3 (10.3%)
benji, i have faith in you, you'll give up later this time
16 (55.2%)
mupepe
4 (13.8%)
icon filler
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Anyone have any experience with self-publishing?  (Read 3919 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Anyone have any experience with self-publishing?
« on: October 24, 2018, 01:32:30 AM »
Or non-academic publishing even?

For reasons unknown, I was suddenly struck with the idea that I could do this while reading a few books that weren't all that good but were highly praised. (The main culprit: H.R. McMaster's Dereliction of Duty btw, which was his graduate thesis but reads more like a bunch of sophomore papers riddled with military lingo stapled together. The paperback has 12 pages of quoted praise from any source possible inserted into the front of it. :lol)

No, it's not about politics. It's more about...well, the kind of things that my blog probably should contain for some time before I make the leap to a BOOK. Stuff regarding the Playstation 2 and the first Xbox, for example.

I also partly want to see if I could do something like this for some time, but I've always been thinking about stuff I'm "trained" for and never been taken by anything for more than a couple weeks. But THIS I've pondered a bit for at least a month now. Twice as long! Proven! Also, I more or less got past the hardest part: the title. I think I out of the blue nailed it.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody had any experience with this, like say publishing through Amazon or whatever. Or even real publishers, which I assume I'd have to contact an agent for ideally, but there may be other systems.

Those are my actual real interests in this topic more than my potential masterpiece work that will defeat GamerGate. I just figured people probably want to know what it'd be about. And also I really wanted to make clear it wasn't politics related since that would be the main assumption. Okay, time for Titanfall 2 YUM! Happy Hour, so I'll post this without dwelling further even though there's nothing to lose by posting it anyway.

sphagnum

Re: Anyone have any experience with self-publishing?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 01:36:48 AM »
This is relevant to my interests as well actually, because I had a similar thought while reading godawful Star Wars books.

benjipwns

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 01:49:06 AM »
I think these Titanfall 2 players were sending me secret encouragement:

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 02:05:54 AM »
benji's coming for you, Henry Darger. :bolo

benjipwns

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 02:18:47 AM »
In the Realms of the Unreal is a 15,145-page work bound in fifteen immense, densely typed volumes (with three of them consisting of several hundred illustrations, scroll-like watercolor paintings on paper derived from magazines and coloring books) created over six decades. He wrote himself into the narrative as the children's protector.

The largest part of the book, The Story of the Vivian Girls, in What is Known as the Realms of the Unreal, of the Glandeco-Angelinian War Storm Caused by the Child Slave Rebellion, follows the adventures of the daughters of Robert Vivian, seven princesses of the Christian nation of Abbieannia who assist a daring rebellion against the child slavery imposed by John Manley and the Glandelinians. Children take up arms in their own defense and are often slain in battle or viciously tortured by the Glandelinian overlords. The elaborate mythology includes the setting of a large planet, around which Earth orbits as a moon (where most people are Christian and mostly Catholic), and a species called the "Blengigomeneans" (or Blengins for short), gigantic winged beings with curved horns who occasionally take human or part-human form, even disguising themselves as children. They are usually benevolent, but some Blengins are extremely suspicious of all humans, due to Glandelinian atrocities.
wow someone should mark this page for spoilers about the upcoming Coheed and Cambria albums

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 03:29:19 AM »
At first I thought this was about John Bach McMaster, and revelled in the idea of future generations of highschool students having to read excerpts by a Professor Benji.
每天生气

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 03:35:03 AM »
lol what a pussy way of gauging interest.

yes benji people will buy your book. you seem to have an earnest interest in explaining your knowledge when i ask shit like "how do xbox emulate work?" and get a response of
spoiler (click to show/hide)
well, Microsoft has now, and with improved IQ/resolutions, which is more important than it seems

the Xbox is "off the shelf" parts except for the NVIDIA chip and some others, which Microsoft had locked up tight and most developers never really took advantage of to where the thing has never had extensive documentation floating around out there, and literally most of the calls are apparently wildly different from the chips its based on

