Author Topic: Next gen delayed till 2020  (Read 6296 times)

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Next gen delayed till 2020
« on: November 10, 2018, 07:20:31 PM »
You read it here first folks. No new Xbox or PS5 next year. It's all shelved untill 2020 at the earliest.

Don't say I never gave you any scoops :nintendo
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Re: Next gen delayed till 2020
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 07:55:05 PM »
ok
dog

Himu

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 08:00:37 PM »
Who wants next gen anyways? I think most people are fine with this gen.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 08:01:13 PM »
I'm OK with coasting on Switch revisions until 2024.

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »
i'm barely getting into 4K now so no rush

Himu

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2018, 08:02:15 PM »
Yeah like, 2023 or 24? Ok. Who cares until then?
IYKYK

Trent Dole

• the sharpest tool in the shed
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 08:07:15 PM »
PS360 gen lasted longer than normal, I'd not be surprised if this one goes just as long or more considering they both did mid gen hardware revisions/upgrades.

I'm OK with coasting on Switch revisions until 2024.

Switch launched at a weird time of mid/late gen compared to the other two machines. Nintendo is 'doing their own thing' more than ever I suppose.
Hi

paprikastaude

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2018, 08:29:24 PM »
I was surprised that PS4 is only at 80 something million sold currently. Not sure what the point of next gen is before it even hits an easy 100 mill. Also, this gen is actually quite old, but it doesn't feel old, because it was redundant trash until like 2015 when Bloodborne came out and things like Nier 2 started to get announced.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:33:41 PM by Spieler1 »

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »
Dunno if I'd say "awful" but I do remember the first few years not having much that was specific to the next-gen platforms and we got a lot of games still coming out on the PS3 and Xbox 360 and I could have done just fine without a PS4 for a while and played virtually everything on PC/PS3/Vita.
ど助平

Tasty

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 09:25:31 PM »
Normally I'd be worried about Nintendo launching an all-new, non-backwards compatible platform too soon, buuuut.... their switch to ARM may mean we get either full or partial hardware BC for free in every Nintendo system for the next two+ decades. Like I'm imagining the situation where every new generation of GameBoy and DS could play the previous version, but even better... considering games are digital now, there's no reason system transferring forward to new generations of Switches (with better specs, etc.) shouldn't allow us to keep our Switch libraries indefinitely.

But I get ahead of myself sometimes.

Svejk

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2018, 09:28:12 PM »
Switch has it's claws fully embedded in last gen still anyway.  :doge  Nintendo's trying to moonwalk into next gen.   But overall, it feels like it's finally hit cruising altitude... it's still going good, IMO.  My wallet can't handle something new next year already anyway.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2018, 09:49:15 PM »
Normally I'd be worried about Nintendo launching an all-new, non-backwards compatible platform too soon, buuuut.... their switch to ARM may mean we get either full or partial hardware BC for free in every Nintendo system for the next two+ decades. Like I'm imagining the situation where every new generation of GameBoy and DS could play the previous version, but even better... considering games are digital now, there's no reason system transferring forward to new generations of Switches (with better specs, etc.) shouldn't allow us to keep our Switch libraries indefinitely.

Lol that makes sense and is great... and is why Xbox pretty much does that... but Nintendo. Nintendo wants you to buy EVERYTHING again. You know this

Tasty

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2018, 09:57:05 PM »

Lol that makes sense and is great... and is why Xbox pretty much does that... but Nintendo. Nintendo wants you to buy EVERYTHING again. You know this

Yup lol, hence my last sentence. :P

seagrams hotsauce

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 10:01:38 PM »
lol how do you delay something that isn't announced? you're a dolt

Himu

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2018, 10:12:32 PM »
Speaking of next gen...

Remember last gen when console makers were dead pressed on making it hard for users to play used games? And now years later, software developers don't talk about the used games are hurting us spiel? Funny how that disappeared so quickly, eh? :doge
IYKYK

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2018, 10:18:08 PM »
Is that the year the Infinium Labs Phantom finally gets released, with it's revolutionary new lapboard?

©@©™

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2018, 10:48:24 PM »
Speaking of next gen...

Remember last gen when console makers were dead pressed on making it hard for users to play used games? And now years later, software developers don't talk about the used games are hurting us spiel? Funny how that disappeared so quickly, eh? :doge

The growth of digital sales and even more DLC/microtransactions probably explains it. Still funny though- I forgot all about this.  They were doing shit like online passes to enable functionality on PSN.  :lol  :-\
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 12:22:26 AM »
I think GameStop has lost their way on used pricing and the digital platforms are beating them on it.

