Author Topic: Giving games multiple chances till you get it  (Read 4152 times)

Himu

Giving games multiple chances till you get it
« on: November 06, 2018, 02:08:11 PM »
Anyone doing that for any games?

I've done that with Mario 64.

I used to think the game was too bloated and the pacing too clunky to compare to other Mario titles. I found a lot of the stars to be filler and I didn't like collecting them. I think it was related to how I played Mario 64 rather than the game itself. Normally I'd beat every stage on a floor before moving on to the next one. This forced me to play stages I didn't like much and have to deal with filler stars immediately. So one time on a random run, I just went for star number minimums. So the first floor unlocks more stages at 5 stars, I'd go fight Bowser the second he was unlocked and focus on levels I actually liked rather than ones I didn't.

For instance, instead of playing Roger Bay which I'm not a big fan of, I'd concentrate on levels I do like such as Whomp Whomp's and the ice level. Then I could get 5 stars easy with no fuss and then move on. Then 20 stars. Then 40. Then 50. I no longer have to fight the game. :) Focusing on the courses you like makes the game a lot more fun rather than just concentrate on raw star collecting. The genius of putting multiple stars in courses means that you can skip courses you don't like and can get to the star minimum just playing the ones you do. It allows a lot of flexibility and changed my opinion on the game overall.

I started to love the game once I opened my mind to it.

Sometimes enjoying a game more requires approaching it differently.

Anyone else?
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
Re: Giving games multiple chances till you get it
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 02:42:48 PM »
Not really but I can definitely agree that being a completionist can be way less fun

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 02:52:12 PM »
vagrant story, which had more to do with its obtuse weapon mechanics than anything else.

Himu

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 02:54:56 PM »
Not really but I can definitely agree that being a completionist can be way less fun

It's hard not to want to be a completionist with mario 64 tho
IYKYK

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 02:55:42 PM »
Yeah, true, you gotta do that loop back tho

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 03:10:49 PM »
vagrant story, which had more to do with its obtuse weapon mechanics than anything else.

I tried so many times :(

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 03:19:39 PM »
so worth it though

archnemesis

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 03:25:27 PM »
I needed a handful of attempts before I understood Paradox Interactive’s grand strategy titles.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 03:32:25 PM »
oh yea, baldur's gate 2

dat opening dungeon  :maf

Himu

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 03:37:35 PM »
You find it that bad?
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »
its pretty infamous and was a bitch before the days of gamefaqs and guides, especially as a young teen.

Himu

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 03:41:33 PM »
It was infamous? I thought it was mostly bad for replays when you wanna get the game going but have to go through this long ass dungeon.
IYKYK

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2018, 03:49:25 PM »
I can count two times it actually worked for me. The games were G-police (a playstation game) and Dark Souls, which became one of my favorates. Though to be fair i tried Dark Souls before it had some following and it looked like ass on PS3.

Himu

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2018, 04:46:02 PM »
Dmc4 was really disappointing to me after 3

In hindsight it was a classic example of being happy with what you got because DMC would be dead for ten years after its release.
IYKYK

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2018, 04:49:06 PM »
dmc3 was so fucking hard. i'd work my way into a rhythm then get ass fucked by a boss of sorts. i really wish i bough the special edition because i didn't have time for that shit.

i do remember it getting easier as you worked your way through it unlocking skills and all but once you put the game down for any considerable amount of time, gg

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2018, 08:27:36 PM »
I tried this so many times for original Xbox Ninja Gaiden. Just couldn't deal with the camera and the too high (for me) difficulty.
^_^

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2018, 08:41:39 PM »
might as well throw in majora's mask

the game didn't click for me until i discovered that song that slowed down time in the barn

Himu

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2018, 08:43:02 PM »
First time I played Majora's I was confused as fuck. Replayed it like 6 years later and it was my favorite Zelda.
IYKYK

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2018, 05:03:57 AM »
I bought yakuza 0 twice on ps4 and later pc but just couldnt get into it no matter how hard i tried
What

Svejk

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2018, 11:14:18 AM »
I could only say there's only been one game that that's happened for me;  Shining Force.   Back then, Strategy games just seemed silly and boring.  As I got older and gave it an honest try, it did finally click.

