Author Topic: Covers Where You Had Never Heard The Original Until Now/Recently/Far Later  (Read 849 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
Could potentially be my favorite Rage track in a lot of ways:
Rage Against The Machine - "Renegades of Funk"
[close]

But never before did I actually bother to look up the original song for this, I mean most of the others on that album are all decently well known, and for a while I just assumed this was maybe a Rage original tossed on there. Then for whatever reason this weekend I looked up the original, and its music video finally. My life will never be the same.

Afrika Bambaataa & The Soulsonic Force - "Renegades of Funk"
[close]

:gladbron :leon :whoo

And apparently the FULL version is like 15 minutes long or something but I'm not sure I'm ready for that. :dead

benjipwns

Quote from: October 2016
Afrika Bambaataa Allegedly Molested Young Men For Decades

accusers "claim that these accounts of alleged abuse have been common knowledge in the Bronx River community and beyond since the early 80s, including among many of Bambaataa's closest friends and Zulu soldiers"
man, these fucking social studies warriors will stop at nothing to bring down our heroes

Himu

Quote from: October 2016
Afrika Bambaataa Allegedly Molested Young Men For Decades

accusers "claim that these accounts of alleged abuse have been common knowledge in the Bronx River community and beyond since the early 80s, including among many of Bambaataa's closest friends and Zulu soldiers"
man, these fucking social studies warriors will stop at nothing to bring down our heroes
This is why Bambaataa was written out of the get down.
IYKYK

agrajag

How I Could Just Kill A Man.

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
I've never listened to Cohen's "Hallelujah" even though I've heard the song 30-40 times.

Also, speaking of RATM, I always knew that "Ghost of Tom Joad" was a Springsteen cover, but I never sought it out.

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))

This is the original by weezer
每天生气

benjipwns

shame bruce had to go and make it all political smh ::)

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
I didn't know Mad World was a Tears for Fears song for a long time after first hearing it in Donnie Darko.
©@©™

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed

Being a bit more relevant, No Doubt helped get me into Talk Talk

Hi

hampster

I only listened to Jazzman by Carole King recently
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]

Personally, I think Lisa Simpson does a much better job. My favorite song from the Simpsons cd I had
spoiler (click to show/hide)
[close]
Zzz

Dickie Dee

• It's not the band I hate, it's their fans.
Re: Covers Where You Had Never Heard The Original Until Now/Recently/Far Later
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 05:41:10 PM »
Speaking of The Boss, I was pretty surprised after I found out Blinded by The Light was originally his song:

___

ILikePizza

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 07:37:57 PM »
I thought Summer Breeze by the Isley Brother's was the original and the Seals and Croft version was a cover.

curly

• cultural maoist
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2018, 12:35:21 AM »
wait a sec

benji listens to rage against the machine? this goes against my headcanon

Tasty

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 01:09:31 AM »

benjipwns

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 01:10:50 AM »
wait a sec

benji listens to rage against the machine? this goes against my headcanon
Don't you remember in 2012 when Paul Ryan said they were one of his favorite bands and Tom Morello freaked the fuck out over it? (And de la Rocha was more...zen...about it.)

I might be changing some as I age (or I was underwhelmed by their come back attempt and the Mars Volta years had depressed me too much), but for most of my "years" At The Drive-In has been my top favorite band, with Relationship of Command as my ultimate album. (Glassjaw, Head Automatica, Coheed and Cambria, Thursday and Neil Cicierega are just five that have taken at least one decent shot at my king over the years, most pre-2007 for some reason...I could probably figure out four more (Brand New? Alexisonfire? Blaqk Audio?) to make it ten that took shots. Although the first two should really be combined. Maybe those are closer to your headcanon? Although my palette to what I listen to in general is so much broader, I certainly have a favorite flavor of sorts I can see just from listing those now.)