Author Topic: How do you have enough time to play games as an adult?  (Read 1699 times)

Himu

How do you have enough time to play games as an adult?
« on: September 19, 2018, 11:31:00 AM »
I’m putting in lots of time for art and don’t have time for games. But I want lots of games. How do you guys do it? Tiesto halp.
IYKYK

Tasty

Re: How do you have enough time to play games as an adult?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
I don't. :/

I pretty much just play the 1-3 releases in my favorite series a year (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, etc.), and sometimes not even then (MHGU for instance.)

Himu

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 11:38:46 AM »
I need help from tiesto and borys
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 11:57:10 AM »
No life
©@©™

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 11:59:03 AM »
Masturbate, use Grubhub, play vidya
fat

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 12:38:40 PM »
less time posting on forums, being serious  :doge

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 01:18:03 PM »
It's all about priorities. We all gotta work (at least) 40ish hours a week, sleep, eat, etc. After that it all boils down to what you prefer doing. If you get greater happiness out of pursuing art, don't cry any tears over games. They'll be there waiting for you when you want to devote time to them.
yar

headwalk

• brutal deluxe
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 02:45:23 PM »
work freelance generally from home and got good enough at my job that i don't have to do it even close to full time to earn a decent wedge. work like a bastard when i'm on a job but have as long off as on. currently having a month in vietnam with my gf.

when i hear about people having a couple of weeks off a year it sounds like a death sentence.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 02:56:29 PM »
I spend way too much time just clicking links on the internet and reading random memes and shit instead of playing video games.
But sometimes I just don't feel like 'thinking' after a days work.  :doge

I don't know how some people do it. There are dudes that hit the gym, are in a relationship, read books, watch movies, have full time jobs, kids and even find time for movies, TV series and video games.

It basically means you do something meaningful 20 hours a day(?)

How.  :-\
🤴

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
Don't you currently work some crazy schedule, himu?  That's probably not helping things.

I work from 6:45 AM to 3:15 PM (three of those days are at home, so I can go to bed fairly late, too), so I have a pretty good amount of time to play video games after work.  The problem is that grown-up things come in and I might not get to play anything for very long or at all.  Sometimes I'm just too tired and would rather nap or just veg the hell out...and that's fine.  I have more of a preference for arcade-style games so I can put in some matches in fighting games or play a couple of deathmatch battles and be fine with it.  It's the big, long adventure games that I just don't feel like I have as much time for.  I put a shitload of hours into Rise Of The Tomb Raider recently and finished it, but that's only because I was off for about a week or so.  Sometimes I feel like I'm just bored of gaming in general and don't play anything for a while, but then something comes along that totally gets me hooked and I can't stop playing it.  Mario Odyssey was like that for me last year.  So was Dragon Quest Builders (for a while, anyway- need to go back and finish that up).

That's also why my dumb ass needs to stop trying to play RPGs.  It's not going to happen.  :'(
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 03:19:12 PM »
what job do you work that's 6:45 to 3 pm? I want it. I want it. I WANT IT
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »
what job do you work that's 6:45 to 3 pm? I want it. I want it. I WANT IT

IT at a law firm.  Me and another guy start the earliest and then people come at various times the rest of the day.  The guys there the latest start at 12:45 and finish at 9.  Not for me but I know one of the dudes doing that shift absolutely loves it and always stays up super-late playing games all night.  He's married too and just had a kid.  Works out for him since everyone's sleeping when it's that late.
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 03:41:53 PM »
Right now is a good example.  I finished for the day almost 30 minutes ago, and the time since then has been spent taking the dog out, then sitting my ass down in front of another computer to check this thread.   :lol  Gonna go force my ass to workout and then see about playing some vidya until the wife is home for dinner.
:obama
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 04:31:04 PM »
Try playing vidyah games when you're married... with children...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
Only have time for it on weekend nights.  Use to play for my kids on Saturday morning, but now they do all the gaming themselves..  :doge .... :'(

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2018, 05:04:08 PM »
I don't. Especially with these timesink genres...my fave genre was always RPG, but am gravitating away from them as I just don't seem to finish them (I say as I am 60 hours into the Witcher 3 and bought DQXI). These days I get way more play out of arcade/racing games that can be played in short bursts or games that are more watchable (random value and depends on wife).