Other than that, never again has that happened...  I still do try to play certain games that didn't click then (when purchased)...  I usually just put it to the side and try again later... I'm on my 4th or 5th attempt to play through Chrono Trigger.  I can get why peeps gush over it and it certainly has it's charm...  but I just fall out of interest in it all too often...   but I'll keep trying...

This is also the case for DA: Inquisition, Yakuza 0, Dark Souls 3, Transistor, Bayonetta 2, to name a few...  I refuse to delete them off my systems, because I do want to play them still!  I just keep missing that hook it seems.   :yeshrug
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:18:30 AM by Svejk »

kingv

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »
Sometimes I have a hankering to go back to some game I set aside ages ago.

Right now that is Hitman and for some reason Mad Max.

paprikastaude

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2018, 02:47:23 PM »
Resident Evil 3 - In my memory I saved this off as much worse, just because it couldn't live up to 2. I still feel it has the same problems I felt back in the day, i.e. too many enemies, Nemesis encounters and too litte iconic locations. Though going back to it, I found the positive aspects to still make it a very good survival game overall.

Castlevania 4 - I don't care too much for slow platformers and the existence of Metroidvania made me dismiss old Castlevania for like a decade. Then I played the Rondo remake, which I primarily got to have a phyiscal Symphony of the Night, which changed my mind about the series and I appreciate SC4 much more now.

I tried Vagrant Story a couple of time, but it seems nonsensical without a guide every time.

Tasty

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2018, 03:06:54 PM »
Sonic Mania.

Fuck the pre-patch time limit and the last level orbs, ferreal. :maf

Charming platformer otherwise. Stellar sprites and music. :heartbeat

I actually started a second playthrough a few weeks ago, and I never thought I'd return to the game. I just had the itch.

Tasty

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2018, 03:13:04 PM »
Also Monster Hunter Tri.

The demo disc sat on my shelf for months because I couldn't beat Peco (the other demo hunt, Jaggi, was obviously easy enough.) But I knew that if I "cracked" the controls that it would be an experience I'd very much enjoy. I knew MH's reputation as an obtuse series, and made a deal with myself not to buy the full game without beating the demo.

Two years pass, I finally put in the effort and time to learn the controls, basic animation timing, and Peco's attacks, and emerge victorious. Picked up the full game a few days later. Monster Hunter is now in my top three "evergreen" series that I can play at any time, anywhere, no matter how much time has passed since release (the others being Animal Crossing and Mario Kart.)

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2018, 03:41:13 PM »
Seconding Monster Hunter. Took me like 15 hours to get really in to it. First time I played it I dropped it after 6 hours of playing.

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 05:07:08 PM »
Dragon Quest 7 I tried this three times before it "clicked" it ended up becoming in my top 4 of that series
Rondo of Blood tried this on PSP and hated it. Trying it again with the PS4 re-release. Really enjoying it
Metal Gear: Peace Walker Tried it on PSP, hated the control scheme. Played it in the MGS collection on the PS3 and I enjoyed it a lot more. Still WTF tho.
Baldur's Gate 2 I swear I've started this game like 4 or 5 times I get through that first dungeon, I think the farthest I've made it is to the circus. But usually that first dungeon is enough for me to give up.
que

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 08:20:44 PM »
Bayonetta 2

:rage

You haven't played this yet!?
 :noooo
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 08:49:29 PM »
Games I'm going to try again or have barely/never played (pile of shame):

Yakuza - I started Yakuza 0 but right now it's taking a back seat to Fist Of The North Star...which recently also took a back seat to some other games.  Need to get back to them.
God Of War - Sold the first game after playing it for just a little bit.  Felt like a dumbed-down DMC or Ninja Gaiden at the time (and I think that still stands), but people love the shit out of these games.  I went back and picked up the PS3 compilations with all the games and the newest one on PS4.  One day I'm gonna give 'em a go.
Super Mario Galaxy - Played some of the original and never finished it.  Never played the sequel.  Would very much like to see these get ported to the Switch.
Zelda Twilight Princess - Didn't want waggle so I sold this off pretty much immediately when the Wii came out.  Never got around to getting on the Game Cube.  I did finally pick it up on Wii U though.  Another game I'd like to see get re-released on the Switch.
Devil May Cry 3 and 4 - Was just not able to get into these.  Not sure if I will ever play 4 but I would like to give 3 another go.
Diablo - Currently giving this another shot with Diablo III on Switch!
Infamous - Never played any of these!  Have them all waiting to go now.
Prince Of Persia games after 1 - I loved the original PoP.  LOVED IT.  Still one of my favorite games ever.  And then that's about it.  The sequel was too hard.  The first 3D game that came out (on Dreamcast and PC, IIRC) sucked.  The ones Ubisoft made seemed cool but I dunno what it was...played a bit of the first of these and that was it.  Got the PS3 collection with these games to try again.
Kingdom Hearts - Played a little of the original game and never tried the others.  Got the two PS4 collections with everything and will try them out soon.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:38:07 PM by bork »
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 08:50:07 PM »
Bayo 2 isn't as good as the first anyway. And I like Bayo 2.