They are often slower to lower prices than Xbox live or PSN.

kingv

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2018, 12:46:30 AM »
I also wonder if “death from used games” is really just a misreading of trends that happened during the recession and the slow recovery and the end of the generation

- people un/underemployed
+ more price conscious
+ late adopters are probably more cost conscious
+ probably late adopters have lower attach rates.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2018, 02:44:10 AM »
I was surprised that PS4 is only at 80 something million sold currently. Not sure what the point of next gen is before it even hits an easy 100 mill. Also, this gen is actually quite old, but it doesn't feel old, because it was redundant trash until like 2015 when Bloodborne came out and things like Nier 2 started to get announced.

... only? It's tracking between the PS2 and the Wii, I think.

Olivia Wilde Homo

• Proud Kinkshamer
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 06:58:27 PM »
I think some people forget how many developers and publishers lost their asses last generation.  I'm sure used games caused more than a few to close up shop but presumably many of them wouldn't be able to handle the even larger budgets that this generation requires.  So it was either shutting down in 2010 or 2015, I suppose.
🍆🍆

Tasty

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2018, 05:44:11 PM »
I told you folks.

Pay no attention to the PS5 LinkedIn / Devkits going out etc. .
Next Xbox devkit should land on developers' desks somewhere between before Christmas 2018 and GDC 2019 but nothing ships until 2020.

The Bore knew 5 days before Press Sneak Fuck. You're welcome  8)
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2018, 05:45:17 PM »
Man to me it feels way to early for another gen... Feels like PS360 went on much longer.

Thankfully Nintendo does do its own thing and I don't have to worry about them doing much for a while.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »
Man to me it feels way to early for another gen... Feels like PS360 went on much longer.

Thankfully Nintendo does do its own thing and I don't have to worry about them doing much for a while.
It has something to do with the start of this gen being a complete trainwreck. I remember getting an Xbox One with Destiny, which was a big letdown.
The resolution barely hit 720p for most games, so what was the point anyway. Then the LOTR game was pretty good and Forza Horizon and that was it basically as everything else like MGS5 could be played on PC.
Most sequels (Forza Motorsport/Halo 5 etc.) were pretty lackluster and projects like Quantum Break and Ryse while cool, didn't set the world on fire. On the third party end there was EA turning Star Wars into a mediocre shooting gallery and a pile of remasters.

Just as Xbox sucked so did the Wii U. PS4 was probably the best 'next gen' console until Microsoft launched the Xbox One X. Which is actually all the Xbox One promised to be and more.
And now from 2016 forward we're finally seeing the 'real' impressive stuff beyond the yearly COD's like Red Dead Redemption 2 and the big releases of this gen (Overwatch, Battle Royale stuff). Plus games like the Halo Collection finally work.
🤴

Tasty

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2018, 06:04:14 PM »
Yeah, in everyone's opinion, what was the killer app of this gen? :thinking

PS360 had dozens of standouts lauded by the press. I can't recall nearly as many for PS4/XO.

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2018, 06:06:00 PM »
I'm super content with the PS4, I don't need anything new for quite some time.
野球

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2018, 06:12:45 PM »

PS360 had dozens of standouts lauded by the press. I can't recall nearly as many for PS4/XO.
I think the 'Open world' game or 'Battle Royale' game, which is also sort of open world.

Anyway, I'd say Breath of the Wild or Witcher 3 are contendors. I haven't played RDR2 yet but that would probably go on the list as well.
One of my personal favorites if Nier Automata, again open world but hardly a killer app.

The killer app would be Fortnite. It's bigger than most online services even.
🤴

Rahxephon91

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2018, 07:05:13 PM »
Killer apps this gen?

I mean...

Witcher 3
BloodBorne
Spiderman
God of War
Forza Horizon 3
Rainbow Six Seige
Red Dead 2
Uncharted 4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Persona 5
Nier Automata 2
Doom
Titanfall 2
Tekken 7
Yakuza 0
NiOh
Resident Evil 7
Overwatch
Monster Hunter World
Final Fantasy XV
Dragon Quest XI
Dark Souls 3
Until Dawn
Life is Strange+Plus other indie games I don’t play of which I’m sure there’s tons.
Like The Bannet Saga
Ubisoft Shit that people like.
Tons of quality ports like .hack//GU, MCC*, Capcom’s stuff,
Batman Arkham Knight(somebody liked it, great production values though)

And If I want to add my own personal choices:
Quantum Break
Valkyria Chronicles 4
Gravity Rush 2
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Evil Within 2
YS VIII
Call of Duty Infinite Warfare
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare
Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age
Odin Sphere Leftharaiser
Shadow of The Colossus Remake
Team Yakuza Shit
Tales of Besria
Grand Kingdom
Wolfenstien 2
Uncharted Lost Legacy

I don't know there were plenty of great games this gen for me. Plenty of great Japanese titles. I don't have to dirty myself with NIS or Idea Factory games this gen either for jrpgs.

