Author Topic: Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an online, multiplayer game with a rich co-op  (Read 2656 times)

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me
https://beyondgoodandevil.ubisoft.com/en-us/news/ignt13837-Space-Monkey-Report-#4:-VOD-&-questions-answered!
Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an online, multiplayer game with a rich co-op and seamless experience. As such, the game will only be playable with an internet connection in order to have seamless navigation, receive dynamic updates, and play with friends (which is certainly better when you're playing as a Space Pirate!). The choice to play co-op, however, remains yours to make, so playing BGE2 solo is absolutely possible if you're into that lone Space Pirate kinda thing...

spoiler (click to show/hide)
I just couldn't joke bump the 2011 trailer thread...and definitely not the 2008 one with people celebrating the announcement.  :goty2
[close]

kingv

Re: Beyond Good and Evil 2 is an online, multiplayer game with a rich co-op
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 03:35:32 AM »
Nice! They really nailed this with Starlink.

paprikastaude

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 04:46:56 AM »
:kobeyuck
Seems like there is a singleplayer campaign but it's gonna need online anyway because lol western AAA fuck consumers, even when it's niche games for hardcore nerds.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 06:10:56 AM »
:kobeyuck
Seems like there is a singleplayer campaign but it's gonna need online anyway because lol western AAA fuck consumers, even when it's niche games for hardcore nerds.
They're clearly trying to transition it to something else.
It's really going to be some sort of MMO hybrid like Destiny, Anthem and all of those, i assume.

TBH i'm not surprised, since Ubisoft is big on Coop now (with my great pleasure, i might add).
I wouldn't mind the next Assassin's Creed to be coop like the latest Ghost Recon or Far Cry 5.

It does suck that there isn't an optional offline mode though, as someone with shitty unreliable internet.

BTW The Division is also "totally playable solo" (always online) only every encounter is clearly designed for more than one player, and the respawn system too.
So i expect this to be the same.

paprikastaude

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 06:53:27 AM »
:idont
Even Diablo can manage an offline mode, so there's no excuse for fucking with an existing SP. Monster Hunter does it right too. Apart from me sometimes not being able to comfortably go online, not to mention simply not wanting to have my console online for a more chill experience, who knows how long the servers will even be up for this inevitable flop. Be some years late to the game and maybe don't even get access to it anymore.  ::)
Ancel said he envisions games to be always interconnected between players in the future many years ago already, but I hope at least WiLD will be available offline if it ever stops being vaporware.

Joe Molotov

• I'm much more humble than you would understand.
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 05:50:39 PM »
I'm loving these strong, badass (and only moderately sexualized) character designs.

©@©™

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 07:00:29 PM »
Given the fact that BG&E was a PS2/Xbox/GameCube game that at one point was packaged for free with peanut butter I never expected Ubisoft would sink millions into a singleplayer only sequel after all this time.
This project doesn't seem related at all to the first game with the exception that it takes place in what seems to be the same universe.

Only Nintendo seems crazy enough to release an actual sequel to a game released in 2007 following up on the plot of a spin-off multiplayer Nintendo DS title that had a bare bones singleplayer mode that one played and characters no one cared about.
Just like they did a direct sequel to a 2004 GameCube game that sold less than a couple million units and made it their tentpole next-gen first party title. As well as release a sequel to a mediocre GameCube tech demo.
Which was honestly the reason why I believed the 'Switch exclusive' rumors flying around this game.

Talking about Starlink. That shit flopped hard. It's already 60% off everywhere I look (and I still don't want it at that price).
🤴

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 07:44:20 PM »
Talking about Starlink. That shit flopped hard. It's already 60% off everywhere I look (and I still don't want it at that price).

I have no idea how they thought that releasing a game that requires toys in 2018 was going to be successful. That stuff completely dried up several years ago.
dog

Mr Gilhaney

• Gay and suicidal
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 09:19:10 PM »
Given the fact that BG&E was a PS2/Xbox/GameCube game that at one point was packaged for free with peanut butter I never expected Ubisoft would sink millions into a singleplayer only sequel after all this time.
This project doesn't seem related at all to the first game with the exception that it takes place in what seems to be the same universe.

