Author Topic: Going to Seattle  (Read 2458 times)

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
Going to Seattle
« on: September 24, 2018, 09:06:29 AM »
Have a conference at the end of next month. Going for about 5 days. Any sweet not obvious spots I should check out.

Wheres the best rape dumpster
dur

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: Going to Seattle
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 11:46:00 AM »
It’s turned to a shithole the past decade. Go to Portland and burn it down instead.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 11:51:40 AM »
There's fucking TVC, but otherwise I'm drawing a blank.

I live in the Bay Area now, which is also a shithole that needs to be burned down.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 12:39:33 PM »
Seattle is so shitty and depressing in October that you’re likely to immediately open a vein after leaving the airport.

But if you do survive, head to the east side and go to Lake Sammamish State Park to see where Bundy got two of his bitches. I used to live less than a mile from there.

I also trolled the access roads to get to some of (I think) the Green River Killer’s dump sites, although it’s hard to say because they’ve obfuscated the info so the sites don’t attract too many groupies.
serge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 12:41:03 PM »
Try and see how far you can get the space needle up your asshole.

nudemacusers

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »

I live in the Bay Area now, which is also a shithole that needs to be burned down.
Sounds like you bring a shithole with you
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

TVC15

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 12:46:12 PM »

Sounds like you bring a shithole with you

I just want a unabomber shack with a fast internet connection. No people. Especially no homeless people.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 12:53:37 PM »
Cap Hill was so depressing the last time I went there. Everything interesting is gone. Amazon really did a number there.
serge

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 01:00:18 PM »
TVC hates the consumerist blight taking over big coastal cities and so that's exactly the problem

Places are interesting because they contain a wide variety of people and a unique and vibrant culture, not because you can blow your fat dev paycheck at pricey cocktail bars.

Also, gay people are not a novelty that exist solely for your amusement.
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 01:01:53 PM »
Incredible array of great food in cap hill;  great cocktail bars too, really good craft beer spots. 

Your complaints are so cliche.  I mean I miss driving down Broadway to gawk at the Vatos and the Gays mingling  but it's a great place if you are a consumer.

:six:

I can see why you wouldn’t fit in on Reeeee.

It’s a shithole. Cap Hill lost its character. They needed to be more NIMBY in that neighborhood. Now it’s just another part of the city.

Say what you will about the shitholeness of the Bay Area, at least their NIMBYism is strong enough that most of the individual neighborhoods have kept their identities. Seattle’s NIMBYism is so weak that the city died.
serge

kingv

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 01:04:52 PM »
I hate recommending things but since you'll probably be downtown the food vendors at Pike Place are actually pretty damng good; not inside but in the alley outside.  Shouldn't be too busy since it'll be a rainy shithole at that point but get yourself something down there.

If you want a more specific recomendation walk just past all the vendors to Rub With Love Shack and get the BBQ chicken sandwich. 

Sushi is good downtown too; I like Umi or Japonessa as they do the more funky rolls but Shiro's is also a world renowned more classical style place (one of Jiro's underlings.)

If you are into craft beer I can make some more specific recomendations.

Like any city the off-downtown neighorhoods are going to be the best overall places which isn't convenient for a tourist;  Capitol Hill being the closest to downtown... but again.. late October... rain... it's not a walkable city that time of year and kind of sucks for night life because of it.

Umi is still around? I used to go there a lot like 11 years ago when it opened.

TVC15

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
The city is more diverse than ever.. has a wider range of food options from different cultures.. has more art / museums / etc. than ever.. Cap Hill still one of the top 3 hoods for concentration of LGBT people as well. 

I'm really not sure what "culture" anyone thinks modern Seattle has displaced;  grungy white people?

It’s a shithole. Cap Hill lost its character. They needed to be more NIMBY in that neighborhood. Now it’s just another part of the city.

Nah man; it's still gay as all hell.   It's also larger than it used to be they expanded the density of  businesses East of Broadway as well as West of Broadway.  Yes Broadway now has a couple of businesses that wouldn't have existed 20 years ago but there's now more of the old "identity" businesses than ever.

Now it just sounds like you’re overcompensating to try to get on the good side of any Reeee guests here. Smh.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 01:18:53 PM »
Nah I am quite unpopular in any thread mentioning Seattle on Re;  you would fit right in actually.

Amazon tech bros bro! Ruining my city!

Anyway, in short: Seattle is a soulless place that God has forgotten. It is where hope and youth go to die. I was a vibrant, happy person with goals and dreams before I went to Seattle. In just a few days of exposure, I became what I am now. And there is no cure. No getting better.

Only go there if you have a soul to spare, Huff. You’ll end up like riotous or me if you don’t.

Pray it’s taken out second when the fires fall from the sky.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 01:25:32 PM »
I don’t see race. I care about the Showbox getting shut down.
serge

Tasty

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2018, 01:29:20 PM »

Some of us can still be... for the right price.

Tasty

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 01:34:38 PM »

Tell that to the crowd of greased up men wearing nothing but a jock strap  I saw cheering on a guy being railed on the corner of Olive and Boylston last time I was in cap hill.

Wear gloves if you ever use this hand rail by these steps:

(Image removed from quote.)

Pics (preferably vids) or it didn't happen.

TVC15

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »
I do hope they "save" the Showbox;  but it's not exactly the most iconic space inside.  The Paramount or The Moore theater would be much bigger losses.  The Showbox is a room with a few older pillars that give it a touch of a iconic status. 