This gen has been great and 2019 looks just as good.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:26:01 PM by Rahxephon91 »

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2018, 07:14:01 PM »

MGSV, BOTW, and Splatoon 2 :rejoice Also me finally realizing Yakuza is good :lawd

Plus the future unquestioned game of the generation, Shenmue 3 :playa

Himu

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2018, 07:14:43 PM »
Shenmue III is going to suck but at least it'll be a thing. Just get it over with.
IYKYK

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »
:ufup

Add in Smash as well. Rahx's list is basically all the highlights, just no Nintendo

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2018, 08:30:37 PM »
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tyranny
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Cities: Skylines
Stardew Valley
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Super Mario Odyssey
Dishonored 2
Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Dying Light
Fallout 4
dog

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2018, 10:53:11 PM »
Shenmue III is going to suck but at least it'll be a thing. Just get it over with.

On topic, the only things that really qualify for "killer app" this gen are Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild. Y'all are just big f'n nerds (I am too!) and love playing games all the time but those are the big ones. Everything else was either meh to just good.
yar

Trent Dole

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 02:12:58 AM »
Mighty Shenmue No. 9 :trumps
Bloodstained also in perpetually delayed hell. Maybe 2019 will be our year for disappointment via long awaited ip revivals. :rejoice
Hi

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 07:29:04 AM »
Well, at least with Bloodstained we got the great Curse of the Moon out of it, so even if the actual game turns out to be poop I won't be too miffed.
^_^

paprikastaude

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2018, 07:43:29 AM »
lol last gen was trash, except for Nintendo DS channeling PS1 for a while (at least for Japanese games). This one since like Bloodborne-year is finally slowly going back to pre-HD variety.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:50:58 AM by Spieler1 »

Svejk

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2018, 07:59:26 AM »
I had more fun with the 30 minute Bloodstained beta than I did with the first 5-6 hours of Hollow Knight. 

BUHLEE IN IGA
 :bolo

paprikastaude

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2018, 08:07:53 AM »
 :heartbeat Bloodborne, Yakuza 0, MGSV, RE7, Cuphead, Sonic Mania, MH World, Doom, FF12 fixed edition, Crash remakes, SotC remake, Bayo 2, Mario Kart 8

:mouf  Sekiro, DMC5, RE2imagining, Doom reboot 2

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2018, 08:20:21 AM »
This gen isn't close to being done yet and there's plenty to look forward to.  I hope that the next console cycle doesn't happen until late 2020 at the earliest, but I'm not going to jump in right away unless there's some big "killer app" game, that I just have to have, that's also not on PC or PS4.  I see rumors that games like The Last Of Us 2, Death Stranding, and an enhanced Red Dead Redemption 2 are going to be PS5 launch titles, for example.  If the first two are on both PS4 and PS5...I don't care.  And LOL if Sony moves them to the PS5, too.  Can't say I'd buy a console for those anyway.
ど助平

kingv

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2018, 10:47:44 AM »
I learned that from this gen. The first year just isn’t worth it. I was playing 360 and Wii U games for most of 2014.

It’s a good time to upgrade your pc instead.

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2018, 02:15:04 PM »
I got two licensed Super Robot Wars games localized in English. Those are my killer apps.
野球

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2018, 07:29:54 PM »
In the wake of the news that Sony will not be attending E3 next year, Microsoft’s hardware plans for 2019 will likely be a huge win for the brand and for gamers. The company is planning to release an updated console next year, but this device will not be in the Scarlett family, according to people familiar with the company’s plans.

The Scarlett devices are Microsoft’s next-gen consoles and are not expected until 2020 but in 2019, the company is planning to release a disc-less console. And if this is making you nervous because you have a large collection of physical discs for your current Xbox, Microsoft has you covered.