I agree...but it's still awesome.  Svejk's a buddy and knowing what he likes to play...that's a shock.  :lol 
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 10:15:44 PM »
FYI this thread isn’t for games you didn’t like and didn’t go back to. It’s for those games you didn’t like at first and maybe gave up on them multiple times and then somehow they clicked
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 10:23:04 PM »
FYI this thread isn’t for games you didn’t like and didn’t go back to. It’s for those games you didn’t like at first and maybe gave up on them multiple times and then somehow they clicked

I made a list of games I am or plan to go back to. 

Initially I had some games I didn't care for and I edited the post to remove them.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 10:35:20 PM »

I disagree with this.

It’s more polished and plays smoother. Also has better level design.

The final boss in 2, and the incoherent story in general is much better in 1 though.

I know the the super try harder like Bayo1 better because the move execution is more difficult so it has a higher skill ceiling... but fighting that black dude was plenty hard in 2.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 11:14:56 PM »

I disagree with this.

It’s more polished and plays smoother. Also has better level design.

The final boss in 2, and the incoherent story in general is much better in 1 though.

I know the the super try harder like Bayo1 better because the move execution is more difficult so it has a higher skill ceiling... but fighting that black dude was plenty hard in 2.

Bayonetta did a wonderful job of getting more and more 'crazy big' with its enemies and boss fights.  Massive bosses, standing on a plane dodging missiles, then fighting with Jeanne and still dodging missiles on the side of a building and on the missile, etc.  Bayo 2 doesn't approach these levels and it feels like you're fighting the "leftovers," which, story-wise...you are.  Bayo 1 just had a much grander scale to it, IMO.

And props for the Sega-related stuff (Outrun, Space Harrier, Afterburner, etc.) in Bayo 1 too!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 11:20:49 PM by bork »
ど助平

Svejk

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2018, 08:08:03 AM »

I agree...but it's still awesome.  Svejk's a buddy and knowing what he likes to play...that's a shock.  :lol
All this talk about it... maybe it's that time to try it again.  :heh  Actually use the Wii U for something else other than a emu machine.  :doge 

Tasty

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2018, 10:13:41 AM »
Super Mario Galaxy - Played some of the original and never finished it.  Never played the sequel.  Would very much like to see these get ported to the Switch.

:rage

You haven't played this yet!?
 :noooo

paprikastaude

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2018, 10:17:04 AM »
Bayo1 alongside Wonderful 101 is probably the worst Kamiya game, because outside the battle system all the level design sucks. It's filled with horrendous trial & error and crap shooting sections, which was thankfully all removed in 2.

paprikastaude

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »
I need at some point get back to Valkyrie Profile. My first try was maybe even more confusing than Vagrant Story, but I really want to get into this one - especially since it took me quite a long time to obtain it and the concept seems great (even though I don't get the mechanics).

Himu

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2018, 12:49:33 PM »
VP is easier to understand than VS.

And Bayonetta 1 is eh. I never bothered with Bayo 2 because Bayo 1 was a mediocre stylish action game for me. I still don't understand the appeal of Bayonetta. It never clicked the way DMC and NG did.
IYKYK

Svejk

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2018, 01:40:41 PM »
Vagrant Story pissed me off so much back then;  Hits a bat with full swing of a sword, make contact, sparks fly....  ZERO HP taken off bat. *hard ejects CD while still spinning, frantically put back in jewel case and put back on shelf indefinitely.
... I would've sold it sooner... if it weren't so damn beautiful.

