Author Topic: Boorette's October 2018 Scary Movie Watching Thread  (Read 21701 times)

TVC15

• Laugh when you can, it’s cheap medicine -LB
Re: Booette's October 2018 Scary Movie Watching Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2018, 11:11:02 AM »
5. Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988): Man, the turn from weirdo S&M gothic bondage horror into full blown Roger Corman schlock is so sudden and hilarious. The second half of this movie is such garbage it's almost hard to hate on it. I knew this was going to be trash when it opened with an X-Men TAS style "previously on..." recap of the first movie, something they do again around the middle of the movie clearly to pad it out after I assume a lot of MPAA cuts. Either that or it just had a terrible editor. That seems pretty reasonable to me considering how much other terrible shit the movie had (optical effects, acting, story, logic). Who wanted to see Pinhead as a nerdy looking balding pasty Englishman? Who wanted to see that nerdy looking baldy pasty Englishman in the Pinhead costume but without the make up? Why/how the fuck was Kirsty wearing Julia's skin at the end? So like....the devil is a big pointy puzzle box and Hell is MC Escher pencil drawings?  :lol :lol  :lol

The next movie goes straight into cheesy slasher flick with blatant ANOES rip offs, the movie after that tackles both the French Revolution AND space, then the series falls into DTV hell where none of the movies are even written as Hellraiser movies and the Cenobites just get tacked on in the last few minutes. What a trash series.

The basic story of H2 is that they were originally working off like 2 pages of notes and ideas from Clive, ran out of money, and winged it and didn’t follow the script much because they had to finish on the cheap.

I still find the movie intriguing and recommend it to people that liked the first one. I think there’s enough good in it, and its attempts to expand the mythology of the first movie are interesting, if fumbled.
serge

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
Re: Boorette's October 2018 Scary Movie Watching Thread
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
5. Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988): Man, the turn from weirdo S&M gothic bondage horror into full blown Roger Corman schlock is so sudden and hilarious. The second half of this movie is such garbage it's almost hard to hate on it. I knew this was going to be trash when it opened with an X-Men TAS style "previously on..." recap of the first movie, something they do again around the middle of the movie clearly to pad it out after I assume a lot of MPAA cuts. Either that or it just had a terrible editor. That seems pretty reasonable to me considering how much other terrible shit the movie had (optical effects, acting, story, logic). Who wanted to see Pinhead as a nerdy looking balding pasty Englishman? Who wanted to see that nerdy looking baldy pasty Englishman in the Pinhead costume but without the make up? Why/how the fuck was Kirsty wearing Julia's skin at the end? So like....the devil is a big pointy puzzle box and Hell is MC Escher pencil drawings?  :lol :lol  :lol

The next movie goes straight into cheesy slasher flick with blatant ANOES rip offs, the movie after that tackles both the French Revolution AND space, then the series falls into DTV hell where none of the movies are even written as Hellraiser movies and the Cenobites just get tacked on in the last few minutes. What a trash series.

The basic story of H2 is that they were originally working off like 2 pages of notes and ideas from Clive, ran out of money, and winged it and didn’t follow the script much because they had to finish on the cheap.

I still find the movie intriguing and recommend it to people that liked the first one. I think there’s enough good in it, and its attempts to expand the mythology of the first movie are interesting, if fumbled.

Hellraiser II is better than The Scarlet Gospels.
©@©™

Bebpo

« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2018, 03:00:21 PM »
Watched Hellfest. It was trash and I'd seen Bloodfest and somehow Hellfest was more trash than that. Bloodfest is completely cringe movie the entire time but at least it's trying to do something original and failing mostly. Hellfest is a really boring and shitty Halloween clone in a theme park zzz.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »

Castle Freak (1995, dir. Stuart Gordon)

This is the 3rd of Stuart Gordon's four H.P. Lovecraft adaptations, and it's also the one with the least connection to Lovecraft. And it's least good. Very loosely based on "The Outsider", it's more "Castle Family Drama and Guiltripping" than "Castle Freak". I guess this was Stuart Gordon attempting to make a serious movie, but it has none of the charm and creativity of his better known films. Most of the first half of the movie is about John inheriting a castle from his family back in the old country and going on a vacation to look it over with his family, before preparing to sell it. John is a recovering alcoholic who's drinking cost him his job at The University and caused him to have a wreck that killed his son and blinded his daughter. His wife Susan doesn't let him forget it, and even though they're still together, they no longer share a bed.

