Author Topic: I’m Beat these games before buying any new ones (backlog tracker)  (Read 1063 times)

kingv

So I’m trying to be a bit more responsible with my gaming budget by making sure to beat up the backlog before pressing picking up any new impulse purchases (other than the few thing I already have preordered). Thought it might be good to track my progress here and maybe others would do the same.

Current shit I need to beat before purchasing the next game:
- fist of the North Star Got Em!
- Yakuza Kiwami 2 (not started)
- Prey (not started)
- Injustice 2 story mode (halfway or so)
- Red Dead 2 (barely started)
- Mega Man 11 (not started)
- Cuphead (not started)
- DMC 4 SE replay (25% through or so)
- beat vanquish on PC (not started)
- MARIO Rabbids (last world)
- hollow knight (pretty close I think)
- fire emblem warriors (more than halfway)
- AC Origins (not started... but not excited about it either)
- spider man dlc (last 2 parts are not out yet)
- shadow run Hong Kong (not started)
- Dark souls 3 (not started)

Shit I currently have preordered that I still plan to get
- Smash Ultimate
- Pokemans Lets Go (to play with child)
- DmC 5 (it’s dmc and I will play it at launch)

Shit that I don’t know exactly when it’s dropping but will probably get on release:
- cyberpunk
-Metroid Prime 4
- bayonetta 3
- anything else platinum
- fire emblem switch

Shit I’m eyeing but trying to be strong about because that list above is huge:
- Shadow of Tomb Raider
- doom eternal (high odds that I’ll really want to play this on launch)
- Re2 remake (tbh, I really like the action based co-op REs the best... so not so sure on this one)
- Rage 2 (can probably st least wait for reviews)
- Sekiro (from games tend to frustrate me, so I think I’ll be able to wait)
- Wasteland 3

I probably have 2 dozen other pc games that I got on sale that I haven’t started too.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:49:42 AM by kingv »

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: I’m Beat these games before buying any new ones (backlog tracker)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 05:35:52 PM »
Compiling the list is only going to make me sad. Full support for your efforts though.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 08:06:18 AM by Rufus »

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 07:08:34 PM »
I am debating even opening some shit or just selling it as I’ll get more for it. I mean most of what I’ve gotten in past year has been on sale but phewlad  :doge

Still in market for an X lol

kingv

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 07:22:01 PM »
I literally think that list would take me through 2019 to beat.

I know I’ll buy some games in 2019, but if I can keep it to like 1 every 2 months that’s a win doubly if they are mostly on sale.

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 10:13:20 AM »
What I usually do is go to www.howlongtobeat.com to figure out average times, then pick the stuff that matches best with my current schedule and free time. Slow winter months mean longer titles... short games for times when I won't get more than a few hours a week free time.
^_^

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
Just play, purchase and enjoy.

I tried the "Gotta finish the backlog!" thing before and it really bummed me out.
Same as only playing games with high critical scores and all that.

These days I just buy and play the games I feel like playing. Like Tomb Raider. And I don't give a shit about the metascore or if I still need to finish Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or not.
I actually found that games that the community dunked on where actually a blast. I really enjoyed Halo 5 for example.
Still, if you're playing to clear out your backlog start with the short games such as Mega Man 11. Because then you will actually see some progress.
With stuff like Assassins Creed, well you can play those basically forever and it feels like you've made 0 progress.
🤴

archnemesis

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 07:31:22 AM »
On Backloggery I have 600+ unfinished games. I recently stopped updating it with PS+ freebies.

The best part of tracking your backlog is that it reduces new purchases.

kingv

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 11:41:20 AM »
My problem isn’t necessarily forcing myself to play through games I don’t want to play. It’s that I actually do want to play all of those games to some degree and don’t have the time.

Mostly I’m trying to pare down my buying of “oh I heard this pretty good and it’s only $20”, because I end up picking up a lot of hair that I literally don’t even take out of the shrink wrap.

That list is actually missing a few that I bought but just don’t have any will to even start.

I see you Shenmue remasters.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 11:43:59 AM »
Just throw all your old games away and pretend today is the first day of video games.
©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »
The best part of tracking your backlog is that it reduces new purchases.

If only
:stahp
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 01:07:13 PM »
This thread has had me thinking about evolving my gaming hobby.  When I was in my teens and twenties,  i was playing games and going to the movies 24/7.  Since getting older and having a family of my own now, I've had to drastically change how my hobby goes.  My play time has practically been cut down about 4/5 of what i use to, and movies?  I don't hardly ever go now.... ..

But ive adapted for the most part.. i now put more care into what i should play with what little time i have... and with a constant flow of quality games releasing, it's a bit overwhelming. 

That being said, I as well need to fight the urge and temper my hype to new releases I have interest in.  Unless its a mammoth game I've been anxious for a few years now, (i.e. Cyberpunk 2077, Death Stranding), i need to just play what i have (backlog) and wait out some of the other big titles.  A.) It'll save me money, as price drops are constant, B.) The post launch bugs and whatnot will most likely be more polished., and C.) Extra content, such as DLC, could be included with purchase later down the road.

My current backlog has some titles that, more than a few would agree, should to be played...

Yakuza 0
Dark Souls 3
Alien Isolation

Just to name a few. And those are just the ones i have actually downloaded in my system amongst others. I've dabbled in them and enjoyed them,  but then some new game launches that i feel i need to get Day 1... And not that i don't enjoy them at launch,  it's just that now,  for reasons A, B and C above,  i need to take a little more care in making my choice of when to pick up and play a game... I need to be patient and resist launch hype to the best of my ability.

Sorry for the rambling.  :doge
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:11:25 PM by Svejk »

kingv

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 11:57:14 AM »
This is a thread for rambling.

I struck one off of my list last night. Fist of the North Star.

This game is only good if you like Fist of the North Star. It’s the best Fist game ever made  but the worst Yakuza game (of the ones I’ve played).

I liked it, and some of the Fist in-jokes are pretty good but the sub stories were mostly not so great. The ones that are wacky as d meant to be dumb are pretty ok, but Fist is such a needlessly self-serious property that the ones that are earnest and meant to be touching are terrible.

Best moments:
- a chick asking kenshiro if there is a channeling point to make her boobs bigger
- the bar tending mini game is hilarious. One. Of the drinks is called “You Are Already Drunk”
- hostess mini game where Kenshiro offers to teach a hostess Hokuto Shinken to help her with her nervousness.
- beating Uighur and his Mongolian shoulder
- beating  on Toki until he coughs and beating on him some more
- beating on Rao
- killing Shin
- the death cry collection that plays on the meme of “people Kenshiro kill say all sorts of random shit”.... not sure how holy shit balls made the list, and why the game comes with a holy shit balls sticker.