NVIDIA themselves basically made the thing and never futzed with it after, to where the kerfuffle years ago where Microsoft had to threaten a suit because they weren't putting out the chips fast enough was in part because NVIDIA didn't give a shit

from all accounts it's essentially a GF2/GF3 hybrid with a pair of shaders bolted on, BUT, it shares the main memory with everything else, and this is the Xbox's bottleneck, the bandwidth to and from memory from literally every part of the system is very slow (compared to the competitor consoles), this was part of the major divergence between PS2 and Xbox, if you wanted to apply textures and effects to a model on the Xbox you sent it to the GPU and had it do all of them before sending back, on the PS2 because the bandwidth for this was absurd, you just drew it a thousand times if need be...everybody's PS2 tools and such got better and better at this while the Xbox was mostly a port where the team used the texture and pixel advantages to just draw in higher resolutions or stick in PC version models or something

to take one of the big debates of the era, Doom 3 pretty much can't be done on the PS2 because Carmack's design is totally inverse to the assumptions the PS2 is built around, Carmack was convinced the Xbox couldn't do it either despite having the shader units but Splinter Cell changed his mind and they let Vicarious attempt it, interestingly Splinter Cell on PS2 has a bunch of post-process effects that aren't even in Chaos Theory because the PS2 can do a screenwide post-process effect for comparatively free quite simply versus even the PS3, this is part of why GTA:SA's "heat haze" and other similar effects aren't in the Xbox (or PC) version or is highly diminished, drawing the screen again on the Xbox is too costly and the B team doing those ports didn't see it as necessary

but tl;dr, last year when these Microsoft emulation efforts really took off, there were a lot of rumors about unsolicited and weirdly complete (if undocumented) code and fixes being submitted by burner accounts to xenia (360) and cxbx (xbox) both of which made some fairly large leaps in compatibility shortly there after, which certainly gives the impression that Microsoft's newfound interest in emulating the old Xboxes may have led them to unofficially help out the unofficial independent non-console efforts

PSP emulation similarly went almost overnight from basically unplayable to woah, everything works? with a rumor attached to it that some going out of business dev sending parts of the devkit which included an emulator and documentation which helped fill in long baffling gaps
[close]

i'm pretty sure you're equipped to write some more interesting shit. and you're just chock to the brim with technical details and tidbits like that. i've long said i'd read your blog. fill a book with that shit and i'll throw ya 20$ or whatever

benjipwns

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 03:45:34 AM »
Though I am fantastic at throwing out pussy ways of getting responses. I actually am seriously querying about publishing. I'm only familiar with academic and it's definitely not the same, far from the same.

I do see how it read like a totally unsubtle tease when I just wanted to clarify it wasn't politics-related. :lol

edit: nor DC Comics

Purrp Skirrp

• Mr. Paté
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 04:20:06 AM »
what about stro's mom

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 04:26:23 AM »
She's also fantastic at throwing out pussy
每天生气

agrajag

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 05:48:23 AM »
Boy genius bookworm read a million books now he thinks he can write one, what an autisty I hate women

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 06:08:39 AM »
Post your blog link Benji and I'll tell you if you have a anything remotely of interest

Boy genius bookworm read a million books now he thinks he can write one, what an autisty I hate women
stfu Cubano. You can't hate women if you're rarely around them  >:(

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 07:14:56 AM »
Paging Rumbro.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 08:56:33 AM »
Just do it

archnemesis

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »
Eel O'Brian has published two of his short story collections on Amazon.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 09:17:17 AM »
I self-published some stuff on Amazon's CreateSpace [which recently got rolled into Kindle Publishing]. It was a pretty easy process, mostly just figuring out the proper formatting and the like, and they only take a cut of the book's price tag, there's no fees or anything. Book quality was pretty good, too.
dog

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 09:44:06 AM »
I haven't updated it in a long time, but everything's still on here:

https://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Garrett/e/B0072V78NC/

Sorry, benji, this thread is about me now.
dog

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 10:07:24 AM »
http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2017/05/16/a-hot-steaming-sack-of-business-advice-for-writers/
http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2013/09/03/25-steps-to-becoming-a-self-published-author/

YMMV depending on how you view Wendig, but he's talked about this numerous times. He leans toward more traditional publishing since Amazon screws over writers, but isn't necessarily against self-publishing and even endorses it at times.

kingv

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 10:41:17 AM »
I know a lot about self pleasure...

