Author Topic: Are we ever going to get out of the cynicism hole we've been in for 25+ years?  (Read 4321 times)

aiii

I'm so tired of it. Everything is full of tragic backstories, unhappy or bittersweet endings, neurotic characters struggling with basic human functions. Companies openly cash grab and people suck it up and love it because they use memes on social media. Big tech companies openly spy and use your information, and people openly and happily give it to them. We're ostensibly more connected than ever, yet alienation and disconnect is reported across the board of all age and tax brackets. There's no faith in any government anywhere in the world. You can't even consume media for children without running into these issues. The idea of happy media is treated as trying to hide something at best, lying at worst. 50% of modern television seems to be blatant and open exploitation of human misery and people eat it up.

Would we have pulled out of it had 9/11 and the Bush years not happened? Because we were already in this hole pre-9/11. Could it ultimately be the inevitable crash after the euphoria of the end of the Cold War? Is the world still adjusting to that paradigm change, and if so, how long is that going to take?

I'm so tired of this shit :stahp

shosta

• Y = λ𝑓. (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥)) (λ𝑥. 𝑓 (𝑥 𝑥))
the problem is capitalism. the answer is revolution
每天生气

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
I dunno, for me it feels like we're finally getting out of this "shit" in the west after 17 years.

Some good vibes to cheer you up friend  :heart
🤴

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Earth, by Rockstar games.

Seriously though, limiting your media consumption will do wonders for your outlook and general mood. Social media especially is just one giant trashfire, so flee if you're on any.

shosta

encouraging people to stop engaging with the news is placation that leaves the status quo uncontested
每天生气

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Stick to news agency tickers if (like me), you just can't be without any news. Local news can be fine, too, though maybe not in the US?

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment
I haven't stopped engaging exactly, but I've been trying to cut down on reading news articles, Twitter, etc. in favor of reading more books on history or sociology, or more longform magazines like n+1, etc. Stuff that helps me step back a bit and get a deeper perspective.
QED

shosta

Local news can be fine, too, though maybe not in the US?
vast majority of local news is compromised in the US by right wing agitators
每天生气

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
Things have been shit forever. Slavery, child prostitution, genocide, famine etc. have been around forever but the trends are actually slowing down. Technology is advancing; people are living longer, we get to connect with people across the world, and memes is pretty good nowadays. If you think things are bad, maybe get off the internet for a couple days.

shosta

increase in productivity due to new technologies has been exponential but wages have been stagnant or declining for 50 years
the earth will be unrecognizable in 100 years due to rapid and uncontested climate change
something is decreasing human sperm counts so much that "sperm count zero" has become an existential threat
spoiler (click to show/hide)
meme culture is inferior to the creativity of the longform text format of internet message boards
[close]
每天生气

EightBitNate

• I don’t wanna be horny anymore, I wanna be happy
Well tbh I can barely remember what the 90s were like but is there any way of knowing things were different unless you were old enough to experience it? I imagine you’d have to be at least 40ish to really have a handle on what life was like before the 2000s. I imagine most people who contribute narcissism to this post-9/11 era just happened to have childhoods that ended at this time. As you get older your attitude turns to shit no matter what eta you live in.

Life is only what you make it though.

shosta

people feel alienated despite being the most connected in history
changes in culture that ultimately encourage people to isolate themselves and leave their communities have doubled the amount of people who feel lonely since the 70s
每天生气

seagrams hotsauce

how do you think shit was before? medicine used just be leeches and people would make christians fight lions for fun. check out Joe Pera Talks With You, wholesome, relaxing stuff. maybe some Mike Schur sitcoms too, which are goofy but charming and largely devoid of cynicism

nachobro

• Live Más
by digitally murdering annoying jerks on the bore i'm doing my part

Madrun Badrun

• twin-anused mascot
No and its going to get a lot worse. 

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
i was in ur mum's cynicism hole last night
©@©™

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
neither do I, the lights were off
©@©™

BIONIC

• Virgo. Live Music. The Office. Tacos. Fur mom. True crime junkie. INTJ.
Plot twist: it was Rumbler’s cynicism hole.

#ReleaseTheTapes

#Basta
Margs

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Just watch some anime and smoke a blunt, breh.
dog

Himu

What's there to be positive about exactly? Life sucks. Gather round and drink some booze.
IYKYK

Uncle

• Have You Ever
Things have been shit forever. Slavery, child prostitution, genocide, famine etc. have been around forever but the trends are actually slowing down. Technology is advancing; people are living longer, we get to connect with people across the world, and memes is pretty good nowadays. If you think things are bad, maybe get off the internet for a couple days.

No that's what I'm getting at. By any measurable standard, this is the best time to ever be alive for basically the entire world. Yet that's not reflected in any media, people don't go about their days happy about shit, everyone seems to be miserable everywhere you go, people feel alienated despite being the most connected in history. When are we going to get over this shit dawg.