As they explore the castle, the Castle Freak escapes from it's basement dungeon and starts roaming the halls. Only their daughter Rebecca notices it, but she's blind and they think she's just hearing things. After a fight with Susan, John falls off the wagon and gets drunk in a local bar and then brings home a prostitute and  has sex with her in the wine cellar while the Castle Freak watches. John immediately regrets what he's done and sends the hooker away, but before she can leave the castle, she gets sexually assaulted and murdered by the Castle Freak. The police come knocking the next morning, forcing John to admit to his wife that he was with a hooker although he didn't kill her. Susan is a furious and starts to pack up to take her daughter back to America and leave John to the police, but the police ask her to stay at the castle until they've finished their investigation.

While being interrogated by the police, John puts the clues together and realizes that the Castle Freak is actually the duchesses' son (and his own half-brother) who she claimed had died, but she actually imprisoned in the dungeon as revenge on her husband for leaving her for another woman in America. So, to clarify, the monster in this movie is just a 45 year-old man who has been chained to a wall and beaten and mutilated and fed gruel and denied medical treatment for 40 years. So of course, he has the bestial superpowers needed to physically overwhelm and murder several adult men and woman, some of them armed. John escapes police custody and arrives just in time to save his family and kill the Castle Freak and himself by throwing them both off the castle parapet. The fucking end.

This movie was distasteful, joyless, and unscary. It was obviously shot on a very limited budget, as evidenced by the majority of the film consisting of people moping around the castle that Charles Band owned (you save a lot of money on location scouting that way). Not even the presence of Jeffery Combs and Barbara Crampton can save this movie. I give it 1 bit-off hooker boob out of 5.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2018, 11:38:11 AM »
Hellraiser sucks!

TVC15

« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2018, 12:39:36 PM »
Hellraiser sucks!

Sorry bae, you suck.

You were asking for another Clive story recommendation. The Hellbound Heart is a novella written in the same timeframe as the Books of Blood. Maybe you should give it a shot and see if you like it in prose better than in film. The film is a relatively direct adaptation.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2018, 01:13:53 PM »
I was going to watch a movie called Halloween Night last night, because the description was a dead ringer for a straight up Halloween bootleg. Turns out it's an Asylum production and it's a bootleg of Rob Zombie's Halloween. :yuck I made it about 5 minutes in and gave up. I'll watch H20 tonight though. I have a very soft spot for it's extreme datedness to 1998.

Watch Terrifier on Netflix. It’s fun.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2018, 02:30:00 PM »
TVC, let's watch Hellraiser: Bloodlines.
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2018, 02:31:06 PM »
In a bit, I need to take a nap. I just ate a pizza and am food coma-y.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2018, 02:56:01 PM »
I haven't seen Hellraiser: Bloodline since it came out when I was in high school, so it's crystallized in my mind as a good movie. :lawd

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I tried to watch the re-assembled fan edit of it once a few years ago, but the unfilmed scenes being replaced with CGI that looked like gameplay footage from The Sims was too silly, even for a Hellraiser sequel.
[close]
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2018, 01:28:27 AM »
It’s a good movie, but 5 stars, man? It’s a 3 at most. Your Halloween hard-on is even stranger than your Alien series boner. Easily the best of the sequels though.

Anyway, I might be up for Hellraiser Bloodline tomorrow. I didn’t wake up from my nap until 9 and then it was Always Sunny and AHS time. Sorry about that. It was not intended.

Didn’t know Adam Scott was in it. I guess I may have last watched this before I knew who he was, mebbe.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2018, 10:45:04 AM »

Dead of Winter (1987, dir. Arthur Penn)