Only Nintendo seems crazy enough to release an actual sequel to a game released in 2007 following up on the plot of a spin-off multiplayer Nintendo DS title that had a bare bones singleplayer mode that one played and characters no one cared about.
Just like they did a direct sequel to a 2004 GameCube game that sold less than a couple million units and made it their tentpole next-gen first party title. As well as release a sequel to a mediocre GameCube tech demo.
Which was honestly the reason why I believed the 'Switch exclusive' rumors flying around this game.

if only it was peanut butter. it was cheese heads.  :goty2

paprikastaude

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 06:14:22 AM »
ah yes those risky bastards at Nintendo, who after New Super Mario Bros. Wii turned 80% of their portfolio into cheap 2D mascot platformers while killing off the majority of their b-franchises (excluding the animu ones that can be milked through otakus).

e: :lol actually that reminds me of that time when ninderps were all too confident in rumours about :nintendo "saving" BG&E2 from production hell for WiiU/Switch exclusivity - as if Nintendo would pour money into some big scale project from a western AAA publisher, just because they bought two or three weeb projects prior.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 08:39:56 AM by Spieler1 »

kingv

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 09:30:38 AM »

if only it was peanut butter. it was cheese heads.  :goty2

Damn. Not even kraft.

Tasty

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2018, 10:15:52 AM »
:mindblown

Human Snorenado

• Stay out of Malibu, Lebowski
  • Icon
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 10:34:51 AM »
I mean I understand, it's not like in 2018 single player games are doing well or anything.

*checks sales of Dad of War, RDR2, Spider-Man*

Oh
yar

paprikastaude

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 10:42:28 AM »
I mean I understand, it's not like in 2018 single player games are doing well or anything.

Oh

But our marketing says kids only like the gritty things for singleplayer these days, weird and colourful only for multi

*checks sales of Persona 5, Crash Trilogy, Cuphead, Zelda* Oh.

(I don't mind the multiplayer, but the online requirement for something they keep emphazising "you can play alone" on)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 10:46:33 AM by Spieler1 »

Great Rumbler

• Dab on the sinners
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 10:56:38 AM »
Woah, Ubisoft making garbage decisions about their games? I'm shocked!
dog

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 01:44:04 PM »

Oh

But our marketing says kids only like the gritty things for singleplayer these days, weird and colourful only for multi

*checks sales of Persona 5, Crash Trilogy, Cuphead, Zelda* Oh.

(I don't mind the multiplayer, but the online requirement for something they keep emphazising "you can play alone" on)
"You can play alone... but we'll be watching!"

BTW i agree that the always online thing is shitty, though i think the new art direction is much cooler (despite really enjoying the original, back in the day).

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 01:15:42 PM »
There are a bajillion multiplayer pirate simulators out there. This one has characters with pig noses.

…I'm not feeling great about the chances here.

Huff

• stronger ties you have, more power you gain
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 01:57:38 PM »
Meh this game shouldn’t exist

Let them do what they want with it you bitter wankers
dur

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 03:26:12 PM »
As long as all the funny swearing from the first reveal is still there, I'll be fine.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 03:44:11 PM »
There are a bajillion multiplayer pirate simulators out there. This one has characters with pig noses.

That's quite the reductive argument.
It's a pirate simulator with a full solar system to explore, and quite a unique look, seems like a French sci si graphic novel brought to life.
If they can polish it (and actually sinifh it, of course) it'll be very much different from whatever Atlas or Sea of Thieves are doing.

Momo

• Nebuchadnezzar
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2019, 04:31:08 PM »
I read it might have 8 player co op, start making friends nerds :fbm

Yeti

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2019, 06:50:56 PM »
This game was always destined to be disappointing, at least we know why before it’s even out
WDW

chronovore

• relapsed dev
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 10:58:16 AM »

That's quite the reductive argument.
It's a pirate simulator with a full solar system to explore, and quite a unique look, seems like a French sci si graphic novel brought to life.
If they can polish it (and actually sinifh it, of course) it'll be very much different from whatever Atlas or Sea of Thieves are doing.

To be more clear, I'm a big fan of the first game and have doubts about this kind of genre/design/scope change decision being executed well.

benjipwns

• your bright ideas always burn me

I'm a Puppy!

• Knows the muffin man.
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 03:47:03 PM »
Cool. I guess I don't need to worry about adding this to my backlog.
que