Author Topic: How Bill Gates Aims to Save $233 Billion by Reinventing the Toilet  (Read 1009 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-06/bill-gates-aims-to-save-233-billion-by-reinventing-the-toilet

The billionaire philanthropist, whose Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation spent $200 million over seven years funding sanitation research, showcased some 20 novel toilet and sludge-processing designs that eliminate harmful pathogens and convert bodily waste into clean water and fertilizer.

“The technologies you’ll see here are the most significant advances in sanitation in nearly 200 years,” Gates, 63, told the Reinvented Toilet Expo in Beijing on Tuesday.

Holding a beaker of human excreta that, Gates said, contained as many as 200 trillion rotavirus cells, 20 billion Shigella bacteria, and 100,000 parasitic worm eggs

:phil

“I never imagined that I’d know so much about poop,” Gates said in remarks prepared for the Beijing event. “And I definitely never thought that Melinda would have to tell me to stop talking about toilets and fecal sludge at the dinner table.”

:drool

benjipwns

Re: How Bill Gates Aims to Save $233 Billion by Reinventing the Toilet
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 04:14:38 AM »
“Innovative companies have a golden opportunity to do well by doing good,” LIXIL President Kinya Seto said in a statement. “We can help jump-start a new era of safe sanitation for the 21st century by developing solutions that can leapfrog today’s existing infrastructure, functioning anywhere and everywhere.”
:teehee

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 07:20:04 AM »
More like Bill Scates AMIRITE.

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 10:50:40 AM »
But is it going to be like one of those Japanese squat toilets? Because the planet can die for all I care, I'm not using one of those things.
dog

benjipwns

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 11:01:05 AM »
showcased some 20 novel toilet designs

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 12:07:45 PM »
“I never imagined that I’d know so much about poop,” Gates said in remarks prepared for the Beijing event. “

I dunno, your company approved the Xbox One marketing plan!
^_^

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2018, 05:20:41 PM »
But is it going to be like one of those Japanese squat toilets? Because the planet can die for all I care, I'm not using one of those things.

The squatters are becoming quite uncommon. I've only ever used them in dire emergencies and it has always been some Buster Keaton level antics trying to manage the affair.

It's weird that those toilets exist at all, alongside the other magnificently high tech toilets that have warmed seats, vibrating bidets, and even blow-drying built-in to them.

The future of toilets is here in Japan, it's just not evenly distributed.

naff

• someday you feed on a tree frog
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 05:01:52 PM »
i imagine squat toilets being pretty dope once you get used to them. naturally spread yo cheeks for clean poop dispersal. i used one as a kid in singapore and it kinda freaked me out a lil, like i was going to fall backwards or shit on myself. i've only ever used awesome future toilets in Japan.
◕‿◕