I didn't really want to watch anything violent or intense when I got home from work yesterday, so I decided to unwind my brain with this quaint little chiller. It's about an aspiring actress who's desperate for work and answers a sketchy casting call where she's told she'll need to fill in for the lead actress of a movie that went missing. It's not a twist when you find out this is a ruse, we see the woman that she's supposedly filling in for killed in the opening scene. It's obvious that there's no movie role, but what they want with her and what they're going to do with her is the main mystery. There's nothing too mind bending going on here, it's all pretty straight forward. The real joy of this movie is seeing Roddy McDowall just Roddy McDowalling the hell out of every scene as the antagonist's slightly effete and majorly unhinged henchman. 3 Chekhov's Beartraps out of 5.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:50:03 AM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2018, 12:53:19 PM »
Watched "Chupacabra Territory" It was like they aped on Blair Witch but only aped the bad parts. All the stuff that made Blair Witch good are missing but all the bad is turned up to 11. It's not even enjoyable as a "so bad it's good" way.
que

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2018, 01:23:06 PM »
dog

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2018, 03:04:21 PM »
When I was browsing Amazon Prime last night, I found a movie that I had been trying to think of for a long time. I hadn't seen it in eons and I could only remember that there was a killer clown, but when I looked up killer clown movies, it never came up. Anyway, it was called Out of the Dark, and I had forgotten the one key plot element that would have let me find it easier, and that was that the killer was killing phone sex operators. It had Divine in a small role (as a man) in her final screen appearance, and it features the line "Look at that guy, he probably gets more ass than a toilet seat!"

I probably saw it edited for TV on USA Up All Night or some equivalent outfit because we didn't have premium cable. Now it's available on Amazon Prime in all it's sleazy glory. What a time to be alive.
©@©™

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2018, 03:31:53 PM »
Halloween 1 and 2 last night.  Forgot part 2 is actually good.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2018, 07:09:36 PM »
The Woman in Black-a fun little haunted house movie

Happy Death Day-not really a horror movie like I was expecting. A mix of Groundhog Day/Mean Girls that isn't as good as either of those
WDW

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2018, 07:47:12 PM »
Never did see the sequel, but the original was pretty solid. Nothing really fancy or new, just a well-made, good-looking, period haunted house movie.
dog

TVC15

« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2018, 09:20:49 PM »
When I was browsing Amazon Prime last night, I found a movie that I had been trying to think of for a long time. I hadn't seen it in eons and I could only remember that there was a killer clown, but when I looked up killer clown movies, it never came up. Anyway, it was called Out of the Dark, and I had forgotten the one key plot element that would have let me find it easier, and that was that the killer was killing phone sex operators. It had Divine in a small role (as a man) in her final screen appearance, and it features the line "Look at that guy, he probably gets more ass than a toilet seat!"

I probably saw it edited for TV on USA Up All Night or some equivalent outfit because we didn't have premium cable. Now it's available on Amazon Prime in all it's sleazy glory. What a time to be alive.

I’m sorry, I won’t be watching Hellraiser Bloodline tonight.

I watched April Fool’s Day last night while nodding off. An old favorite. It’s all nonsense that falls apart at the teensiest bit of scrutiny, but it’s a lot of fun and delightfully 80s. I know it’s a cult flick, but if you somehow haven’t seen it, check it out.

The Woman in Black-a fun little haunted house movie

Happy Death Day-not really a horror movie like I was expecting. A mix of Groundhog Day/Mean Girls that isn't as good as either of those

I had the privilege of seeing The Woman In Black 2: Black in the Habit for free at a movie theater and it was without question the single dullest movie I've ever seen in theaters.

The original is pretty fuckin’ dull, too. I guess it’s a well-made and well-measured haunted house flick but zzzzzzzzz
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2018, 09:39:09 PM »
I watched April Fool’s Day last night while nodding off. An old favorite. It’s all nonsense that falls apart at the teensiest bit of scrutiny, but it’s a lot of fun and delightfully 80s. I know it’s a cult flick, but if you somehow haven’t seen it, check it out.

I loved the VHS box art for that, the girl with her hair braided into a noose.

©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2018, 11:00:14 AM »

The Endless (2017, dir.  Justin Benson and Aaron Moorhead)

I know some people here weren't too high on this movie, but personally I loved it. I read a lot of modern Lovecraft/Cthulhu-branded anthologies and this story would fit right in with any of them, so it's basically right up my alley. Give me ineffable cosmic horror and I'm happier than a pig in shit.

spoiler (click to show/hide)
Only real issue I had was that the filmmakers seemed to want to have it both ways when it came to whether people's memories reset after each loop. The video and pictures drops can only explain so much. On one hand, the two guys in the house seemed to not know what happened in previous loops, but the motorcycle guy in a three hour loop seemed like he knew more than anyone. Even the poor bastard in the five second loop seemed like he knew what was going on, even if he couldn't do anything about it. The campers all seem to have some continuity to their existence that the shed full of tapes wouldn't fully explain.