No idea how people with kids can do it. I keep hearing about how people need less sleep as they get older but that hasn't happened to me yet...maybe kids help with that.  :lol

I really struggle to find time to game during the week as schedule/workload fluctuates wildly...some days better than others, but generally if in a bit of a lull I just want to veg or listen to music or something. I can work from home some , but can't really peel away during hours to game without it getting annoying (I do try on PC every now and then). There really isn't time enough to do much during life the week, we get home, generally try and work out or some yard/house BS, cook dinner, maybe watch a little TV then go to bed. :boring

Weekends just get away from you, especially if into any sports or anything. Sports are a great way to waste a weekend, and is what the majority of people I know do.

I would love a four day work week SO MUCH. 

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 05:08:47 PM by Akala »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2018, 05:12:11 PM »
I would love a four day work week SO MUCH.

My previous job offered (or should I say, "offered" because I think it started becoming mandatory) this, but that meant working 10 hour workdays and starting and finishing at all kinds of fucked up times.  Did not want to work until 2 AM on Saturday-Tuesday even if it meant a three day "weekend" following it.  Fuck that.  Straight up told my boss it would have led to divorce because I would never get to see my wife, and she actually yelled at me for wanting to step down as a lead so I wouldn't have to do it.  Felt incredibly lucky that I got a call to come work at my current job shortly after that happened.
 :aah
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2018, 05:22:20 PM »
Yeah def talking of standard timings, like 7-6 would be great as I usually kind of pull that anyway, yay salary.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2018, 06:41:51 PM »
The serious adult answer is to get good at scheduling and to never idle for more than 15m. Keep busy. Include a day off where you have nothing at all scheduled.

As for me, what Joe said.

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2018, 07:43:29 PM »
Cause I truly have no life other than working

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2018, 07:51:10 AM »
Try playing vidyah games when you're married... with children...
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
Only have time for it on weekend nights.  Use to play for my kids on Saturday morning, but now they do all the gaming themselves..  :doge .... :'(

This is me now. I might get 1 hour on a weeknight if the kid goes to sleep. Weekends a bit more if I'm lucky. End up playing things like EU4 where I can walk away for 30 minutes if needed and nothing has changed
itm

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2018, 09:47:41 AM »
I’m on a 7 on/7 off gig, so basically zero during on weeks and however much I want during off pending other hobbies/traveling

But before I was on this schedule, I barely ever did
dur

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2018, 01:37:20 PM »
I don’t :(

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2018, 02:22:38 PM »
Short distance to "work" and pretty much everywhere else, living in a small apartment and i cook mostly stuff that you can put into the oven and leave it there on a timer. Though i have about 3-4 hours a day for it if i want to, i have no passion for it anymore and just read books at the moment.   

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2018, 02:53:56 PM »
Sometimes play on my Switch on the couch when my wife is watching stuff I dont want to see and our kid is sleeping

Sometimes when my wife falld asleep early

Sometimes I have a late shift and I play in the morning which can give me a few hours  :-* (if i clean up the house and do some chores)

Sure when kid number two drops this will decrease

Just want to stress Switch is a game changer in this married with chlidren life

Also my only other hobby is watching a game of football.

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2018, 04:18:39 PM »
My mentality switched from playing thru and beating games to playing games that don't have a real ending.

Loot based games are great for that, multiplayer games, N++ and Super Meatboy styled platformers. Getting a dope auto rifle in Destiny 2 and building on my character is more rewarding then beating a linear, story based game.
OH!

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2018, 07:43:30 PM »
Sometimes play on my Switch on the couch when my wife is watching stuff I dont want to see and our kid is sleeping

Sometimes when my wife falld asleep early

Sometimes I have a late shift and I play in the morning which can give me a few hours  :-* (if i clean up the house and do some chores)

Sure when kid number two drops this will decrease

Just want to stress Switch is a game changer in this married with chlidren life

Also my only other hobby is watching a game of football.

First post on the whole internet (gaf, bore, resetera) since the Switch has been announced (24 months ago) that makes me kind of want to buy it (Switch).

Welcome to all handheld gaming systems.  :doge
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2018, 07:50:31 PM »
 :lol

I am using the opposite tack, my wife isn't a huge fan of some of the stuff I play so trying to get her into more switch gaming so I can catass. I literally cannot wait for Animal Crossing and hope it's great as I'd be home free.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
Animal crossing will be a huge win for my household as well. One of the only games my wifey plays as well. We did do The Wolf Among Us tell tale game together tho :lol

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2018, 10:35:52 PM »
I don't.  I just buy games and hope that I can get around to them later.
🍆🍆

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2018, 01:03:56 AM »
Stick to what I know I'd like, play Sunday afternoons, take advantage of the shitty NY weather come wintertime, and don't really follow movies or TV much - gaming and music are my primary hobbies.