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2018, 05:53:08 PM »
Benji, I believe in you and I hope you actually pursue this.

Love, Toku.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2018, 06:11:22 PM »
I self publish all my posts.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2018, 06:22:26 PM »
Does Bore fanfiction count?

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
bitch lasagna man, come on now.

benjipwns

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 09:16:02 PM »
hey! the poll results look like they're giving me the finger! :batman

D3RANG3D

• The Bore's Like Bot
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 09:31:52 PM »
You self publish doxx already.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2018, 11:03:15 AM »
hey! the poll results look like they're giving me the finger! :batman

what exactly would this book be about again?

benjipwns

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »
the peculiar ties between the strange success of the Sega Master System and Brazilian authoritarianism

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2018, 01:58:07 PM »
Where's the "benji, this will take away months of your life for only minuscule financial benefit" option?
dog

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2018, 04:43:04 PM »
the peculiar ties between the strange success of the Sega Master System and Brazilian authoritarianism

It all started when the benevolent ruler of Brazil made a deal with Dark Force for immortality...
^_^

Kara

• It was all going to be very admirable and noble and it would show us - philosophically - what it means to be human.
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2018, 05:45:27 PM »
The Master System is what, 7 months older than democracy in Brazil? Sound like a Tom Friedman book to me.

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2018, 06:35:20 PM »
why isn't BoyG in academia publishing yearly?

I mean... this guy is out here making a name for himself and he's not even out of undergrad

Maybe Genius Boy isn't so genius after all  :shaq2

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 06:45:17 PM »
If you do something outrageous enough, people will publish your manifesto for free.

benjipwns

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2018, 09:54:15 PM »
why isn't BoyG in academia publishing yearly?
who says i'm not :hitler

I mean... this guy is out here making a name for himself and he's not even out of undergrad

Maybe Genius Boy isn't so genius after all  :shaq2
Coleman Hughes almost exclusively writes for practically obscure paleoconservative, xenophobic, and borderline racist websites/blogs and appears on equally obscure YouTube channels talking about a single topic over and over. He'll never be academically or mainstream published without extensive changes and additions to his set list.

benjipwns

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2018, 09:54:53 PM »
Where's the "benji, this will take away months of your life for only minuscule financial benefit" option?
that's the default setting! :ohyou

:fbm
[close]

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2018, 10:03:17 PM »
equally obscure YouTube channels talking about a single topic over and over. He'll never be academically or mainstream published without extensive changes and additions to his set list.
he's on obscure youtube channels? really? oh ok 100k+ views is now "obscure"

Which youtube channels wouldn't be obscure to you?

we're back to the Bore Rees saying anything they do not agree with is obscure or invalid and will not provide a single point of reference to something that is worthy of their praise and respect
[close]

Here you are getting jelly and criticizing the work of a 24 year old undergrad but talking about self-publishing at mid 30-40s

:what

benjipwns

« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2018, 10:25:32 PM »
The only reason I have to be jealous of anyone appearing on The Rubin Report is that they've gotten a definitive answer to whether or not the set is in his living room.

You're trying to have it multiple ways by first talking about academic publishing, which is in and of itself super obscure, and then pointing to a minor YouTube channel of which almost all, even the largest, are inherently obscure but in a different manner. All while acting like it's in the publishing mainstream or even a success to brag about/praise/respect to appear on/in one of these. Quillette, for example, subsists entirely on wealthy patrons donating. Not uncommon actually for any kind of publishing endeavor but it's certainly not evidence of non-obscurity, nor that Coleman Hughes writing on a single topic in those kinds of realms, for free, will be sustainable for him long term.

Which ultimately is an entirely different goal from anything I was talking about in this thread.