What objects reset during each cycle is never really explained either; is it only the people or it the entire structure of the bubble? At the end of the movie, it seems like the entire bubble collapses, but in the smaller sub-bubbles, it looks like only the person is reset (i.e. The Five Second Man). Maybe the sub-bubbles work different? Of course, we're dealing with a powerful cosmic being that doesn't have to play by any rules, but it just seemed like the filmmakers were playing a little loose with the internal logic of the resets. I'm pretty used to these stories being like "It's Cthulhu, we ain't gotta explain shit!" so it actually doesn't really bother me as much as I'm making it out to. Usually the less they explain, the better.
[close]

I give it 4 It Fits Many Loops Brother Memes out of 5.
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2018, 12:05:50 PM »
Is that the movie where the guy and the girl lock themselves in a house to perform some ritual? It was from last year, iirc. Not reading your spoilers in case it’s one I haven’t seen.

I watched Out of the Dark last night and it made me wish I was an adult in the 80s :(
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2018, 07:25:38 PM »

Godzilla (1954, dir. Ishiro Honda)

Nothing to see here, just watching my Criterion Collection Blu-Ray of Gojira. It reminds me that Godzilla 2000 was one of the first movies Rumbler and I saw in theaters without our parents having to take us, because I had gotten my driver's license and own vehicle (1987 Ford Bronco II  8) ). It was the opening weekend and there was about six people there. And that was the last theatrically released (real) Godzilla until Shin Godzilla. Whatev, Godzilla rules. 5 Kaiju out of 5.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 10:17:26 PM by Joe Molotov »
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2018, 07:36:47 PM »
Godzilla 2000 most certainly did not rule

Rob Zombie's Super Beast got me pumped for some godzilla, breh.
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2018, 07:38:44 PM »
Did you make Rumbler your backdoor honey in the theater once you realized the movie was terrible?
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2018, 07:40:44 PM »
Nah, we just watched the movie.
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2018, 02:23:07 AM »
Watching Rear Window. I’ve seen this a zillion times and it’s still a fave. Grace Kelly is rarely attractive for a female.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2018, 10:32:09 PM »

Rosemary's Baby (1968, dir. Roman Polanski)

I don't really have much to say, the movie's a masterpiece of suspense. It's funny to me that schlock director William Castle (of 13 Ghosts and House on Haunted Hill fame) produced this movie. Too bad he didn't win an Academy Award for it. Even though it came out the same year as 2001, the chodes at the Academy gave Best Picture to Oliver!  ::) 5 Hail Satans out of 5.
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2018, 11:46:27 PM »
Man, Rosemary's Baby is so fucking good.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »
8. John Carpenter's Village of the Damned (1995)
Saw this at the cinema and my dad rented it on VHS a year or so later. Hated this movie but pretended to love it for whatever reason

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2018, 12:37:45 PM »
Megasnake : Oh god dumb
Arachnaphobia: Really the first movie of spooktober that's actually creeped me out.
que

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2018, 12:59:32 PM »
Arachnophobia is great

Brehvolution

• Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside.
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2018, 01:46:04 PM »
Would anyone consider 1986's Maximum Overdrive horror?
©ZH

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2018, 03:04:34 PM »
Stephen King's finest hour.
©@©™

TVC15

« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2018, 06:04:26 PM »

The trailer is his finest hour. The movie is honestly terrible, and I have low standards for horror.

serge

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »
dog

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2018, 07:44:44 PM »
Revenge was stylish.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2018, 07:51:47 PM »

The trailer is his finest hour. The movie is honestly terrible, and I have low standards for horror.

