Author Topic: Switch import games  (Read 1656 times)

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
Switch import games
« on: December 26, 2018, 07:28:00 PM »
I've been thinking about looking into the Switch import scene, but I don't really know what's out there or what would be the best place to buy from. Gimme the deets, my dudes.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
Re: Switch import games
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 07:44:16 PM »
The best way to check stuff out is to make a Japanese eShop account and go browse!

I still buy most imports from Play-Asia and then will pick up some occasionally from Amazon (U.S.!) if I'm in no hurry and they pop up on the store later.

There's not really a whole lot of import-only games out there worth checking out, IMO.  Most of the games I import are physical releases that came out here as digital-only titles.

I have way too many Switch games, but for Japanese-only releases, it's just Dragon Quest Heroes I&II, Musou Orochi 2 Ultimate, and Senran Kagura Peach Ball...and that's it.  The first two games are just ports that came out on other platforms over here and Peach Ball is very likely to get localized next year.  Will probably pick up the Secret Of Mana collection that came out last year at some point, but am in no hurry to buy a Gameboy ROM and two SFC ROMs for fifty-ish.

So I mainly import physical releases of games we don't get retail versions of and will sometimes get stuff imported to play it earlier than 'Murica, since a lot of games released for Switch have multiple languages available.  There's also some games that get released in English that will likely not be released outside of Asia, like Girls Und Panzer DX and DOAX3 Scarlet in a few months.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:48:59 PM by bork »
ど助平

Bebpo

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 07:47:29 PM »
I think the only Switch import I have is Xenoblade 2 for the JP audio. There’s not a big import only scene on any modern system because pretty much everything comes out except Trails of games because they have too much fucking text. Even Super Robot Wars with all the licensing from Hell comes out in English these days.

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 07:50:16 PM »
I think the only Switch import I have is Xenoblade 2 for the JP audio. There’s not a big import only scene on any modern system because pretty much everything comes out except Trails of games because they have too much fucking text. Even Super Robot Wars with all the licensing from Hell comes out in English these days.

Yup.  It's pretty much just the handful of games localized for Southeast Asia-only and a couple of Koei older musou ports that don't come out here and that's about it.  Even the PS4 and Vita import scene is shrinking for me since so little doesn't make it out over here.  Not that I'm complaining!  That's a good thing.

The only "rare" Switch import game I have is the Bayonetta Climax Edition.  The Japanese version is the only way to get Bayo 1 on a cart.  So pretty much a thing that only nutso collector-types like me would care about going after. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 07:55:26 PM by bork »
ど助平

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »
The best way to check stuff out is to make a Japanese eShop account and go browse!

Ah, yeah, I've been meaning to do that and just never got around to it.
dog

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 08:50:43 PM »
How could you possibly need more games after getting a Playstayion Classic?

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 09:00:29 PM »
Why WOULDNT you want more games? Dont be a normie
fat

CatsCatsCats

• 🤷‍♀️
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 09:05:04 PM »
I’m trying to make fun of PlayStation classic   :hmph

Sho Nuff

• o/~ TOUCH ME AND I'LL BREAK YOUR FACE o/~
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 12:48:08 AM »
when I went to Japan last time I was like oh hell yeah I'm going to get a bunch of rad Japan only Switch games on cartridge

I wound up buying 0 rad Japan only Switch games on cartridge and just bought a Vita to replace the one that I accidentally put in the washing machine

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 07:36:48 PM »
when I went to Japan last time I was like oh hell yeah I'm going to get a bunch of rad Japan only Switch games on cartridge

I wound up buying 0 rad Japan only Switch games on cartridge and just bought a Vita to replace the one that I accidentally put in the washing machine

This last trip to Japan was great for my wallet but sucked in terms of buying games. Almost everything gets localized now.
野球

Sho Nuff

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 09:30:12 PM »
Srsly I don't know what there is that's good that's not localized. There's a ton of wacky 3DS games that I would totally buy but Nintendo region locked that hardware so fuck that noise. Maybe the physical version of Okami would be nice or something. I dunno.

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 01:39:10 AM »
3DS is easy to install cfw and region free now
fat

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 02:21:55 PM »
Srsly I don't know what there is that's good that's not localized. There's a ton of wacky 3DS games that I would totally buy but Nintendo region locked that hardware so fuck that noise. Maybe the physical version of Okami would be nice or something. I dunno.

I bought three PS4 games (City Shrouded in Shadow, Power Pro Baseball and A Certain Magical Virtual On), would've bought Fortune Street PS4 but didn't feel like dropping $55 on a used copy.
野球

Sho Nuff

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »
3DS is easy to install cfw and region free now

Have you done it? I got a few steps into https://3ds.hacks.guide/ and was like "I don't think I have enough time to do the rest of this"

demi

• cooler than willco
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 05:15:44 PM »
Nope
fat

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 05:20:24 PM »
Any chance of DOA Xtreme 3 - Scarlet getting a Western release? I'll grab the import of that [probably for Switch] if it doesn't.
dog

bork

• おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 10:49:01 AM »
Any chance of DOA Xtreme 3 - Scarlet getting a Western release? I'll grab the import of that [probably for Switch] if it doesn't.

No western releases are planned AFAIK.  Play-Asia has a pre-order page open for a multi-language Asian version, but hasn't confirmed if that includes English yet.

https://www.play-asia.com/dead-or-alive-xtreme-3-scarlet-multi-language/13/70cf2x
ど助平