The Showbox means more to me. The Paramount and the Moore are great, but more acts that I cared about hit the Showbox.

Anyway, diversity and venues are largely irrelevant in this discussion. Seattle still ruined me back when I considered Cap Hill more acceptable. You shouldn’t be touting an increase in diversity; you should be saddened that more racial groups are affected by the cancer of the city.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »
I do hope they "save" the Showbox;  but it's not exactly the most iconic space inside.  The Paramount or The Moore theater would be much bigger losses.  The Showbox is a room with a few older pillars that give it a touch of a iconic status.

Oh but let me add to this:

It's the same people crying about The Showbox who also cry about NIMBYs when The Showbox is one giant waste of a space that we could put some housing into.  And yes it would probably be luxury housing, but for every million dollar condo they build that's someone moving out of one of the surrounding hoods driving down demand in those areas.

I’m not even convinced the Showbox is a good spot for housing. It’s right by all the touristy Pike Place stuff so it’s likely high crime and a traffic toilet. This is a case where the NIMBY folks are right.
serge

agrajag

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 01:42:02 PM »
Quote from: TVC 15
I was a vibrant, happy person with goals and dreams before I went to Seattle. In just a few days of exposure, I became what I am now.

God damn.

TVC15

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 01:43:37 PM »
I was a vibrant, happy person with goals and dreams before I went to Seattle. In just a few days of exposure, I became what I am now.

God damn.

It’s the truth. A week at most.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 01:49:49 PM »
I’m not even convinced the Showbox is a good spot for housing. It’s right by all the touristy Pike Place stuff so it’s likely high crime and a traffic toilet. This is a case where the NIMBY folks are right.

We lack housing in the downtown core where the majority of jobs are;  housing within walking distance of Pike Place seems like a no brainer to me because Pike Place is walking distance from the majority of the hi-rises downtown where 200k people work.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t think tearing down a cultural center to build more housing for awful people is a good idea. There’s nothing gained, and iirc it’s going to be like 50 floors and likely fuck up the skyline.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
That’s good. I hadn’t really followed the story since the initial volley of news.

It’s still an evil place that will take everything worthwhile about you and turn you into a twisted mockery of it.
serge

agrajag

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 02:05:56 PM »

God damn.

It’s the truth. A week at most.

If that's not the most scathing indictment of a city, I don't know what is.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
the greased up jockstrap men running a train on a hobo is a close second
[close]

agrajag

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 02:11:02 PM »
I'm good thanks  :lol

TVC15

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2018, 02:11:13 PM »
Alright, Seattle is a shithole, but CC’s is pretty great. Van Cruncheon and I’s favorite spot was always Club Z, though. We loved getting chased through the Labyrinth and getting ravaged by the “Minotaur” when he caught us.
serge

nudemacusers

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2018, 06:34:47 PM »
if you're dead set on going to seattle be sure to buy some columbia goretex tearoff hiking pants for your next arduous trek across pioneer square. don't want to look like a tourist.
﷽﷽﷽﷽﷽

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2018, 06:44:04 PM »
get nasty but great hamburgers at dicks

Huff

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 12:01:17 AM »
well it's not like I picked what city the conference is being held

so yolo. prob no real time to explore the surround areas and doubt ill be renting a car
dur

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2018, 03:45:06 PM »
I'm not sure if you are into football, but it's really easy to sack Russell Wilson these days. I'd recommend doing that at least once.
©ZH

Huff

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2018, 10:00:55 AM »
For the locals, any top breweries I should hit up
dur

Huff

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2018, 09:06:25 PM »
Ha I really wanted Mr Gundams recs to begin with so that’s perfect
dur

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 04:05:39 PM »
Ha I really wanted Mr Gundams recs to begin with so that’s perfect

Hah! Let me know if you want anything else.
野球

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2018, 01:12:42 AM »
You here yet?
野球

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2018, 08:00:23 PM »
Visit Senor Moose for breakfast.

The name is ridiculous but the food is not.

Huff

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2018, 08:14:46 PM »
You here yet?

Ha yeah it was last sat - weds. Was in meetings/conferences for most of it, but spent a good amount of time walking around, was able to hit at least a decent amount of your brewery list.

Girlfriend was jealous since she couldn't go so I imagine well do another visit in the next year or two
dur

Bore Expert

« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2018, 11:55:47 PM »

The OK Hotel was my favorite place to see bands in Seattle. Any of you remember it or heard of it?

Bore Expert

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2018, 12:22:14 AM »
Of course; was one of a few venues closed after the earthquake.

I used to go there years before that earthquake. What about the Rockcandy? It might’ve been spelled differently, I can’t recall. It was fun too.

Bore Expert

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2018, 12:38:19 AM »
How bout the Lusty Lady?

:teehee

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2018, 12:15:46 PM »
A friend of mine from high school had a sister who danced at the Lusty Lady.

The OK Hotel was my favorite place to see bands in Seattle. Any of you remember it or heard of it?

I saw a couple shows there back in high school. Surprised no one mentioned DV8, I saw a bunch of shows there as well. The old Northgate movie theater got converted into a concert venue for a brief period before being torn down as well. I saw someone there, but can't remember who it was.

I also remember having to drive down to Portland a lot in high school to see bands since a lot of shows in Seattle in the late 90s were 21+. Stupid Teen Dance Ordinance.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 12:21:12 PM by Mr. Gundam »
野球