Plus I'm lucky enough to have a few fellow retro gamers as friends, and my girlfriend doesn't mind watching me from time to time.
^_^

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2018, 02:01:34 PM »
I don't buy a ton of games and I'm ok with things taking a long ass time to complete. So far this year I've beat Super Robot Wars X and Yakuza 6, currently playing Dragon Quest XI with my daughter and I spend maybe 10 minutes a day with Gundam Battle Operation 2. I'd honestly much rather use my free time to hang out with my wife and daughter.
野球

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2018, 02:03:30 PM »
Pretty sure I’ll never finish Witcher 3 and it’s so good 😰

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2018, 04:20:07 AM »
You don't. :shh

pilonv1

• I love you just the way I am
itm

MangoMadness

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2018, 06:27:34 PM »
I don't finish games anymore.  It's never worth it.

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2018, 07:52:57 PM »
I play Switch during my commute usually. That’s about 3 hours a day total. When I get home I usually play something while eating and watching shit on my laptop for about 5 hours.
serge

kingv

« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2018, 10:39:45 AM »
I’ve been playing destiny 2, and my limited gaming time always hurts me when I play this. Like I could be playing something else instead of continuously grinding the same “content”.

Fifstar

« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »
I played more this year than in the last 5 years or so. Mainly thanks to the Switch. Being able to play anywhere (at home) and the quick Sleep/Wakeup function are a godsend.

I play mostly when my wife and kid are sleeping and since they go to bed early that works out mostly okay.

I can't play anywhere as much as I'd liked but that goes for a lot of other things as well. Honestly as far as hobbies go, video games are actually well compatible with being a grown up compared to other free time activities. Only downside is that many SO's aren't particularly enarmored with it (compared for example with sports). What i do miss are gaming binge sessions. Sometimes it was just fun to waste a saturday afternoon away playing some game for 10 hours straight - that's just not possible for myself anymore.

Some thoughts that helped me having fun gaming fun with the little time that I have:

Don't think that you can play anything like when you were a teenager. Limit yourself to games you really want to play. You don't gain anything by being knowledgeable about every game released under the sun.
Drop games you don't enjoy quickly, they rarely get better.
If you liked a game for the first 20 (30,40,50...) hours but grow bored of it, drop it. Don't force yourself to finish something just because the story hasn't ended or you feel you need to end a game.
Don't pick up games just because they're cheap. Time is more rare than money for most adults. It's better to enjoy one 60$ game than not knowing which of your backlogged games.
Stay with games you enjoy.
Gulp

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 02:01:41 PM »
I wait for everyone to pass out for guaranteed free time to play, unless there is something specific I want to do at a certain time. Then I just sit down and play since I'm not a kid and don't have to ask permission from anyone.
©ZH

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
Also, play the games instead of reading about them and all the lame industry drama (sorry, too busy playing games to know or care what a gamer gate is).
^_^

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 05:33:40 PM »
Wait I actually do have lots of time for phone games during certain periods of the month at work :doge

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2018, 02:12:14 AM »
I played more this year than in the last 5 years or so. Mainly thanks to the Switch. Being able to play anywhere (at home) and the quick Sleep/Wakeup function are a godsend.

I play mostly when my wife and kid are sleeping and since they go to bed early that works out mostly okay.

I can't play anywhere as much as I'd liked but that goes for a lot of other things as well. Honestly as far as hobbies go, video games are actually well compatible with being a grown up compared to other free time activities. Only downside is that many SO's aren't particularly enarmored with it (compared for example with sports). What i do miss are gaming binge sessions. Sometimes it was just fun to waste a saturday afternoon away playing some game for 10 hours straight - that's just not possible for myself anymore.

Some thoughts that helped me having fun gaming fun with the little time that I have:

Don't think that you can play anything like when you were a teenager. Limit yourself to games you really want to play. You don't gain anything by being knowledgeable about every game released under the sun.
Drop games you don't enjoy quickly, they rarely get better.
If you liked a game for the first 20 (30,40,50...) hours but grow bored of it, drop it. Don't force yourself to finish something just because the story hasn't ended or you feel you need to end a game.
Don't pick up games just because they're cheap. Time is more rare than money for most adults. It's better to enjoy one 60$ game than not knowing which of your backlogged games.
Stay with games you enjoy.

This is so much me