Author Topic: Assassin's Creed Odyssey (also some project stream by Google thoughts)  (Read 2721 times)

Stoney Mason

• So Long and thanks for all the fish
Searched for a thread on the game but couldn't find one so excuse me if I just missed it.

About 15 hours into this game and enjoying it more than I expected. I didn't play Origins but I watched a little of it streaming and I'm pretty sure that game is the one that is basically a blueprint for this one but either way this one is pretty good and I assume is even more a step in this direction.

Basically this franchise is now an action rpg. It's like a poor man's Witcher or Red Dead Redemption. And while it isn't as good as those franchises its certainly credible as a lite rpg. The action portion of the game isn't bad either.

I was always a person who liked the idea of the old AC Creed games more than I liked actually playing them. Even the good ones. The controls were always janky and annoying as fuck. And the story was way to up its own ass.

The action and controls are now fine. They stopped trying to be overly intricate with it and now you can just climb up anything at any time. It feels simplified but the approach is correct. You don't feel frustrated any more. You just climb stuff and it just works. Same with the combat system. It also feels both simplified but still better than what use to exist there. Getting into combat is no longer something I dread in this series.

The story 15 hours in also seems to focus just on the story in the past, rather than that animus and templars versus assassins stuff. Not to say it won't show up as I play more but so far its been focused on telling the story in the past which is much appreciated.

I could nit pick some things. It's a bit repetitive. The rpg systems could be fleshed out even more. But overall I find it generally compelling to play both from a leveling perspective and a story perspective.

Also I should mention I'm playing this on that beta test thing for Google's Project Stream

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/1/17924554/google-game-streaming-test-assassins-creed-odyssey

And I have to say I'm impressed with the cloud nature of the game. It looks good. The latency isn't bad at all if I'm wired up. (I tried wifi and that's noticeably worse since that fluctuates so much) I'm playing on hard and the latency isn't really causing any issues for me at all. Not that its an especially hard game but just saying, I'm not fucking up the timing of combat pretty much at all. This is way beyond that onlive shit from years ago. Frame Rate is 30 but its rock solid never hitch 30.

I don't think consoles or PC's will ever go away. Some people will always want dedicated hardware for gaming for no latency and higher performance especially on the multiplayer side, but I can honestly say, for single player stuff, if it performs as well as this, I'd be interested in having a streaming option to play some of these games. It can only get better and I think this is pretty okay as is. At no point, have I thought, man I wish I was playing this on a PC or on a console. But that's just me.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
Re: Assassin's Creed Odyssey (also some project stream by Google thoughts)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 11:48:46 AM »
Do you meet the connection speed requirement, or exceed it significantly?

How many options do you have control of in the game?

Stoney Mason

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 12:01:55 PM »
Do you meet the connection speed requirement, or exceed it significantly?

How many options do you have control of in the game?

My internet speed is 75 up 75 down. Not sure what they actually recommend. As far as options you have control over everything except any PC style graphical options. Those don't exist in this build but everything else does including remapping buttons or keys. You can use mouse and keyboard but I use the controller as that is what I've always played these games with. It would be interesting to try mouse and keyboard as I could see maybe something like a mouse might suffer in a way that a controller doesn't.

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 01:35:12 PM »
They recommend 25 Mbps at a minimum. I'm wondering how good the experience is when you're exactly at that speed.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »
They recommend 25 Mbps at a minimum.

Interesting. I wish I would have tried it earlier just to mention it. I applied for the beta months ago but honestly forget about it until maybe a week ago and checked an old email. The beta ends like the 15th of this month.

I was really expecting it to be kinda crap which is why I forgot about it.

Other people talking about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ProjectStream/comments/a7knn8/project_stream_worked_amazing_and_hope_it/

For people who aren't into hardware console or PC, I could really see it becoming a netflix kinda thing in the future.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 03:39:28 PM »
I played almost every main Assassin's Creed (i skipped 4 and Rogue, but that's it i think) so i guess you could say i'm a fan of the series, despite having hated with a passion quite a few of them.
I dumped 80+ hours into Origins, and 11 into Odyssey, and i have to say, i personally liked Origins more, so far.

