color-coding), the platforming of a legit challenge platformer like SMB-lite, bosses like Megaman/Castlevania and metroidvania progression with a great setting/art/music. It's just a combo of everything I like about videogames all in one game so I love it and am digging this as well.

archie4208

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 08:52:48 PM »
I beat it.  I liked it a lot more than the first game even though they're pretty similar. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Probably because there were less obnoxious memes
[close]

Bebpo

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 09:01:35 PM »
I beat it.  I liked it a lot more than the first game even though they're pretty similar. 
spoiler (click to show/hide)
Probably because there were less obnoxious memes
[close]

What'd you think about the difficultly level compared to the first? I thought the only real hardcore platforming challenge in the original was the optional treetops section, but even in the first temple I felt some of the parts and optional parts were getting up in challenge.

Also, how long is the game? I'm like 2 hours playtime I guess?

archie4208

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 09:07:16 PM »
I haven't played the original in years so I don't know how it compares, but it was really easy outside of some optional rooms.  I don't care enough to get 100% so I couldn't tell you how hard every room is.

Also it took me around 7 hours and 45 minutes to finish.  I think my total map completion was around 66%.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »
Hrm....I loved the first one but the optional stuff to get the real ending was a little too patience testing for me.
que