I've been contemplating VP again though too..  hit a dead end back then and didn't understand what to do next.  It too was damn gorgeous and had such an awesome OST.

paprikastaude

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »
Vagrant Story pissed me off so much back then;  Hits a bat with full swing of a sword, make contact, sparks fly....  ZERO HP taken off bat. *hard ejects CD while still spinning, frantically put back in jewel case and put back on shelf indefinitely.

You can hit the bat's left wing, but only with a blunt weapon. Duh, what's not to get?  :win

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2018, 04:49:33 PM »
I used to do with that GTA but stopped wasting my time and money on them.
野球

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2018, 07:52:09 PM »
I didn't quite get the weapon system in VS, but I found that if you used debuff spells pretty liberally, and maybe kept 3 different types of weapons in rotation, you can make it through most of the game. I grinded a bit on the dummy near the final save point just so I can beat the final dragon boss (after fighting him for like 2 hours and then losing).
^_^

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2018, 07:37:13 AM »
Tasty, was not a big fan of the Wii and waggle controls of any kind- the only exception was RE4, and its pointer controls actually made everything too easy.  :lol  Most of the Wii games I spent time with were the ones that had full classic controller support.
:idont

Bayo1 alongside Wonderful 101 is probably the worst Kamiya game
And Bayonetta 1 is eh.
:trigger  :ltg :cornette :rogan :whatisthis :foodcourt :samoa :stop

I thought this was about giving games multiple chances "till you get it" though!
:heyman

Himu, at least tell me that you didn't play Bayo on PS3.  That's the shitty, awful-outsourced-Sega-port-job-not-done-by-Platinum version.

That reminds me...I need to try The Wonderful 101.  It's one of the last remaining Wii U only games I'd like to play.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 07:50:21 AM by bork »
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:49 AM »
There's nothing to get about poor QTE implementation and crappy turret sections :nope Instead of W101, get Sin & Punishment 2, that's actually a good Wiimote action game.

Speaking of Nintendo, I finally gave Zelda 2 a proper chance on NES Mini. Once the battle system clicks, it has actually the best combat of the entire series, great game. :rejoice

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2018, 09:28:37 AM »
There's nothing to get about poor QTE implementation and crappy turret sections :nope Instead of W101, get Sin & Punishment 2, that's actually a good Wiimote action game.

Speaking of Nintendo, I finally gave Zelda 2 a proper chance on NES Mini. Once the battle system clicks, it has actually the best combat of the entire series, great game. :rejoice

Zelda 2 combat is awesome but Bayonetta sucks.  OK bruh.  :doge
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2018, 09:40:50 AM »
:miyamoto Zelda 2 is skill based and appropriately hard, while Bayonetta 1 has a ranking system doesn't reflect how well you do in combat, but only how well you remember where the goddamned QTEs and other annoying mechanics outside the battles are.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 10:08:44 AM by Spieler1 »

kingv

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 11:04:14 AM »
Bayo1 alongside Wonderful 101 is probably the worst Kamiya game, because outside the battle system all the level design sucks. It's filled with horrendous trial & error and crap shooting sections, which was thankfully all removed in 2.

I like Bayo1, but agree that
1) too many of the leve have big problems, like that one where you are on a road and can fall off the damn trucks.
2) I really don’t like any of the sega arcade levels. I think they’re all bad.

The game is still a favorite of mine, I just think it’s a flawed gem.

Wonderful 101 is one of those games that was overhyped on GAF. It’s charming and it tries new things with controls but it has a lot of the problems Bayonetta 1 has but is not as solid underneath. Like Bayo1, however, the final boss fight is really good and almost makes the whole game worth it regardless of the rest.

Himu

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2018, 11:53:13 AM »
Tasty, was not a big fan of the Wii and waggle controls of any kind- the only exception was RE4, and its pointer controls actually made everything too easy.  :lol  Most of the Wii games I spent time with were the ones that had full classic controller support.

Bayo1 alongside Wonderful 101 is probably the worst Kamiya game
And Bayonetta 1 is eh.
:trigger  :ltg :cornette :rogan :whatisthis :foodcourt :samoa :stop

I thought this was about giving games multiple chances "till you get it" though!
:heyman

Himu, at least tell me that you didn't play Bayo on PS3.  That's the shitty, awful-outsourced-Sega-port-job-not-done-by-Platinum version.