Odyssey has more interesting game design elements (feels closer to a Bioware-style rpg) and the dialogue choices are a genuinely decent way to keep you interested in the story, despite it being the usual tripe Ubisoft writing (like all AC's past 2).
However the setting has just lost a lot of verisimilitude and naturalistic feel (they just went full mythology even with the geography, with giant statues around every corner) this was somewhat true in Origins as well, but it felt more toned down there; plus i guess i like Egypt more than Greece.
And the game just feels less weighty and polished in general, despite being almost a copycat; it's still good fun though, and Origins was the best AC since 2 (being better than it in everything but story, too) so even a step down from it isn't too bad.

In general, i'm very happy with this new formula, because it allows them to explore virtually any historical setting without limits, whereas the past iterations were more tied to the idea of a dense and vertically complex metropolis.
They could do one in pre colonial India, birth of the Persian Empire, Mongol empire, 30 years war, Spanish conquistadores in the Americas, etc etc any number of cool shit, and this gameplay formula would adapt perfectly.

It works on vertical as well as horizontal level design, and allows for really massive and varied maps, with a seamless mix of urban and natural environments.

Origins was a big turning point for the series i think, and it's a shame it got kind of looked over, but at least it seems Odyssey it getting some attention, despite not finding it quite as good, myself.

Bebpo

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 03:55:24 PM »
I watched some vids of Odyssey now that I'm playing Origins and a decent bit into that and wow, it's like identical. I mean some of the other AC games were very similar like Unity/Brotherhood but take Unity/Brotherhood and they play pretty damn different and look totally different because the different cities, also very different vibes. Odyssey literally looks like an expansion pack to Origins in a new setting that still looks pretty similar because all these old as fuck eras are just a lot of sticks and stones and water and dirt outside a few monuments and buildings.

Like I'm sure Odyssey is great since Origins is a ton of fun and everything you say about Odyssey sounds like what I'm getting out of Origins (rpg-lite). But having played every AC game through Origins except Rogue (I've tried a couple times but goddamn it is so dated post-Unity movement and mission design it's really hard to play), Odyssey is the first one I'm thinking I'll just skip over completely. Like I'm sure it's just as good as Origins or better, but it feels kinda like you can only play one between Origins/Odyssey since they're both huge/long and kinda shallow games that you mostly just play for some light questing/story/exploration.

Plus I'm weird and old Greece doesn't do much for me. I'd rather play God of War for mythical Greek architecture adventure than actual sticks and stones and mountains Greek. I like Origins because Egypt feels pretty fresh for me since I don't know a ton about ancient Egypt but I've always liked Egyptian art design (so does Japan, hence stuff like Zone of Enders).

Differing from Don Rumata above though, I hope they're done with this formula after Origins/Odyssey just like Unity/Syndicate's ONE CITY design (which was kinda a really bad idea in the first place). I'd like to get back to like 1400s+ era with more built up places again but with the advancements in movement/combat and questing. I think the biggest gameplay improvement I'd like coming from Origins is more depth in the questing. I'm fine with the combat being relatively simple and the exploration is fine but can always be improved a little more, but the core quests could still use some depth. Also the stealth. Shallow stealth is not very fun anymore tbh.

Maybe it's time for AC to do a sci-fi futuristic one next? Idk, something different and they're moving away from historical accuracy anyhow. Give me a full on fantasy sci-fi AC even if it's a spinoff in some China 2030 or something.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:00:26 PM by Bebpo »

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 04:05:32 PM »
Next one in 2020 is supposed to be Imperial Rome and close out this trilogy (so said the rumor, pre-Origins' announcement, which was pretty accurate so far).

I don't want them to move away from the historical setting, because it's the one thing it does that is wholly unique.
Almost every single "historical game" out there, is either a strategy game, or some euro-junk ridden affair (like Mount and Blade-ish) so to have a AAA(A) action game in such settings, is a rare treat, if you're into the idea.

Sci-Fi and fantasy games though are a dime a dozen, on the other hand; which is another reason why i don't much care for the more mythological bent they are taking with Odyssey.
Moving...away from....history accuracy? As in the games have been heavy on historical accuracy until now?
Hey it's one thing to portray historical fact as accurately as Ridley Scott's the Gladiator, but it's another to be set in some Tolkien-esque fantasy land with dragons and shit.

