Author Topic: R.I.P. E3  (Read 1823 times)

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
R.I.P. E3
« on: November 15, 2018, 05:06:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1063173580358246400

“As the industry evolves, Sony Interactive Entertainment continues to look for inventive opportunities to engage the community,” according to the statement. “PlayStation fans mean the world to us and we always want to innovate, think differently and experiment with new ways to delight gamers. As a result, we have decided not to participate in E3 in 2019. We are exploring new and familiar ways to engage our community in 2019 and can’t wait to share our plans with you.”

If this means they're going to follow Nintendo and do little mini-presentations online throughout the year instead...good.
ど助平

Tasty

Re: R.I.P. E3
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 05:11:20 PM »
If this means they're going to follow Nintendo and do little mini-presentations online throughout the year instead...good.

Vita Heaven 2.0 :rejoice

Rahxephon91

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 05:22:54 PM »
I find the mini presentations to be pretty lame so I’d prefer an actual conference. But maybe they just don’t have anything for 2019 that we don’t already know about.

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 05:23:01 PM »
end of an era.  :'(

Himu

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 05:24:16 PM »
RIP
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 05:46:41 PM »
Remember how much shit Nintendo got for dropping out of E3 half a decade ago

Nabbis

• oops
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »
What a bunch of crap.

Himu

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 05:55:43 PM »
Sony does what Nintendoes. :snob

Looking forward to PS4 being a Switch rip off.
IYKYK

Tasty

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 06:03:38 PM »

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 06:07:30 PM »
The weirdest thing about this, don't know if they'll have a booth even. Nintendo doesn't do a press conference, but they have a booth for their games. There was a point in time where Sony showed their press conference in some theaters.

Even after the fucking dumpster fire of a launch for the Xbone, Microsoft kept showing up. This doesn't make any sense.
OH!

nachobro

• Live Más
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 06:11:17 PM »
Probably too hard for them to follow up this years banger of having some bum with a banjo on stage for like 20 minutes :zzz

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2018, 06:19:04 PM »
https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/1063195210065170432

Sony has to cut corners left and right to make ends meet. Phil can just buy studios on a lazy sunday if he feels like it.
The gaming industry is lucky that Microsoft botched up 2 console launches in a row and got distracted by Kinect for a bit or they would've gobbled up a lot more by now.

Even after the fucking dumpster fire of a launch for the Xbone, Microsoft kept showing up. This doesn't make any sense.
Because $$$

For Sony not renting out a third of a convention center actually saves them a significant sum of money.
Hosting something on Twitch or YouTube is much cheaper and reaches a bigger audience.

This years conference probably wasn't worth the investment.

Microsoft wants to show how rich they are to everyone. So they park a prototype McLaren none of their attendees can afford in their booth.
The production value of the Xbox inside show they did for Forza Horizon 4 (with a real race cut between Forza footage, an estate to film and renting a circuit along with the actual James Bond movie cars) is probably higher than all video content Nintendo and Sony produce in a year combined.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 06:24:53 PM by Nintex »
🤴

mormapope

• WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2018, 06:43:40 PM »
Besides promotion to customers, E3 is typically a networking type of event for a lot of people in the industry. If there isn't a booth, would Sony bother sending anybody to schmooz and shoot the shit with people in the industry?

Like, if Sony copies Nintendo, there's a booth, games, Sony people, but no conference, that's not really a biggy. If no effort is put into E3 at all, it's a missed opportunity that isn't everything but its still important.
OH!

Skullfuckers Anonymous

• Will hunt bullies for fruit baskets. PM for details.
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2018, 07:21:15 PM »
After that shitshow of a conference last year, good riddance.

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have two presentation rooms that required 30 minutes for people to move is an idiot.

Bebpo

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2018, 07:27:53 PM »
That's pretty weird.

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2018, 07:41:03 PM »
Haha, good, fuck E3. Well, other than the Devolver Digital conference, anyway.

SAVE US BASED NINA STRUTHERS
yar

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2018, 07:45:33 PM »
Hooray! Fuck E3

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »
Probably too hard for them to follow up this years banger of having some bum with a banjo on stage for like 20 minutes :zzz

Yeah, after they put everyone to sleep with nogamez.gif they probably feels they can save money to put us to sleep if we tune into twitch.