I was mostly joking. That trailer is great, tho. :lol Sooo much coke.
©@©™

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »
9. John Carpenter's Ghosts of Mars (2001)

While this isn't a good movie, I don't think it's bad enough to be a "give up on your whole career" movie, either. In fact, I'd say if it was released a handful of years later, it'd probably live on as a SYFY cult classic kind of deal. It's definitely weird, and it definitely suffers from the same tone that every sci-fi/space movie had in that time period. It's a fairly bizarre mishmash of Assault on Precinct 13, Escape from New York, The Road Warrior, The Fog, campy 50's scifi, cop drama, Verhoveen-esque satire, trashy 70s exploitation movies, and Lovecraftian bullshit. It's fair to say it doesn't really work most of the time, and I'd say it'd work a lot better watching it on TV on some lazy weekend as opposed to paying to see it in a theater setting. It would actually benefit from ad breaks where you kind of forget the trash you're watching by the it comes back. It already feels like it's been edited for commercial fade outs to begin with.

Idk I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't like SYFY original tier movies, and it does bum me out to see how Carpenter went from Halloween/The Thing eventually to this, but it does have some neat music, some neat shots, an interesting cast, and is watchable. Ish.

5 It Was A Good Days out of 5

One of my favorite Carpenters. I don't care. The butt rock soundtrack..the weird set design. Natasha "god those legs" Henstridge, classic edgelord Ice Cube, weird cannibal vampire demons that make loud grunts to communicate... there are so many things to love about Ghosts of Mars idk how you could hate it.

Carpenter loves trash man, always has, he was destined to make shit like Escape from LA and Ghosts of Mars. I honestly believe the thing that hurt his career the most was the rise of CGI. I mainly believe this because I think Ghosts of Mars is better than Escape from LA purely because theres so much awful fucking cgi in the latter.

Ghosts of Mars is basically a first gen xbox 360 game.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2018, 12:28:07 AM »

Right now baby.
que

TVC15

« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2018, 12:50:54 AM »
I love Blacula. The gay stereotypes at the beginning give me life. 

This was absolutely abysmal. Hard to believe the same team was behind it. It looks amazingly cheap, too. None of the segments are good and attempts at commentary flop. Pretty sure one of the segments doesn’t even attempt to make commentary. The original isn’t perfect and it was never subtle, but it generally hit its targets. This is just an embarrassing flopza.
serge

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2018, 11:07:24 AM »

Pumpkinhead (1988, dir. Stan Winston)

I enjoy Pumpkinhead, but it's not a great movie. As you'd expect from a movie directed by Stan Winston, the creature is the strongest part of this movie. Everything else...ehhh. The movie makes the mistake I think of focusing too much on Lance Henriksen in the first half of the movie, which is fine at first because Lance Henriksen is awesome, but then in the second half when Pumpkinhead starts killing the teens it's like "who cares?" We barely even know them, or care if they get killed, they're basically just fodder. It undercuts the menace of Pumpkinhead if the only character we care about Lance Henriksen. I do like the story however, of an ancient backwoods demon that can be summoned to avenge wrong-doings, but at the cost of the summoner losing their soul and becoming the demon for the next summoning. I like the concept and I like the creature, but basically the script and every character that's not played by Lance Henriksen is trash. 2.5 Swamp Witches out of 5
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2018, 10:33:34 AM »

Harbinger Down (2015, dir. Alec Gillis)

It's another movie starring Lance Henriksen and directed by a sfx artist. This is the movie that was Kickstarted by the guys that got fired from The Thing remake, using the practical effects that the studio didn't like. The effects are...okay? They're not gonna make you forgot the original The Thing, but they're mostly fine. Everything else is SyFy Channel Original amateur hour, which I honestly expected going in. I just though that maybe the effects would be so cool that it would make up for it, but yeah not really. Lance Henriksen is still badass and there's a sexy Russian spy that talks about vodka and there's a asshole BIG UNIVERSITY professor that acts like he's straight out of a Marine Todd meme (he's the first one to die). Basically it's all just filler until the a giant tentacle monster shows up and starts killing everyone. 1.5 That Student's Name? Albert Einstein out of 5.
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2018, 03:24:16 PM »
Stickied until the end of the month. 8)
©@©™

Tasty

« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2018, 04:01:31 PM »
Bride is definitely one of the best horror sequels ever, and my fave Frankenstein movie.

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2018, 04:51:07 PM »
Friend Request & Truth or Dare dumb movies with dumb premises but they were kind of fun.