Bebpo

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2019, 04:59:56 PM »
Rome would be dumb. We already got Rome in Brotherhood! Also 3 games of this style would be too much. Although I guess if there’s a year gap it’ll be a different style, but still ugh at already re-using cities when there’s so many places they haven’t touched yet.

Moving...away from....history accuracy? As in the games have been heavy on historical accuracy until now?

They’ve been close enough to be Hollywood accurate for a while, but Odyssey is moving away and even Origins kinda moves away because they’re so far back in time not enough info exists so they have to just make it up i.e. there’s a YouTube video that the whole city of Alexandria visually is made up since there’s very little info on what it actually looked like besides some monuments like the lighthouse.

Stoney Mason

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 05:05:26 PM »
Don't give a shit about "historical" accuracy. Just set me in old world times and I'm good.

Don Rumata

• Hard To Be A John
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 05:55:39 AM »
Rome would be dumb. We already got Rome in Brotherhood! Also 3 games of this style would be too much. Although I guess if there’s a year gap it’ll be a different style, but still ugh at already re-using cities when there’s so many places they haven’t touched yet.
Hey, Renaissance Rome and ancient Rome aren't exactly the same, but i see what you mean (though i guess i'm biased).
On the other hand i think they can take this "style" and apply it to so many different historical context, while changing some elements and keep pushing the rpg aspect.
They had like 9 based on the old structure anyway.

As a consumer though, i think it's wise to either skip 1 every other year (to avoid fatigue) or better yet, just get one when the time period REALLY grabs you, so that you sink 80 hours into it, and then have a big chunk of time to clean your palate.

Nintex

• Finish the Fight
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 07:18:16 AM »
Some cool settings for Assassins Creed to tackle
- Spain/Portugal (age of discovery with ships looking for new lands)
- Dutch golden age (the rise of Amsterdam as the trade hub of the world as well as the East India Company)
- Prussia/Bismarck and the Unification of the german kingdoms
- Imperial Russia

I believe Ubisoft said in a recent interview that next gen technology would allow them to set Assassins Creed in multiple settings at once.
Giving the player the option to travel between them. 
🤴

kingv

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 08:57:59 AM »
How you even supposed to be sneaky in wooden shoes?

Akala

• Easy Victor
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 09:18:05 AM »
:lol

I was always a person who liked the idea of the old AC Creed games more than I liked actually playing them. Even the good ones. The controls were always janky and annoying as fuck. And the story was way to up its own ass.

I feel this.

I got origins on black friday despite having no time to play it. am looking forward to. kinda ambivalent to Egyptian history so that was a skip, really haven't played an asscreed this gen yet.

MMaRsu

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2019, 02:13:06 PM »
No one wants to play a game set in the Netherlands shut the fuck up you stupid cunt

Probably true

Even Patrice Desilet's game set in Amsterdam was cancelled  :lol

Cool idea though

What

tiesto

• ルカルカ★ナイトフィーバー
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 02:57:41 PM »
India would be a perfect setting for Assassins Creed imo.
^_^

Rufus

• 🙈🙉🙊
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 03:05:57 PM »
They did India (and China, Russia) in that 2.5D series not too far back.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed_Chronicles

Unsure of what that means though. Is the setting now 'spent'? :idont

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 03:37:40 PM »
How you even supposed to be sneaky in wooden shoes?

There were clogs called smokkelklompen, (Smuggler's clogs.) which had the soles reversed so when you left footprints it'd look like you were going the other way.

Svejk

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 09:03:10 AM »
I played a decent little bit of Project Stream also.  I was relatively impressed.  Using my wireless TP-Link with 100Mbps max down, it ran pretty well. (My internet speed is higher, need to upgrade my router)  With the occasional buffering spotting, the controls were pretty much dead on with no hiccups at all... Like playing on a console or PC..  I'm gonna guess it was running off what was probably an BonerX, because it looked relatively cleaner with the lighting and up close textures when compared to the base PS4 version I'm balls deep in.   The HUGE difference I noticed though, holy shit did the stream load at about 1/3 -1/2 of the time the PS4 one takes...  which is pretty fucking awesome.   I was seriously impressed with the overall quality.   I let my kids play with it for about an hour or 2 (just flying around with Ikaros) and it had no issues with stuttering or anything.  Hoping with the extended time my kids played, I can get a PC key they're promising.