The reason I was asking about self-publishing deals more from the fact that I don't find anything I have to write worthy of the cost of formally entering the publishing business as a writer. I have no ambitions of making any money let alone anything resembling a career out of it, even though I do believe I've identified a hole in the market that I can fill (phil) to feel like I have accomplished something with it. I remembered someone here did some but couldn't remember exactly who when I made the thread. (If it were to ever turn out to be otherwise the formal industry can always come to me for a directors cut/second edition/further work/etc. which will be just gravy.)

benjipwns

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2018, 10:30:35 PM »
the work of a 24 year old undergrad
yeah, totally jealous of the 24 year old undergrad philosophy major

it's like you found the one person both my wings of the humanities can look down on without existential doubt, what's next a sociology PhD candidate who's in year 11 of a 2.5 year program?

he's ON NOTICE that's he's got 18 months to get his two masters :ufup
one PhD? single field specialization is for MARXIST ACADEMIA not individualist polymath iconoclasts :bolo
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:38:47 PM by benjipwns »

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2018, 11:03:18 PM »
The only reason I have to be jealous of anyone appearing on The Rubin Report is that they've gotten a definitive answer to whether or not the set is in his living room.

You're trying to have it multiple ways by first talking about academic publishing, which is in and of itself super obscure, and then pointing to a minor YouTube channel of which almost all, even the largest, are inherently obscure but in a different manner. All while acting like it's in the publishing mainstream or even a success to brag about/praise/respect to appear on/in one of these. Quillette, for example, subsists entirely on wealthy patrons donating. Not uncommon actually for any kind of publishing endeavor but it's certainly not evidence of non-obscurity, nor that Coleman Hughes writing on a single topic in those kinds of realms, for free, will be sustainable for him long term.

Which ultimately is an entirely different goal from anything I was talking about in this thread.

The reason I was asking about self-publishing deals more from the fact that I don't find anything I have to write worthy of the cost of formally entering the publishing business as a writer. I have no ambitions of making any money let alone anything resembling a career out of it, even though I do believe I've identified a hole in the market that I can fill (phil) to feel like I have accomplished something with it. I remembered someone here did some but couldn't remember exactly who when I made the thread. (If it were to ever turn out to be otherwise the formal industry can always come to me for a directors cut/second edition/further work/etc. which will be just gravy.)
The most I've ever gotten from you is that you like to hear yourself blabber

Anyhooo, you are the one that brought up academia. You criticized a 24 year undergrad student and I'm assuming your criticism was to indicate that if he doesn't suck liberal dick and 'change his ways' he will never get published or reach 'mainstream' outlets like you would love to do by bending over and spreading your ass cheeks.. was that your point?

Because if it was then I ask again - what would be an accomplishment for you on youtube? Being on what podcast/show? Who do you respect in this medium?

Also, how much do you actually respect being published in academia? How legit is that really? You even said it yourself that it's obscure, and after that hilarious prank went down recently I'd think publishing anything outside of some serious work in some real fields of study like hard sciences......the rest seems like a joke.

I mean fuck Daddy P is published and he's a big joke to you, right? I guess what I'm trying to get at is - what is success to you? what does it mean to be accomplished in what you want to do? Being self-published when no one will give a flying fuck about what you write? Does that hold more value than appearing on something like Dave Rubin? Writing for "obscure" sites?

I also asked what was it that you wanted to self publish but you didn't answer that either

and for the record I don't like Rubin, he makes me cringe. But he did appear on Sam Harris's Podcast and that easily gets half a million hits or more
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:10:37 PM by Assimilate »

benjipwns

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2018, 11:13:19 PM »

Anyhooo, you are the one that brought up academia. You criticized a 24 year undergrad student and I'm assuming your criticism was to indicate that if he doesn't suck liberal dick and 'change his ways' he will never get published or reach 'mainstream' outlets like you would love to do by bending over and spreading your ass cheeks.. was that your point?

Because if it was then I ask again - what would be an accomplishment for you on youtube? Being on what podcast/show? Who do you respect in this medium?

