Author Topic: Mobile data plans, best one?  (Read 700 times)

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
Mobile data plans, best one?
« on: September 26, 2018, 04:37:33 PM »
So, I'm in the market for getting a cell data plan. Problem is: I'm not sure which is the "best" for what I want. I'd like to have a "cheap" (like within $50 or less, but can go 60 or 70) unlimited data plan. I don't really need unlimited phone-time, but texting and data would be needed. Pre-paid or non/pay-as-you-go would be fine, either way.

I know of Project Fi and it's coverage seems good. Problem is: Apparently they only work with certain phones, so the "unlocked" model I have doesn't seem to work for them. :/ I could get an unlocked phone I guess of those models, but seems like it'd be redundant when I'm not really jazzed for getting a new one right now.

Tasty

Re: Mobile data plans, best one?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 04:41:55 PM »
Straight Talk
  • Choose to use either AT&T or Verizon's networks
  • Unlimited talk, text, and data
  • First 10 GB of data at 4G speeds
  • $45 per month

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »
I do a Straight Talk (Walmart) plan and it's good. Coverage is fine and you get unlimited data for 55 dollars.

Although that's unlimited with an asterisk. They will throttle you at 32 gb (a month) and the hard cap you at 60 gb.

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »
Damn, America. I pay the equal of 35 USD and only get 3 GB of data per month. :doge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 04:51:47 PM »
I use Boost Mobile and I've been pretty happy with their service, and they've got an unlimited data plan for $50 [I just use a plan that's like 5GB for $30 a month].
dog

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 04:52:03 PM »
Damn, America. I pay the equal of 35 USD and only get 3 GB of data per month. :doge

Well, Google Fi would do similar (before Taxes), they give you a "hard-cap" at like $60/6gigs a month and then over that is just $60 until you hit like 18gigs then you get throttled unless you pay overage fees of $10/gig. Which isn't that bad... but requires certain phones. :/

Rumbler: I was thinking of Boost, since I know someone on it. Not too sure about the coverage, but I'll check into it.

I haven't heard of Straight Talk, well... I have, but I haven't heard too many people on it. If Andy and Adam both are on it I guess it can't be super bad. I'll look at their prices and check their coverage as well.

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2018, 04:55:21 PM »
I'm embarrassed to say what I pay for my family plan.  :-[

It's close to my car payment. :snoop
©ZH

Valkyrie

• Good Christian
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 05:06:35 PM »

Well, Google Fi would do similar (before Taxes), they give you a "hard-cap" at like $60/6gigs a month and then over that is just $60 until you hit like 18gigs then you get throttled unless you pay overage fees of $10/gig. Which isn't that bad... but requires certain phones. :/
Since when are you in Finland?

Tasty

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 05:13:38 PM »
I mean Straight Talk themselves are kinda garbo, but you almost never have to deal with them and it's AT&T's network anyways.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 06:47:52 PM »
I use Virgin Mobile but it's iPhone only now (I think?). $50 a month for unlimited everything, data can get throttled after 20gb but I've gone over before and didn't get any reduced speed. Runs on Sprint network.