The problem is twofold

First we are at a point in human history where it's less acceptable to attack each other, physically or otherwise, even though it seems like something everyone is wired to do to some extent

And second, displaying happiness/contentment is treated as an admission that you have no reason to antagonize anyone else, and that you are an open target for someone else's antagonism, even if that's just "why should he get to be happy"

If you consider yourself wronged in some way and can dwell on that then it gives you some righteous fury to be able to take out your aggression on someone else, in an age where you normally can't do that anymore

You have to build a narrative in order to give yourself permission

It's like old school writing the Pope to get casus belli, now people get that belli on twitter

But the display is real important, you have to walk around everywhere with your head down muttering and shaking your fist
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:56:55 PM by Uncle »
Uncle

Nabbis

• oops
I dunno, i feel pretty great tbh.

VomKriege

• Do the moron
*Lights another cigarette with an expression of ennui on his face*
Non.
ὕβρις

toku

• 𝕩𝕩𝕩
Do your part and we can.

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
*Lights another cigarette with an expression of ennui on his face*
Non.

+1

recursivelyenumerable

• you might think that; I couldn't possibly comment

No that's what I'm getting at. By any measurable standard, this is the best time to ever be alive for basically the entire world. Yet that's not reflected in any media, people don't go about their days happy about shit, everyone seems to be miserable everywhere you go, people feel alienated despite being the most connected in history. When are we going to get over this shit dawg.

The problem is twofold

First we are at a point in human history where it's less acceptable to attack each other, physically or otherwise, even though it seems like something everyone is wired to do to some extent

And second, displaying happiness/contentment is treated as an admission that you have no reason to antagonize anyone else, and that you are an open target for someone else's antagonism, even if that's just "why should he get to be happy"

If you consider yourself wronged in some way and can dwell on that then it gives you some righteous fury to be able to take out your aggression on someone else, in an age where you normally can't do that anymore

You have to build a narrative in order to give yourself permission

It's like old school writing the Pope to get casus belli, now people get that belli on twitter

But the display is real important, you have to walk around everywhere with your head down muttering and shaking your fist

I'm not sure I agree with this but it's amusing to think about people holding their head down to charge their belli narrative fury meter till it's full and they can bust out a righteous aggression super move, so good job providing me with amusement
QED

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
Let's have the biggest Borecon ever next year.  Hug it out, resolve our differences, plot murders, do drugs..
I wish, but I have so little interest in coming to the states :(

shosta

BoreCon 2019 is in Tokyo
每天生气

curly

• cultural maoist
Speaking about culture specifically I think it's been generally trending towards cynicism since like the 60s. At one point it probably felt refreshing to rebel against the trite optimism of the prevailing culture but then it became the new default and got just as tiresome as what it replaced.

Doubt it'll change while we're still living in #latestagecapitalism.

I haven't stopped engaging exactly, but I've been trying to cut down on reading news articles, Twitter, etc. in favor of reading more books on history or sociology, or more longform magazines like n+1, etc. Stuff that helps me step back a bit and get a deeper perspective.

Makes me think of something that I read about Twitter, that it operates like a giant depressed brain. It's unable to properly digest signals and react proportionately, it catastrophizes minor problems, and regurgitates and amplifies distorted thoughts.

curly

• cultural maoist
Also increasing media saturation---->increasing cynicism

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
What's there to be positive about exactly? Life sucks. Gather round and drink some booze.

ItIsKnown.gif

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
Hahaha, brehs... humanity is trash. Just accept it. We're gonna end up in a Mad Max movie, not a Star Trek movie.
yar

Cerveza mas fina

• I don't care for Islam tbqh
  • filler
Earth, by Rockstar games.

Seriously though, limiting your media consumption will do wonders for your outlook and general mood. Social media especially is just one giant trashfire, so flee if you're on any.

Pretty valid point, less media consumptiom

Transhuman

• youtu.be/KCVCmGPgJS0

ToxicAdam

• captain of my capsized ship
Sounds like someone is ready to form a cult out in the desert.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
Read some history books to put things into perspective.

Right now I'm reading up on the late 1800's. The Crimean Wars, the Opium Wars all sorts of meaningless 'wars' and random genocides.
Some of which are not very well known as history usually likes to focus on WW1 and 2 and none of the events prior.

Basically the British empire is at war with everyone, Germany is being unified and people are dying everywhere.
Take the opium wars. The Chinese are addicted to Opium so they ask the Brits to stop shipping that shit in. Entire housing blocks are known as "Skeleton cities".
But hey, that's good money so fuck China right.
So the Chinese try to attack the brits to cut off supply and lose and to retaliate the French and Brits besiege Beijing.
The Chinese 'surrender' of sorts and 2 months later the French and Brits return to loot their palaces and burn them to the ground.

At this time there is at least some sort of civility in the world that has only existed until recently.
🤴

shosta

The difference between now and the Opium Wars is, imo, that many countries no longer rebel against their exploitation.
每天生气