Also, how much do you actually respect being published in academia? How legit is that really? You even said it yourself that it's obscure, and after that hilarious prank went down recently I'd think publishing anything outside of some serious work in some real fields of study like hard sciences......the rest seems like a joke.

I mean fuck Daddy P is published and he's a big joke to you, right? I guess what I'm trying to get at is - what is success to you? what does it mean to be accomplished in what you want to do? Being self-published when no one will give a flying fuck about what you write? Does that hold more value than appearing on something like Dave Rubin? Writing for "obscure" sites?

I also asked what was it that you wanted to self publish but you didn't answer that either

and for the record I don't like Rubin, he makes me cringe. But he did appear on Sam Harris's Podcast and that easily gets half a million hits or more
[close]
[close]

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2018, 11:17:24 PM »
 :trumps

when you can't answer the questions throw a gif out there

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2018, 11:18:52 PM »
he says what it would be about in the op dummy

Tasty

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2018, 11:23:27 PM »

[close]
[close]
(Image removed from quote.)

Fucking Data's smartass smirk to her. "Lol, dumbass." :lol

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2018, 11:28:38 PM »
he says what it would be about in the op dummy

No, it's not about politics. It's more about...well, the kind of things that my blog probably should contain for some time before I make the leap to a BOOK.

I don't know what the fuck his blog was about.... wait, he's serious here ?
Stuff regarding the Playstation 2 and the first Xbox, for example.

lol, I thought he was joking. Like, really?? And wasn't there a book about this already? I know there was a good one about the 360 and PS3 years.

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2018, 01:01:47 AM »
Eel O'Brian has published two of his short story collections on Amazon.

Those were quite good!

And there was a Miles-something-or-other pen name lovecraftian investigator author here too, wasn't there?

benjipwns

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2018, 01:15:34 AM »
and wasn't there a book about this already? I know there was a good one about the 360 and PS3 years.
Steven Kent and Richard Stanton don't really have the space within their total scope of their work. Game Over is the original and tells the NES story obviously, Steve Harris' book covers the Genesis and the resulting titular "Console War", but most everything else is about the first generation and earlier and Sam Pettus and Sega-16 both told the Sega stories at length.

The Wii/360/PS3 generation would be the endpoint of my narratives. With the epilogue being both Sony and Microsoft releasing basically the same console for this generation.

That gap period is where I'm interested to start by helping compile for posterity. The return of the corporate behemoths to the industry. The leap into 3D. The expansion of storage into optical discs. Testing the waters of the online connection. The rise of a true mainstream multibillion dollar entertainment industry that over the period confined one of the giants to software and the other to having to find a niche.

The basic structure I've sketched out probably ideally calls for volumes that work more like a collection of individual articles thematically tied together, than a regular work of history set out in one of the customary methods of historiography for the masses. Such collections are much more common in academia, but I certainly don't intend on applying academic style or methodology to it other than in what comes naturally. And usually they're multiple authors obviously with the thematic in the editing, but since I see part of the appeal as the collection itself I'm not seeing an actual problem.

Funny enough as I was sketching out the ideas to outline I realized that there's a double prologue to it. Initially, I imagined that the main prologue was the SNES CD-ROM, where Nintendo at CES spurns Sony and the PlayStation for Phillips and what would become the CD-i and Nintendo abandoning CDs altogether. Then I realized that if you go back earlier, to 1979, well before the NES, and not too long after the 2600, there's Phillips and Sony again, beginning the process of inventing what would be the CD, which they did and standardized via Red Book in 1980 and released in 1982. The NES would come out in Japan in 1983. (Also in 1979, Microsoft moves to Washington. In 1980 they contract to make DOS, and in 1981 release MS-DOS. Windows comes out in 1985, the same year as the NES in the U.S.)

Coincidences are fun for constructing a narrative, especially if we're good Marxists and see the predestination of all these factors once the sheer unchecked forces of history drive them to their natural endpoints.

