Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles 4 |OT|  (Read 2479 times)

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
Valkyria Chronicles 4 |OT|
« on: September 25, 2018, 12:44:16 PM »

I've only played VC1's demo before jumping into this. Ive put a few hours in, Im on Chapter 2.

Love the characters, soundtrack, and the balance of humor/seriousness thus far. Gameplay resembles VC1 almost entirely, and that's very good. Game is wonderful as fuck.

OH!

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Re: Valkyria Chronicles 4 |OT|
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 07:38:58 PM »
I've only played VC1's demo before jumping into this.

:drakeWTF

At least go back and Scout Rush through it.

mormapope

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 03:09:30 AM »
What's legit about VC4 is how varied operations are right away. It feels like you're solving a different strategic puzzle each operation. The glossary having entries for all your units and their background story is a great feature.

OH!

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 11:41:19 AM »
DLing this now. I’m hoping it delivers on the upskirt shots and nip slips. That’s at least what I’m expecting based on the Reee thread. Maybe a couple of dumb girls sitting on fresh cakes.
serge

mormapope

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 12:46:45 PM »

Thought this was a neat surprise. Considering how fucking outraged PooparooniEra is, you'd think all Federation soldiers were waging a war to destroy liberal thoughts worldwide.

Also:

Neige redeemed herself and Im excited to see what she can do on the field.

:salute
OH!

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »
Interested in this but won’t have time to play for a while. Glad to hear it’s a return to form.

Really liked what I played of VC1 but about halfway through the campaign my PS3 died and I lost the save. Never went back. Probably makes more sense to try that again before this but IDK.  :doge

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 01:27:21 PM »
So this is that series where you rub lollies and scrub bubbles off them with your fingers and shit, right?
serge

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 01:40:17 PM »
So this is that series where you rub lollies and scrub bubbles off them with your fingers and shit, right?

I have some bad news for you...
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 01:41:54 PM »
 :lol

thisismyusername

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 10:46:39 PM »

LMAO. No, this isn't a pedo game (bar 2-3).

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 09:29:40 AM »
For an anime game all the characters are super old [over 20].
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 10:45:48 PM »
Sometimes the enemy AI is brain-dead stupid. Like a scout will charge directly at three of my guys who are crouched behind sandbags and just get shredded. It's like, bro, what are you even doing?
dog

Rahxephon91

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 02:50:00 AM »
God this game is great. 

Yes the enemy ai can be pretty dumb sometimes, but still the game can  throw some pretty cool situations to fight through. Since the mechanics/way jobs and stuff work are so simple it really just puts a spotlight on you thinking through stuff. And man thats why I loved the first one so much. It was so easy and fun to get into.

Some things I like:

Squad stories really add to the content and make the side characters feel more involved. Plus usually have pretty unique use of units.

Game seems full of content.

Tank and APC stuff seems better in this game thanks to the fact that they use 1 CP.

Grenadier's are scary.

I really like this game. The one thing I'd say is maybe the story is'nt as good as the first one. Claude is'nt as likable as Welk and the story kind of starts off rocky. Compared to the simple escalation of plot of the first one. Still none of the characters are bad, most are fun, and the writing is solid for an anime game.

GOTY.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »
I've never been into strategy games but I tried the demo for this game and liked it so much that I ended up buying it, so that makes two since I also like Mario X Rabbids.  Should I try out the recent-ish X-Com games?
ど助平

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 09:55:25 AM »
Yes.

thisismyusername

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 10:27:49 AM »
I've never been into strategy games but I tried the demo for this game and liked it so much that I ended up buying it, so that makes two since I also like Mario X Rabbids.  Should I try out the recent-ish X-Com games?

Yes. And give the first VC a try.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 10:44:34 AM »
I've got the first VC and also went and picked up Valkyria Revolution dirt cheap after finding out that it was kind of a musou-style game.  Expecting it to still suck though, lol. 

If I want to try XCom, should I get the first game or just go right to XCom 2?
ど助平

thisismyusername

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 11:48:07 AM »
picked up Valkyria Revolution

:noooo

X-com: The first one is worthwhile. I haven't gotten around to the second yet, but the first will give you around like 20-80 hours of gameplay.

Rahxephon91

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2018, 07:35:17 AM »
I’m about halfway through game now. About 30 hours.

I think the only real negative I have is that the story is a bit lamer and stupider then the first game.

Other then that the game really is pretty good. For some reason I was reading the reset era thread about this game’s “toxic” shit.

I hate to be that Japanese media fan, but Christ is a part of the gaming population becoming annoying crybabies. This game is so harmless.

Yes it has some tacky cute girl stuff. Whatever, get over it.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2018, 12:34:12 AM »
Can't decide if I should get the PS4 version or the Switch one. Normally PS4 wins outright. But portable switch....
que

Rahxephon91

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2018, 03:19:41 AM »
I guess maybe the Switch version dosen't look as sharp....

I don't get any non-exclusive or game I'm playing for the first time on the Switch, but I could see the positives of having this on the handheld.

Often I'll have a podcast or something playing during actual gameplay segments since some missions can go on for awhile and it's not like that much story is going on during them.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »
Can't decide if I should get the PS4 version or the Switch one. Normally PS4 wins outright. But portable switch....

There's really not as much difference as you might expect.  I got it on Switch after looking at comparisons and trying the demo.  It looks/runs great on there.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 10:56:15 AM by bork »
ど助平

The Sceneman

• Did my wife send you?
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2018, 05:31:21 PM »
Kick ass series this one. Looking forward to playing this! Played the hell out of VC2 on PSP