Author Topic: Gaming Sound setups for headphones  (Read 689 times)

kingv

Gaming Sound setups for headphones
« on: November 12, 2018, 06:00:45 PM »
I’m looking for recommendations on an external DAC for my PS4.

Anyone use anything good?

I have a Astro Mixamo that I use on the Xbone that I like pretty well even though all the recviews seem to say it sucks. It has a warmer fuller crisper sound than what you get straight from the controller.

But I don’t want to switch the cables all the damn time.

I also have a sound blaster GX5 which I use on PC, however, whatever default settings it uses on consoles just suck ass to me. It sounds really harsh and grating.

I also have a hyperx Cloud II USB dac that came with the headphones but IMO it doesn’t really do that much on PC, so not expecting much on ps4, if it even works (and if I can even find it).

Anyone else have other recommendations? Getting tired of the sound dropping out from the controller.

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
Re: Gaming Sound setups for headphones
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »
I can't give any good advice on headphones with built-in mics, BUT I run optical --> Turtle Beach Ear Force X41 unit (just the base unit I bought out of a junk bin) --> Sennheiser HD650s. It's basically a headphone amp that does Dolby Headphone conversion (which sounds considerably better than plugging it into a PS4 controller).

kingv

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 03:54:27 PM »
I think I’m set on keeping with the hyperX Cloud headphones. I have been pretty happy with them over the years.

I used to have a turtle beach headset but it was shit and didn’t hold up.

I may just buy another mixamp. I saw one on eBay that looked like it had been smuggled across the iron curtain in a man’s anus, but was only like $30.

I try to look at head-fi occasionally and it looks like they are often recommending like Schiit something or another of Fiio something else. None of those seem to do Dolby D though.

TEEEPO

• hi, i suck
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 04:10:55 PM »
i really need to figure out a better setup for my psvr

hooking my iems directly into the vr headset isn't doing tetris effect, thumper and rez any favors.