A Quiet Place some tense moments and the design of the creatures was cool. Had a deus ex machina ending like Signs/the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds movie which isn't for everybody.
WDW

TVC15

« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2018, 09:55:25 PM »
13. American Psycho 2: All American Girl (2002):

There's no way this wasn't an unproduced script written in 1998-2000 that was just hanging around when Lion's Gate decided maybe American Psycho was successful enough to do a cash in sequel. I mean I know it was written as a completely unrelated film and the Bateman connection was (very) hastily written in last second, but I'm saying this feels like it would have been written at the same time as Idle Hands or I Still Know what You Did Last Summer. Actually, it has a very Dexter like vibe to it as well.

Tbh, it's not that bad. It's a terrible follow up to such a great movie like American Psycho, and seeing as it wasn't written as a sequel, it has none of the commentary and satire that sets American Psycho apart. If you can overlook that and treat it as it's own thing, it is enjoyable in that late 90s teenage/college pretty people doing everything with an ironic smirk subgenre kind of way. Plus William Shatner.

The story is that Mila Kunis's babysitter took her on a date with one Patrick Bateman. Bateman killed the babysitter, and young Mila killed Bateman, then decided she wanted to be an FBI profiler, and sets up the next 10 years of her life to get to Quantico. This includes killing anyone who might get in her way. The funniest part is they don't even try to get a guy who looks like Christian Bale. In the flashback to the crime, it's a guy with brown hair in a smock and the eyebag mask and you really only see him from behind, but later they show a picture of Bateman and it doesn't even look like a knock off :lol :lol :lol

It's so unnecessary, but it's actually better than some sequels to the big horror series. :yeshrug

5 Reservations at Dorsia 

Do S. Darko next. I dare you.

Very sick tonight, so watching something familiar: Carrie. It’s of course amazing. Wish Piper Laurie was my mom. I’m just not sure if I want Carrie Piper or Twin Peaks Piper.
serge

Van Cruncheon

• live mas or die trying
  • Banned
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2018, 09:57:36 PM »
as above, so below was a palatable found footage romp. reeeee-tacular ending dims my view, and lol at translating aramaic riddles into rhyming modern english, but i am a sucker for occult adventures
duc

TVC15

« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2018, 10:06:01 PM »
S. Darko  isn't available to me for free and I will not go out of my way to find it so I'll have to pass, sadly. I'm open to other barely connected after the fact sequels though.

Where’s American Psycho 2? I’ll try to give it a whirl if I don’t fall asleep during Carrie.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #109 on: October 12, 2018, 07:51:17 AM »
American Psycho 2 is abysmal. I”d be surprised if S. Darko is worse!

As you watch, the first thing you think is that the worst part of it is going to be Mila Kunis’s voiceover work. It’s really really bad and ubiquitous. But then you get to see her do actual acting, and it’s even worse! She is truly an untalented person! So then you think you’ve seen the worst thing the movie could offer, but then the movie’s terrible twists start kicking in. Some of them are puzzling in their pointlessness. It’s like a producer said “Didn’t American Psycho have a twist or something?” and then decided to force a couple of especially dumb ones into this.

It also has the production quality of like a c-tier episode of The OC (although it still looks more professional than Tales from the Hood 2). There are -no- good kills. Most of them don’t even really happen on scene. No blood, no gore, no nudity (iirc). There’s no tittilation here, even of the juvenile kind. It is a bad movie...

...except when Shatner is on screen. Then it’s pretty much gold. So basically there are like ~10 worthwhile minutes here. Shatner da Gawd.
serge

TVC15

« Reply #110 on: October 12, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »
American Psycho 2 is abysmal. I”d be surprised if S. Darko is worse!

As you watch, the first thing you think is that the worst part of it is going to be Mila Kunis’s voiceover work. It’s really really bad and ubiquitous. But then you get to see her do actual acting, and it’s even worse! She is truly an untalented person! So then you think you’ve seen the worst thing the movie could offer, but then the movie’s terrible twists start kicking in. Some of them are puzzling in their pointlessness. It’s like a producer said “Didn’t American Psycho have a twist or something?” and then decided to force a couple of especially dumb ones into this.

It also has the production quality of like a c-tier episode of The OC (although it still looks more professional than Tales from the Hood 2). There are -no- good kills. Most of them don’t even really happen on scene. No blood, no gore, no nudity (iirc). There’s no tittilation here, even of the juvenile kind. It is a bad movie...