As for my PS4 play through, I'm about 60+ hours in and about half way through the game.  It really is a fantastic game, but I feel it's a bit too bog for it's own good.  I'm taking a break from it to play shit on my PSVR, which I'm totally infatuated with right now. 

kingv

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 09:40:49 AM »
Have you played Astro Bot???!!!!

It is game of the lifetime.

Please respond.

Svejk

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2019, 09:51:19 AM »
Have you played Astro Bot???!!!!

It is game of the lifetime.

Please respond.
lol Astrobot is most likely my GOTY.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 10:01:50 AM by Svejk »

thisismyusername

• GunOn™! Apply directly to forehead!
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2019, 07:39:50 PM »
I watched some vids of Odyssey now that I'm playing Origins and a decent bit into that and wow, it's like identical. I mean some of the other AC games were very similar like Unity/Brotherhood but take Unity/Brotherhood and they play pretty damn different and look totally different because the different cities, also very different vibes. Odyssey literally looks like an expansion pack to Origins in a new setting that still looks pretty similar because all these old as fuck eras are just a lot of sticks and stones and water and dirt outside a few monuments and buildings.

Well, there is some new things from the small-bits I've played (just the first island right now), like the horse-back riding: You can jump off it now (you could do it in Brotherhood and Revelations, but it was kinda awkward) and there is the Mass Effect-esque dialogue system. Plus when you're near items, you can see if they're lootable (and the stealing system is new), but they still have the "animus hack" as a skill (for "Assassin") which is :doge

But man, seeing Alexios (or Kassandra, kinda dumb they're from the same family, I forsee seeing the other gender when you finally reach the Assassin's) do the "walk out of water and shake off" animations that Bayek does in Origins is off-putting. They have a AAA team and most asset flips, but can't change the animation rigging, really?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2019, 07:44:52 PM by thisismyusername »

thisismyusername

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 11:06:41 PM »
What do you know, Kassandra (or Alexios if you played as the girl I guess) is part of the Templars. Quelle Surprise!  :anhuld

thisismyusername

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 10:24:17 PM »
Man, this drags. I'm up to like Chapter 7 of 9 and have like 20 more quests in the storyline to do. :doge

Finally got back to Sparta... only to be sent on a quest half-way around the "world" to do two things to get my family's house back. :lol

HardcoreRetro

• Punk Mushi no Onna
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 04:04:48 AM »
15 hours of content smeared across like 80 hours of mandatory gameplay. If it was as polished as Origins it wouldn't rub me the wrong way as much as it does.

thisismyusername

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2019, 11:36:15 PM »
15 hours of content smeared across like 80 hours of mandatory gameplay. If it was as polished as Origins it wouldn't rub me the wrong way as much as it does.

I kinda agree with this. The grind for the main-quest is dumb. I feel like Greece is wayyy too huge for it's own good.

Anyway, finished.

Spoilers for anyone that cares: https://twinfinite.net/2018/10/assassins-creed-odyssey-all-endings-how-get/

Got the best ending. Though it's kinda dumb. Because you
spoiler (click to show/hide)
get up to the mountain with your mom, Kassandra/Alexios is there, and you're like "well, I'm not going to fight you" and this is AFTER they've tried to kill you like 3 times. You sitting there like a lamb after telling them: "The cult has been using you. Leave them." And they're like "no, they told me you (the mom) abandoned me! I have a destiny!" only to heel-turn on that suddenly because of said "lamb"-ing is kinda funny.

Also I never did the real father sidequest but apparently that doesn't matter to the endings.  :doge :doge :doge
[close]

Ubisoft could've wrote that bit a bit better. But I didn't want to kill them because 1) it wasn't their fault that they were flung from the mountain and 2) they deserved to know the truth. *shrug*

Overall: I didn't mind it, and it's nice to see Ubisoft try to RPG-ize the game, but at the same time: I hate how slow the leveling was. I got to 50 right as I finished the game, but good lord the number of forts and shit you have to clear to level up is mind-numbing. Origins felt faster to level. I get they want to earn micro-transactions, but fuck that: Make the leveling a least reasonable or you'll turn people off before you get the booster whales.