SAVE US BASED NINA STRUTHERS

Maria is the only reason to watch E3, tbh. Don't @ me.

https://twitter.com/MahriaZook/status/876834401757175809

Himu

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2018, 11:36:45 PM »
Arrogant Sony isn't back until they charge PS5 for 1000 dollars.
IYKYK

eleuin

• perennial loser
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 01:24:56 AM »
think they've realized nobody cares about written game previews from the media, they can put up video walkthroughs and not miss much

Raist

• Winner of the Baited Award 2018
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 01:49:49 AM »
Probably because they have fuck all to show. All their major studios and close partners (like, Insomniac) have either just released something (SSM, GG), or are about to (MM, SP, Bend, ND). And it's probably just a bit too early to talk about PS5 too.

Bebpo

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 02:45:31 AM »
Probably because they have fuck all to show. All their major studios and close partners (like, Insomniac) have either just released something (SSM, GG), or are about to (MM, SP, Bend, ND). And it's probably just a bit too early to talk about PS5 too.

Yeah, I sorta assume it's this.

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2018, 04:27:52 AM »
It's not like their showing this year was worth a shit.

I liked the people getting angry at the white guy playing the japanese flute though.

BisMarckie

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2018, 07:00:12 AM »

Sony has to cut corners left and right to make ends meet. Phil can just buy studios on a lazy sunday if he feels like it.
The gaming industry is lucky that Microsoft botched up 2 console launches in a row and got distracted by Kinect for a bit or they would've gobbled up a lot more by now.

For Sony not renting out a third of a convention center actually saves them a significant sum of money.
Hosting something on Twitch or YouTube is much cheaper and reaches a bigger audience.

This years conference probably wasn't worth the investment.

Microsoft wants to show how rich they are to everyone. So they park a prototype McLaren none of their attendees can afford in their booth.
The production value of the Xbox inside show they did for Forza Horizon 4 (with a real race cut between Forza footage, an estate to film and renting a circuit along with the actual James Bond movie cars) is probably higher than all video content Nintendo and Sony produce in a year combined.

2012 called and wants its console warrior talking points back.
You have clearly no clue what you are talking about, the cost for the E3 stuff is a fucking drop in the bucket.

As a former shareholder: Sony's stock price has more than doubled in the last 5 years. :money

paprikastaude

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2018, 07:59:36 AM »
:fbm
nintendo cheapening out was bad enough. all these smaller events scattered over the year suck on their own without one big happening to look forward to in summer.

Svejk

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2018, 08:08:29 AM »
Wonder how much the VGA's are trying to soak up now...  Since it started, they attempt to ramp it up a good few notches a year.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2018, 08:11:42 AM »
Wonder how much the VGA's are trying to soak up now...  Since it started, they attempt to ramp it up a good few notches a year.

Not an industry trade show so doesn't matter.
ど助平

paprikastaude

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2018, 11:08:49 AM »
Best thing Geoff ever gets is logo reveals or 5 second teasers when he's lucky (plus indies). And there's the whole award thing that no one gives a shit about. Though I'm surprised how heavily Nintendo invested into his cringeshow :lol

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2018, 06:32:09 PM »
Considering how much of the content has been third party and how all the major third parties are doing their own terrible conferences now...Microsoft probably could consider ditching it too once they finally release Crackdown 3.

Sony splitting it up into actual separate locations last year kinda drove that point home how little first party stuff there is to showcase each year. And one of the things was Spider-Man.

benjipwns

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2018, 06:32:41 PM »
Then you remember that each of these conferences costs $775 billion to rent space for, an illegal amount of money.

benjipwns

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 06:34:43 PM »
Actually, now that I think about it, they pretty much don't even announce the consoles at E3, it's a separate event.

thetylerrob

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 06:54:38 PM »
I hope other companies drop out and it's just Microsoft

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2018, 11:58:33 AM »
They lower in another car and drive off into the sunset.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »
They buy E3 and ban Nintendo from attending.
🤴