...except when Shatner is on screen. Then it’s pretty much gold. So basically there are like ~10 worthwhile minutes here. Shatner da Gawd.

If you watched through your cable company, it's the SYFY/TV cut so I assume there's probably a little more gore in the real version but maybe not. I figured you'd enjoy it. Perhaps it wasn't quite trashy enough for you?

Oh, I should have pointed out that I -did- enjoy it. It’s still a terrible movie. It’s worth watching for Mila’s I-can’t-believe-the-director-thought-this-was-okay performance alone. Even outside of the context of this being a terrible American Psycho sequel, its own terribleness would have made it a fun-bad watch by itself.

Anyway, since I brought it up, I’ll take the hit for the team on this one:

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:21:37 AM by TVC 15 »
serge

TVC15

« Reply #111 on: October 12, 2018, 09:50:12 AM »
S. Darko - There are 15 minutes left, but this ran out of gas about an hour ago. In contrast to American Psycho 2, this is an unfit terrible movie.

Unlike the enjoyable American Psycho 2, this movie has at least some ambition in regard to how it’s presented, but that ambition doesn’t translate to anything interesting in regard to the script or characters, and the terrible acting here is of the “characters whispering dialogue to each other” variety rather than whatever the fuck Mila Kunitz was doing. The movie straps on some superficial elements from Donnie Darko and tells a boring story that would be more interesting if it was, like th original, more incoherent.

I highly recommend NOT watching this, even if Gulf War Syndrome-infected weirdo hobos are treating to play this song (which is used in the movie) at you:

serge

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #112 on: October 12, 2018, 12:28:44 PM »

me tomorrow

TVC15

« Reply #113 on: October 12, 2018, 04:47:25 PM »
I really didn’t buy Ed Norton in Red Dragon. I normally like him, but he picked the wrong role that time. He’s the weakest of the three Will Grahams.

Philip Seymour Hoffman is likely the best of the three Freddie Lounds, but it might end up being a tie with the lady from Hannibal due to her expanded role. The original dude isn’t bad, either, although he’s doing more of a one note character actor thing.

I like Noonan as the best Dolarhyde. Fiennes ain’t bad either. This is a matter of personal preference, I guess. I can see it going either way and I like Noonan as an actor better. The Hannibal dude doesn’t rate here.

The guy in Silence is the best Jack Crawford, but much like Freddie Lounds, Laurence Fishburne May ultimately get my final nod due to his greatly expanded role in Hannibal.

Oh, the Hannibal dude is the best Chilton. That’s not even close.

Red Dragon (as a story/book) is a lot of fun because many of its scenes have now been staged three times and it’s fun to compare. Some key scenes even use similar cinematography.
serge

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2018, 06:24:46 PM »
Ooh, I remember Red Dragon. Is it streaming anywhere?
que

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #115 on: October 12, 2018, 09:00:08 PM »
I like Noonan as the best Dolarhyde.

seen here "raising the roof"
每天生气

TVC15

« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2018, 07:52:53 PM »
Didn’t you already review Halloween 4? You can’t do movies twice.
serge

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2018, 01:46:35 PM »
Watching Kill List right now and plan on watching Apostle right after it.

Apostle is by the guy that made The Raid. Hope he does horror as well as action.

Joe Molotov

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2018, 09:44:40 PM »

Lifeforce (1985, dir. Tobe Hooper)

Cannon Films Presents Tobe Hooper's Naked Space Vampires vs a Bunch of British Blokes  :delicious

It's hard to hate a movie that's got space vampires hiding in Halley's Comet, a zombie apocalypse, and a possessed Captain Picard. The second act sags a bit before Patrick Stewart shows up to enliven the proceedings, but then we hit the third act and the end of the world starts happening. Some solid sfx and set design, a solid effort from the British blokes just being British af, a solid pair of knockers on Mathilda May. I can't give it full marks though because even though it has a hot female vampire, it has no vampire lesbianism or lesbian vampirism. The only girl-vampire-on-girl action happens off screen. Did Tobe Hooper not live through the 70's, wtf dude? 3.5 Keep Calm and Carry Ons out of 5.
©@©™

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2018, 11:56:52 PM »

Watching this right now. It's been about 20-30 minutes and nothing has happened.
Pretty bad start for a "horror" movie.
que