In addition to the new console, there will be a ‘disc-to-digital’ program that, as the name states, turns your physical games into digital downloads. The idea is that you can take your disc to a participating retailer (like the Microsoft store) and trade in your disc for a digital download.

The goal with the new console is to lower the price point for the hardware.
In addition, the company also has a revised Xbox One S SKU that is targeted for later in the year that focuses solely on cost reduction but does feature a disc-drive for those who still prefer the traditional way to buy your games. Microsoft is moving forward very carefully with this product as it knows that a sizeable portion of its users do prefer to buy physical games and not download them.

As for Scarlett, Microsoft is still trying to decide if that console will include a disc drive but should be making the final decision here shortly.
Nintex News annihilating the haters.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
🤴

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 08:09:48 AM »
Isnt the rumour xbox gamepass for switch?

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2019, 08:13:04 AM »
PS4 is easily my worst purchase in console history and the only one bought specifically for one game only (Bloodborne).

Games I own on PS4:

- Bloodborne - paid $290 for that (PS4 + game)
- The Witcher 3
- Uncharted 4
- Nioh
- Dragon Quest XI
- some indie puzzle game from PSN Store (PS4 exclusive) --> Art of Balance

That's it. Three exclusive titles. 6 games total. TLOU2 is the only other game I am planning to buy on PS4.

Meanwhile I have 20+ Xbox One games (only 2 exclusives: Halo and Gears).

So do I really want to buy PS5? Not without an exclusive FROM SOFTWARE game, no. I won't.

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Bloodborne 2 FROM SOFT!

Your post doesnt even mkae sense B.

You have 3 exclusives for PS4 and only 1 for Xbox and the PS is the bad purchase?  :lol Not playstations fault you bought a bunch of inferior multiplats for xbox one

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2019, 10:11:14 AM »
It doesn't make sense because MY PS4 IS DEAD.

I bought:

- God of War
- Mass Effect 4
- Horizon
- RDR 2

And after that PS4 went kaputt :(

I guess karma really is a bitch, heh.

Not buying it again even for $100. Waiting for PS5 with full, disc based BC. Hopefully my XBone makes it through Sekiro, yikes...

Get it repaired...?

:huh
ど助平

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2019, 10:13:06 AM »

That's separate.  The next-gen MS console rumor also says that Microsoft wants to eliminate console generations and will release the same games for Xbone One, their new console, and PC.
ど助平

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2019, 12:05:52 PM »
Whew if the rumours about the two sku are true. MS must have gotten rustled real bad when Sony released a more powerful console this gen for a cheaper price.

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2019, 03:22:54 PM »
Only rumor I care about rn is new switch model tbh

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2019, 04:08:47 PM »
Only rumor I care about rn is new switch model tbh
If it's portable only tho... :yuck

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2019, 04:25:09 PM »
I’d be down with portable only if all the controllers still work

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2019, 04:55:38 PM »
I'm perfectly content with the PS4. Just keep making games and I'll buy them.
野球

Occam

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2019, 05:44:17 PM »
PS4 (Pro) is the first time I feel a console is actually good enough and I don't have a strong urge to buy new hardware at this time. Nonetheless, I will purchase a PS5 at launch if it has BC; it makes no sense to wait 1-2 years just to save 100 bucks, and there is no way around owning one sooner or later anyway.
By the way, at least for me this generation's killer app is PSVR.

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2019, 05:55:54 PM »

That's separate.  The next-gen MS console rumor also says that Microsoft wants to eliminate console generations and will release the same games for Xbone One, their new console, and PC.

But not on Steam. :tocry :gaben

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2019, 08:49:27 PM »
I'm perfectly content with PS4 but if PS5 has backwards compatibility from PS1 onwards (even more if it's region free for PS1/2), that would be fantastic.
^_^

Trent Dole

« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2019, 09:16:31 PM »
MS gamestore is like built into current windows though, you already have it. :doge
Hi

paprikastaude

« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2019, 01:06:59 AM »
I'm perfectly content with PS4 but if PS5 has backwards compatibility from PS1 onwards (even more if it's region free for PS1/2), that would be fantastic.

Don't think Sony currently would give a shit about that. Admittedly though BC with 4 alone would probably make me upgrade, just so I can leave that noisy shit hardware behind and keep playing PS4 games in pro mode.

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2019, 12:08:47 PM »

That would be the best thing ever but I doubt that would ever happen.
野球

Himu

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2019, 04:31:36 PM »
I might skip next console gen besides Nintendo unless backward compat is a thing on the next PlayStation.
IYKYK