That reminds me...I need to try The Wonderful 101.  It's one of the last remaining Wii U only games I'd like to play.

I said that about bayo because it was on topic and people were talking about it. The love for Bayo 1 is beyond me.

I did play it on ps3 and I’m not sure why it matters. It just had bad graphics.
IYKYK

Himu

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »
:miyamoto Zelda 2 is skill based and appropriately hard, while Bayonetta 1 has a ranking system doesn't reflect how well you do in combat, but only how well you remember where the goddamned QTEs and other annoying mechanics outside the battles are.

:thinking

Help me appreciate Zelda 2. I’ve tried and failed.
IYKYK

paprikastaude

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2018, 12:35:43 PM »

:thinking

Help me appreciate Zelda 2. I’ve tried and failed.

I can only say that for me the problem was trying to spam attacks on more complex enemies like soldiers with shields and then the results (even "wins") feeling more random than anything. But in reality the enemies have solutions that you need to figure out beyond hitting up or below. Like for some enemies it's much preferable to slide into with the down attack, or specifically jump-slash forward into the head, etc.

Himu

« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2018, 12:46:18 PM »
Yeah I just randomly hitting them and it’s :yeshrug
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2018, 08:09:29 PM »

I merely feel sorry for you. You just don't know what you're missing.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2018, 09:16:54 PM »

I said that about bayo because it was on topic and people were talking about it. The love for Bayo 1 is beyond me.

I did play it on ps3 and I’m not sure why it matters. It just had bad graphics.

:dead

That matters quite a bit!   The PS3 port of the game is an abomination.  It's not just that the graphics are worse...it runs like shit.

Look at this comparison video:
http://videos.eurogamer.net/2232d1f57cd5f5090a7ca35f224579ba/5be63eaf/bayosync-hd_stream_h264v2_hd.mp4

The PS3 version runs at half the framerate in places here, dipping down into the teens at times.  I couldn't imagine playing it like this.

This thread is about giving games multiple chances, no?  You gotta give this another try.  It's great on 360, PC, Wii U, or Switch.  Just stay far, far away from it on PS3!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:27:13 PM by bork »
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2018, 09:28:29 PM »
Ok
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2018, 09:33:26 PM »
 :-\
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2018, 09:41:03 PM »
What, I’m serious. Will give bayo another shot on Switch. I just don’t remember the combat or gameplay situations ever being remotely in the same league as DMC or NG. I also didn’t like how the game gives you so many moves and weapons off the bat. DMC and NG are great because they build up and require you to slowly master new weapons and new moves. There’s a sense of progress. And then here’s Bayonetta giving you so many moves at the outset. It doesn’t feel fulfilling to me. And then there’s shooting missions and other stuff. I really didn’t like it. It’s an another example an overrated game because people’s standards lowered last gen. My opinion. But I’ll give it another shot to see if I’m wrong.
IYKYK

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2018, 09:47:39 PM »
 :respect
ど助平

Himu

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2018, 09:48:37 PM »
I’ll be honest. Outside of RE2 and DMC1 I don’t like Kamiya’s games. I thought Viewfiful Joe was overrated, Okami was a bad Zelda wannabe with awful handholding whose only saving grace were visuals and narrative, Bayonetta isn’t that good, and apparently W101 sucks. I’m more of a Mikami girl.
IYKYK

Beezy

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2018, 10:05:05 PM »
Killer 7. Bought it at launch and the controls made absolutely no sense to me the first night I played. I went to bed upset that I wasted my money, but gave it another shot the following day. This time everything just felt right. It'll forever be a fav of mine.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2018, 12:20:46 AM »
I’ll be honest. Outside of RE2 and DMC1 I don’t like Kamiya’s games. I thought Viewfiful Joe was overrated, Okami was a bad Zelda wannabe with awful handholding whose only saving grace were visuals and narrative, Bayonetta isn’t that good, and apparently W101 sucks. I’m more of a Mikami girl.

Never played Okami.  VJ was too damn hard.  Loved RE2 and DMC1- Bayonetta is up there with those.  I loved playing through it.
ど助平