It seems natural that the stuff seagrams (beaks) quoted above that I wrote about the Xbox's ram bottleneck compared to the PS2's "unlimited" vector units once reformatted and placed into a sensible narrative is just the kind of ideal thing I need to start bending over and spreading my ass cheeks to take all that liberal "mainstream" dick I'm all about 24/7/365.25.

:tauntaun
[close]

benjipwns

« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2018, 01:17:24 AM »
I haven't yet decided if I should come up with a pen name or write under my real name, Andrew Vestal.

Kara

« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2018, 01:21:04 AM »
It seems natural that the stuff seagrams (beaks) quoted above that I wrote about the Xbox's ram bottleneck compared to the PS2's "unlimited" vector units once reformatted and placed into a sensible narrative is just the kind of ideal thing I need to start bending over and spreading my ass cheeks to take all that liberal "mainstream" dick I'm all about 24/7/365.25.

I thought your name was benji, not Julian.

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2018, 05:17:36 AM »
Get a real jerb, moran.
Margs

benjipwns

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2018, 05:28:34 AM »
Get a real jerb, moran.
You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private sector. They expect results!

Assimilate

• Now bringing you *Zen*
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2018, 06:08:01 AM »
and wasn't there a book about this already? I know there was a good one about the 360 and PS3 years.
Steven Kent and Richard Stanton don't really have the space within their total scope of their work. Game Over is the original and tells the NES story obviously, Steve Harris' book covers the Genesis and the resulting titular "Console War", but most everything else is about the first generation and earlier and Sam Pettus and Sega-16 both told the Sega stories at length.

The Wii/360/PS3 generation would be the endpoint of my narratives. With the epilogue being both Sony and Microsoft releasing basically the same console for this generation.

That gap period is where I'm interested to start by helping compile for posterity. The return of the corporate behemoths to the industry. The leap into 3D. The expansion of storage into optical discs. Testing the waters of the online connection. The rise of a true mainstream multibillion dollar entertainment industry that over the period confined one of the giants to software and the other to having to find a niche.

The basic structure I've sketched out probably ideally calls for volumes that work more like a collection of individual articles thematically tied together, than a regular work of history set out in one of the customary methods of historiography for the masses. Such collections are much more common in academia, but I certainly don't intend on applying academic style or methodology to it other than in what comes naturally. And usually they're multiple authors obviously with the thematic in the editing, but since I see part of the appeal as the collection itself I'm not seeing an actual problem.

Funny enough as I was sketching out the ideas to outline I realized that there's a double prologue to it. Initially, I imagined that the main prologue was the SNES CD-ROM, where Nintendo at CES spurns Sony and the PlayStation for Phillips and what would become the CD-i and Nintendo abandoning CDs altogether. Then I realized that if you go back earlier, to 1979, well before the NES, and not too long after the 2600, there's Phillips and Sony again, beginning the process of inventing what would be the CD, which they did and standardized via Red Book in 1980 and released in 1982. The NES would come out in Japan in 1983. (Also in 1979, Microsoft moves to Washington. In 1980 they contract to make DOS, and in 1981 release MS-DOS. Windows comes out in 1985, the same year as the NES in the U.S.)

Coinc :oreillyidences are fun for constructing a narrative, especially if we're good Marxists and see the predestination of all these factors once the sheer unchecked forces of history drive them to their natural endpoints.

:tauntaun
[close]

omg he's serious   :oreilly

Takuan

« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2018, 04:10:00 PM »
Why self-publish when you can self-author?  :rollsafe

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2018, 07:09:28 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14247322/
yo benji sup with this? i googled 360 devkits and the pics show the typical 'regular console but with some weird shit on it' a la the wii u. how's the mac figure in?

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2018, 07:29:11 PM »
https://www.resetera.com/posts/14247322/
yo benji sup with this? i googled 360 devkits and the pics show the typical 'regular console but with some weird shit on it' a la the wii u. how's the mac figure in?

Early 360 games were demoed at E3 on Power Mac G5s.
dog

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »
I made the NeoGAF OT for Gears of War 4 so I’m somewhat of a pro.